Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

More moving!!😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩 How could we have collected so much stuff??? 

I also have a funeral to attend this afternoon. A friend’s mother died. She was elderly, and had lived a full life and had cancer at the end, so it was a blessing.

• Like 6

Morning. Got a rejection today on a short story. Other than that, I woke up around four sick at my stomach, got back to sleep around six, dreamed my boy got bitten by a water snake when he was fishing and I couldn't find the insurance card to take him to the hospital, and generally the morning hasn't been good, just morning. But I have a hot cup of tea. Things are probably looking up.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

(((Critter)))

Good morning! Stuff! Things! Go!

Also, I am exhausted.

54 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  !!  It is 32 degrees, wind chill 16, and POURING rain!  I am taking neighbor child to the orthodontist in 10 minutes, then drop her back at home and go to work.

You're not selling me on Texas, babe.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  !!  It is 32 degrees, wind chill 16, and POURING rain!  I am taking neighbor child to the orthodontist in 10 minutes, then drop her back at home and go to work.  

And I got the rainy Hmph day BOOYA!!

Celsius or Fahrenheit?  Cause shouldn't it be snow/ice if that''s Fahrenheit?  (I always feel like I need to confirm).

I had a dream about trying to get home last night.  I've had them before, usually I'm in NYC with no money and no phone.   It's not really a scary dream because I always think I can just go to the police station and get help.  This one was a little different, I was more local but otherwise the same idea.

In my dreams, nobody is ever willing to let you borrow a phone, except the police.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.  Either wanting to find stability (although that's more a lost dream) or worry about moving on from something (more likely, but can't think of what that could be).  Maybe it was just prompted by all the New Year/New Start brouhaha and I like the way things are (home).

I used to go to a bar called the Brewhaha.  

• Like 6

Well, it’s after 8:00. Kids are still sleeping. It is vacation and it had been a stressful and traumatic week and a half. I’m trying to cut them a lot of slack.  I really need to go to the old house, and it’s only a couple blocks away, so I guess I could. They’re old enough to stay b6 themselves. I don’t want to be gone, though, when they wake up. There’s stuff I can do around here.

• Like 7

Good morning. I have a lot of camp business to take care of. It’s stuff that I am supposed to delegate but I am discovering that most people aren’t reliable. Though I should have known this because the former director told me that I was the only person he knew who would actually follow through on things.   That’s not totally true though- his mom is wonderful but she’s busy with the financial stuff that I delegate and for the moment I am stuck with everything else. Think of this as musing instead of griping- it’s early enough that I am not feeling stressed by it. 

• Like 5

We are still suffering with this cold here. Every time we get a little better, the congestion starts again. Cough medicines and decongestant for me this morning, decongestant for the boy, and living on cough drops isn't great quality of life today. But we are getting better. It's just one of those colds that lingers, and lingers, and lingers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I hate resolutions. I'm very rarely 100% about anything. I'm more concerned with trends and direction.  Life has a way of making 100% compliance to most resolutions impossible. I want to keep my word if I'm going to resolve to do something, so I set goals, not resolutions for the new year.

I am back from the library, the tire store, and the convenience oil change place. Lunch, then laundry and bills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doing a slow start back to our routine.  Dh went to work today so the kids started their usual chores, cleaned their rooms ( I still need to do some work in both since they were THAT BAD), and did some reading.  And we're going to the Y at 4pm to meet dh to work out.

I was working at the science center, had just finished redoing my supply closet (emptied completely, and put things back in order) and was about the empty my craft closet to do the same thing when oldest dd called me.  She ran out of gas in a very bad spot on a curvy, hilly road (on a bridge so no shoulder) and was on her way to work so couldn't wait for AAA (they take hours around here), could I bring her gas.  So I ran home, got the gas can from the generator which thankfully had gas in it so I didn't need to stop at a gas station.  By the time I got there, a police officer was behind her with lights flashing, so that was a relief.  We put a few gallons of gas in her car - when we first tried, the can was leaking like crazy so we reset the gasket for the nozzle and tried again.  Still dripped but much less.  I sent dd to my car to get a bottle of water so we could rinse off the gas that was all over the side of her car (yes, I"m paranoid, don't know if it was even necessary or helpful but anyway....).  So, she starts her car and heads off to the closest gas station before going to work.  I close of the gas can, stand up and realize she still has my car keys.  Yes, she locked the car again and yes my phone was in my car.   The cop headed down to the gas station to get my keys, I'm left hoping dd actually did stop because she now had enough gas to go after work and she was already late.   Thankfully the cop did come back with my keys.  He was actually very sweet (and young and cute!) about the whole thing, just mentioned dd was very flustered which was understandable.  

If she wasn't there, I was going to have him try sending me a text and see if that really causes all the windows to open (see previous post) which would have at least gotten me my phone.  Or have him drop me at the mall where dd works and I could get my keys and walk back to my car.  I was parked off the side of a side road across from where she got stuck, so in a safe spot.   But it would have been about a 2 mile walk, at least 1/2 of it uphill to get back to my car. 

