Menu

Ignore this thread!

Hey Krissi, how was that open house you went to?

It was really good, thanks for asking!! They seem to offer a lot of freedom, both in methodology and curriculum, although they absolutely do not allow Christian curriculum (of course I can teach my own Bible class, but they won’t let me use CLE for math and LA, etc.). They give nice funding for electives, which is what piqued my interest most of all, especially for DS2. Since I’m schooling him through high school now, I need something non academic for his electives and this would pay for it. Also, I learned of a very good math tutoring service on their list of vendors that I may end up putting DS and oldest 2 DDs in because they all struggle so much in math. But, I promised myself I was not going to make a quick, emotional decision. And it’s for next school year anyhow, so I am not going to make a decision until after Easter. I want to think and pray about it first,
  • Like 5

If those are the See's lollipops they are quite good, but I agree on the size and shape of the lollies. They do now sell "Little Pops", which are small candies made of the same stuff, individually wrapped. Each box contains an assortment of the four different flavors (cafe latte, vanilla, butterscotch, and chocolate). I wish they sold boxes of single flavors at my local See's counter (in my local grocery store), but it looks like single-flavor boxes are available online. I like the size and shape of the small candies much better.

http://www.sees.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-sees-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=200342&dwvar_200342_flavor=CafeLatte&dwvar_200342_size=4oz&source=detail

I hate Sees lollipops. They are the wrong shape and too hard. I have a bad habit of chewing on lollipops and if you chew on a Sees, you will break your molars.
  • Like 2

I didn't sleep particularly well last night.

I ended up taking Advil and a shower at 3 a.m. because my right shoulder was really bothering me.

My left side has been bothering me recently (not the right), so I was a little confused until I remembered that I washed the hardwood floor last night.

Oh.

It feels better this morning.

And my house still smells like Murphy's Oil Soap.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope it keeps feeling better.

• Like 1

I got about 30 more minutes of sleep. Alex is napping after being up much of the night and the kids are exhausted and watching a movie. I am at peace about having to wait for my test.

What is this new salad?

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/italian-chopped-salad/

Tell us! Tell us!

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/italian-chopped-salad/

I dreamed I had this huge house. I didn't relish the idea of taking care of it, but I did like the large garden with greenhouse (and beehives) and the large, beautiful, walnut-paneled library. :001_wub:

Matt wants a big house. 5,000 sqft or so. I don't. Like a lot dont.

Please don’t make me buy that book!! I know I should, but.... I don’t have time to read it. And especially if I go with this charter....

Listen to the talk and then decide. It makes some good points which should satisfy your desires for a while without the time commitment.

You don’t have to! I took a break from reading educational philosophy for most of last year. Sometimes you just need to take a break to digest and focus on your own, real kids.

Love!
  • Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•

Tuesday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Got a little rain last night. I’ll have to check the rain gauge for totals. They weren’t predicting much.

Not too much going on today. Hopefully I can get some thinking done. Two birthdays are coming up with activities pursuant (it is DS’s year for a birthday party, so I have to get that planned for the 17th; and DD turns 12 on Sunday and she is promised pierced ears when she turns 12, and she wants her two besties to come with, and Saturday would be the ideal time, but Saturday morning is also the last showing of the play my BFF is directing (she directs a homeschool theater company and they are really good) and I want to take all the kids, but DD doesn’t want her brothers along for the ear piercing and I couldn’t fit my kids and besties all in my van, but I also don’t want to take 2 trips to the Big City, but I din’t Want to go on Sunday because it is my only day of rest, and if we don’t go this weekend we’d have to put it off for at least 3 more weekends.)

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   

Would your DH and a second vehicle (or another adult/parent) be willing to tag along to the play, driving the boys separately, and then separate for whatever else while you and the girls go do the ear piercing and whatnot?

• Like 1

That sounds heavenly.

There also needs to be a bit of an outdoor kitchen so DH can have his smoker grill and whatever else he needs, and a dining patio.  The porches would also include one or more porch swings long enough and comfortable enough to lie down on all stretched out while swinging gently.  Ceiling fans on the porches to help stir the air when needed.  Long views in every direction, with trees providing some shade to the south of the house.  No electric lights shining in the windows at night, so we can see the stars.  I get covered parking with enough covered space all around for loading and unloading people and stuff.

