Menu

Ignore this thread!

39 minutes ago, Slache said:

What is AIJ?

Adventures in Japanese. Late middle-high school level textbook. Pricey.

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

For Japanese we are doing a modified version of Nihongoshark. They have you learn the Kana and about 3,000 Kanji before you tackle a grammar. I love the idea of the foundation in the writing system and didn't want to do a grammar now so it's perfect.

Ideally, you do this at an insane pace finishing in less than a year so you don't lose interest. We aren't doing that. So on the side we have songs, phrases, TV shows, games and other such things to keep it fun.

I feel like this way we are making true, notable progress, but in a way that's completely manageable for a small person.

Huh, I had never heard of Nihongoshark! There are so many more resources out there than there used to be. 3,000 kanji is more than I know how to read/write! That's a lot!

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Please continue listing Japanese programs.

I've spoken to many online and it's one per week and sometimes one per class. :ohmy:

One other program I know of is Obento, but I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it. There's another college-level textbook called Yookoso, too. And Minna no Nihongo. (These are all beginner-level.)

1 Genki chapter per week? Or per CLASS?! That's.... nuts. Like, I've taught Genki many times to many people, high school level and above, and I just can't picture that. Not unless these are students who are literally studying no other subjects, have no job, and spending hours and hours per day on homework and independent practice. The Introduction to Genki itself says that on average, six class hours are needed to cover the content of each Conversation/Grammar chapter and 3 hours for each writing chapter.

Intensive intermediate Japanese in my freshman year of college (6 hours of classtime per week) spent at least 2 weeks on each chapter of Genki 2, and a bunch of students freaked out at the teacher and accused her of expecting too much. Like, they actually went to the Dean and demanded she be fired. (She wasn't.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egao_gakari said:

Susan, in my perfect world we'd do it that way as well. But DH isn't an early enough riser to implement it on Dad School days, and that makes me into Mean Mom. He would have preferred getting them up at 8 and starting school at 9, and we compromised with 7:45/ 8:30. They don't usually need a whole hour.

We would probably start a little later, but dh leaves for work at 7:30/45ish.  The kids are a bit groggy first thing, but they get so much free time in the mornings and afternoons when they finish that they really don't complain.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I must be an evil parent.  We all eat breakfast together at 7am.  Every morning except Saturday.  School (and church) start at 8.  

DH gets up at 5:15 and leaves for work a little after 6:00. I’ve been getting upmaround 7:30. I never knew I needed 9 hours of sleep a night, but I guess I do. And I need to have some quiet time to do devotions and i’ve Been trying to do this exercise video and then showering and stuff.... I just let the kids sleep so I can have some peace. When they are awake they don’t Leave me alone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, egao_gakari said:

Adventures in Japanese. Late middle-high school level textbook. Pricey.

Huh, I had never heard of Nihongoshark! There are so many more resources out there than there used to be. 3,000 kanji is more than I know how to read/write! That's a lot!

One other program I know of is Obento, but I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it. There's another college-level textbook called Yookoso, too. And Minna no Nihongo. (These are all beginner-level.)

1 Genki chapter per week? Or per CLASS?! That's.... nuts. Like, I've taught Genki many times to many people, high school level and above, and I just can't picture that. Not unless these are students who are literally studying no other subjects, have no job, and spending hours and hours per day on homework and independent practice. The Introduction to Genki itself says that on average, six class hours are needed to cover the content of each Conversation/Grammar chapter and 3 hours for each writing chapter.

Intensive intermediate Japanese in my freshman year of college (6 hours of classtime per week) spent at least 2 weeks on each chapter of Genki 2, and a bunch of students freaked out at the teacher and accused her of expecting too much. Like, they actually went to the Dean and demanded she be fired. (She wasn't.)

Yeah, the people on the thread were talking about how insane it was and how they didn't learn anything, but they needed to pass the class in order to move on. I remember some talking about doing it themselves the summer before the class so the class was review.

• Like 2

Someone was walking around the neighborhood passing out menus for the "New" Chinese restaurant that we have been getting takeout from since we moved here 10 years ago.  I think they have new management or something.  I don't like it as much now, but dh doesn't have major reactions to their food, so we will probably stick with them.  The menu includes a coupon that expired in 2017.  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just because people "teach" a language in a certain way doesn't mean that it is an effective way to teach/learn a language.  (I have very strong feelings on the subject.)

You and me both! One of my colleagues (a French teacher) has written a book called "Pathways to Fluency: Changing the way we think about language in the United States" you may be interested in. I'm still working my way through the book now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yeah, the people on the thread were talking about how insane it was and how they didn't learn anything, but they needed to pass the class in order to move on. I remember some talking about doing it themselves the summer before the class so the class was review.

That makes more sense if it was review. Still though. Just reading the textbook isn't enough with a language course! (Is it enough for any subject??)

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just because people "teach" a language in a certain way doesn't mean that it is an effective way to teach/learn a language.  (I have very strong feelings on the subject.)

