Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dd16 said she heard a train the other night during the big storm. I told her it must have been a tornado - the nearest train is over a mile away as the crow flies.  😁

As a child, one of my college music theory professors (unknowingly) had perfect pitch and could tell what time it was by the pitch of the train whistle that was going by. It wasn’t until he was much older that he discovered not everyone can do that. (Or maybe I should say not everyone can do it easily and/or without intensive memory training.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd16 said she heard a train the other night during the big storm. I told her it must have been a tornado - the nearest train is over a mile away as the crow flies.  😁

As a child, one of my college music theory professors (unknowingly) had perfect pitch and could tell what time it was by the pitch of the train whistle that was going by. It wasn’t until he was much older that he discovered not everyone can do that. (Or maybe I should say not everyone can do it easily and/or without intensive memory training.)

That is so cool!  

• Like 2

Our nearest train track is well over a mile away, down the mountain and over the lake. I can hear it. Now, it needs to be a quiet, cool, damp evening, but I can hear it. 

I worked this morning. I'm very tired now and I want a nap, but I don't take naps well. So I'll take a bath and write instead. Just down and unhappy today, although I was fine this morning.

• Like 4

Jean, Juliet is a beautiful dog!

I feel like I saw another dog recently, but it was late at night, but remember it was beautiful shepherd. Whose dog is that?

I just got an email that my workshop proposal has been approved and I"ll be speaking at our state's homeschool convention in June (exhibitor workshop). Boy, do I have some work to do!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Jean, Juliet is a beautiful dog!

I feel like I saw another dog recently, but it was late at night, but remember it was beautiful shepherd. Whose dog is that?

I just got an email that my workshop proposal has been approved and I"ll be speaking at our state's homeschool convention in June (exhibitor workshop). Boy, do I have some work to do!

Ikslo has the beautiful shepherd 

• Like 4

So, we got the email from dd's TKD instructors saying they were moving to a new location very suddenly.  The main instructor was partners with the owners of a MMA dojo.  He handled the TKD and kickboxing there.   THEN, we got an email from the owners of the old dojo (who do MMA and jujitsu stuff but not the TKD), saying that the TKD instructor was terminated and they will be resuming classes on Monday with a new schedule.

I'm not really sure what to think.  I feel like I need to know what happened so I can make a decision on whether we stay with the dojo but new instructors or go with the instructors.   Dd liked her instructors.   I don't feel it was the most rigorous training (nobody failed belt tests and everyone took them at the same intervals) but dd was gaining skills and confidence, and it was good exercise, and really that's all we were expecting from it, so it worked for our needs.  One issue was the class age could range from 4 year olds on up and she is an adult sized 11 year old.  Once or twice she mentioned things that I felt could be safety issues with kids that young acting like kids that young tend to.   

I do think the old dojo with the new teachers is likely to be more rigorous.  I know their kids jujitsu is pretty rigorous and they do competitions.   Dd has anxiety so competitions would definitely not be something she is interested in but they probably aren't required.  She is aware that the training is not rigorous, but she was scheduled to test for her black belt in June and was excited by that.   I do plan to ask her what she wants to do, but I'd like more information first.  

So in this situation, what are some of the questions you would ask?   I guess I'd want to ask things of both sides.   

Schedule is not really an issue for us since we homeschool and our evenings are pretty open, and the physical location is unlikely to be an issue since both are in the same general area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

So, we got the email from dd's TKD instructors saying they were moving to a new location very suddenly.  The main instructor was partners with the owners of a MMA dojo.  He handled the TKD and kickboxing there.   THEN, we got an email from the owners of the old dojo (who do MMA and jujitsu stuff but not the TKD), saying that the TKD instructor was terminated and they will be resuming classes on Monday with a new schedule.

I'm not really sure what to think.  I feel like I need to know what happened so I can make a decision on whether we stay with the dojo but new instructors or go with the instructors.   Dd liked her instructors.   I don't feel it was the most rigorous training (nobody failed belt tests and everyone took them at the same intervals) but dd was gaining skills and confidence, and it was good exercise, and really that's all we were expecting from it, so it worked for our needs.  One issue was the class age could range from 4 year olds on up and she is an adult sized 11 year old.  Once or twice she mentioned things that I felt could be safety issues with kids that young acting like kids that young tend to.   

I do think the old dojo with the new teachers is likely to be more rigorous.  I know their kids jujitsu is pretty rigorous and they do competitions.   Dd has anxiety so competitions would definitely not be something she is interested in but they probably aren't required.  She is aware that the training is not rigorous, but she was scheduled to test for her black belt in June and was excited by that.   I do plan to ask her what she wants to do, but I'd like more information first.  

