Menu

Ignore this thread!

20 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Which program did you end up choosing?

Spectrum chemistry.  Overall we really like it.  The text is good.  And despite my post, we did figure out the math.  They do have a "bridge math" book that deals specifically with chemistry math and equations that I might end up ordering. 

• Like 1

2 pages? I'm so disappointed in you people.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, Slache said:

I can't believe we still have reception. I'm going to be so disappointed if we have it at the campground!

We did not.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Susan in TN said:

I want to go to Crater Lake!

It was absolutely wonderful. I would have loved to hike if I did not hate everything right now. You can camp there or stay at the lodge. We camped close by because there was no room.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

It was absolutely wonderful. I would have loved to hike if I did not hate everything right now. You can camp there or stay at the lodge. We camped close by because there was no room.

Yay!  You survived the camping!  Did you get to eat some food that first night? Sorry you are hating things.  Lack of sleep and decent food and long, crowded car trips tend to do that to a person.

• Like 2

So far...

Day 1:

I'm carsick. I miss McDonald's fries.

It's gorgeous. Everyone is having a blast.

Alex has given up compiling all of the pinecones into one spot. It was a monumentous feat for a two year old.

Eagle Scout husband refused to take advice on campfire. Everyone is freezing and our dinner is cold.

Alex only tried to climb in the fire once but Mary was completely traumatized. We had to pry her off of him.

It's raining. Yay.

“Absolutely no fish cleaning in the sink.” I wonder why that sign is there.

I got lost on the way back from the bathroom and found a bear but was not eaten.

I'm going to bed. I wonder when my dad will get here.

I want tea. I'm cold.

Matt went back to the car for more blankies so I don't die.

Mary wet the bed.

Day 2:

I got an hour and 7 minutes of sleep because I was so cold. My dad's asleep in the parking lot which is good because he has all of the cooking equipment.

The kids woke up whispering at their regular time. Alex asked John about his wow-bow (water bottle) and then they all cuddled because they were cold.

I went to the bathroom and have decided to switch to diapers until it's not cold.

I'm so sick I can barely talk. I've been shivering on and off for over 12 hours. Matt finally let me have the heater in here. He was afraid we'd burn the tent down but I guess if only I die it's ok. I'm ok with that. I'm going to try to take a nap.

It's been two hours and I'm still shivering. I hate camping. My dad didn't bring what he said he was so he's at the store and everyone is starving.

THE HEATER DIED!

Benefits of being eaten by a bear: 1) It's warmer 2) I look good in brown 3) No more camping.

I made my step goal by peeing twice.

Off to crater lake.

We didn't fall in. Water was stunning.

“I'm allergic to most of what you're packing so make sure you pack lots of Larabars and veggies.” “I planned on it.” Packs 3 Larabars and no veggies. I'm out of food and no one wants to drive to town. I get a hamburger patty for dinner. I hate camping.

Baby wipes are not a shower. I haz tea. Goodnight.

I went to pee at about 3 and Mary and Alex cried. Everyone wants to go home. I'm at about a 75% success rate for getting lost on the way to the bathroom.

Day 3:

Goals vs Reality

Breakfast at 7, not until 7:30

Leave at 8, not until 9

-Free puppies! But no.

-I can call 911 now, but no one else. Everyone! It's okay to get hurt!

-Hot. coffee.

Safari at 11, we will be 2.5 hours late

Picnic at 1

Home at 5

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yay!  You survived the camping!  Did you get to eat some food that first night? Sorry you are hating things.  Lack of sleep and decent food and long, crowded car trips tend to do that to a person.

All we could cook were hot dogs which made me sick, but yes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yay free puppies!

(((Slache)))  (I am always terrified of myself or family members getting lost in the middle of the night trying to use the bathroom.  One of the many reasons I can't sleep when camping. Also I will tie glow-sticks or a light-up balloon to the tent at night.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yay free puppies!

