Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Tuesday Morning!  Coffee!  Challenge of the day:  help youngest get caught up with a book report for her co-op English class (after missing two weeks of class!)  Willy-nilly!  Also need to pay bills.  More willy-nilly!

Anyone have tips on the conflict in Indian in the Cupboard?  (I haven't read it.)  MORE WILLY-NILLY!  We should also include a discussion on the theme of friendship.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Is it bad if one side of your throat hurts more than the other side?  

11 hours ago, Slache said:

Mine does. So no?

It hit me after I went to bed that if my symptoms match yours I was probably dying.  <svengo>  But thankfully, my throat is not as bad this morning!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I didn't sleep well and I woke up with a headache.  I wish my body would stop trying to be a human barometer.

I've got earworms from "My Fair Lady" bouncing around in my head.  I started watching it last night with dd16 and dd14.  We only got halfway through -- it's a long movie!

We're having leftovers for either lunch or dinner.  The fridge is full.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Morning.  Slept really well again last night after some Advil for the still-sore muscles from Sundays trip to the museum.  Less sore today so probably won't sleep like a rock anymore.

Three classes, teen hangout and tech tuesday today.   Long day but I'm doing mostly simple activities - seed bombs in two classes, lenses in one class, and bubbles in TT.   Since Spring seems to be arriving, I'll be doing flower dissections in the next couple weeks.  I use the crocuses that pop up in random places in our yard.  Every year we move them to the flower beds (or I take them to dissect) and the next year they are back again.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

It hit me after I went to bed that if my symptoms match yours I was probably dying.  <svengo>  But thankfully, my throat is not as bad this morning!  

Something is wrong with my immune system. No one else got it like me. Most illnesses hit us all the same, but occasionally one just targets me. Everyone gets it for 3 days, I get it for 2 weeks, they have scratchy throats, I can't talk for 4 days. So you're probably not dying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Matcha in place of coffee!

The kids were SO GOOD this morning, guys. It's a Dad School day, but DH slept badly last night so I didn't want to rush him awake. Both kids were up, dressed and breakfasted by about 8:40, and DS went and pulled out his Bible and his Proverbs journal (Hubby's preferred Bible study method) and got started on it without being reminded! DD needed reminding about Bible, but she also asked me to quiz her on the Lewis and Clark documentary that we watched yesterday! (She did pretty well, except she can't remember Native American tribe names for the life of her, and she keeps calling the Northwest Passage the Northwest Expedition.)

Today's task that I super don't feel like doing: my troublesome student has been struggling with the Genki program and wants to change to a different curriculum. Her family offered to pay for my copies of the textbook and workbook, since it's an unexpected expense. But gosh, the price-gouging on Adventures in Japanese is insane! I do think it will suit her better, and specifically the 4th edition because it doesn't require her to flip from grammar explanations to a totally different page for practices (this is one of the primary things she hates about Genki). But I'm honestly embarrassed to ask this family to spend an additional $130 for my copies. To us, that's a lot of money (even though I gather it isn't much to them), and I don't want to seem like I'm... I dunno, dishonestly demanding that they buy this really expensive thing when there's something else that would work just as well. But I've tried "good enough"-looking curricula with this student before, and she's just not somebody who does well with "good enough." She needs a perfect fit, or she melts down and blames me for suggesting something that's too hard. Where's the head_brickwall.emoji when you need it? So today's office task is phrasing the email letting them know how much it will cost. (They are not tech-savvy and prefer me to do the purchasing and they'll reimburse.)

• Like 5

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

Vacation is going waaaaaay too quickly!

I don’t know what i’m Going to do today. I know I need to spend some time doing school stuff so i’m Not killing myself the last couple months of school.

DD1 is working in the church nursery for the mom’s group this morning. She really likes doing that.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

Vacation is going waaaaaay too quickly!

I don’t know what i’m Going to do today. I know I need to spend some time doing school stuff so i’m Not killing myself the last couple months of school.

DD1 is working in the church nursery for the mom’s group this morning. She really likes doing that.

It's only Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Slept really well again last night after some Advil for the still-sore muscles from Sundays trip to the museum.  Less sore today so probably won't sleep like a rock anymore.

Three classes, teen hangout and tech tuesday today.   Long day but I'm doing mostly simple activities - seed bombs in two classes, lenses in one class, and bubbles in TT.   Since Spring seems to be arriving, I'll be doing flower dissections in the next couple weeks.  I use the crocuses that pop up in random places in our yard.  Every year we move them to the flower beds (or I take them to dissect) and the next year they are back again.  

