Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good night. Not catching up. Ready to crash and already in the bed in preparation for the crash. My back is better, but I will take only 1/2 of one of those muscle relaxers tonight. I'm too old to wake up at one ready to run a marathon. The crash on the other side is too much for poor old me!

• Like 5

I’m reading a depressing book.it’s called “We Were the Lucky Ones” by Georgia Hunter. It’s a beautifully written book, but it’s about a family of Polish Jews during WWII. I need to stop picking up depressing books.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’m sitting outside on the back patio. A baby opossum just came and ate up all the cat food. Bleh!! Those things are nasty!

Opossums may be your best friend--they eat ticks.

Not as cute as kittens though ?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I started knitting a dishcloth while watching "Worth It" on Amazon Prime.  This show has taught me that putting edible goldleaf on food is stupid.

Shepherd's pie is in the oven.

Thanks for the tip, I was about to head out and replenish my supply of gold leaf.

Not sure my casseroles will look right without it though...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I woke up with the kind of headache that registers on the Richter scale. Caffeine, do your thing.

People are weird. It's a thing. Possums might eat ticks, but they are top of my list for purveying fleas into the neighborhood if they take up residence close to the house. Dogs love all kinds of poop, not just chicken poop. 

I have a TON of writing related stuff to take care of today. I got some good feedback the other day that made me really happy, and I thought I'd share it. While working on pitches for an upcoming contest, I availed myself of some help offered by a freelance editor because I know nothing about pitching online except what I've seen and what I've read. She had me send me my paltry attempts and my query letter. Got back to me with some good feedback on the pitches, but also a request. She said she'd never seen anything quite like my story done before, and she wanted to read it. I have a new Beta reader! Therefore, I have to polish my last chapters in record time (I'm ahead of schedule and plan to finish in the next week), but she said she's ready to read as soon as I'm ready to send. Very happy about that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For their protection and mine, nine of the cheesy rolls have been removed to the freezer. ;)

I didn't church because allergies, so I caught up on the church emails re: meetings to come Wednesday and Thursday. Now it's Cuddles Sunday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a decent, inexpensive, secondhand laptop or PC?

Hugs and prayers to you, Bookie!  I'm sorry it was such struggle this morning.  (Psalm 34:18)

Is there a way to get word to your church that you are looking for something?  Maybe around your neighborhood?  People and companies are updating their computer stuff all the time, so if you get word out that you are in need, something might turn up before too long.

• Like 1

Edpo

So...spelling.  It's the only subject DS has bombed (again!) on the end-of-year testing.  He is cumulatively in the 95+ percentile in all three groups: Language (95), Maths (99), and Reading (96).  BUT, if you look at the Language break down, you see a huge dip in spelling: Mechanics (85), Usage & Structure (99), and Spelling (38).  I am not worried as I have seen improvement (day to day, although not much if you look at the testing), but DH wants us to do spelling over the summer.  We already do AAS.  I plan to continue AAS next year.  I was thinking of switching it up for the summer, though, and I have no idea what to pick.  Preferably an independent workbook type thing he could do while I am at work?  If I have to do it with him later, though, I'm more than willing.  Any suggestions would be helpful. 

One of the things that is a sticking point in doing this at all is that when I ask him to spell verbally, he does great.  Spells the same word 30 seconds later on paper and sometimes gets it wrong.  Or he can stare at a misspelled word and not notice it is spelled incorrectly, but then if I ask him to spell it out loud, he spells it correctly.  So I know there is a mind to paper gap.  I think AAS has been helping with that.  But not enough to get him up to "grade level" - whatever that means with respect to homeschooling.  Again, I don't care that he's not on grade level with spelling and writing.  But I'm just explaining so that if you have suggestions for curriculum that address that gap... :) 

I'd be fine with just doing typing over the summer, but I am also willing to accept DH's simple request that we work on spelling over the summer.  (For the record, DH does not think I've dropped the ball or anything, he just figures it can't hurt.)

I'll consider anything but Spalding (LOL, sorry Queen!) since this is only a summer intensive and I'm otherwise pretty happy with AAS.

So what would be your choice, and why? 

• Like 1

Good Afternoon!!

COFFEE!!~D

we churched. Good sermon. Our Sunday School class brought the morning worship service at the nearby Retirement Home that is affiliated with our church. I saw my great-aunt. She’s my grandma’s sister. She looks a lot like my grandma, so it was good to see her. I miss my grandma a lot. She was an awesome person and died about 8 years ago.

I’ve got another #$£¥}@#+ UTI. I am so mad. I’ve been doing everything to prevent it, but still....   I guess I will call the doctor tomorrow. ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

IKSLO, we have always used Spelling Workout. I like it, it’s a workbook and pretty independent, so it would probably work for your kid.

That was on my short list.  Suggestions on what level?  He just finished 5th grade, but his grade equivalency for spelling on the CAT was a 4.5.  Should I do level D? 

We use SWO because it gets done.  I'm not sure it helps a great deal with spelling, but it doesn't hurt.  Anything more teacher intensive doesn't last long here.  

I'm wondering if dictation of some kind would help your ds more since the issue is more about getting it correctly on paper.  There are various resources to make it an open and go thing - some are even free online (Dictation Day by Day?).    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

We use SWO because it gets done.  I'm not sure it helps a great deal with spelling, but it doesn't hurt.  Anything more teacher intensive doesn't last long here.  

I'm wondering if dictation of some kind would help your ds more since the issue is more about getting it correctly on paper.  There are various resources to make it an open and go thing - some are even free online (Dictation Day by Day?).    

AAS has dictations.  I usually dictate the sentence twice, and more often than not have to repeat it again when he’s halfway through. ? Even then, I sometimes get a different sentence than what I read.  Although it usually is similar.  For instance,  “Let’s drop the anchor and float here for the rest of the afternoon” might become “Let’s drop anchor and rest here for the afternoon.”  Or “The mechanic offered to fix our robot free of charge” becomes “The mechanic offered to fix the robot for free.”  He comprehends the sentence and remembers the meaning, but by half way through the sentence, while having to think about how to spell stuff along the way, he simply forgets the exact words and paraphrases. ? 

I probably should go back and redo the dictation portions of AAS with him this summer, as well.  But I’m still looking for something for him to do on his own while I’m at work so he has to earn iPad time, LOL.

Is SWO  Spelling Workout?

• Like 1

Yes, SWO is Spelling Workout.  

With dictation, I don't (personally) think it's all that crucial how well (or how much) they can hold it in their heads.  But the practice of spelling words correctly going from head to page is the important thing.  You could back up to easier words and sentences and work on the memory and accuracy.  Or you could feed him half sentences at a time.  Does he get to see the sentences first in AAS?  I wouldn't have a problem with copying one day and dictating them the next.  (Disclaimer:  I never stick with dictation very long because lazy.  I have no experience or expertise to tell you how to do it or what to shoot for.  With anything, I like to start with material that's easy and gives the student success and then slowly increase difficulty.  Because lazy.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I gave into the poking, and it got ugly. I'm disappointed in myself. 

It is impossible to ALWAYS, but ALWAYS, be the calm, responsible, forgiving, water off a ducks back person.

No matter how well you know that you are dealing with irrational and that engaging never yields anything positive.

You're human. You're being hurt. It's ok that you don't always respond like a logical robot might. You're carrying an impossibly heavy load and somehow managing each day--that is heroic.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ikslo said:

Edpo

So...spelling.  

So what would be your choice, and why? 

Two of my kids have used Apples Spelling (and the second book - Apples 2?).  They liked it pretty well.  Dd15's spelling has improved dramatically, though her handwriting has not, lol.