Menu

Ignore this thread!

The boys have Engineering Disasters on in the front room. I'm thinking of going to change the laundry and get my second cup of tea, then getting out my paint and having a good time, but DH is due back any moment with groceries. Do I go get tea and try to start painting? Or do I go get tea and then sit down and amuse myself with disasters until it's time to unload the truck?

I'd wait on tea until groceries have been put away.  But, <sticking my nose in> I don't think you should help unload the truck.  

• Like 3

I'd wait on tea until groceries have been put away.  But, <sticking my nose in> I don't think you should help unload the truck.  

I shouldn't, but I'll have to help with half the work force down and out. Then I'll change my bandage and settle down for a while. I will carry only the lightweight things and put away more than I do any carrying.

• Like 3

Anyway. Sick kids, no choich.

Bookie (bookie bo bookie, banana fana fo fookie, me my mo mookie, BOOKIE!) I have mentioned before how I've been doing the intermittent fasting thing which means that I don't eat until like 1 in the afternoon. I like it for multiple reasons. 1. I don't have to eat breakfast. Eating anything is difficult for me because I have food allergies and my stomach doesn't like food in it. I much prefer drinking but one can only have so many smoothies. 2. As a hypoglycemic, not eating in the morning means no insulin reaction which means that I feel better than if I'd eaten. 3. Eating less makes me pickier about what I'm willing to eat. After not eating all day I'm not going to have pizza and cookies, I'm going to have a salad with some chicken! And since I didn't eat breakfast I can afford that. My chiropractor told me about intermittent fasting and told me to read The Obesity Code. I only read the chapter on how to do it but I need to read the whole thing. I just wanted to share because I think it helps with my productivity.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

I’m no success story in those areas, but the most helpful principle I’ve come across is, “If a job is worth doing, it’s worth doing badly.†So if you have to stop exercising after ten minutes bc the kids are revolting, don’t think “what the heck is the point?!†Think “yay for me, I exercised ten minutes!â€

Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

I struggle with that daily. I am improving.

• Like 3

Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

I struggle with that daily. I am improving.

I need to put that on my refrigerator. I’m one of those people who think, “ if it’s not an A it’s an Fâ€. I’ve been working on that mindset for years now, it’s very hard to overcome.

Oddly enough, it is only my own self that I hold to this standard. I give a lot of leeway to others.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Dh built some shelves yesterday and ds got to “help.†He was so excited he wouldn’t come in the house for a snack all afternoon and then he ate 3.5 bowls of soup for dinner! :wub:

:001_wub: I love, love, love that sweet baby age!  :001_wub:

One DD here took to snipping clothing before she started on hair.  I have a shirt from her preschool days that would be advant guarde (sp?) fashion slashing even now.

I found quite a few cut up clothes in DD's closet last weekend. She has apparently not outgrown her scissor obsession! When she was about 3 or 4 and in trouble again for cutting something, she sobbed, "But. I...just..love (sob sob) to cut! I need to cut things!" Maybe she'll be a stylist.

I dream of nice, deep claw-foot enameled cast iron bathtubs....

My grandmother had one. It was really hard to get in and out of as a small child and for her when she became frail. And cleaning it was a chore because we had to clean the entire surface inside and outside to keep it pretty. They're nice at times, but I'd rather have a zero entry huge shower with seats and multiple shower heads!

Do green beans count as beans?  I like green beans.  More mature beans, not so much.

I don't know why, but I think they are classified as vegetables in this doctor's book. English peas are in the beans category, and sugar snap peas (which I prefer) are also in the vegetable category. 

• Like 4

We all went to first service this morning, but as the service progressed I saw DS getting droopier and droopier. So, I brought him home after church and left the others at Sunday School. I thOught about going back to Sunday School myself, but I decided not to. I don’t know why, I prefer to be there with DH and he is camping this weekend with the Scouts.

• Like 3

My weight swung up a couple of pounds like it always does when I am in pain (inflammation?) but the high is a little bit lower than the high has been so I guess I won’t quit trying to manage my bloodsugar and food intake. (Since I totally want to quit and eat whatever I want whenever I want).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ed po warning.  points for quoting self....

Ed po warning....

