Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

This (bolded) is very comforting.  I am also a "mental" perfectionist who never accomplishes it in my physical surroundings.  

I remember something about that, but not the details.  What went wrong?  

They had the free donut thing on their Facebook page as a regular yearly event and then never notified people when they weren't doing it. A lot of people came looking for free donuts who didn't have money to buy them and took home very broken hearted kids.

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh and this lady wanted my "schedule for homeschooling a 1st grader".  Even packrat me did not keep my schedule from when my kids were in first grade.  I seem to remember alternating seatwork with hands on work.  Does anyone have a handy dandy schedule for homeschooling a first grader? 

I really liked reading people's blogs because you get a lot of different perspectives.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh and this lady wanted my "schedule for homeschooling a 1st grader".  Even packrat me did not keep my schedule from when my kids were in first grade.  I seem to remember alternating seatwork with hands on work.  Does anyone have a handy dandy schedule for homeschooling a first grader? 

7:00 Free Play

8:00 Breakfast & Morning Time (Bible, recitation, art appreciation, singing)

9:00 Seat work (Math, copywork MWF, spelling TTh, reading practice)

10:00 Walk if it's nice, dance or yoga if it's not

11:00 Baths, snacks and screens (Signing Time)

12:00 Free Play

1:00 Lunch with mom reading biographies and Apologia

1:30 Quiet time with audio books and drawing

3:00 Daddy came home and ended our school day

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I also have a list of chores for them to do after morning time. Brushing our teeth is on the chore list because if you don't leave the house you don't brush your teeth. So morning time, then chores, then seatwork.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think this schedule has less output than a new homeschooler would be comfortable with. We're much bigger on biographies, nature walks and conversation than we are on workbooks. Because of this I have very little to show for our efforts which I think could be very stressful to some.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

When people are up and moving: Breakfast/brush/clothes/morning chores/etc.

9ish AM: Work in whatever order is hardest to easiest for your DC if s/he gets tired easily, or easiest to hardest if s/he is slow to get started:

Seat work together: math (we did the front and back of a Miquon page), phonics/spelling/handwriting/copywork, thinking practice like Lollipop Logic or puzzles if interested

10ish AM: **Morning Snack**

Couch work together: memory work, religious education if applicable, history (I read SOTW aloud and we stuck timeline cards up), child reads aloud (I used Pathway Readers). Consider alternating more and less demanding items.

11 or 11:30ish AM: **Break for lunch when needed, or preferably just before needed**

One or more days a week after lunch, or even before lunch for speedy workers:

• Author of the Week (Gather and read library books from favorite children's authors like Mo Willems, Jan Brett, Arnold Lobel.)
  • science or nature activities
  • art
  • gentle intro to foreign language if desired
  • life skills/chores
  • PE/health education
  • field trip

Quiet time, 1 to 2 hours of child(ren) reading or playing without requiring supervision. Work up to it.

Play with friends have or free time or screen time, or do errands.

6 PM: Dinner.

7:30 PM: Parent reads aloud from a chapter book at bedtime.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3

Met with the lady and her delightful little 6 year old who has been punished every day in 1st grade for being a perfectly normal little boy and stuck in the "calm down" corner.  Showed her stuff including TWTM.  Told her about this board and local resources.  Showed her curricula from my 1st grade shelf.  Her husband isn't really on board but she's working on him. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I should get something big done.

I... um... I took a nap.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I should add that we did devotions at night. So a Bible story in the morning and something like The Millers before bed.

I forgot our foreign language studies before lunch, but that was just the kana and Greek alphabet. His hands were too wittle to do it all at once.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Met with the lady and her delightful little 6 year old who has been punished every day in 1st grade for being a perfectly normal little boy and stuck in the "calm down" corner.  Showed her stuff including TWTM.  Told her about this board and local resources.  Showed her curricula from my 1st grade shelf.  Her husband isn't really on board but she's working on him. 

Yay Jean!  That's great!

• Like 2

We had a wonderful time at the library.  Riders in the Sky puts an an amazingly fun family friendly show.  It was 90 degrees, but I was in at least some shade for 3/4ths of it.  I didn't get fwetty, but, like a proper lady, glistened like the light of a thousand suns.  

We had story time and banished the goat and now I have a few minutes to get my brain in order before the kids' orchestra.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Why do I feel like I have something to do/someplace to be right now, but I can’t remember what it is??  Nothing is on the calendar. It’s Tuesday... no music lessons. I did meet with our teacher from our charter school. I have two kids we are going to do IEPs for. We got the results of the STAR tests.????? I know testing isn’t the end all-be all, but I think it gave a pretty accurate indication of where my kids are at.

Oh.... well... there you have it. A Booya/h. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Why do I feel like I have something to do/someplace to be right now, but I can’t remember what it is??  Nothing is on the calendar. It’s Tuesday... no music lessons. I did meet with our teacher from our charter school. I have two kids we are going to do IEPs for. We got the results of the STAR tests.????? I know testing isn’t the end all-be all, but I think it gave a pretty accurate indication of where my kids are at.

Oh.... well... there you have it. A Booya/h. 

You're supposed to be babysitting for me!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

We are home from the place.  The girls are eating Krissi's Famous Creamy Potato Soup for dinner (the boys ate some earlier).  Guess who we get to see perform tomorrow morning in a free show at the Big City Library?

Can you repost that recipe for me?  I think I want to try it this week.

• Like 2

Sure...

1 30 oz. bag frozen hash browns

3 14 oz. cans chicken broth

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 c chopped onions (I just throw in some dehydrated onion)

1/4 tsp. Black pepper

Place in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours (longer if you want it creamier). Stir in 1 8-oz. package softened cream cheese. Cook for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally until combined. Serve with minced green onions, bacon bits, shredded cheese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I got my new glasses yesterday with progressive lenses.  I haven't made it through half a day yet with them.  I love thst I can see, but haven't gotten past the headache and nausea yet.

Blah! Is this normal?

Edited by Slache
for punctuation

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

Ah, that’s probably why I never made it.  We never buy cream of anything.  I think maybe because of allergies.  I will have to look at the ingredients again

I think you could probably leave out the soup.  Since I make it in my IP, first I IP the hash browns and broth on (manual) high for 15 minutes, then I stick everything else in on the slow cooker setting for the rest of the day.  I also add diced ham and mixed veggies.

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Sorry, I don't actually have any.  

Here's my favorite recipe - it's worth the work and then you hide it in the fridge behind a bunch of old condiments.

Chocolate sauce
Ingredients
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 cup heavy cream or half and half 
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and cream, stirring with a whisk until completely combined and smooth. 
2. Turn heat on stove to medium and stirring occasionally, bring to a boil. 
3. Stir in butter and continue to boil until sauce barely thickens, about 5 minutes. 
4. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving over ice cream. Store in container in the refrigerator. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warm.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1