So in this situation, what are some of the questions you would ask?   I guess I'd want to ask things of both sides.   

Schedule is not really an issue for us since we homeschool and our evenings are pretty open, and the physical location is unlikely to be an issue since both are in the same general area.

I would want to know if the alleged termination was due to actual wrongdoing or just a falling out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just like old times.  The College Boys have taken over the living room and are filling my house with a "wall of sound" from their electric guitars. 

I accidentally clicked on your profile and now I'm on the people that have viewed your profile. Please note that I was not stalking you, it was an accident.

Not that I am above stalking you in anyway.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I know the truth.  You, Stalker, you. 

Speaking of commas, I found a real example of "Let's eat Grandma," only they said to cook a friend or family member. Except, that's not what they actually meant...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I wasn't sure where to put the commas.  Does one belong before Stalker? 

I'm not sure. I'm just sure that kid didn't really want to cook their family members and friends. 😂

• Haha 1

My husband hates bugs.

Matt: Come out now! This is your last chance to die with honor.
Slache: What are you doing?
M: Quiet woman! I am henceforth in battle with a creature of one thousand legs!
S: Henceforth?
M: Thus.
S: They only have six legs.
M: Silence, woman.
S: The rest are-
M: RACHEL!
S: Feelers.
M: *nearly passes out, looses the battle of the millipede*
S: *sets millipede free outside*

Bugs everywhere rejoice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I have no qualms killing uninvited creatures found in my home or garden.

In other news, I think I've caught the 96-hour plague from ds14.  I'll sterilize my iPad so it doesn't infect the ITT, though you may want to double up on the chocolate just to be safe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I wasn't sure where to put the commas.  Does one belong before Stalker? 

Put them everywhere. I love commas almost as much as I love exclamation points!!!!!! One can never have too many!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I kill pests. I set bugs outside.

I once had a conversation online with a man from the UK. He said that people across the pond always know they're speaking to an American because we use so many commas.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!  Coffee is ready.

Slache - I have no advice, but sounds like you got some good replies already.

Junie, that was a lot to come home to!  Glad you got to nap.

WT, that is a frustrating situation!  Another thing to consider is how long it will take the former instructor to find a new place (or does he have one already and I missed that?).  If they were partners, then the word "termination" doesn't sound completely honest.  But it's possible the former instructor didn't run as tight a ship as he should have - regarding testing, training, safety, behaviors, etc.  I hate it when stuff like that happens.  Hope you can get some good information for making a decision.  

• Like 6

Toto: I just had a thunk. My short person loves Marcus Zuzak's books. The Messenger is her favorite. She also likes Vonnegut and Asimov. Oh, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Random thinking on  a Sunday morning. Perhaps I should go shower, as we must leave for church in half an hour?

• Like 6

Good morning!

Slept late! I think the cold-eeze might be helping, also.  I will need to go pick up the girls from church after Sunday School in a couple hours - ds23 is running sound and dh has deacon/ushering duty.  Then I need to bring dd12 to a rehearsal and short orchestra performance.

Slache, I think after-school care and "preschool care (?)" sound like good options - maybe start advertising in your immediate area? The day care options we used a long time ago had 7am to 6pm hours, but I suspect the time expanded due to traffic issues, working late, etc.

Coffee!

• Like 7

Morning. Art show this afternoon. I'm doing some writing and having a second cup of tea today. Getting ready to dive into my third book of one series and really drive to finish that one by the end of this month. It would be probably about another 45K to 50K, and I can do that pretty easily. Stay busy. Keep my mind working forward.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Toto: I just had a thunk. My short person loves Marcus Zuzak's books. The Messenger is her favorite. She also likes Vonnegut and Asimov. Oh, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Random thinking on  a Sunday morning. Perhaps I should go shower, as we must leave for church in half an hour?

Spoke to short person in car. Caveat on Vonnegut: he is very dark. If your child likes Fahrenheit 451's hopeful ending,  he won't necessarily appreciate Vonnegut. The Martian Chronicles.  For fluffy stuff, The Hunger Games trilogy (the first is most well-written, the third most thought-provoking but a bit rushed at the end) and Divergent,  but only Divergent,  not the rest of the series b/c they stunk. She's not read his novels yet,  but enjoyed  Philip K. Dick's short stories. If he likes Bradley's writing style, he might want to explore Bradley's short stories (extensive body of work.) There's more, but I've forgotten. 

• Like 3

Back from church. Our Sunday School class did the worship service at the retirement home affiliated with our denomination. It was nice.

Oh wow, I got a Booya/h for that!!! It’s a Serving Others Booya/h!!!

Edited by KrissiK
It’s a Booya/h
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1