(((Slache)))  (I am always terrified of myself or family members getting lost in the middle of the night trying to use the bathroom.  One of the many reasons I can't sleep when camping. Also I will tie glow-sticks or a light-up balloon to the tent at night.)

No went alone. Except for me. I am apparently not to be trusted with such things.

43 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Slache, this is why I say no to everything. It's easier that way. And double win, I don't go into a rage and kill anyone, lol. 

Maybe if I'll start doing the first I'll stop doing the second.

• Like 1

We are having a day of minor (very minor) misadventures.

I took the littles to the pediatrician for well checkups and flu shots.  The doctor's office lost power overnight and lost nearly all of their vaccines.  We will have to go back another day.

Picked up online groceries.  There were a lot of substitutes today.

Got home and left the van door open all afternoon.

Someone left the lunchmeat on the table all afternoon.

I almost forgot to cancel an appointment for tomorrow.

And, it's time to make dinner.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You can do it, Junie!  ?

Dinner was throwing some popcorn chicken in the oven, opening a can of baked beans, and finding the store-bought potato salad in the back of the fridge.

I had sweet tea and a chocolate chip cookie.

No mishaps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So (ed-po-ish), I was thinking of having my 16yo do some career exploration for maybe half a credit elective.  I have a book that includes a personality test and looks at jobs through that lens.  I can have him do some research.  Maybe we'd find some folks to interview or shadow or whatever.  But I'd like to find another book for him to read along the way.... I'm just not sure what.  I don't want another book with assessment and guidance.  Maybe something with examples of other people's experiences.  I thought of Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow but I'm not sure that's quite what I want.  Do you guys have any ideas of something along that line?

It's a needle in a haystack BOOYAH!

ETA:  Here's a link to the book I'm talking about:    https://www.amazon.com/What-Love-Money-Will-Follow/dp/0440501601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537917930&sr=8-1&keywords=do+what+you+love+and+the+money+will+follow

I'm also open to a book that discusses vocation from a Christian perspective if it's not oversimplified or preachy or will make teens roll their eyes, iykwim.  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

We're not supposed to be home until 9.

This is the key to camping: the dad and children go camping; mom stays home. ALONE. It is magical. I quit camping 10 years (or more) ago. They go camping every year and seem to forget how miserable it is.

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Hi Dawn!  We are trying so hard to get my in-laws to move to your state. 

What part of my state? Southern? Are you trying to get rid of them? ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Every time we've passed cows this trip I've called them monkeys and now Alex calls cows monkeys and I'm going to homeschool mom jail.

1 hour ago, Openhearted said:

This is the key to camping: the dad and children go camping; mom stays home. ALONE. It is magical. I quit camping 10 years (or more) ago. They go camping every year and seem to forget how miserable it is.

I know. I really do. I've never been camping with my dad or the kids and everyone wanted me to go because they hate me so I went on the stupid awful camping trip. I won't do it again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Openhearted said:

I think it's on the NE side of Indianapolis.  We are trying to get them to move from their "should-be-condemned" house on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere in the Catskills of NY to live with BIL in IN.  It seems they know it needs to happen, but they are not working out the details of actually moving.  If they could do it before Thanksgiving, that would be ideal since they can't afford to pay their property taxes or replace the water pump or replace the heater in the house or pay the guy to plow their driveway.  Also, neither of them can drive for various reasons.  MIL can "technically" drive, but it is unsafe with her severe back pain and/or heavy pain medications. 

So there's the story.  There's more, but you get the idea.  ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Every time we've passed cows this trip I've called them monkeys and now Alex calls cows monkeys and I'm going to homeschool mom jail.

I know. I really do. I've never been camping with my dad or the kids and everyone wanted me to go because they hate me so I went on the stupid awful camping trip. I won't do it again.

Wait until John is about 14, and by then you will have proper camping gear and John will be at least a Boy Scout 1st class and they will set everything up properly and know how to start a good fire and have good food.  Your only job will be to poke at the fire with a long stick and hold out your mug for refills on tea and hot chocolate.  

