Menu

Ignore this thread!

47 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We did not like the movie.

I suspect I will not like it either.  We could still go with The Birds (if trick-or-treating doesn't last too long) or maybe It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!  It's perfect weather - cloudy and windy with leaves blowing all around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Anyone here seen The Nightmare Before Christmas?  That might be our Reformation Day movie instead of The Birds.

I went nuts at Aldi and bought a bunch of stuff not on my list - a craft bin, Halloween mini-playdoes, nacho cheese Bugles, a venus fly trap, and Maine root beer. They had super soft and fluffy yarns that I did not buy even though they were calling to me.

I would not be surprised if most people do not like this movie but both should be watched for cultural appreciation.

1 hour ago, Paige said:

The easy fix I had imagined for Baby's costume is not working! This is why I don't try to be crafty. So I bought him a bunny costume with floppy ears but I need the ears to stand up. How?? I don't want to go back to the store and most of my crafty supplies have been packed up in the basement and lost. 

I have pipe cleaners; didn't work. I tried a wire headband base that I shoved in the ears; didn't work. The ears are stiff but they fall down on the head all in one stiff piece. Maybe stuffing? I might be able to cannibalize something for its stuffing. Or maybe I need to make the wire go through the base of the hat and not just the ears? That would require more alterations to the original costume than I'd prefer. 

Chop sticks?

• Like 1

After reading the same subtraction problem 3 times in a row I called it quits. My kids have no brains today and Babiness is being a pill. We got most of our work done.

Hammockpo: We're getting this (or similar) and swapping the fabric out for this. It's low to the ground, steady, and the length of a regular bed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

If you're just getting light bulbs, you could go through the self-checkout. You can do it!

I ALWAYS go to self-checkout if they have them.  Love, love love the self-checkout.

Today I had a 12 package of toilet paper, a gallon of distilled water, a package of play-doh, two sweatshirts, three boxes of taquitos, two large bags of pizza bites, and a snickers bar on the 2 x 2 foot platform.  I am a pro.

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Anyone here seen The Nightmare Before Christmas?  That might be our Reformation Day movie instead of The Birds.

I went nuts at Aldi and bought a bunch of stuff not on my list - a craft bin, Halloween mini-playdoes, nacho cheese Bugles, a venus fly trap, and Maine root beer. They had super soft and fluffy yarns that I did not buy even though they were calling to me.

I liked The NIghtmare Before Christmas but the animation and style of the movie is very different.  Ds loved it when he was about 5 or 6 years old.  I could never figure out what about it he liked because it was very different than his usual favorites.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just say that he’s a lop. 

But he's not.  He's supposed to have perky ears. 

I kind of got them to stick up with pipe cleaners, a cut up padded envelope, and sewing around the pipe cleaners into the base but it was a little wonky. Somehow I had bunched up the hat itself so it didn't quite fit right, so I cut those threads and it's half lop now. It'll do. Baby was being crabby and wouldn't model for me so I'm not sure how it will sit on his head now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure the pharmacist injected my flu shot too high on my arm. ? Or I'm a very big baby because it hurts. DS's doesn't hurt at all but I can see where she gave me the shot and it's very high. And maybe she used too big of a needle because my arm is small and ow, ow, ow! ? I'm going to give it a week.

• Sad 3

Ok. I am back. Had a very nice morning in the Big City. Went to Lowe’s twice. First time I went to get some flowers and then as I was driving to the library I starting thinking I should do some reconnaissance on shower doors, since ours is a nasty mess. And I was wondering where I should go, and I realized that Lowe’s May be a good place to start. So, I went to the library and got a Harry Bosch novel, went to the park a while and graded papers and then went back to Lowe’s. It was a decent morning.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am tempted to go do some Christmas shopping.

The stores are empty on Halloween night.

Don’t tell anyone, since I absolutely don’t let myself think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but I was checking out the Artificial Christmas trees at Lowe’s. Ours is 10years old and is looking pretty sorry!!

• Like 2

Aaaaaaaannnddd, they're off!!

We gave our kids the speech about friendship coming first, candy second.  (There have been "issues" in the past of some kids getting tired and other kids being impatient with tired/slower kids and etc.)  Ds13's friend from boy scouts is going with them and they are hoping to pick up another friend or two along the way.

