Menu

Ignore this thread!

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I miss Whataburger, though I prefer In-N-Out.

We are going through the girls’ wardrobe this morning. Youngest is only going to need summer sandals. We just plugged the gaps in older dd’s wardrobe, so all she needs now is sandals also.

Younger ds, though...that kid is growing like crazy and Oldest did not leave much in good condition to pass down.

We love In'n Out!! Favorite fast food place!

My lower back is trying to kill me.  Thus, my hip is aching, too.

I am now on the heating pad, having packed 14 boxes today.  Go me.  I can get up to 16 done, but that is all.  At 16 I will have packed all the free boxes I brought home from work.  

DH didn’t question my packing and suggested I number the boxes and make a list of contents.  In case we hire a moving company.  Hmmm.  I did not know that was possibly in the plans.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So.... random question here.... does anyone have any opinions on Midland, Texas?

As in.... what it's like to live there? Decent place? Cost of living? Climate?

That doesn’t sound so random.  Are you guys looking to possibly move?

23 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Slache—can you go to just the reception?

We have the flower girl and ring bearer in the back seat.

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This no emoji thing is killing me.

No ITTer shall die for any reason.

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I am now on the heating pad, having packed 14 boxes today.  Go me.  I can get up to 16 done, but that is all.  At 16 I will have packed all the free boxes I brought home from work.  

DH didn’t question my packing and suggested I number the boxes and make a list of contents.  In case we hire a moving company.  Hmmm.  I did not know that was possibly in the plans.  

(((ikslo)))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ikslo said:

That doesn’t sound so random.  Are you guys looking to possibly move?

Well, it's always in the back of our mind.  Things with California are getting crazier and crazier.... more restrictive homeschooling laws, the high-speed rail fiasco, the drought,  the whole Illegal alien/sanctuary state thing, California continues to put restrictions and higher taxes on the backs of business, so businesses are moving out of California. The parent company of DH's company is out of state and we're not sure when his boss is just going to say, "Enough's enough" and leave altogether. DH has been looking for a job for the past couple years and jobs are hard to find here in manufacturing. And the political climate.... our current Governor is crazy liberal, but the guy who's the front-runner in the gubernatorial race is even crazier than the current guy.  We want to stay here because our roots are pretty deep and family and all that... but, if DH can't find a job. And we are kind of expecting a mass exodus in the next several years because of the tax burden on the middle class, so if we wait till then we're afraid we'd get pennies on the dollar for our house.  The bottom line is, we don't want to  move. At all.  But, we may not have a choice and are thinking we want to move when we are in control of things and not when DH is out of a job and the whole California economy is collapsing.

Anyhow, apparently there are jobs in DH's field in Midland. So, we've been throwing that around.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

So.... random question here.... does anyone have any opinions on Midland, Texas?

As in.... what it's like to live there? Decent place? Cost of living? Climate?

One of my BFFs grew up in Midland. It’s dry (ie dust storms) and somewhat isolated from the rest of Texas. It identifies closely with El Paso and with the oil and gas industries. Cost of living is WAY cheaper than CA.

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Hugs, Ikslo. Inventory list is nice, and also a photograph. Lift carefully!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi, you should consider Middle TN.  Because Awesome.

OTOH, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway!

I drove through Tennessee once and fell in love. With Tennessee. Not anyone I was In the car ? with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

One of my BFFs grew up in Midland. It’s dry (ie dust storms) and somewhat isolated from the rest of Texas. It identifies closely with El Paso and with the oil and gas industries. Cost of living is WAY cheaper than CA.

Well, we are used to dry.  But it does look rather.... in the middle of nowhere.

Wedding was fine. Several people wore flannel shirts, jeans and old tennis shoes, including the wedding party. She was horrified. I do not like or respect this woman but our family was dressed nicely and respectful to her family. I'm glad this is over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, we are used to dry.  But it does look rather.... in the middle of nowhere.

There is that. It does have Target, Chik-Fil-A, Ulta, GameStop....decent shopping for West Texas. It's not just Wal-Mart. I-20 takes you to Odessa next door. Amazon and Netflix are available anywhere, and there is a branch of Texas Tech U which makes for more cultural opportunities.