Who do you teach?

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Lazy child!

I know, right?! It's getting later and later! Dh says to just wake her up, but if she's up late at night...

Oh my goodness! I just went to check on her because I told her to go get dressed. She is BACK IN THE BED UNDER THE COVERS!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, the brat is up and brought clothes to the living room to get dressed. Sheesh. It's 10am already!

I told her that if she wants to do climbing, she's going to have to get up earlier (and go to bed earlier). I would like to do climbing in the morning before school, because that would be great for her. But, waking up between 9-10 isn't going to cut it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Renai said:

I know, right?! It's getting later and later! Dh says to just wake her up, but if she's up late at night...

Oh my goodness! I just went to check on her because I told her to go get dressed. She is BACK IN THE BED UNDER THE COVERS!!!!!!

No, I would let her sleep. I'm not there every day though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ok, the brat is up and brought clothes to the living room to get dressed. Sheesh. It's 10am already!

I told her that if she wants to do climbing, she's going to have to get up earlier (and go to bed earlier). I would like to do climbing in the morning before school, because that would be great for her. But, waking up between 9-10 isn't going to cut it.

Yes, we love climbing but have had a heck of a time figuring out when to fit it in the schedule! It's a tiring activity and in our house, if school hasn't started by 9am the kids definitely get the impression that today is a rest day.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Renai said:

Slow start today. I've taught ESL since 5:30, eaten breakfast, and watched an episode of Rise of the Phoenixes with subtitles. Gymnast is just now getting up...

How old is she, again??? My 15 year old and 13 year old stay up late and sleep late. I read some place in some child development thing they this is typical. I figure, as long as we have no place to go, it doesn’t infringe in my schedule and they get their schoolwork done, I don’t mind. I don’t let them sleep last 10:00am, though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have found that there are simpler ways to explain the grammar in Genki than what they have written out. 

Yes, Genki is great for certain types of learners, but overwhelming for most middle/high school level students. AIJ is way less wordy. I honestly prefer the Japanese for Young People approach of no grammar explanations in the textbook at all, but this student and I have already gone through all the volumes of Japanese for Young People, and the only options for continuing are AIJ 2-3 and Genki 2. Genki 2 was not a good fit.

• Like 1

Just now, egao_gakari said:

Yes, Genki is great for certain types of learners, but overwhelming for most middle/high school level students. AIJ is way less wordy. I honestly prefer the Japanese for Young People approach of no grammar explanations in the textbook at all, but this student and I have already gone through all the volumes of Japanese for Young People, and the only options for continuing are AIJ 2-3 and Genki 2. Genki 2 was not a good fit.

We take Genki at a slower pace than I am sure that it is done in college - two weeks per chapter and sometimes more for certain chapters.  Really understanding is so much more important to me than getting through a certain amount of material!  And even then dd really could use more of an immersion atmosphere with practice with kids at her level and/or her age.  I do speak to her some outside of class but it is hard for me to remember what vocabulary and forms she knows so that I don't confuse her too much.  She can now eavesdrop on me with my Japanese friends.  😉 

• Like 3

Jean, I'll tell you what I tell all families - just start with one routine and speak Japanese to EP. That way, she's learning in context, integrating what she knows from the text (even if hearing some things she hasn't learned yet), and you don't have to try to remember when to speak Japanese to her. It will be the same routine every day, start simple (questions, responses, etc.), then increasingly complex, in that same routine. Remember that thing I text you about last night? This the reason for it. To help with this part of language learning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Who do you teach?

Mostly homeschoolers.  I have a science center where I hold classes and workshops.  I do occasionally have school kids for Saturday workshops or tutoring, and I'm really hoping I get some for summer camps (or it will be tough paying the rent those months) but it's 99% homeschoolers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Jean, I'll tell you what I tell all families - just start with one routine and speak Japanese to EP. That way, she's learning in context, integrating what she knows from the text (even if hearing some things she hasn't learned yet), and you don't have to try to remember when to speak Japanese to her. It will be the same routine every day, start simple (questions, responses, etc.), then increasingly complex, in that same routine. Remember that thing I text you about last night? This the reason for it. To help with this part of language learning.

Yeah, that has been my intent many times.  I guess that I need to stop making excuses and do it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

How old is she, again??? My 15 year old and 13 year old stay up late and sleep late. I read some place in some child development thing they this is typical. I figure, as long as we have no place to go, it doesn’t infringe in my schedule and they get their schoolwork done, I don’t mind. I don’t let them sleep last 10:00am, though.

