Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The baseball game is tied.?

We didn't get home from my friend's house until midnight.  We had a good time and could have talked for a long time yet, but the kids really needed to get to bed.

So at a few minutes after midnight, I read Krissi's post that the game was tied (she posted at about 11:20) and I thought that I'd check to see if the game was still on.

It was!  Hooray!  I thought I would get to watch a few minutes of baseball after all.

Oh.

The game *just* ended at 3:45 am East Coast time. 

Wow.

Time for bed.

• Like 5

Good morning!

I slept soooooo late this morning!  I've banished the goat and am waiting for pancakes to be done.  Have to leave for Gig #1 in an hour.  Dh is taking everyone else to Pumpkinfest.  We live close enough to walk downtown, which is probably preferable to trying to find parking along with 65,000 other people as long as the kids don't mind walking in their costumes.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Happy Saturday.   I"m getting ready to head over to my science center with dh to do some cleaning and repair jobs.  I did a black light workshop yesterday and didn't do any cleaning up except unplugging the lights since I was already tired after a long day.  Tonight we are going out to dinner for our anniversary, which was actually yesterday.

I teach 3 classes a day most day, dd is at the classroom with me 3-4 days a week, ds is there 2-3 days a week.  They've both actually made some good friends since we've started, ds has actually sat down and played board games without getting upset or walking away.  But, I keep seeing homeschool activities posted on Facebook that I think we'd like to do but can't because I'm teaching, but then I remind myself the kids probably wouldn't care about going because they prefer staying home or in familiar spaces, but maybe if I pushed them enough they would get more social, even though it hasn't happened in all this time.   They both have a selection of regular social activities they do that they are happy, comfortable and eager to go to, so I kind of think that should be enough?  Especially if they don't want more?

<<sigh>>  It seems like no matter what we do, second guessing is a part of it.

• Like 4

Today is Thrill Day, the day when thousands of zombies gather around the world to dance "Thriller" simultaneously. It's the 10th anniversary of Thrill Day here in Austin, when over 800 people showed up. We haven't had that many participants since then, but we still faithfully do our part to Thrill the World.

If you watch carefully, you might see me in this one:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Junie said:

We didn't get home from my friend's house until midnight.  We had a good time and could have talked for a long time yet, but the kids really needed to get to bed.

So at a few minutes after midnight, I read Krissi's post that the game was tied (she posted at about 11:20) and I thought that I'd check to see if the game was still on.

It was!  Hooray!  I thought I would get to watch a few minutes of baseball after all.

Oh.

The game *just* ended at 3:45 am East Coast time. 

Wow.

Time for bed.

Good Morning!!!!

Saturday!!

COFFEE!!!~D Lots of COFFEE!!!!,~D  I stayed up til 12:30am to finish that stupid baseball game. But you know, I sat there thinking,  “I should go to bed. I’m not feeling well, I will be tired tomorrow. But darn it!! I am so tired of doing everything ‘I should’ do. I spend my life doing everything ‘I should do’ and trying to meet everybody’s expectations and doing the right thing. I am going to stay up till however long I want to finish this game and nobody can stop me!!” I know, a pathetic little housewife rebellion, but it felt good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Today is Thrill Day, the day when thousands of zombies gather around the world to dance "Thriller" simultaneously. It's the 10th anniversary of Thrill Day here in Austin, when over 800 people showed up. We haven't had that many participants since then, but we still faithfully do our part to Thrill the World.

If you watch carefully, you might see me in this one:

I remember watching this video over and over last time you posted it, Ellie. I just loved it. How totally fun!!

• Like 3

I slept for 9 hours.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh, Lynette's baby is turning yellow!  I made a little clear plastic tent for her to live in with a string of incandescent Christmas lights to keep her warm for the winter.

This is such a bizarre statement out of context.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh, Lynette's baby is turning yellow!  I made a little clear plastic tent for her to live in with a string of incandescent Christmas lights to keep her warm for the winter.

I am so excited for you!! Leonard has some nice new growth since the weather has turned cooler!!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

Saturday!!

COFFEE!!!~D Lots of COFFEE!!!!,~D  I stayed up til 12:30am to finish that stupid baseball game. But you know, I sat there thinking,  “I should go to bed. I’m not feeling well, I will be tired tomorrow. But darn it!! I am so tired of doing everything ‘I should’ do. I spend my life doing everything ‘I should do’ and trying to meet everybody’s expectations and doing the right thing. I am going to stay up till however long I want to finish this game and nobody can stop me!!” I know, a pathetic little housewife rebellion, but it felt good.