So, that was my drama today.

• Like 6

Good afternoon!

(((Critter & Co. and all the ITT sick people)))

I ran off to GFS and Aldi and the bank and Kroger before saying good morning.  :sad:  I got the shopping done (GFS has gyros meat!), got most of everything put away, got the kids some lunch, and made 7 spaghetti pies which are really 9x13 casseroles because you can't easily feed 7 or 8 Very Hungry People on 6oz of spaghetti plus a bit of sauce and cheese.  We'll eat one of them tonight.  

Right now I'm sitting for a few mintues because tired and then I'll go do the stepper and burpees and then maybe get started on some soup.

Dd16 was so exhausted this morning from congested non-sleeping that she broke down crying.  Poor thing.  The medicines don't seem to be helping, but she felt better after holding a heating pad to her face.  She eventually fell asleep.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Aw carp.  Dd9 just fell off a hover board and onto her head.  No bleeding.  Glad I bought a package of frozen peas today!

56 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I forgot to make her wear a helmet.  It's the neighbor's hover board, but my kids can use their bike helmets.

Aww, poor thing!!

• Like 1

Ds got his flu shot.  He tried yesterday but the pharmacy said that he didn't have insurance.  (Eek!)  Called insurance today and they knew immediately what I was talking about - a glitch on their part which was being fixed.  I'm really glad that he got it done because he's the kid who always gets sick and gets everyone else sick.  I don't have to worry about him getting us sick so much because he's going back to school but he really can't afford to be out of college classes for a week or so with the flu. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Slache said:

John is asking for a Burmese Python. It's essentially the snake we had agreed to except that they get to be 26 feet long. I don't think Matt would go for it.

The needs of a snake that big are going to be different than a smaller one, right?  Ie.  much bigger tank, bigger food etc.  Plus the whole "don't get a pet that could eat your little brother" thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't get a Burmese Python and I have a pet snake, love snakes, and have helped handle one when I was a docent at a local zoo.  Notice I say "helped" handle it?  It took 4 to 5 people to safely handle her when her cage needed to be cleaned out.   Guess how the zoo got her?  She was someone's pet and they realized they could no longer take care of her properly without putting their family in jeopardy.  Burmese and Reticulated Pythons are the ones you hear about that kill their owners.  

They definitely are different to care for than smaller snakes.   They need a tank the size of a small room (or a room of their own, I know people who have done that), once full grown they eat rabbits or something bigger.  IF fed properly, they can be 10 feet long by the time they are a year old.

I'd go with a nice ball python, or a boa constrictor if they want something bigger than a ball.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The needs of a snake that big are going to be different than a smaller one, right?  Ie.  much bigger tank, bigger food etc.  Plus the whole "don't get a pet that could eat your little brother" thing. 

Definitely. Higher heating bill, higher food bill and much larger tanks. I looked into it when my dad said that's what he had and it was wonderful. He wanted us to get one but I never mentioned it to John so I thought it was funny he brought it up today.

They only hurt humans under extreme circumstances. Like the owners couldn't afford to feed it for 8 months and it's starving.

The sad thing is that there are a bunch of free ones on Craigslist. People have no respect for when you buy a 26 foot snake it's going to wind up being a 26 foot snake. That's how it works. Don't buy it if you don't intend to keep it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I wouldn't get a Burmese Python and I have a pet snake, love snakes, and have helped handle one when I was a docent at a local zoo.  Notice I say "helped" handle it?  It took 4 to 5 people to safely handle her when her cage needed to be cleaned out.   Guess how the zoo got her?  She was someone's pet and they realized they could no longer take care of her properly without putting their family in jeopardy.  Burmese and Reticulated Pythons are the ones you hear about that kill their owners.  

They definitely are different to care for than smaller snakes.   They need a tank the size of a small room (or a room of their own, I know people who have done that), once full grown they eat rabbits or something bigger.  IF fed properly, they can be 10 feet long by the time they are a year old.

I'd go with a nice ball python, or a boa constrictor if they want something bigger than a ball.

He's getting a ball python. I was watching a ball python video when one of Burmese pythons came on and he took interest. I think boa constrictors are higher maintenance? I decided against them for one reason or another.

• Like 2

Just now, Slache said:

He's getting a ball python. I was watching a ball python video when one of Burmese pythons came on and he took interest. I think boa constrictors are higher maintenance? I decided against them for one reason or another.

Yeah, boas are higher maintenance than balls, but better than a Burmese.

I see that you actually have someone with close experience with a Burmese.  I didn't mean to sound so lecture-y but it drives me nuts when - as you say - people buy a huge snake and then act surprised when it turns out to be huge.  We had so many snakes at the zoo (along with iguanas, turtles, a fennec fox, a skunk, an owl, an eagle, hedgehogs, a prairie dog, among other things) that were abandoned pets. 