• Like 2

Yeah, I know the feeling!!!!

I found my hazelnut creamer so I am having a cup of decaf right now.

The best-laid plans:  DD13 is fatigued to tears so I will be calling the dance studio to let her ballet teacher know she won't be in today.  She is under orders to rest, in hopes that she will at least be able to handle helping out at the kids' class in Aikido this evening.

• Like 1

It was really good, thanks for asking!! They seem to offer a lot of freedom, both in methodology and curriculum, although they absolutely do not allow Christian curriculum (of course I can teach my own Bible class, but they won’t let me use CLE for math and LA, etc.). They give nice funding for electives, which is what piqued my interest most of all, especially for DS2. Since I’m schooling him through high school now, I need something non academic for his electives and this would pay for it. Also, I learned of a very good math tutoring service on their list of vendors that I may end up putting DS and oldest 2 DDs in because they all struggle so much in math. But, I promised myself I was not going to make a quick, emotional decision. And it’s for next school year anyhow, so I am not going to make a decision until after Easter. I want to think and pray about it first,

Yesterday when DH got home from work I visited with him for several minutes about the visit with the 9th grade counselor and DD13's options at that school.  Afterwards DD16 and I ended up talking a while -- she is feeling "like the little sister" because she just isn't as advanced or talented in math and technology as her younger sister is.  We discussed different people having different strengths, and what her strengths and ideas about her own path are.  Sometimes I wonder if I should try hiring a tutoring service to work with DD16 on her math.  It is not out of the question for next year.

• Like 3

If I won the lottery, I'd build a house reminiscent of my grandmother's. My grandfather built it somewhere around the 1930s and it was a small Victorian style house with lots of little details like window seats, pocket doors, walk in closets, and huge covered porches. I'd want to set it on land similar to theirs too because it was awesome- a neighborhood in the front that was walkable to stores, schools, parks, etc. and a combo of cleared yard and wooded trails to explore in the back. I wouldn't want the exact house, though, because I don't want to live in that city and we need want more than 1 bathroom! 

• Like 5

I hate Sees lollipops. They are the wrong shape and too hard. I have a bad habit of chewing on lollipops and if you chew on a Sees, you will break your molars.

I love the flavors of the cafe latte and chocolate ones, but yes, they are so hard and big.  I like the Little Pops because they are more manageable, but they are still so hard.  That quality does, however, limit how many I might be tempted to eat at one time.

• Like 1

Please don’t make me buy that book!! I know I should, but.... I don’t have time to read it. And especially if I go with this charter....

I put it in my Books To Consider list so I can ignore it for so-busy now without forgetting about it entirely.

If I won the lottery, I'd build a house reminiscent of my grandmother's. My grandfather built it somewhere around the 1930s and it was a small Victorian style house with lots of little details like window seats, pocket doors, walk in closets, and huge covered porches. I'd want to set it on land similar to theirs too because it was awesome- a neighborhood in the front that was walkable to stores, schools, parks, etc. and a combo of cleared yard and wooded trails to explore in the back. I wouldn't want the exact house, though, because I don't want to live in that city and we need want more than 1 bathroom! 

There are elements of Victorian that I so love.  And bungalows, especially Airplane and Craftsman (but not limited to Craftsman).  And Prairie.  And Ranch.  And Farmhouse (especially the old farm house on the family farm before it was torn down due to dry rot in the foundation beams).

I keep trying to marry them all in my mind.  Setting is important, too, but I doubt we will move very far away from DH's parents ever, and I can't get Minnesota farm setting or Desert Southwest down here.  But I can try for other elements I appreciate and find new ones to help me accept and deal with the elements down here I find most trying.

• Like 2

I need a new vacuum and the hive makes me feel like a loser if I don't get a miele. But who wants to spend all that money on a vacuum when nobody likes vacuuming?

How about a cheap stick vac?

When our girls were younger DH got them a small Go Vac -- it could be sized for kids and really vacuumed, and was inexpensive and so easy to grab I was often using it myself instead of our main vacuum.  We started looking for one for Dad's place down here but discovered they weren't making the one we had anymore.  

Instead I went to AFSA and bought a cheap ($30) stick vac.  It's basically a dustbuster-type vac that has a longer handle that can be clipped on one end and a small rug brush that can be clipped on the other.  I'm keeping it at Dad's place so I can use it if/when needed between his biweekly cleaning days.

