Menu

Ignore this thread!

18 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Are they joined by a pastor, a priest, and a rabbi?

I'm going to look at gazelle.com. Thanks for the suggestion. And the support. The loan I need is for the lawyer, but I can see about opening a credit card...I didn't think of that. I need to ponder this.

You can pay a lawyer on a credit card. I recommend a retail card if you can get 0% interest for 18 months. Obviously, this is not a great long-term financial strategy. However, if you know you are going to carry $2-5k in debt for 12 months or more, a zero-interest credit card for emergencies as well can help. Plus, unlike some other loans, the payments can easily be negotiated while you improve your income.

• Like 1

Some of my kids spell horribly on paper. One of them actually won her spelling bee because it was verbal, but on paper, it’s really terrible.

I no longer care. That’s how I solved the problem. Thank goodness schools want everything typed and there’s spellcheck. I used to pour so much energy into it...honestly, I tried! Wasn’t worth the energy in our lives. Nothing against people who think it’s worth the energy in their lives, but we have bigger fish and lots of fish to fry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my experience once you get to basic legibility, ability to spell is inversely related to economic success in life. Too much attention to detail apparently makes people think you are a secretary, and there are a lot of people in sales, technology and engineering that couldn't write a simple e-mail if their lives depended on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I’m still traveling with Baby- So tired! There’s not even a coffee maker in this house so I go to a gas station!

While I was gone the house flooded. Apparently it’s bad and insurance and professionals are already clearing stuff out. I feel a little guilty for being glad I chose this week to be away. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

In my experience once you get to basic legibility, ability to spell is inversely related to economic success in life. Too much attention to detail apparently makes people think you are a secretary, and there are a lot of people in sales, technology and engineering that couldn't write a simple e-mail if their lives depended on it.

My kids shall be rich!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Hi!! I am here!! It’s been an intense morning, but not bad. I am tired (could also be UTI related). I am sipping lemonade. It’s going to be a scorcher today.

I don’t know nothing about no leaky windows.

congratulatins on that multi-quote, Bookmom, I was pretty thrilled with my first one, too.

I don’t know nothing about string quartets and The Sound of Music, but if anyone can put something together, it’s Susan.

Paige, lack of a coffeemaker is a serious offense. 

Critter.... Rocco is on the way with the Special ITT Medicine.

well, what do you know?. It’s a Booya/h!!!

• Like 5

My personal philosophy regarding spelling is.... I believe it is innate. Some people are good spellers, some aren’t. Now, yes, I do believe it is important for kids to have a good spelling program, but i don’t think that a good spelling program will make a good speller. I also think that reading a lot helps spelling.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

Of course I know that he isn't doing fifth grade-level work in all subjects. Children in classrooms aren't doing fifth grade-level work in all subjects, either, TBH. ? But that fifth grade-level label identifies the fact that he is not at the level expected for a 10yo person who would be in fifth grade if he were in school (depending on the cut-off date in the state and his birthday, a child who is in fifth grade in school would have been 10yo at the beginning of the school year: either he was 9 and had his 10th birthday in school, or he was 10 at the beginning of the year and had his 11th birthday in school. Those of us with summer birthdays would be 10 for the whole year.).

If you've been faithfully following AAS all along (and I say that because sometimes people think they are following a specific method because that's what they start with, but then they make all sorts of adjustments, and those adjustments really change things such that it's no longer that method), and it sounds as if you are,  and he isn't at grade level, then *I* would be a little concerned.

Okay, I think we’re either talking past each other, I wasn’t clear, or you’re fixating on something I said which is really neither here nor there.  So I’m just going to leave the grade level thing alone.  

I guess I’m not concerned with the test results because we already are addressing what we know is a deficit, kwim?  We tried very expensive VT this year precisely because I knew there was something going on.  So it’s not that I’m not concerned about his situation, I’m just not concerned about the test results saying he’s not at grade level.  I somewhat expected it.  

We’re making progress, but it’s slow.

(Not trying to sound argumentative.  Hopefully I don’t.  And I am more than open to actual concrete suggestions of possible paths forward/activities to try if you have experience with this particular type of thing.)

And as always, I puffy heart appreciate the concern ITT-ers show for each other and our kids.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

Of course I know that he isn't doing fifth grade-level work in all subjects. Children in classrooms aren't doing fifth grade-level work in all subjects, either, TBH. ? But that fifth grade-level label identifies the fact that he is not at the level expected for a 10yo person who would be in fifth grade if he were in school (depending on the cut-off date in the state and his birthday, a child who is in fifth grade in school would have been 10yo at the beginning of the school year: either he was 9 and had his 10th birthday in school, or he was 10 at the beginning of the year and had his 11th birthday in school. Those of us with summer birthdays would be 10 for the whole year.).

If you've been faithfully following AAS all along (and I say that because sometimes people think they are following a specific method because that's what they start with, but then they make all sorts of adjustments, and those adjustments really change things such that it's no longer that method), and it sounds as if you are,  and he isn't at grade level, then *I* would be a little concerned.

Okay, I think we’re either talking past each other, I wasn’t clear, or you’re fixating on something I said which is really neither here nor there.  So I’m just going to leave the grade level thing alone.  