• Like 2

Yay for insurance fixing their blip!

Krissi, you've been going at breakneck speed for a while now.  You might need a break.  Or at least coffee.  

The Kansas City Steak soup is done and cooling.  Oh, guess what else I found at GNF - bone broth!  Chicken or Beef!

I think we have everything in place for dd16's Japan application.  Everything is due Jan. 7th.  Our umbrella school submitted the proof of enrollment and her Spanish teacher submitted her teacher recommendation.  I think those were the only things we were waiting on.   I did not realize until recently that dd would actually be enrolled in a Japanese high school for about 4 of the 6 weeks.  That makes me a little nervous.

• Like 4

Just now, Where's Toto? said:

Yeah, boas are higher maintenance than balls, but better than a Burmese.

I see that you actually have someone with close experience with a Burmese.  I didn't mean to sound so lecture-y but it drives me nuts when - as you say - people buy a huge snake and then act surprised when it turns out to be huge.  We had so many snakes at the zoo (along with iguanas, turtles, a fennec fox, a skunk, an owl, an eagle, hedgehogs, a prairie dog, among other things) that were abandoned pets. 

No, no, no! I totally get it. It's heartbreaking. I lecture too. We looked at iguanas, probably first thing. And hedgehogs for about 5 seconds. We're avoiding rodents because of Matt's allergies. We decided on a leapard gecko, decided we don't want to keep the live food, dropped the legs and decided to big or go home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good afternoon!

(((Critter & Co. and all the ITT sick people)))

I ran off to GFS and Aldi and the bank and Kroger before saying good morning.  :sad:  I got the shopping done (GFS has gyros meat!), got most of everything put away, got the kids some lunch, and made 7 spaghetti pies which are really 9x13 casseroles because you can't easily feed 7 or 8 Very Hungry People on 6oz of spaghetti plus a bit of sauce and cheese.  We'll eat one of them tonight.  

Right now I'm sitting for a few mintues because tired and then I'll go do the stepper and burpees and then maybe get started on some soup.

Dd16 was so exhausted this morning from congested non-sleeping that she broke down crying.  Poor thing.  The medicines don't seem to be helping, but she felt better after holding a heating pad to her face.  She eventually fell asleep.

She needs to get checked out again if meds aren't helping. But yeah, the heat on my sinuses sure felt good.

• Like 1

I did not cook the dinner. But the boys did school, I wrote more of my possible additions to my manuscript, and talked with my agent this afternoon. Can I just say, I love my agent? She totally gets this book, she can tell me when I didn't add something that I need to add, and it doesn't even hurt. It feels like being told that I can have both donuts in the case and not have to pick the cheaper one. And extra frosting too. 

So I leveraged my writer's community that I've been building by being nice and enjoying so many nice stories by other authors, and I now have a nice group of readers who are going to go through my first few chapters and find places for me to add more icing! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I went to the funeral this afternoon. The mother of a gal in our Sunday School class died. I always enjoy listening to the eulogy. You find out a lot. And I like funerals that are for Christian people who lived a good, long life. They are always full of hope and love.

• Like 6

Dh is doing the FAFSA.  I don't understand why you can import your tax information from the IRS and then you have to manually fill out all the information anyway.  So stupid.

Notice to TurboTax: I would pay at least $35 to do the FAFSA through your system.  Please make a program for this in the near future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh is doing the FAFSA.  I don't understand why you can import your tax information from the IRS and then you have to manually fill out all the information anyway.  So stupid.

Notice to TurboTax: I would pay at least $35 to do the FAFSA through your system.  Please make a program for this in the near future.

I get to do that next year, don't I. Oh, so looking forward to it.😒

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I did not cook the dinner. But the boys did school, I wrote more of my possible additions to my manuscript, and talked with my agent this afternoon. Can I just say, I love my agent? She totally gets this book, she can tell me when I didn't add something that I need to add, and it doesn't even hurt. It feels like being told that I can have both donuts in the case and not have to pick the cheaper one. And extra frosting too. 

So I leveraged my writer's community that I've been building by being nice and enjoying so many nice stories by other authors, and I now have a nice group of readers who are going to go through my first few chapters and find places for me to add more icing! 

This makes me so happy! :smile:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh no!! It’s the FAFSA!!!! Run away!! Run away!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jo update: She is progressing as expected. Narcotics have been greatly reduced (this is an extremely painful surgery; the spinal cord doesn't like being moved around),  and mobility is increasing.  She's still sleeping on the couch, though,  so I'm still not sleeping in the chair.😞

• Like 9

I went to the AFSA. I hate that place. But now I am home and I am not going to put stuff away.

I wish I had a good book to read. I got some from the library, but the only good one was the Harry Bosch one that I finished in two days.  The other two, while they had very interesting titles, were not very interesting books.  I should order another Harry Bosch.

• Like 4