Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm going to whine for a minute....

Usually when I'm sick, I push through.  I still go to work, do school, do all normal activities, I just medicate and keep going.  Now I'm sick and for a change I actually do what I'm "supposed" to do.  I'm resting A LOT, drinking lots of fluids (okay I do that anyway), went to the doctor and taking my medicine.   But, I don't feel like I'm getting better any faster than I usually do.  and the stupid antibiotics bothered my stomach and kept me up half the night.  and I don't want to be sick anymore. 

I think when I'm continuing my normal activities, I feel crappy but I don't dwell on feeling crappy because I'm busy.   Now I just feel crappy with nothing to distract me from feeling crappy.  

• Sad 9

Survived both doctor appointments. Only 8 minutes late to second appointment. . Both doctors were actually great. 

First doc (allopathic) - everything looks great. I have been promoted to only seeing him every six months (as long as my health stays stable). Since I started out seeing him weekly, then every other week and then for the past few years, every three months, this is huge for me. 

Second doc (naturopathic) was very complimentary of all my hard work. My daily PT is working. He gave me some new exercises to add. I am going to try one new supplement and we have a plan for some meds to try if needed for my muscles . This is huge for me because even three months ago we were at "I don't know what else to suggest. ". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Well, I finished “The Scarecrow” by Michael Connelly. The guy who writes Harry Bosch novels. This particular book was not Harry Bosch, but another of Connelly’s characters. I started it yesterday, finished it today. I swear, I get sucked in to those books. Now I need to get up and get all the work done I should have done yesterday but instead I was reading.😂😩

• Like 4

On 6/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's kind of hard to share because the ingredients are short but it's long on fiddly steps.  It's in volume 1 of the How Can it Be Gluten Free Cookbook.

Basically you melt one pound of chocolate with 1 cup of butter and 1/4 coffee in the microwave.  Beat 8 eggs for about 8 minutes on high until very thick.  Fold eggs in batches into the melted chocolate mixture.  Put in 325 degree oven in a springform pan that is in a water bath for 45 minutes.  Take out and let cool down for 45 minutes before transferring to a rack for 45 more minutes.  Then chill for 12 hours.  (The long chill time is absolutely necessary for it to set.)

Did someone add this recipe to the ITT cookbook?

On 6/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, Slache said:

Ok, but these foods are not supposed to go together.

I...agree. Maybe I should google what this looks like...

• Like 4

I'm still up. I'm working on a handout for tomorrow's workshop, and still haven't come up with a box to put the raffle tickets in for the giveaways. The presentation is done though, and dh cut out all the raffle tickets for me. We leave tomorrow at 7:30am, so I get to sleep in until 6am. Yay! But I'll be at the conference until 6pm and supposed drive back home and then back again on Saturday. Why all the driving you ask? Because Dancer is helping me on Friday, and dh on Saturday. So I have to bring Dancer back, then go up with dh on Saturday. Oh, I need to make a table poster for a couple of things. I just remembered...sigh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ok. I rotated laundry, prepped school, created a menu and filled my cart, emptied the dishwasher and made coffee. We need a new coffee maker.

Matt responded to a guy who wants someone to drive his dad to Oklahoma. I think after gas, food, hotel and daily income the man will decide to buy a plane ticket, but it's worth a shot. What would you charge? Our thoughts:

• Gas TBD
  • Food TBD
  • Hotel TBD
  • Daily income for 2 days
  • $200 profit

We don't know where it is so we don't know how much gas, food, and hotel will be yet. I think it's going to wind up being $1,000 so he should just put him on a plane. He responded asking where in Oklahoma he wants to go and we will respond back with a breakdown explaining the fees.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Truly, milady, all ye olde cookery receipts do require Cool Whip. 😉

So I didn't have time to reply when I saw this yesterday but---WHO RUINS TRIFLE BY PUTTING COOL WHIP IN IT?!?