I do too. The most effective foreign language teachers I've ever had were the ones who taught 2 things: (1) independent study skills. (2) English grammar. I try to remember that in my teaching as well, although sometimes I know I marry myself to the textbook!

42 minutes ago, Renai said:

You and me both! One of my colleagues (a French teacher) has written a book called "Pathways to Fluency: Changing the way we think about language in the United States" you may be interested in. I'm still working my way through the book now. 

Definitely curious to read that!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

That makes more sense if it was review. Still though. Just reading the textbook isn't enough with a language course! (Is it enough for any subject??)

I do too. The most effective foreign language teachers I've ever had were the ones who taught 2 things: (1) independent study skills. (2) English grammar. I try to remember that in my teaching as well, although sometimes I know I marry myself to the textbook!

Definitely curious to read that!

The most effective foreign language teachers, in my opinion use all the senses to teach language.  (This is why I like the Total Physical Response approach for young learners).  For something like Japanese, I don't really correlate things to English grammar, but I do teach the grammar forms because I don't know how you would be able to use Japanese verbs otherwise.  I taught a very successful class of adults where I used visual and auditory cues.  They really liked it and they learned so well.  Unfortunately I have run out of time to prep that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I want to know all the languages.

I really have trouble learning to speak other languages. I can learn them academically and translate on papers, but actually communicating with someone? Nope!!!!  That's why I do so well in Latin.

• Like 2

I am not a morning person.  Or an afternoon person.  My peak hours are usually from about 7pm to 1am.  Maybe I live in the wrong time zone.

I am not very good at speaking any foreign languages.  I know little bits of Spanish, French, and American Sign Language.

I have no desire (currently) to add more languages, though I would really like to build on the ones I've started.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am not a morning person.  Or an afternoon person.  My peak hours are usually from about 7pm to 1am.  Maybe I live in the wrong time zone.

I am not very good at speaking any foreign languages.  I know little bits of Spanish, French, and American Sign Language.

I have no desire (currently) to add more languages, though I would really like to build on the ones I've started.

I've let my Latin slide for a bit. I'd like to pick it up again, but I have waaaay too much going on right now. Perhaps this summer.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Weirdly, anytime I've ever tried to learn a language that wasn't Japanese or Latin, I've utterly failed. No other language seems sensible to me!

Yeah, you should have heard us try to learn Portuguese when I was teaching in Sao Paulo, Brasil.  A group of us teachers would go down to the little corner market and take one of our young students with us and we'd all stand in the corner of the market, huddled around little C (she lived in our building, her mom was also a teacher) and she'd teach us a phrase and we'd repeat it and repeat it and repeat it until we had it down and then go up to the proprietor and say the phrase, asking for bread or a juice drink or something.  It was hilarious.  I had no idea what I was saying. 

Basically, my Portuguese consisted of "Please", "Thank you", "Hello", "where is the bathroom?" and directions to my school in case I ever got lost in the city - they told us to just hail a cab, say, "Perto de Osec" (which mean "near Osec", which was a teaching hospital, but they told us that the hospital was so bad that even if you were dying you should never go there, but rather fight traffic and go to the hospital across town)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I really have trouble learning to speak other languages. I can learn them academically and translate on papers, but actually communicating with someone? Nope!!!!  That's why I do so well in Latin.

Me too. 

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I think the only way I will ever actually learn a language is to go live somewhere. I think I’d have a pretty good shot at German. 

56 minutes ago, Junie said:

Jean knows a lot of random ladies.

And they bring her brownies and she tutors their kids!  I think I’m way too introverted for that. 

• Like 3

Have you ever eaten at Oscar’s Tacos?

Taco Tuesday Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The most effective foreign language teachers, in my opinion use all the senses to teach language.  (This is why I like the Total Physical Response approach for young learners). 

Then you'll really like Elizabeth Porter (the author of Pathways to Fluency). She's even done a TED talk called Learning Language through the Five Senses. It's her thing. She has an online world languages school (she started out as just teaching French, but now started the school) with various languages, teaching in this manner. She asked me to teach Spanish for her, but I'm already on two platforms...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am the opposite. I assume different parts of the brain.

2 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

Weirdly, anytime I've ever tried to learn a language that wasn't Japanese or Latin, I've utterly failed. No other language seems sensible to me!

Maybe because you're not trying to fit it into a box?

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you ever eaten at Oscar’s Tacos?

Taco Tuesday Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

This is big.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My mom (94) just told me that she's excited for Dd to finish high school next year so that I can do my own thing. I think that I will get back into teaching Japanese. 

I don't know what I want to do. I think move to the beach, teach the illiterate to read and hold babies. Those are my 3 passions.

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We have babies!

20190326_201834.jpg

20190326_201812.jpg

SQUEAK!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I did half my workout this morning before work.  I like watching Reba if I have to be on the treadmill.

I am watching Endevour when I'm on the glider thing.

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I don't even know why I'm attempting to post pad.  I don't even know how many are on each page!

50!  But it's too bothersome to count.

• Like 2