She just turned 8 in January. It is hard to let her sleep because most of my online classes are in the afternoon (starting at 1:30). We really need to get her stuff done before then. Her stuff doesn't really take long, but with things dragged out... Adding in climbing, which we haven't started yet due to the getting up issue, makes it even more important to push back the sleep schedule.

I've considered switching most of my classes to the morning, but most enrollments are in the afternoon, early evening (5pm MST) as I catch both homeschoolers and b & m students after school.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Mostly homeschoolers.  I have a science center where I hold classes and workshops.  I do occasionally have school kids for Saturday workshops or tutoring, and I'm really hoping I get some for summer camps (or it will be tough paying the rent those months) but it's 99% homeschoolers.

Wish you were here! Sounds like something my daughter would enjoy.

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I must be an evil parent.  We all eat breakfast together at 7am.  Every morning except Saturday.  School (and church) start at 8.  

I'm either working and/or wishing I was still sleep at that hour.

Hey, it's a beddy bye BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
B.O.O.Y.A.
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is working on Kumon Reading "because it's fun." She was always the weird child that liked workbooks. This goes against everything I believe. Well, not everything. I believe in following a child's lead. She leads towards workbooks...😑

• Like 4

Susan, in my perfect world we'd do it that way as well. But DH isn't an early enough riser to implement it on Dad School days, and that makes me into Mean Mom. He would have preferred getting them up at 8 and starting school at 9, and we compromised with 7:45/ 8:30. They don't usually need a whole hour.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, egao_gakari said:

Please continue listing Japanese programs.

59 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We take Genki at a slower pace than I am sure that it is done in college - two weeks per chapter and sometimes more for certain chapters.  Really understanding is so much more important to me than getting through a certain amount of material!  And even then dd really could use more of an immersion atmosphere with practice with kids at her level and/or her age.  I do speak to her some outside of class but it is hard for me to remember what vocabulary and forms she knows so that I don't confuse her too much.  She can now eavesdrop on me with my Japanese friends.  😉 

I've spoken to many online and it's one per week and sometimes one per class. :ohmy:

53 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ya'll are making me want to go back to doing Japanese, but I'm shin-deep in Chinese right now...sigh...

Come to the dark side. We have poky.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Please continue listing Japanese programs.

I've spoken to many online and it's one per week and sometimes one per class. :ohmy:

Come to the dark side. We have poky.

I used to study Japanese (informally with my Japanese friends who pushed me). I could read both hiragana and katakana, was learning kanji, and could carry a simple conversation. Then I moved to New Mexico, Spanish started taking over, and even though I introduced Japanese and German to my oldest, it wasn't something I could keep up at the time with no support.

I just recently had to take Pokemon off my phone so I could put on Skritter and practice character writing. 😞 I think of Pokemon every time we walk in the river and we pass the three PokeStops...

• Like 3

For Japanese we are doing a modified version of Nihongoshark. They have you learn the Kana and about 3,000 Kanji before you tackle a grammar. I love the idea of the foundation in the writing system and didn't want to do a grammar now so it's perfect.

Ideally, you do this at an insane pace finishing in less than a year so you don't lose interest. We aren't doing that. So on the side we have songs, phrases, TV shows, games and other such things to keep it fun.

I feel like this way we are making true, notable progress, but in a way that's completely manageable for a small person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yeah, that has been my intent many times.  I guess that I need to stop making excuses and do it. 

Quoting myself so that I can come back and give my excuses. When I speak English I think in English. When I speak Japanese I think in Japanese. It is very hard for me to switch quickly from one to another. (When I was speaking Japanese for 8 hours a day I couldn’t speak English immediately afterwards. I had to transition. ). 

I have not had good opportunities to speak Japanese for long periods of time in 30 years. So it takes  me 5 to 10 minutes to transition into Japanese mode. If I had the money for it I would hire someone to speak Japanese with on a high level a couple of times a week. 

Dd and I just finished today’s Genki. She asked a couple of questions and it took me a minute to run through possible translations in my head before I realized that she had mixed up two similar root verbs with very different meanings.  When it comes to the “whys” I often have to see what the book says because while I know instinctively what is correct, I have never formally studied Japanese.  

• Like 2

My Tech Tuesday for tonight was cancelled (fairly last minute!) because they weren't expecting many of the kids.  I think a bunch are on Spring Break.  I'm not remotely upset.  They wanted to reschedule for next Tuesday but I have 4-H and I promised myself I wouldn't try to do it all in one day this year, so I told them I couldn't do it.

• Like 2