Whipped cream or pudding are acceptable and delicious, I have never tasted or imagined trifle with cool whip.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The trifle I've had contained pudding, but I do like Cool Whip so I'd be okay with a tiny bit of that on top.  Maybe.  I don't like whipped cream on my ice cream so maybe too much on my trifle wouldn't work either.

Slept crappy again.  Antibiotics seem to have my illness running in reverse - it started in my head/nose, moved to throat, then to chest.  Now it's back in my head/nose and my usual Benedryl isn't even touching it so I'm back to taking Dayquil so I can breathe.   But I believe the end is in sight!  I'm feeling a bit better.

I'm going to head over to the science center today and get started on the work I should have been doing all week.   Lots and lots of organizing to do and I have until Tuesday night to finish it.  I have campers coming Wednesday (I think, they've registered but haven't paid and these ones have bailed out before, we'll see).    Then vacation the following week, then my big Wizard camp the following week.  I have somewhere between 8 and 12 campers coming for that.

Dh is driving down to south Jersey to see his parents again this weekend.  He's taking his mom out to prepay funeral expenses (doesn't that sound like fun, ugh) so they qualify for medicare.   Then she's getting released on Tuesday so he'll be driving back down to take her home and spend a day or two making sure she is able to get around okay by herself.   One of the things they need to take care of isn't here yet so it may not be possible to get Medicare for July 1st which will suck.  

Luckily dh is able to do some work from "home" so he doesn't have to take more time off work with his parents but it does feel like a bad time to take a vacation.  We won't be that far away, about 4 hours driving in PA.

• Like 6

I'm still thinking of trifle 🙂

Favorite trifle memories: visiting my parents' Welsh friends and being served strawberry trifle.

Making blackberry trifle for my brother's birthday every year when we lived in France--his birthday was in August, the perfect time for gathering wild blackberries. We lived across the street from a forest that was full of walking paths; on his birthday us kids would head off into the forest to visit the various blackberry patches and collect enough for trifle.

• Like 9

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Happy Solstice. I heard on the news they’re having a big ol’ shindig today at Stonehenge. 

Nothing going on today here. Gotta take DD1 to get her allergy shots. It’s not supposed to be quite as hot today.☀️☀️👍. VBS is done, so I guess tonight we get to enjoy the fourth installment of the Marvel Summer Film Festival, which, if I remember correctly, will be The Hulk.

i am not feeling wonderful. I’m not really sick, but I just feel slightly achy, kind of like a really mild virus.

• Like 6

In honor of the thread on the chat board I shall inform you that I don't iron. We recieved two irons at our wedding. One I returned despite my husband's objection that one might break or that we might want one on each floor when we bought a house, the other has never been opened.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

In honor of the thread on the chat board I shall inform you that I don't iron. We recieved two irons at our wedding. One I returned despite my husband's objection that one might break or that we might want one on each floor when we bought a house, the other has never been opened.

I iron occasionally. My middle daughter has a chambray dress that she wore to church a couple weeks ago and it looked like it had been wadded up on her floor and then she put it on and went to church, which is actually probably what happened. I was horrified. I ironed that before she wore it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish to report that I iron! Only I don't iron clothes. I wet down the back of my watercolor paintings after they are done and iron them flat so they lay right in the frame. There you go. I iron.

I'm 4,000 words into my writing day and about 1000 away from finishing. Maybe a touch more. I'm itching to get to the next scene in both my WIP, but I really need to lie down this afternoon and just rest for a few hours if I can. It's hard for me to quit when I'm on a roll though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All those not opposed to chocolate in their trifle are invited to my house at Christmas.  (Please come, because then we couldn't possibly go to NY for Christmas with all these guests at our house.)  I will also make a gluten free version, though my house is not celiac-ready.

I have an iron and will use it only when absolutely necessary.  My girls sometimes use it when doing sewing crafts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Trying to get medical care for Dh would be a lot easier if he didn't consistently minimize symptoms. We saw a new doctor yesterday to try to get to the root of his ongoing fatigue. When asked how often he was affected by fatigue he said "a couple hours a week".