I stayed up until 3:30 to finish that stupid baseball game.

At least your team won!

18 innings.  It was amazing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

You are truly amazing. I was thinking about the East Coast fans and what time it was!!

And I'm not even a "real" Red Sox fan.  I'm just a baseball nerd.

The Red Sox are my 3rd favorite team.  My O's never seem to make it to the playoffs, though, so I root for the Red Sox because we have a shared enemy -- the Yankees.

The Nationals are my favorite NL team.

I was thinking that if a game has to go that long, a) it's better to have it on the West Coast so that it's not 3 am for the players/fans in the stadium and b) it's better to have a late night game in a warmer climate.

I can't imagine what that game would have been like last night if it had been played at Fenway.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Junie said:

And I'm not even a "real" Red Sox fan.  I'm just a baseball nerd.

The Red Sox are my 3rd favorite team.  My O's never seem to make it to the playoffs, though, so I root for the Red Sox because we have a shared enemy -- the Yankees.

The Nationals are my favorite NL team.

I was thinking that if a game has to go that long, a) it's better to have it on the West Coast so that it's not 3 am for the players/fans in the stadium and b) it's better to have a late night game in a warmer climate.

I can't imagine what that game would have been like last night if it had been played at Fenway.

I grew up a Dodger fan. One of my most vivid childhood memories is every Saturday afternoon my dad would mow the lawn and listen to Vin Scully call the game on the radio and we would run through the sprinklers when he was done mowing. 

It did get chilly last night. They ended up passing out jackets to the umpires. They were talking the umpires. You don’t really think about them, but they had to be standing in place and paying attention for 7 1/2 hours straight. They don’t get breaks. I wonder what happens if they have to pee. They had to take some sort of break for that, I guess.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I’m taking Lego Lass to a birthday party today and I’m feeling stressed because I’m “invited” to stay and I don’t know how long the party will be and how long I’ll be expected to people. They’re really nice people and I don’t mind peopling for an hour, hour and a half, but there’s mentions of lunch, games, AND a movie, and I don’t think I can handle peopling for, what, four hours?

I hate birthday parties. Who do you invite? Who do you not invite? Our apartment is small and to me a birthday party is basically "Please buy my child a gift." I didn't want to do birthday parties and then Pastor pretty much invited himself and we've been doing birthday parties ever since. I think when we move we will stop! Someone (Prarie?) Throws a big unbirthday party every year. One big party in the summer where all the friends come. I'm going to do that! No gifts, no pressure, no theme. Just a BBQ, a slip n' slide and squirt guns.

• Like 3

I am back from Gig #1 and ate lunch and now have to dress in all black for Gig #2.   And have some coffee.  The people are home from Pumpkinfest and great fun was had by all.  Dd12 made it to the top of the rock climbing thing, even in her black "zebra" shoes.  Proud moment for her.  They brought some kettle corn home for me. :wub:

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Slache said:

I hate birthday parties. Who do you invite? Who do you not invite? Our apartment is small and to me a birthday party is basically "Please buy my child a gift." I didn't want to do birthday parties and then Pastor pretty much invited himself and we've been doing birthday parties ever since. I think when we move we will stop! Someone (Prarie?) Throws a big unbirthday party every year. One big party in the summer where all the friends come. I'm going to do that! No gifts, no pressure, no theme. Just a BBQ, a slip n' slide and squirt guns.

We’ve unbirthday-ed most years. The girls are petitioning for a birthday party. We are negotiating. My olders are old enough now that they don’t want to do the same thing as my youngers. We will see how this plays out...most likely we’ll do a one-off and go back to unbirthdaying.

• Like 2

My boys went and raked leaves for others this morning (volunteer work) and I paid Oldest in Oreos to do our own yard.

The girls helped me clean for a bit and then wandered off to play quietly.

I am about to hit the shower and then I will prep for a big church supper party with trunk or treating... Apparently a lot of neighborhood kids come, so it should be fun...except for the part where it’s 100% chance of rain. I am trying to arrange things so I can sit in the open hatch of my working van.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I give one friends party a year and the kids take turns who gets it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I give one friends party a year and the kids take turns who gets it. 

