Menu

Ignore this thread!

I had a class to teach today, and then I started writing. It's a little different type of writing than I usually do (usually Spanish curriculum supplements), but I'm optimistic about it.

Gymnast had her violin recital today. She was nervous and freaking out up until the point she stood in front of everyone. She did very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ok, so..... this is pretty amazing. My 8 year old, who is finishing up her first year of piano lessons just perfectly transposed one of her lesson songs. She just decided to start on a different note and got the entire song right, chords and all. I am flabbergasted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Good morning!

I need to bring dd16 to tutorial and then might stop by Aldi to pick up a few bags of garden dirt that I forgot to get yesterday.  Dd12 has been cleaning up the long neglected garden bed so she can plant flowers and vegetables.  I think there was some form that I needed to find for dd20's taxes, but I can't remember what it was.  Orchestra rehearsal for me tonight.

Coffee.

• Like 2

Happy Thursday!  Another week almost done.  Last week is the last week of my winter session for all except Monday and Tuesday classes which go an extra week due to snow days.   It's hard to believe I'm almost 3/4 through the first year at my science center.   Things are going better than expected.   I just made some changes to my Spring schedule at the request of a couple families that spend a whole day there.  They are pretty much the only ones affected by the changes but it allowed me to put in extra classes of my most popular class.  Within 15 minutes of posting the change I had two messages from people wanting to sign up.   

I have to go buy potato starch this afternoon.  The article I read said the health food aisle.  I'm not sure my  store has a single health food aisle, anyone know where it might be found?  Would the AFSA have it?

Two classes and some tutoring today, two classes and D&D tomorrow, a 4-H Science Day workshop on Saturday and another week is done.  

Feels like Spring around here (although it's supposed to rain the rest of the week) and I love it (except the stuffy nose).

My dad is home from the rehab center and seems to be doing well.  He had a stent put in and it seems to be helping his energy levels. 

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (I changed my COFFEE~D up this morning. Got some Trader Joe’s brand yesterday when we were there. I must say, it is top notch.)

Thursday!!!

Today is a stay at home day. Which I wish all my days were because I hate going out and doing things.

• Like 4

Well, the tax return is off to a slow start.  I have to update my operating system before I can download turbo tax.  And I have to back up my computer before I can update the operating system.  And I'll have to update the operating system in the morning with off-peak internet, assuming our connection can do it at all.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have to go buy potato starch this afternoon.  The article I read said the health food aisle.  I'm not sure my  store has a single health food aisle, anyone know where it might be found?  Would the AFSA have it?

Look in the baking aisle, with other gluten-free flour-type products. (Be careful not to buy potato flour instead: unlike tapioca starch/flour, it's not the same thing.)

• Like 3

I found a pair of black dress shoes for ds14 for 99 cents!  Yay!  I was really there for rat bedding, but stopped by the shoe racks to check.  Got misc. things at Aldi, got gas in the van, returned books at the library, made a mushroom wine sauce and hot fudge sauce for tomorrow, put pasta in the oven for lunch, and refilled the empty vanilla bottle with vodka and more vanilla beans.  I'm now on my last small batch of vanilla from 2017.

I have not started my workout. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How are you doing this morning, Jean?

I am in a flare but I'm functional.  I got a big camp document out this morning and really really hope that this part of the business end of things gets resolved soon.  I find it stressful. 

ETA - the business itself isn't that stressful.  What is stressful is nagging my board members to follow through on their responsibilities.  The only people I should have to nag are my children! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd10 is having a hard time finding the U.S. on a blank outline map of the world.  She has no idea where South America is.  I am toast.   :sad:

Join the club!!! A Beka history actually does a really good job drilling geography. Or you could just get a nice big world map and drill a few minutes each day.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd10 is having a hard time finding the U.S. on a blank outline map of the world.  She has no idea where South America is.  I am toast.   :sad:

Why are you toast? Is there a test I missed? She's only 10. You can still teach it.

• Like 1

Couldn't find potato starch at the store.  About 4 different people looked and it seems they didn't have it.    They were looking in baking, natural/organic, and kosher food sections.  Now I need to figure out a new plan for tomorrow.  

I'm feeling cranky.  I'm thinking hormonal.  Yippee.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Couldn't find potato starch at the store.  About 4 different people looked and it seems they didn't have it.    They were looking in baking, natural/organic, and kosher food sections.  Now I need to figure out a new plan for tomorrow.  

I'm feeling cranky.  I'm thinking hormonal.  Yippee.  

What are you using it for?  Can you use corn starch instead?

Our day started out great until I realized at the last minute that I accidentally double-booked my daughter and I on the one computer that is still functional. I had a class to teach at 11, she had a Chinese lesson at the same time. They both HAD to be done on the computer because my stuff is on this computer, and her class doesn't work on the phone or tablet. I finally figured out we could use the library. I go to our regular library (opened 10:30), and the children's librarian tells me that was the day they were updating the computers and all the kid computers were off. She suggested I go to our old stomping ground (a library we went to before they built this one).

So, I drive across town, and get there with 10 minutes to spare. I get there and see a school bus. I couldn't believe it! There's never a school bus at the library! Anyway, I go let that children's librarian know what we were up to, and they let us find our spots. Thankfully, they let my daughter use my headset in their computer, but I totally forgot there wouldn't be webcam! I'm glad they let her do class anyway. I find a corner to go to, and had let the librarian know that if any kids happened to wander over my way, they'd just get a free Spanish lesson...

The online platform did NOT like the library wi-fi. I have taught on the other library's wi-fi with no problem, but here, it was a security risk and would not let me bypass it. Thankfully, I have my phone's hotspot. But, it was so wonky, I was getting kicked out every 10 minutes. It was terrible. And it was the very first session of a 10-week class. I just kept apologizing. It was bad. Gymnast came halfway through to give me my headset, and it was just in time because the librarian was just bringing in a group of young kids to talk about looking for books. I got all kinds of crazy looks as I mimed and gestured through a number song with my online class.

After that class, Gymnast had another class on the same platform, so the first 10 minutes was done in the car as we were on our way home.

And thankfully, there were no other weird incidents to make my day any crazier.

Except, maybe the peacock we found sitting in a neighbor's tree.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm helping dd20 do her taxes.  There is not enough chocolate in the universe to get me through this with my sanity intact.

TurboTax made some changes to their program from previous years and it is so much less user friendly.  I will seriously consider using something else next year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Possibly she has been teaching it. Thus the “toasted” feeling. 

Yes - we do maps every week with history.  And we start looking for places based on a large landmark, like the U.S. or the Mediterranean Sea or England.  Maybe the paper map to fill out just looks too different from the one we use normally.  She did eventually find several places, I suspect with lots of hints from older sister.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm helping dd20 do her taxes.  There is not enough chocolate in the universe to get me through this with my sanity intact.

TurboTax made some changes to their program from previous years and it is so much less user friendly.  I will seriously consider using something else next year.

Oh no!  You’re scaring me!  😳😩😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forty years ago today, the partial meltdown at Three Mile Island occurred.

I was just a little girl, but I remember evacuating.  We packed up the station wagon and went to my aunt and uncle's house out of state.

I remember asking my dad a question about something that I wanted to do when we got back.  I remember that he said, "If we come back..."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I did our taxes. Huge increase in what we owe. I am wondering if TurboTax told me wrong when it said not to itemize. I might do it again. 

Many people have said they owe more this year because of tax changes even if their income, etc., stayed the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2