Menu

Ignore this thread!

43 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

You've gone through some big changes recently and have a lot going on.  Maybe it's good to take a week or so and take some time to just relax.

I tried to find a Fill Me Up song but I kept thinking "Build Me Up, Buttercup" but that didn't seem to be right.  

I've been doing a lot of resting and want to start a healthy routine again. My lack of routine is affecting the family.

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

Laundry.  I think we need a laundry song.  Or maybe a laundry haiku.  

Servant. We need laundry servants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I used to watch the Monkee's on tv but I guess it must have been repeats since it looks like it was on in 1966 and I probably watched in 1976.  We didn't have cable back then so where did they put on really old reruns?

Okay, so I may have played that whole video and sang along.

Superstation WTBS was our source. They had all SORTS of quality TV.  🙂

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning? 

I was up early and dozed off again until I got a facetime call from dd12.  She and ds14 are doing really well!  They are going to see a volcano this morning and maybe will get to go on a forest zipline.  

I should get something done now.  Laundry and kitchen.  

Coffee!

Isn't technology grand? It makes the stretching of the umbilical cord almost tolerable.

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Beautiful table.

I slept well after taking Dayquil but was up pretty early thanks to the damn dog.   Then couldn't really get back to sleep so decided to get up and head to the science center early, get that done with, so I could come home and do laundry all day.   Had to feed the turtle today, he was happy to see me.

I sent a breakfast order to the closest Panera (about 10 minutes away), left to pick it up and go to the science center so I could eat while Flop (the turtle) eats.  Then thought the check and realized I sent the order to the wrong Panera.    So had to drive to the one by dd's TKD dojo which is about 20 minutes from home.  Not a huge difference but still annoying, especially because I'm driving dh's Suburban and I hate that thing.  And it has no air conditioning at the moment. 

I need to figure out a way to clean out the cockroach tank.  I want to replace all the bedding before we go on vacation.  I use coconut husk which I can wet down really well to keep it humid while we are gone, plus it really needs to be cleaned out.   Needed it weeks ago but that's when I found the babies.   I need to find something to hold all of them while I'm cleaning it out.  I had a container that worked for mom and dad, but the babies are small enough to get out.   Then I need to figure out how I'm going to get all the babies into the new container without losing any of them.  Maybe a big spoon.   I don't care if I get a small amount of bedding out with them but I don't want to lose any of them (don't need madagascar hissing cockroaches breeding in the walls).  I don't think any of them are burrowed down into the substrate, but will need to stir it up and check for each part before I remove it.  

Umm. Well. I could help, but somehow I don't think you'd appreciate my methods. 😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Laundry is done.  We went to Home Depot to look over options for replacing our front porch railings, which have deteriorated to the point of being unsafe in some places, especially the stairs.  I would prefer the super-duper wood composite "never paint again" materials, but they are more than twice the cost and it is questionable that we could do it ourselves and using a contractor would quadruple the price.

Imma eat a pickle.

• Like 3

I delegate most laundry to dd15.

In exchange, I drive her to the dojo every weekday, sometimes twice a day. She considers laundry a small price to pay 🙂

(you know those kids who are super intense about their passions? Somehow I got one. Single minded doesn't begin to cover it...)

• Like 7

My kids do all their own laundry.  Because they can do it and it's a useful skill. Roommates generally combine everything together.  I'm pretty sure they don't separate colors.  They do all seem to suffer with "small laundry item droppage syndrome", and occasionally I have to gather them all together downstairs and tell them to take care of all that misc. stuff that has escaped the baskets.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of doing a 5K this December. I need a new thing to train for and it needs to not be a mountain. I wanted to do a marathon years ago but death by cervix. Now I'm out of shape (I was fat but had great endurance, now I'm just fat) but I think my insides are ready for good training again. I think. There's a yearly Rock and Roll Marathon here every December. There's a marathon, half marathon, 10K, 5K and a 1 mile kids run. John is going to train for the kids run. They actually have a training plan in place that has you running a little more each day and in the end you have run 25.2 miles. A marathon is 26.1 miles so on the day of the race the kid finishes the length of a marathon throughout their entire training period and race. The kids run is right before the 5K and 10K so I or Matt could run with John and then they could go out for a gluten-filled breakfast while I run the 5K.

• Like 5

Dh finally agreed I could get a free-standing heavy bag for the science center.   That's part of the reason I'm doing so much cleaning and reorganizing, but not the main reason.  The new bookcases/cubes are the main reason.  And that the fire marshall made me move one cabinet and it's in a totally sucky spot now so I wanted to empty it so it could come back home and go back into our garage.   

So, anyway.  I have a heavy bag that will sit in the unused half of my classroom on a foam mat.  When I want to use it, I have other foam mats to put around it (they're like puzzle pieces), a docking bay for my ipod and I'm all set.   I spent a lot of time hanging out after classes waiting for my tutoring students when there's no sense in going all the way home and back again.  That's probably when I'll use it mostly - after classes are done for the day before I go home.   I don't want to do it before classes because kick-boxing is sweaty.  I'm going to do yoga and/or Tai Chi in the mornings before classes/camps.  

