Menu

Ignore this thread!

Her potential of being a decent human being and making something of herself in this world and as a good citizen, means a lot more to me than some pie-in-the-sky definition of what "isn't" educational neglect. 

Yes, yes, yes.

This reminds me of a blog post I read over here last fall, just after my dh's former colleague lost his 21 year-old son to a biking accident. 

Quoted in the blog post from an article at First Things:

"But we must never allow a curriculum for school to replace a curriculum of life; schooling mustn’t take over the education of living. When it does it becomes deeply mis-educative and disenchanting. It robs our children of the present gift of life they have been given by God.

"If—heaven forbid—they die young, I hope they will have lived beautiful lives even in their youth, perhaps even more so than those who survive them."

• Like 6

I hope they have a Gymnast 11 years after their last child...

Ok, I'm done.

Maybe.

I know, right?

Actually I'm so thankful that ds10, with all of his learning challenges and lovable personality quirks, was my first child. 

He forced me to think outside the box (and I have a teaching certification, so I was definitely in the box).  He made me reconsider all my preconceived notions of schooling at home. And he taught me to have grace to those who followed different approaches than I did, because heck -- they weren't me and their kids weren't mine. 

He humbled me. And the Good Lord knows I needed it.  I hate to think what our homeschool would look like now if it hadn't been for him.  

Also, oops and sorry.  I mean, if you were done for reals and now I've riled you up again.... :leaving:

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 5

How about your forum avatar?

Ha!  :laugh:

I don't have a single printed photo of any kid after #3 was born.   :lol:   The cord is missing on my subpar printer at home, and afsa is too far away,  and I'm too stupid and apathetic and busy to figure out how to do it any other way.  

Walk into my house and you'd think I only have a two year-old boy and a newborn girl.  And you'd think I'm French.  Because most of the frames that DID manage to get hung on the walls still have a stock photo of the Eiffel Tower in them.  

• Like 5

Ha!  :laugh:

I don't have a single printed photo of any kid after #3 was born.   :lol:   The cord is missing on my subpar printer at home, and afsa is too far away,  and I'm too stupid and apathetic and busy to figure out how to do it any other way.  

Walk into my house and you'd think I only have a two year-old boy and a newborn girl.  And you'd think I'm French.  Because most of the frames that DID manage to get hung on the walls still have a stock photo of the Eiffel Tower in them.  

Upload from your phone to Walgreens and have them print. They can mail them, or you can pick them up. There's always some coupon to make them really cheap.

• Like 1

Just popping in for an update - 

Dad is being transferred out of ICU and to another hospital. It is a specialized hospital with a "step down unit". The current hospital did not have a step-down unit and his doctors wanted him to have more supervision. This specialized hospital deals a lot with TBIs like his and they do aggressive therapies, which Dad needs. 

There are many signs that Dad is still "in there", like I was singing a hymn that he loves and he raised his eye brows and moved his head just like he would have to hit the note I was on (and he did it before I sang it...then I broke down sobbing because it was Dad shining through). 

Yesterday, he discovered his face again. It was just like a baby finding a new body part - constant touching and exploring. The nurse said that it's pretty common and that Dad's brain is pretty much rebooting, so he's relearning/discovering in certain capacities. 

Drs are pretty confident that he will have to learn to talk and walk again, but some things he DOES remember - he mouthed "I love you" to Mom today and he mouthed "get up" to the nurse and Mom. But, they also had him standing (with a tilted bed) and were working with him to wash his face. He couldn't understand the verbiage, but did great following visual clues. So, it'll take some time, but we'll get there! 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  and  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yay for progress!

• Like 1

I guess I should say that so much of my body has changed so much over the last 12 years that I just feel like this is another thing. It's not surprising at all.

Determining patterns or lack thereof can help find answers to potential problems.

What Renai said.  Also, please note:  My Dad was having mini-strokes for 3 years because he thought they were no big deal, "just another thing" of his TBI from 25 years ago.  

Please do pay attention to the changes and find out what's behind them.

• Like 2

Now she's chewing on her squeaky stuffed duck (sorry Quackersh) 

I forgive her.  My duckling chewed through both his stuffed puppies.  (Except he thinks there was only one stuffed puppy that was somehow magically healed one night, but that's another story for another day...)

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 6

Captain Spuds sweats profusely, “must...snark....â€

“ I don know how much more she cannae take!â€

“may I remind you, Captain, the use of snark in an internet argument is highly unlikely to have the desired effect. To use it would be deeply illogical.â€

“Dammit, Spock, can’t you see she’s only human?! People on the internet are WRONG! It’s more than a red blooded Potato can bear!â€

Captain Spuds thrashes around and throws herself overdramatically against furniture. “Muuuuuuuust.....snaaaaark....â€

:D  :D  :D

We were just watching the newer Star Trek and Star Trek Beyond movies this afternoon and evening.

Upload from your phone to Walgreens and have them print. They can mail them, or you can pick them up. There's always some coupon to make them really cheap.

I tried!  Somehow I blew them up a while back.

They think I already exist, under some undisclosed email username.   

That said, you are reminding that a new one opened up nearish to me recently.  Maybe I'll just try to stop by sometime in person when the kids aren't too annoying. 

• Like 1

I tried!  Somehow I blew them up a while back.

They think I already exist, under some undisclosed email username.   

That said, you are reminding that a new one opened up nearish to me recently.  Maybe I'll just try to stop by sometime in person when the kids aren't too annoying. 

They have a machine onsite that you can connect your phone or other usb device and do it that way.

• Like 1