• Like 2

I love Tootsie Rolls too.  And just about anything chocolate.  Especially chocolate with nuts or crispies or caramel.  Ds will only eat plain Hershey bars and plain M&Ms so he gets all of those, dd gets everything else and dh and I "steal" from her bucket.

We went to my science center because it wasn't far from the TorT area and people had parked in our very clearly marked private parking spaces.  Dh ended up hanging around there and said something to the people when they came.  At first I was thinking that people were used to just ignoring the parking signs on Halloween, but dh reminded me that all the private parking signs (ours and the other businesses in the same small building, about 5 businesses) were new.  We had the parking spots put into our lease and bought our own signs, then the other tenants asked for some too.   

• Like 3

We’re back. It was fun. I had a tri-tip sandwich with tons of sautéed peppers and onions. And nachos. And when I got back to my car I was boxed in. The guy in front of me was about an inch from my bumper. The guy in back about a foot. I was ticked. We waited and finally the back guy came, so I was able to get out.

• Like 3

My dd14 has a friend whose birthday is today (on Halloween).  Her brother's birthday earlier this year was on Easter.

I thought it was a strange coincident that their birthdays were both on holidays that are polar opposites (but both involve lots of candy).

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

Good Thursday Morning!  Friday eve!  COFFEE!!

Well, I finished reading all the Harry Potter books.  Except there were a couple chapters in the last one that I skimmed and will probably go back and read more slowly at my leisure.  Youngest thinks I'm horrible for doing that.  I've already turned in my classical educator card, so what did I have to lose, lol?  

Yesterday I was up early to take my car for oil change and other maintenance.  Today, I'm up early to take ds to class.  Tomorrow, I am not getting up early if I can help it.  

Also, today, I need to catch up on stuff I put off while I was reading to excess.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Good Thursday Morning!  Friday eve!  COFFEE!!

Well, I finished reading all the Harry Potter books.  Except there were a couple chapters in the last one that I skimmed and will probably go back and read more slowly at my leisure.  Youngest thinks I'm horrible for doing that.  I've already turned in my classical educator card, so what did I have to lose, lol?  

Yesterday I was up early to take my car for oil change and other maintenance.  Today, I'm up early to take ds to class.  Tomorrow, I am not getting up early if I can help it.  

Also, today, I need to catch up on stuff I put off while I was reading to excess.  

I don't think I've ever had a classical educator card.  I'm in the middle of reading SOTW for the first time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

At least you've made it through, my kids always bail on me, I do read/listen to them on my own.

Oh, I'm not reading it to the kids.  I'm reading it myself.  ?

My littles still like Daddy to read them bedtime stories, but we have never had successful read-alouds here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning!

Junie, I would use that - and buy stock in it for sure!  

Today I bring dd15 to tutorial and then make the long trek to University Town with ds13 for cello lesson.  Dd12 found an unwrapped candy bar in her candy bag and dh said, "at least it wasn't a baggie of chicken salad."  (I may have told you the story of many many years ago when Halloween caught MIL by surprise so she passed out baggies of leftover chicken salad.)

I suppose since I have to leave in 15 minutes, I should pantz and stuff.

Coffee!

And a blessed All Saints Day to you!

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord...that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them! (Revelation 14)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. (Hebrews 12)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!!

Thanksgiving is three weeks away. (Insert Willy-nilly guy and svengo Guy!!,)

When DS1 was going to Catholic School they always had an All Saints Day parade. All the kids had to dress up like a Saint and they marched down to the Church and had a special Mass. It was great. I always made sure the other kids and I showed up for that.

Nothing much going on today. 

• Like 3

Morning. Yawn. It flooded last night it rained so much. Power went out around six, so I was glad of leftovers for dinner again. DH was out in the rain on the tractor putting up a little levy at either end of the bridge to keep it from overflowing. It sort of worked. At least we have a road this morning. And power. And dry feet. Could have been worse.