That's my workout/get in shape/need more flexibility plan.

• Like 6

My kids fold (sort of) and put away their own laundry but I wash it all because I don't separate it out that much.  I do separate out whites, towels (both are washed on hot with occasional bleach), delicates (both dd and I have a few items that need cold and low agitation), and then everything else goes together.  

I was trying to have each kid "do" their laundry a different day of a week.  Have them put whites in the group laundry hamper, everything else in the washer, then I would start it (because the setup is a problem for them to do it).  When it was done, they would put it in the dryer (needed a reminder), then get it out when finished and fold and put it away.   But since I was only home for the very beginning, they would lose track of time and wet clothes would sit in the washer, then they wouldn't be dry by bedtime, then the next days laundry would be all off.  Plus, it felt like a waste doing such a small load, but if they do it every other week that might work. 

Now that I'm thinking about this, maybe I can try again on the week's I don't have camps.  I will be home most of the day, other than trips over to take care of animals and plants.  I can make sure they get reminded and we might be able to come up with a system that will work when school starts up again in September.  Hmmmmm, I may need to consider this.

Of course, the other problem was I would forget for a while, we'd all be overwhelmed with the quantity of laundry and it would be easier to just do it all together than to have them doing theirs separately.  

• Like 3

When we lived in our first apartment in Oregon I was always on top of laundry. Everyone always had clean clothes, clean sheets and clean towels. When we moved into our second apartment I was always behind. We were always going to bed without underwear under our jammies! In this apartment I'm on top of it. Always. I don't have any laundry to do. There is half a load in our closet, the kids clothes are now finished and everyone has clean sheets and towels.

The only difference I can see is that in our apartment where I was always behind I had a basket on top of the dryer and threw clothes in the basket instead of holding them and putting them away. I think this meant I didn't have a mental track of what was clean and what wasn't. We would that thing high too. Sometimes it would fall over. I got really tired of that being a problem and refused to bring that basket with us. Now when a load is done I throw it on my bed. Once an entire type of clothing is finished, like after both loads of kids clothes are done I fold them and put them away. I don't know if that's what made the difference but it's the only thing I can think of.

• Like 2

The thing that has made laundry much more manageable here is having two washer and dryer sets. We added the second set last year; with a family this size it helps a lot to be able to do two loads at once. Now I just wish I had a laundry chute.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have effectively planned out my new schedule, workout plans, and race day (which is 6 months from now, I just wanted to see on paper if it was too much of an inconvenience for the kids).

I love writing things down. It's doing them that's the problem.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I am caught up on laundry.  Except for one swim towel and some kitchen towels.  Oh, and the towels in my bathroom (ahem, probably 3-4 more loads up there).  I've never been more caught up than 3 loads behind in maybe a decade.  

So... back when you had 3 small children instead of 13 big ones?

• Like 2

I pruned out some excess zucchini leaves and moved the potted lavender to the front yard, in hopes that more sun will make it happy enough to bloom.  We had steak tacos for dinner with leftover steak.  We have steak so rarely that the past couple dinners have seemed extra luxurious.  :smile:

I bought myself a new steno book for writing things down.  My old one after several years, finally has been filled on every page, front and back.  I don't use it for all my planning, but it seems mostly made up of basic school subject planning/book lists, freezer cooking, and trip planning/packing.

• Like 6

Drove to the fundraiser/ meeting. Met a new staff candidate. Very nice and well qualified. Welcomed her to the team. 

An issue that could have blown up into huge drama has been settled with nary a ripple. Phew!  Answer to prayer. 

Our fundraiser did very well. 

Halfway home. Stopped for dinner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More laundry.

My mother-in-law told me before I ever got married that she was folding clothes in the first year of her marriage and felt physically ill thinking about all of the laundry she would have to fold for the rest of her life. She absolutely hates folding laundry. I truly did not understand that statement. I do not mind folding laundry at all in comparison with other housework. I've been married almost 13 years and still don't mind.

Now, dishes? Bleh. I never want to do dishes again. They're sickening. Not the plates that need to be loaded into the dishwasher, but the pan from this morning that you used to cook eggs in. Gag me with a spoon. I do dishes before the food gets cold or I don't do them. If I outlive my husband I will have to buy new pots and pans all the time because I'll just throw the old ones out.

• Haha 4

I am always behind with the laundry, but I do it because it is the only household chore I kind of like. I have no idea why I like it. I suppose there is something strangely satisfying about grabbing the first t-shirt off a mountain of jumbled clothes, folding it and starting a neat pile, and then grabbing another t-shirt and slowly the mound disappears into neatly folded piles.