Then I'd have to keep track! I'm tired. I know some families do the big birthdays. Like 10, 16, 18 kind of thing.

My main problem with birthdays is that I'm afraid of inviting people that don't want to come and that my very sweet, kind, generous children turn into gremlins when there are gifts involved. I have no idea how to combat that.

• Like 2

We stopped doing birthday parties when we moved 20 minutes out of town.  No one wants to drive that far.

We had a Sweet 16 for dd16 and no one came.  ?  We're going to try again in a few weeks (I hope.)

I am willing to do one party for each of the girls when they turn 16 and then we'll be done.  So one party every other year for the next 10 years.

I was going to have a party for ds18's 18th birthday, but he didn't want a party.  I took him to a Nats game instead.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

Then I'd have to keep track! I'm tired. I know some families do the big birthdays. Like 10, 16, 18 kind of thing.

My main problem with birthdays is that I'm afraid of inviting people that don't want to come and that my very sweet, kind, generous children turn into gremlins when there are gifts involved. I have no idea how to combat that.

Oh no, you wouldn't have to keep track. They will keep track for you. And they will remind you months ahead of time who's turn it is for a birthday. Believe me. This is a fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The girls helped me clean for a bit and then wandered off to play quietly.

I love it when girls play quietly. I had my first lesson in "girls play quietly" when they were about 3 and 4 years old. I was used to panicking when the house got quiet and so, one day I knew the boys were outside, but the girls were inside and I didn't hear them.  So, of course, I panicked and ran into their room and they were both laying on their beds, under a blanket with all their dolls and stuffed animals.  I rushed in and they looked at me like I was crazy. I asked them what they were doing and they said, "We're playing Night-night, Mommy!" ?

• Like 6

Hi!  Kids are out with dh and I am using the Nor'easter today as an excuse for laziness.  ?

I did not stay up until 3:30.  I did, however, provide coffee and breakfast for my bff who is a HUGE Sox fan. She was appreciative. Meanwhile, dh fixed our broken washing machine with a new (used) $70 motor.  I'd be singing his praises for saving us $500 dollars, except that now I have no excuse for keeping everyone in pj's all week and not doing laundry.  

Also, I'm suffering from allergy-induced zombiedom.  Sorry I couldn't make it to Texas, Ellie.  It's raining.  I don't go out when it's raining.

And......

that is all.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I did all the things but it wasn't that many things. I am so tired. We have a thing tomorrow night and I don't want to. Next weekend is John's birthday, weekend after that we're having friends over, the weekend after that is Mount Saint Helens and the weekend after that is the aquarium. We haven't been to the aquarium and it's free this month with our zoo pass so we have to go. Matt has veterans day off and we're packing up the closet and he has Thanksgiving and the day after off and we're redoing the nursery. I have no breaks coming up! Maybe I'll be skinny by the end of it.

4 hours ago, Spudater said:

I’m taking Lego Lass to a birthday party today and I’m feeling stressed because I’m “invited” to stay and I don’t know how long the party will be and how long I’ll be expected to people. They’re really nice people and I don’t mind peopling for an hour, hour and a half, but there’s mentions of lunch, games, AND a movie, and I don’t think I can handle peopling for, what, four hours?

I would stay for the conversational parts and run errands during the movie.

• Like 4

Need advice.  My driver's license is up for renewal.  It is a six year license.  But in two years the license won't be able to be used for ID for air travel.

For twenty more bucks I can go ahead now and apply for my Enhanced driver's license which is eligible for use as ID in air travel.  But it is more of a pain to get. 

But I'm thinking that I should pay the extra $20 and spend the time now and get it done? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Need advice.  My driver's license is up for renewal.  It is a six year license.  But in two years the license won't be able to be used for ID for air travel.

For twenty more bucks I can go ahead now and apply for my Enhanced driver's license which is eligible for use as ID in air travel.  But it is more of a pain to get. 

But I'm thinking that I should pay the extra $20 and spend the time now and get it done? 

Yes. Just be done so you don't have to worry about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Since you're going to have to do it anyway, yes, I would just get it done.

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Is “commentate” a Word?? It seems strange. But, if it’s not, then what would you call what commentators do?

Yes, it is a word.

ETA:  Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1