I guess I’m not concerned with the test results because we already are addressing what we know is a deficit, kwim?  We tried very expensive VT this year precisely because I knew there was something going on.  So it’s not that I’m not concerned about his situation, I’m just not concerned about the test results saying he’s not at grade level.  I somewhat expected it.  

We’re making progress, but it’s slow.

(Not trying to sound argumentative.  Hopefully I don’t.  And I am more than open to actual concrete suggestions of possible paths forward/activities to try if you have experience with this particular type of thing.)

And as always, I puffy heart appreciate the concern ITT-ers show for each other and our kids.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Hi!! I am here!! It’s been an intense morning, but not bad. I am tired (could also be UTI related). I am sipping lemonade. It’s going to be a scorcher today.

I don’t know nothing about no leaky windows.

congratulatins on that multi-quote, Bookmom, I was pretty thrilled with my first one, too.

I don’t know nothing about string quartets and The Sound of Music, but if anyone can put something together, it’s Susan.

Paige, lack of a coffeemaker is a serious offense. 

Critter.... Rocco is on the way with the Special ITT Medicine.

well, what do you know?. It’s a Booya/h!!!

Yippee!

• Like 1

I am having a hamburger with mushrooms and Swiss cheese. Yum. I edited hard today. I have two more sections to edit and then I can revise tonight if I like or reward myself with Stanley Cup action. I think hockey is going to win out tonight.

• Like 1

Dinner was mostly a success.  I tried two new recipes tonight.

One was for gluten free chicken tenders -- this recipe actually worked pretty well.  I also made roasted grape tomatoes for the first time.  Easy and good, though I don't think anyone liked them except me.

We also had salad greens and (store-bought) potato salad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am having a hamburger with mushrooms and Swiss cheese. Yum. I edited hard today. I have two more sections to edit and then I can revise tonight if I like or reward myself with Stanley Cup action. I think hockey is going to win out tonight.

Go Caps!!

Paige, I don't think you're still close, but if you are I'll be in town in the morning if you want me to bring you a coffee.  :biggrin:  And I love your thoughts about spelling.  And I don't think you should feel guilty at all about missing the mess.  It was obviously providential!  :smile:

Ikslo, another thoughtful and logical post about spelling and the progress you guys are making.  I agree!  

• Like 2

(((Paige)))

Sorry about your house flooding.  Ours has been ok this time, but the basement flooded several years ago.  The water flowed across our backyard, collected at the bottom of the walk-out basement steps, and then broke the door.  :svengo:

It was a terrible mess to clean up.  Be thankful that you're missing it.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((Paige)))

Sorry about your house flooding.  Ours has been ok this time, but the basement flooded several years ago.  The water flowed across our backyard, collected at the bottom of the walk-out basement steps, and then broke the door.  :svengo:

That’s pretty much what happened. There was a drain, and it was clear of debris, but must have been clogged deep inside. Our basement is large and the entire thing flooded from one door. The sump pump failed. They think it’s because it also drained into the pipe that was clogged. Fortunately we had already bought new flooring to put down and had only gotten around to installing a small portion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I wish French spelling wasn't so complicated. Kills me every time.

French kids study spelling in school even more than American kids do. By middle school it is called grammar but really it is all about how to spell the various verb ending that all sound the same (é, er, ai, ais, ait, aient, etc.)

Not something a spell xgevker can easily fix either...

• Like 2

I walked the kids. :sleep:

This is why I don't speak French. :blink:

Now that Matt's considering Tennessee I'm putting my plug in for Mississippi. Stay tuned. :ph34r:

Eta: Because I love the South almost as much as the West Coast and because BEACHES! :cool:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

(((Paige)))

40 minutes ago, Paige said:

That’s pretty much what happened. There was a drain, and it was clear of debris, but must have been clogged deep inside. Our basement is large and the entire thing flooded from one door. The sump pump failed. They think it’s because it also drained into the pipe that was clogged. Fortunately we had already bought new flooring to put down and had only gotten around to installing a small portion.

So what I am hearing you both say is don’t buy a house with a basement stairwell.  Got it. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

Why is my type so large today?

Okay, never mind, it looks smaller when I submit.  Just not that one double post from when I was at the park.  Weird.

I get weird things, too. I think it's because they're constantly changing things.

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

So what I am hearing you both say is don’t buy a house with a basement stairwell.  Got it. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, don’t do it! Someone warned us about those once and we didn’t listen. Now it’s on my list of dealbreakers for the future. 

It happened quickly. Basement was dry before church and flooded after.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I grew up in a house with a concrete slab - never had any problems of any kind.  Now we have a basement (sort of walk out ish - through the garage) and have had a number of water issues (usually septic tank related) and constant moisture issues (dehumidifier runs a lot).  If I ever have reason to move, I never want a basement (or crawl space) ever again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I grew up in a house with a concrete slab - never had any problems of any kind.  Now we have a basement (sort of walk out ish - through the garage) and have had a number of water issues (usually septic tank related) and constant moisture issues (dehumidifier runs a lot).  If I ever have reason to move, I never want a basement (or crawl space) ever again.

This! Very this.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I, too, think it is innate, and that those things help.  My dh, who teaches AP classes, will still ask me how to spell certain words (well, he uses me as spellchecker).  And ds11, who couldn't read til like end of 2nd grade(?) just instinctively knows how to spell, even words most people would think are difficult.

I am an innate speller. I can tell if words are spelled right whether I know how to spell them or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1