• Like 4

Ok, so this is funny. I got a new dress that I love.

https://www.graceandlace.com/collections/dresses-tunics/products/floral-convertible-skirt-dress

except that it’s basically strapless. Last Sunday I wore it to church with a denim jacket over it and it was cute, but I wanted something a little dressier for this wedding reception. So, i’m Looking through my closet and find this old cardigan I got from Target 10 years ago. It’s very light (tissue weight) t-shirt knit and it’s flows and cute, but it’s longish and I just didn’t like the look with the dress. I kept thinking, “a black shrug would really look cute.” And I looked at the ends of the cardigan and tied them together and made and adorable little shrug. And I kept thinking, all these years i’ve Had this cardigan and I never once thought of wearing it that way and it was perfect with the dress.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Good morning, coffee, etc.  

Slache, I think it would be cheaper to eat out than buy news pots and pans so often.  😜  I could do laundry all day, but cooking - ack!  I'll need a week of quiet contemplation to help me plan and a spreadsheet and maybe a drink, lol.   

We'll move in together, I'll cook and do laundry, you'll do dishes and trash. We'll buy a roomba and not wear our glasses so we don't care about the rest.

• Like 3

I've been -only the clothes everyone is wearing- finished with laundry before.   But I have a lot less people than some of you.   The last load of regular clothes is in the washer right now, the dryer is empty because I did that before bed last night.  Then I have the load of whites and it's all done.   The kids already have their baskets in their rooms to fold and put away but I'm sure it hasn't been done yet.  I'll remind them when I throw the ones from the current load on top.  They'll need to be empty to hold the whites since they are small baskets.

Dh is home and taking the kids to the lake later on.  Right now he's at my mom's doing his "other honey-do list".   Snaking her tub, mowing her lawn.  That poor man is constantly doing stuff for too many people.  He's going to need to slow down one of these days, he's turning 63 in August.    I'm not sure if I'll go with them or not.    The weather is going to be nice tomorrow so I plan to go then and invited a bunch of local friends to join us.  I can stay home and clean and finish laundry.

• Like 4

I actually finished most of what I need to do for the coming week:  I made up a presentation on Word for the Tech Tuesday people, and fixed the notes on my Excel.  I prepared for my Escape Room that I'm doing this Tuesday.   I'm going to submit the time for all of that and once I'm paid, I'm letting them know I won't be returning next year..

I have just one day of camp this week and it's one I've done before so that's pretty much all prepared.

I decided the kids are on summer break until we come back from vacation, so not much there although I could get a jump on planning summer school, getting ready for my other camps, classes for next year, etc.  I have a long enough to-do list for the summer that I should never be bored.  

• Like 3

I do also want to relax and go to the lake, read some books (I read Dark Matter by Crouch yesterday), maybe prepare my new bullet journal/notebook/commonplace book.

ETA:  A relaxing and reading booya.  I like that better than a laundry booya!

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm procrastinating starting my evening writing shift because I find I'm tired. I'm fifteen weeks, so I'm coming out of the first trimester fog, but I'm also having a hard time balancing the writing hours with the other six or seven roles on a long-term basis. I was pretty good at it the first two or three projects, but it's more difficult than I expected to output 80,000 words in twenty days every month. I'm sure it will get better. I think this is maybe a completely normal transition and learning phase for beginning to earn a living after being a sahm mom for 9 years. I just need to figure out what the strategies are for this phase.

Preach! 80K in twenty days is an absolute mad haul. I know. I've done it. It helps to have a "down month" when you either do revision, or work the writing output back to something sane like 2000 words per day, and only 40K in a twenty days. That's still roaring, but it does provide a needed period of rest if you are one of those writers who gets wound up and then won't stop. 

• Like 4

I am hitting wound-up-writer phase just in time for July camp. I hit 30K written on projects last week, and have 25K over 5 days planned for this week, along with some short story revisions, submissions, and two synopsis and three more query letters to write for this series that I hope to have on submission either at the end of this year or the start of the first one. That gives me six months to go from first draft to polished, while having the final three books in first draft form with polished submission documents (query, synopses). I can do this.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I do also want to relax and go to the lake, read some books (I read Dark Matter by Crouch yesterday), maybe prepare my new bullet journal/notebook/commonplace book.

ETA:  A relaxing and reading booya.  I like that better than a laundry booya!

Say more things.

27 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Clean and reorganize my entire house.    Train the kids on doing laundry, vacuuming, and maybe a few other things.

Figure out our club display for the 4-H Fair.

Work on plans for the additional 4-H club I'm starting with a friend.

Say less things.

• Haha 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Sunday!!!

It’s VBS Sunday. One service, then church picnic after.

This afternoon we’re heading for the hills. Tomorrow we’re going white water rafting down the Kings River and we’re camping tonight at the place where we start. Well, DH and the kids are camping and rafting. I was going to and then I got hired at my job and tomorrow is our first training. I can’t say I’m broken up about not going. I’m going up with them this afternoon and I’l do burgers and s’mores and then come home. It’s an hour and a half drive from my house, so that’s not bad.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

What did you think of it? It's on my read again list this year. He has a new one coming out either this month or next month (Recursion). I've been keeping an eagle eye on the new books shelf at the library.

I liked it overall.   Toward the end with all the hims was kind of weird but interesting to think about how even a few different experiences can change so much.   I finished it in one day so didn't find it hard to get through.

• Like 1