I have art this morning, but I'm just a little nervous about the bridge. The road lost a lot of gravel on one side.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Good morning.  I actually slept well despite the elephant finding his galumph again.  I did have a lot of anxiety dreams though:  back at college and I was a mess running around trying to find my first class.  I guess this reflects the fact that i feel like I'm dropping some of the plates I'm juggling.  I need to get to the FAFSA.  More stuff popped up for the camp.  And I have to prep for my talk at the multi-church ladies thing that is coming up in just 9 days.  Willy Nilly. 

• Like 3

A FAFSA on the FAFSA!  May the FAFSA suffer a continual FAFSA audit in eternity!  

I'm still waiting for TurboTax to offer FAFSA filing service.  I would pay for that.  Especially when having to file for more than one student.  That's the worst.  At least we only have one this year.

It is rainy today, but no storms.  I missed the exit off the highway and forgot to get a university parking pass.  I didn't get ticketed at least.

• Like 3

I have six loaves of bread, three pies, 4 dozen muffins and a lot of other stuff to bake in the next 24 hrs. 

My entire house (except for the bathrooms and the guest room) needs to be clean by tomorrow evening.

Hopefully my kitchen stools arrive today.

I have six loads of laundry and a lot of picking up to do today.

I'm tired already.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I wish we didn't have allergies. ?

I hadn't even thought of asking you! I'm not very good at this. We take our dog everywhere. She's incredibly well-mannered and we don't do very many things so the things that we do do she can go. There is an elderly man at our church that loves dogs and will dog sit for people so we were going to ask him but I don't know if he can take her to his apartment and we would be asking him to drive a lot otherwise. I think we will ask the neighbors if they can do it for $20. They have a dog so I don't think they would mind and it wouldn't be asking them to drive anywhere.

• Like 4

That's $20 for walking 20ft, taking the dog out twice a day, picking up after her and feeding her twice a day. Is that okay? I know it's on the lower end but they're right next door and they pick up dog poop everyday so I was hoping we could get away with less.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spudater said:

Happy All Saints!  We went to mass (there was a parade, Krissi!). Then we went to the cemetary and prayed for our dead and ate soul cakes (ok it was donuts from winco but this week was busy and donuts are yummier anyway).  Now I have declared it a half day.  I didn’t say it, I declared it!

Declaring is much more meaningful than saying.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have six loaves of bread, three pies, 4 dozen muffins and a lot of other stuff to bake in the next 24 hrs. 

My entire house (except for the bathrooms and the guest room) needs to be clean by tomorrow evening.

Hopefully my kitchen stools arrive today.

I have six loads of laundry and a lot of picking up to do today.

I'm tired already.

:svengo:

• Thanks 1

I took my car into the mechanic this morning  I needed the oil changed - no biggie.  But also - my windshield wipers were starting to only work on the very highest setting.  And in this climate during our rainy season that is not good.  So when I dropped it off, they tried the wipers and sure enough it wouldn't work.  So they took it apart to see why it wouldn't work and couldn't figure out why.  But suddenly it started working again - perfectly.   ????   No one knows why.  But I was only charged for the oil change so that bill was tons smaller than I expected!!  So here's hoping that whatever gremlins were making the windshield wipers not work have been banished forever.  Cuz that was our final diagnosis - gremlins. 

• Like 4

Cinnamon came through her spay surgery ok.  But now she won't have anything to do with Rusty.  She cries at him and bares her teeth to tell him to get away.  The rabbit rescue lady (who is doing convalescent care for us) and I disagree a bit on what this means.  I think that it is due to her pain from surgery.  She thinks that Cinnamon has unresolved issues with Rusty that require a rabbit apology from him.  Who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Cinnamon came through her spay surgery ok.  But now she won't have anything to do with Rusty.  She cries at him and bares her teeth to tell him to get away.  The rabbit rescue lady (who is doing convalescent care for us) and I disagree a bit on what this means.  I think that it is due to her pain from surgery.  She thinks that Cinnamon has unresolved issues with Rusty that require a rabbit apology from him.  Who knows. 

Maybe you should take part of the rabbit lady's body out and see if she's in a good mood afterwards. You can make it part of science class!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Cinnamon needs psychotherapy.  She can probably get a phone consult for a reasonable rate.  There is a lady in my neighborhood who provides therapy over the phone, but she only deals with cats.

• Haha 3