Menu

Ignore this thread!

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Everything on the news scared me when I was a kid.  Especially when it had to do with radiation.  Like that and movies about Russia bombing us, etc.

Do you remember The Morning After? It was ridiculous and hysterical...but it was scary. Red Dawn was as silly, but I liked it better. 🙂 (There were a bunch of "oh noes the worldz gonna end" movies and such. And then the Wall came down. Genre over. 🙄)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Oh no!  You’re scaring me!  😳😩😢

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

4 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Many people have said they owe more this year because of tax changes even if their income, etc., stayed the same.

We got a higher refund with a lower income but fewer kids in college.  It's so weird.  I have this nagging feeling that some day a few years from now the IRS will come knocking on my door because we didn't enter something right and we'll owe them $7 squillion in back taxes and penalties.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Angi, make a grocery list!

Happy Friday!  It's rainy and gloomy here and that kind of matches my mood.  Still feeling somewhat cranky.   

I did find a new activity to do for class since I couldn't get potato starch in time.    I'm woefully unprepared for D&D this afternoon but I can pretty much wing it there.   Tomorrow's science day is something I've done a bunch of times before so I can do that even if I'm feeling sluggish and cranky.  It will just be a long day.  

• Like 3

Good morning!

Angi, don't forget to do the thing!

Today is our Big City Family Adventure.  We'll start out at the library to check out their exhibits, then walk to the Art Museum (new VanGogh and Friends exhibit and we'll spend some time in the art lab), have lunch, maybe toodle over to the city's first indoor shopping mall, or if the weather behaves, we can walk down to the riverfront park.  The Cathedral is having their annual Bach festival that starts at 4, so we'll go listen to that for a bit and then head back home for dinner.

Coffee!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Fun fact. Our amazingly talented director is now being helped by the woman who runs music ministries at the parish. She is just amazing and sings with the state opera and plays violin with the state philharmonic. They were BOTH homeschooled.  🙂

That's awesome!  And I love that your schola is bearing fruit.  So thrilled for you!

• Like 1

I am back. Shots are done, then I dropped DD off at home and ran errands. I hate errands.... gas station, post office, library AFSA Pharmacy, bank. Bleh!!, and now phone calls. We have 4 mature Palm trees that need grooming, I’m trying to get a good tree service, and I tried calling Lowe’s to talk to the flooring guy, but nobody picked up..... do these people not understand how hard it is for me to make phone calls??.

• Like 3

My digestive system is unhappy again, so I am on a self-imposed liquid diet for a day or two.  Hopefully not more than that.  I'm hungry!

I need to go make dinner in a few minutes.  I have a feeling that the steak fajitas that I have planned for tonight's dinner are not in my future.

I get chicken broth and maybe V-8.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I am so unhappy.  We just had our third? chem lab in a row fail.  Since it involved gas in sealed ampules, there is nothing I can do to check to see if they even put the gas in there or if we got empty ampules or if the gas all leaked out somehow since we bought the kit, or what.  I really really like the Spectrum chemistry books and even the labs when they work but I am getting super frustrated.  And since all the labs are now failing 7 months after we bought a kit designed to last 9 months, I really wonder if the problem isn't the age of the materials.  But somehow they should have allowed for that? 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am so unhappy.  We just had our third? chem lab in a row fail.  Since it involved gas in sealed ampules, there is nothing I can do to check to see if they even put the gas in there or if we got empty ampules or if the gas all leaked out somehow since we bought the kit, or what.  I really really like the Spectrum chemistry books and even the labs when they work but I am getting super frustrated.  And since all the labs are now failing 7 months after we bought a kit designed to last 9 months, I really wonder if the problem isn't the age of the materials.  But somehow they should have allowed for that? 

What are the labs that didn't work?    Gases can be tricky to work with since they disperse so easily and you can't see them.   Most of my chem labs work but I don't use kits and most I try to test out ahead of time.   

I finished my plans for tomorrows science day.  I think it will go well.  Hopefully it will go well.  I have limitations (no wet messy stuff) that I don't usually have with my classes and workshops.  

One more week (plus two days for snow makeup) to my Winter session, a few days off (but not really) and then my Spring sessions starts.  Last one of the year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

What are the labs that didn't work?    Gases can be tricky to work with since they disperse so easily and you can't see them.   Most of my chem labs work but I don't use kits and most I try to test out ahead of time.   

I finished my plans for tomorrows science day.  I think it will go well.  Hopefully it will go well.  I have limitations (no wet messy stuff) that I don't usually have with my classes and workshops.  

One more week (plus two days for snow makeup) to my Winter session, a few days off (but not really) and then my Spring sessions starts.  Last one of the year.  

Iodine in sealed ampules in different temperatures. It isn’t something I can set up for myself. Don’t have the equipment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

My digestive system is unhappy again, so I am on a self-imposed liquid diet for a day or two.  Hopefully not more than that.  I'm hungry!

I need to go make dinner in a few minutes.  I have a feeling that the steak fajitas that I have planned for tonight's dinner are not in my future.

I get chicken broth and maybe V-8.

I need to do this. I've been saying I'll do a Daniel Fast again since my system adjusted so well on it (basically vegetarian), but I'm beginning to think I need to just do liquids for a week or something. I feel messed up regardless of what I put in my mouth lately.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

How are you guys doing?

Doing good!  Spring is here! Hate doing taxes!  Dd20 was audited by FAFSA, but it didn't take 6 months to resolve like ds23's audit.

Your music is beautiful!  Sounds complex - you all must be very good. I want to sing with you.

#scholawannabe

We are back from the Big City Adventure.  The art exhibit was very nice and we had fun in the art lab.  I did a colored pencil still life of flowers in a vase and made a stop motion picture thing.  We had lunch at Oscar's Taco Shop - it took a good half hour to get our order.  They have no seating so we sat on a short cement wall in front of a church to eat.  Then we walked to the river, though the terraced part was coned off due to high water.  We watched a groundhog named Charles for a little while.  Then we walked back to the library and spent a little while toodling around there and got some coffee and then walked to the church for the Bach performances.

Dinner was baked potatoes with toppings.  After ds14 packs for his backpacking trip, we'll play a couple games and have ice cream.

That's all the news from Lake Woebegone.

• Like 4

It is rumored that Jared Campell will be running the Barkley again this year.  Weather is looking really good for the weekend.  You can watch The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats It's Young on Amazon Prime.  Don't be surprised if you get just a little bit obsessed.

#dontmindme

#justalittleobsessed

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I went to the Afsa for the second time today. Though tonight it was for groceries. Now I don’t have to go tomorrow. Gotta pick up the two older kids from the jr. high bonfire in a few minutes.

I read this too fast and was momentarily concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4