OTOH, towns that are industry dependent (like on oil and gas) are very much boom and bust.  If you're trying to avoid that.....Midland has been diversifying, but probably not as much as you would like.

• Like 1

Ok, I need some dietary/food allergy advice.  There are a ton of semi-affordable SE Asian restaurants near me, but I have an anaphylactic coconut allergy. As in, coconut milk will try to kill me. I also need to be REALLY careful about cross-contamination with raw stuff. For this reason, I haven't tried to eat at any of the Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Burmese, or other restaurants around me. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the cultural richness around me, but I am not sophisticated enough to figure out what I can safely eat as the menus are not always clear and there are some language barriers according to dh who has lunched at a few of these places.  Like, I know ginataan means cooked with coconut milk in Filipino, and that's it. I don't yet know any of my neighbors well enough to ask them to dinner and to translate for me, iykwim.

Advice? Do I just hold off a while longer? Is there something I could safely order, no problem? 

35 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ok, I need some dietary/food allergy advice.  There are a ton of semi-affordable SE Asian restaurants near me, but I have an anaphylactic coconut allergy. As in, coconut milk will try to kill me. I also need to be REALLY careful about cross-contamination with raw stuff. For this reason, I haven't tried to eat at any of the Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Burmese, or other restaurants around me. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the cultural richness around me, but I am not sophisticated enough to figure out what I can safely eat as the menus are not always clear and there are some language barriers according to dh who has lunched at a few of these places.  Like, I know ginataan means cooked with coconut milk in Filipino, and that's it. I don't yet know any of my neighbors well enough to ask them to dinner and to translate for me, iykwim.

Advice? Do I just hold off a while longer? Is there something I could safely order, no problem? 

Moat Japanese won’t have coconut in it. In fact I cannot think of anything traditional that would. 

Filipino and Thai would be more difficult. Specifically curries in Thai but other things as well. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Wedding was fine. Several people wore flannel shirts, jeans and old tennis shoes, including the wedding party. She was horrified. I do not like or respect this woman but our family was dressed nicely and respectful to her family. I'm glad this is over.

You have done your duty, Slashie!! And you know that you were respectful, no matter what anyone else did.

• Like 3

Edpo: Since beginning Singing Made Easy my singing has drastically improved. I am completely shocked and excited to continue with the program.

Edpo 2: I'm thinking of drastically cutting back my intentions and going more into an L(and G)CC focus, which was my first love.

Bible, Greek, Latin, Math, Progym, Piano, Drawing and a library card. Good stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

The only things I remember about Midland are high school football is THE thing, and it's where Baby Jessica fell into the well.

I think.

Oh dear. Is it like that show “Friday Night Lights”? I hated that show. Well, I kind of liked the show, because I kind of like soap operas, but I couldn’t live in a place like that.

We dinnered. Potato soup and corn bread. And salad. And the little apple hand pirs. The kids loved them, even if they were ugly. And I think I accidentally put too much salt in the crust. Well, there’s no accounting for taste.

Annnnnd this is a Potato Soup Booya/h!!

PS: DS’s Bible teacher introduced the class to the classic... “Who’s on first...”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m making little apple hand pies. They are turning out awful. Pie crust and I do not like each other.

So this is what I used for the first time this Easter.  It was a hit.  (My pie crusts have never been good in the past.)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-pie-crust-recipe-1919026

Points for starting with so.

ETA:  Okay... so I just noticed you mentioned "hand" pies, which I've never heard of.  But dh took the extra filling and the extra Ina Garten crust and wrapped up a dozen little blobs and baked them with the pie (but not as long) and they were AWESOME.  NOTE:  I brushed the crusts (both big and little) with milk and sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on top.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

The only things I remember about Midland are high school football is THE thing, and it's where Baby Jessica fell into the well.

I think.

Oh WOW.

That became a made for TV movie.  My father taped it and labeled the VHS "Baby In Bottom of Well."  We kids watched it at least half a squillion times.  I had it memorized. 

• Like 1