Menu

Ignore this thread!

I did some of the things. I did school with the boys, swept the house, finished one short story, finished a scene in the other, and now I've just got sequel to write this evening and the synopsis to work on.

Chili and cornbread is going to taste good tonight.

:grouphug: Jean and all having no-good-very-bad days.

• Like 5

I have one clear memory of taking three minutes to go to the bathroom and returning to the kitchen to find the boys had opened the pantry and dumped all the flour out onto the floor.

:svengo:

I remember when dd19 was three and got a hold of a bottle of chocolate syrup and squirted it All. Over. The Playroom. :glare:

• Like 4

My 168 hours book suggests I save time around the house by going out to eat, 

:lol:

No. While there are a number of valid reasons for going out to eat, saving time is not one of them. We live in a low-income neighborhood in a city, so to get to a restaurant that's not fast food or other crap we drive about 20-25 min each way (I guess technically we might be able to cut that to only 15 or so min to downtown, but then you'd have to find parking, plus the restaurants there tend to be more expensive). That time does not include making sure the kids are ready to go, nor does it include getting snow and ice off the car. Then, of course, you have to wait to be seated, decide what everyone wants to order, wait for someone to take your order, wait for your food, eat it, and drive home. Doing groceries (assuming you don't do them every day), cooking, eating, and doing dishes (by hand!) at home is faster for sure. 

Of course, I'm probably doing things wrong by not living in a $300k house in the suburbs right where the chain restaurants are, or similar downtown with lots of $$$ for the restaurants there.

Realistically, ordering pizza or Chinese saves the most time, TV dinners a close second (buying a bunch of those once a week costs more time than ordering... though the number of times I have to repeat myself to the pizza/Chinese people really cuts into their lead), and with fast food coming in third place. Then home cooking would be fourth, and eating out at non-fast food place coming in last place. 

• Like 5

I've been scanning through my books on writing graphic novels and found something very interesting about pitching a graphic novel to publishers. It's a very visual kind of summary. Ironically, I found it to be something I could do with my short summary for agents. I'll probably take notes on that chapter tonight and see what I can do with it.

• Like 3

I always have rosemary in my garden. I don’t even use it to cook much. I just have it. Because rosemary.

I haven't been able to get rosemary to survive the winter here yet, but I keep trying. 

We have had a mild winter this year so I think last year's planting will make it through. It's also a variety that is supposed to be the most cold hardy.

• Like 2

I haven't been able to get rosemary to survive the winter here yet, but I keep trying.

We have had a mild winter this year so I think last year's planting will make it through. It's also a variety that is supposed to be the most cold hardy.

I’ve lost a couple over the years, but if they make it that first winter you’re good. Usually. :D. There are no guarantees in gardening.
  • Like 2

Juliet got her first “rotti snubâ€. A lady asked her breed and when I started to answer she clucked loudly and stepped back two steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(((Juliet)))

My brother's dog is a Rott-Black Lab.  She is beautiful, smart, and gentle.  :)

Give Juliet a hug from me.  I would do it myself, but I'm allergic to dogs.  That, and I'm on the other side of the country. ;)

• Like 7

Nope. I am in SW Missouri and I no longer teach public school. I teach for VIPKID; I get up before the roosters and teach English to cute kids in China. Not as much money, but I get to stay home with my kid! 

There are several VIPKID teachers who are in WV. I can't imagine how stressful a situation that is. I get why they're doing it, but I know the lack of income has got to be so hard. 

They are doing it for the kids in the long run. Glad to hear you can still work from home for your girl. I was gone for that development!

• Like 1

BookPo:

For those of you looking for a good book, I have another recommendation!

"Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demick.

Wow! Just wow. I had no idea.  Her writing is very compelling (and fairly easy to read, she gives background on why N. Korea is what it is, but doesn't get you too bogged down in the politics) and... honestly, I had no idea what life was like in North Korea.  This Book Challenge I'm doing has been the best thing I've done all year. I didn't realize what a rut I had been in as a reader and that's probably why I kind of got sick of reading. But now I am forced to read a variety of different books and it has been so refreshing.

• Like 7

Juliet got her first “rotti snubâ€. A lady asked her breed and when I started to answer she clucked loudly and stepped back two steps.

What a stupidhead. Rottis tend to be lambs. And, besides, who the heck is afraid of a puppy?

Hmph. I'm offended on your behalf.

• Like 3

I finished one month of reconciliation. I'm here for a breather.  

Youngest's preschool (that we really miss, post-move!) had HUGE rosemary bushes in-between the chapel and the gathering building.  They were at least four feet in diameter.  I had no idea rosemary could be that huge, until I saw it in its native climate. 

It's one of my favorite herbs!

• Like 1

We did the thing. It went fine. Follow-up appointment next Wednesday, hopefully with news that results are as expected based on previous tests.

Slight change of plans: results received today and were as expected. Follow-up appointment in May to see how it's going. (Lesson: I was right to start to :willy_nilly: doing everything when I did, and now I've gotten a lot done.) Yay for the information age and having the internet at home!

• Like 7

They are doing it for the kids in the long run. Glad to hear you can still work from home for your girl. I was gone for that development!

I don't remember the whole story either, but according to some VIPKID teachers that are involved, they tried to prevent it. The teachers had gone to their legislature, but they were refused to even be seen. They were shut down, and not allowed to speak. The strike was a very last resort.

I went to the vacuum store to pick up my vacuum, but it wasn't fixed yet.  The owner said that the box containing the parts to fix my vacuum was the one on the floor, newly arrived.  I want my vacuum already.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

DD13 asked me to get down the Dirt Devil today so she could vacuum the stairs with it while I was out visiting my Dad.   :001_wub:   She knows I hate the loud, high-pitched sound it makes, so she did that task when she knew I would be gone.  She had trouble with it, however, and I recalled the $30 I spent recently on a cheapy stick vacuum for Dad's place that was just a dust buster with a handle to clip on one end and a rug brush to shove on the other.  I think I might go get another one of those for doing stairs and upholstery at our house.  Then I could get rid of the screaming Dirt Devil.

• Like 5

Clearly that lady doesn't know much about dogs.  She doesn't know the love she's missing.

• Like 5

(((Juliet)))

My brother's dog is a Rott-Black Lab.  She is beautiful, smart, and gentle.  :)

Give Juliet a hug from me.  I would do it myself, but I'm allergic to dogs.  That, and I'm on the other side of the country. ;)

I knew some people that lived up a canyon who also had a Rott-black lab.  That dog saved the kids more than once from predator wildlife.

One of the sweetest dogs I ever knew was a Rott.  It tore me up that such a sweet dog was owned by a gal who was trying to get him to be mean and fearsome.  She got reported for animal abuse and the dog was taken away.

• Like 2