The man has missed more than 200 hours of work since January because he could not drag himself out of bed in the morning or had to leave work and come home early because he was so tired. He spends the majority of his time at home in bed, including most of the day on weekends.

This is why I go with him to doctors appointments.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, maize said:

Trying to get medical care for Dh would be a lot easier if he didn't consistently minimize symptoms. We saw a new doctor yesterday to try to get to the root of his ongoing fatigue. When asked how often he was affected by fatigue he said "a couple hours a week".

The man has missed more than 200 hours of work since January because he could not drag himself out of bed in the morning or had to leave work and come home early because he was so tired. He spends the majority of his time at home in bed, including most of the day on weekends.

This is why I go with him to doctors appointments.

(((Maize)))  Has he been tested for sleep apnea?  (Not that you necessarily want to hash out the details here - nor do I have ready advice, but it just struck me as the trendy thing to ask about....)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

(((Maize)))  Has he been tested for sleep apnea?  (Not that you necessarily want to hash out the details here - nor do I have ready advice, but it just struck me as the trendy thing to ask about....)

Yes, he has been tested and does have apnea; he uses a Bi-PAP machine but is still tired.

I appreciate you bringing it up though, it took us a long time to figure out; it wasn't on my radar because he never snores and I associated apnea with snoring.

• Like 2

Fiddle Camp 1 is over and I will say that overall, it was a waste of time and money.  The age group was supposed to be 7-11yo, but it was really geared to about the 5-7 yo range.  I originally signed dd10 up to attend next week's Fiddle Camp 2 with dd16 because the camp description fit her, but the director called me and insisted that she should go to Camp 1 because she's 10 and she promised that dd10 would have opportunities to play her viola and learn new music which did not happen.  Oh well.  

In other news, I went to the used bookstore and found some books for fall literature classes.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I iron on very rare occasions.  Usually it's for crafts like Perler beads or Halloween costumes.   Dh does have one or two dress shirts that need ironing and I will iron them for him.  But he mostly wears khaki type dress pants and wrinkle free shirts to work so it doesn't come up often.  I actually don't think I've ironed a shirt in years.  I think he sent them out the last few times.  

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The ingredients of a trifle aren’t that different from a strawberry shortcake (if you use whipped cream). 

I think I've had a strawberry shortcake trifle.  

I may be confusing a trifle with a parfait.   Layers of pudding/cream/mousse alternating with cake/brownie/cookie and possibly fruit and whipped cream.   

• Like 3

I went by the science center for a few hours today.   I had all my supplies (except chemicals which I had already put back into the chemical closet) out on tables to reorganize, sort, and put away again.  I have one walk-in closet with shelves and no door, two sets up 9 cubes, and three 3 foot high bookshelves.    And tons of stuff.  Tons and tons and TONS of stuff.  Sooooo much stuff.    

For the closet I have things in photo boxes or plastic shoe boxes with labels, the cubes have canvas bins and the random stuff goes on the shelves or in empty spaces in the closet.   

I got most of it put away, hardest part was trying to decide what best went in shoe boxes/photo boxes, what warranted a full canvas bin, what could be out on shelves and what should be out of reach/sight of children.   I think the arrangement should work.   All that is left is some bits and pieces, then redoing the lobby area with bookcases and my desk, then tackling the kitchen.  Need to get it all done before we go on vacation since I have a full week of camp with lots of campers the week we come back.

Need to decide if I'm going to make the kids do school next week, or if I'm just going to call these few weeks "summer vacation" and start back up after we get back.

• Like 6

So, I was doing intermittent fasting and having bone broth in my tea because it kept the tea from bothering my stomach (I usually can't drink tea on an empty stomach).   When I stopped IF, I stopped the bone broth too.  No reason to stop it, I just had been using it for a specific purpose and that purpose no longer applied.   And my achy back and shoulders that I used to have came back.  And it occurred to me that maybe the bone broth had been helping that (since it supposedly does help that kind of stuff).  So I started taking it in my tea again.  And my back and shoulders stopped aching so much.   

So, not proof of anything but I didn't really change anything else except the bone broth.   I think I'm a believer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3