And now I'm considering getting another one for here.  It would be very handy on the stairs, and wouldn't be as loud at our Dirt Devil.

I have never heard of the Miele brand.  My folks used to be Kirby snobs, because my Dad at one point augmented the family income by selling those door-to-door.  Kirby vacs really are great machines, but boy, they are HEAVY.

Don't let brand names phase you much.  The vacuum that works best is the one that you can afford and people will use.

• Like 2

There are elements of Victorian that I so love.  And bungalows, especially Airplane and Craftsman (but not limited to Craftsman).  And Prairie.  And Ranch.  And Farmhouse (especially the old farm house on the family farm before it was torn down due to dry rot in the foundation beams).

I keep trying to marry them all in my mind.  Setting is important, too, but I doubt we will move very far away from DH's parents ever, and I can't get Minnesota farm setting or Desert Southwest down here.  But I can try for other elements I appreciate and find new ones to help me accept and deal with the elements down here I find most trying.

I found my dreamhouse on zillow, but it's under contract now.

It's also above my budget.  By about 5.75 million.   So .... there's that too.  

• Like 7

Already have a knock off but I need something for bigger jobs and for corners and stairs. We have a central vacuum but something has been wrong with it since we bought the house. Maybe we should just get that repaired.

I see. I've never spent more than $80 on a vacuum, but if I were going to I'd get one that you wear on your back. Have you ever used one like that? If not see if you can rent one. They're wonderful.

I absolutely adore craftsman style bungalows. If they are designed well and aren’t falling apart.

I also love, but could never ever afford what I call Pacific Northwest modern. Lots of natural materials (wood, stone, slate) in an airy modern style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!
  • Like 1

Now we know what the MJ in AMJ stands for: Mary Jane!

I googled that to try to get the reference.  The results were ... unexpected.  More Julia Child, but not quite so many pots and pans!

• Like 2

I'm going to be really stupid and pick sleeping Baby up from his swing (that he almost never sleeps in) and cuddle him because I miss him. Which is dumb. Because he almost never sleeps without me and now he is and I feel jealous of the stupid swing. What's wrong with me??!! He'll probably wake up and never sleep again.

• Like 9

I feel horribly depressed this morning. I'm going to have some popcorn, hot tea and ITT and see if that helps.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I suspect the weather is messing us all about a bit.  I hope your plan helps!

• Like 1

Ok, so... would you rather just blow the entire first day of your weekend and have the second day off, or would you divide your activities into two days? I am really leaning toward just doing it all on Saturday - play and ear piercing and then having Sunday off.

Right now I would vote for preserving one day for myself, if I could manage it without wearing myself down so badly that I couldn't function enough to get any benefit out of my day off.

• Like 2

Ok, so... would you rather just blow the entire first day of your weekend and have the second day off, or would you divide your activities into two days? I am really leaning toward just doing it all on Saturday - play and ear piercing and then having Sunday off.

We just moved all housework for the week (small apartment) to Sunday because Sundays are really hard anyway and we both appreciate the change.

• Like 1

Honestly, what would end up happening here is:

I would plan to divide the activities, and then on the second day I wouldn't actually do anything. So, if they all are to actually get done, do them all on Saturday.

• Like 2

Why does he want such a big house?

Because he's a snob.

Honestly, what would end up happening here is:

I would plan to divide the activities, and then on the second day I wouldn't actually do anything. So, if they all are to actually get done, do them all on Saturday.

Interesting point. I need everything done by Monday morning to thrive over the week so that ensures we actually do what I planned on on Sunday. Our old method (similar to flylady zones) was kind of a hot mess.
  • Like 2

I need a new vacuum and the hive makes me feel like a loser if I don't get a miele. But who wants to spend all that money on a vacuum when nobody likes vacuuming?

The movers broke my vacuum.  We went through a huge research process trying to figure out what we wanted to do. We ended up repairing my Dyson DC-14 because it's a really good Dyson model (8 years old), but if we hadn't done that, I would've felt completely comfortable buying a $200 shark navigator. (We ended up paying $200 to fix my Dyson--replacement part, new beater bar, complete cleaning, etc.)

• Like 1