(We have regular ITT mom county jail mixers.  We'll invite you next time.)

Uh.  I just looked at the Crater Lake temps - it got down into the low 30's at night.  No wonder you were freezing!  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Susan, can someone do something like what AMJ did with her dad?  Go and pack them up and move them?  

Yes -  a couple things have to happen first.  FIL has to resign as pastor of the church he has been at for maybe 7 years, and they need to get their grandson out of the house and into another living situation.  They had originally said they would move after grandson graduates from nursing school, but we're not sure when that's going to happen.  It could be another couple years.  We are really grateful that he is there and can check on them when he's not in school or working, but taking care of them is just too much responsibility to place on him.  We're pretty sure he has people he can stay with for the remainder of his schooling, at least.  Then we have to arrange for a piano mover.  Other than that, they can go - they took out a reverse mortgage on their house years ago, so they don't have to worry about selling it or anything.

Dh and his brother have already talked about going up move them out, they just have to work out the "when".  I don't expect it will be before spring, but you never know.  Miracles happen.

• Like 2

WE'RE HOME!

49 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Wait until John is about 14, and by then you will have proper camping gear and John will be at least a Boy Scout 1st class and they will set everything up properly and know how to start a good fire and have good food.  Your only job will be to poke at the fire with a long stick and hold out your mug for refills on tea and hot chocolate.  

(We have regular ITT mom county jail mixers.  We'll invite you next time.)

Uh.  I just looked at the Crater Lake temps - it got down into the low 30's at night.  No wonder you were freezing!  

My husband is an eagle scout don't lie to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

So (ed-po-ish), I was thinking of having my 16yo do some career exploration for maybe half a credit elective.  I have a book that includes a personality test and looks at jobs through that lens.  I can have him do some research.  Maybe we'd find some folks to interview or shadow or whatever.  But I'd like to find another book for him to read along the way.... I'm just not sure what.  I don't want another book with assessment and guidance.  Maybe something with examples of other people's experiences.  I thought of Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow but I'm not sure that's quite what I want.  Do you guys have any ideas of something along that line?

It's a needle in a haystack BOOYAH!

ETA:  Here's a link to the book I'm talking about:    https://www.amazon.com/What-Love-Money-Will-Follow/dp/0440501601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537917930&sr=8-1&keywords=do+what+you+love+and+the+money+will+follow

I'm also open to a book that discusses vocation from a Christian perspective if it's not oversimplified or preachy or will make teens roll their eyes, iykwim.  

Points for quoting self.

I decided to get What Color is Your Parachute for Teens instead.  I think Do What You Love is better for adults who have lived in the real world, so to speak, and need some encouragement to take a risk.  I'm not sure it's the message I want for teens who are already seeing things through rose colored glasses (perhaps) just due to their lack of experience, iykwim.  

• Like 5

Good morning! Coffee!

I slept horribly. My throat tickled and I coughed all night. Coffee to the rescue.

Susan, I hope your in-laws are able to move soon and safely. I'm glad the grandson is there to check on them and help somewhat, but you are right, they need to be closer to some more family.

It is raining again this morning. I think it is supposed to quit soon. The high is 70 today.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!

The kids have Enrichment Academy this morning!! Yay!! I get a couple hours to myself in the Big City.  Usually I sit in the park and do Latin and get lectured by the scrub jays and watch squirrels frolic, but today i’m Thinking about going to Hobby Lobby. Just to mix it up a little. I’ve never been there before. I feel like i’m Missing something as a 21st century homeschooling stay at home mom. 

Then we get home and kids have piano lessons and then Awana is tonight and i’m Hoping in between all that I can paint the crown mounding in my bedroom. I sanded it and taped it yesterday, so it should go fairly quickly.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Slache said:

If it doesn’t have a tail it’s not a monkey.

even if it had a monkey kind of shape.

If it doesn’t have a tail it’s not a monkey

If it doesn’t have a tail it’s not a monkey it’s an ape.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1