So, I thought I had a plan for 14yo dd's history and english to finish out the year, but now I'm second guessing it.  <sigh>  I don't even know if I can explain all the options in my head in a sensible enough way for y'all to help me.  English is my bigger question mark.  She's interested in OYAN, which I was going to let be an elective, but could be part of her English credit depending on what else we do.  (I kind of hate for her to start on it mid year, on the other hand, she's interested in it, so that's a plus.)  Dh is interested in her doing test prep on Kahn, so if she did that for the English related sections, that could be part of her credit.  (She's not testing ANY time soon, so we could put that off til next year.)  I was going to use a resource to cover the Research Paper in 10 steps (taking 8-10 weeks), but I'm now super excited about it.  IF we used EIW next year I think it would cover the research paper, so why take the time to do it now.  She read plenty of literature in the fall, so we could either be done with literature, or do a little and either way, it would be fine.  I just finished reading the Reader's Odyssey and really liked it, so maybe we could start implementing it lightly this spring.  

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

So, I think I have decided to just let OYAN be her english for spring semester - and this feels like a really peaceful option to me because 1) only doing one thing for english instead of multiple things, 2) it gives her fewer classes overall (instead of doing OYAN as an elective) 3) she can do it mostly without me 4) plus she's interested in doing it.

Everyone take a deep breath with me and let it out.  Doesn't that feel better?   

• Like 7

Getting up is for the birds. I’d rather be a burrowing Animal today and burrow into my covers but (grumble, grumble) I’m up.

I did not sleep well last night and fell back asleep after 8  because I was dawdling in bed.  I'm up and moving, getting stuff done, but I didn't want to.

Looks like DD16 and I might encounter some gusty winds and maybe some precipitation (in various states of frozenness) tomorrow.  We will drive carefully.  Eastern route again (sorry, Renai).

• Like 3

I've been trying to change my diet in the new year. It's not an eat less crap focused diet but an eat more good stuff focused diet. I'm eating less crap by default because I'm so busy stuffing my face with good stuff and too full for crap. Although I still want the crap. Doughnuts are calling me all the way from the doughnut shop- "We love you. We are languishing here waiting for you..." but that's not the point.

I'm following Dr Gregor's daily dozen so I'm trying to eat all of this daily:

3 servings of beans

1 serving of berries

3 servings of other fruits

1 serving of cruciferous veggies

2 servings greens

2 servings other veggies

1 serving flaxseeds

1 serving nuts

3 servings whole grains

5 servings of beverages (tea/coffee/water for me)

It's so much. My digestive system is begging for mercy but I'm a cold turkey kind of person. It's like all I do all day is eat, eat, eat trying to fit it all in.

You're also supposed to exercise daily, so I'm trying to walk my fat little doggy myself more often. She needs the exercise too but it's cold outside!

Dr Gregor advocates a vegan diet, but I'm adding meat and dairy in little bits back in after my milk supply tanked. It may not be related but I can't take the chance when the milk came back when the meat and dairy came back.

It's been about 10 days and other than predictable tummy issues, I have remarkably increased energy. It's almost too much energy because Baby won't sleep without me and instead of napping with him, I'm sitting with my eyes wide open laying still while he naps!

New Year/New Diet Booya!

Ok, I wrote this down. Now, I will ponder it.

Our back deck is the happenin' place for our feathered friends this morning. We can see cardinals, dark-eyed juncos, chickadees, goldfinches, house finches, Carolina wrens, downey woodpecker, mourning doves, red-bellied woodpecker, tufted titmouse, and a squirrel. I expect the nuthatch to show uo pretty soon.

I want to be at your house. We have no birds. I need to get my bird feeders up and running!! Even then, we don’t have very interesting birds. Finches and sparrows, althOugh they are sweet little birds. Edited by KrissiK

The boys have Engineering Disasters on in the front room. I'm thinking of going to change the laundry and get my second cup of tea, then getting out my paint and having a good time, but DH is due back any moment with groceries. Do I go get tea and try to start painting? Or do I go get tea and then sit down and amuse myself with disasters until it's time to unload the truck?

This is twice now that I put a dirty load of laundry into the dryer to try to wash it.   :rolleyes:

I stubbed my toe on a suitcase hidden under the comforter I draped over the banister after pulling it from the dryer.  Yes, I put that suitcase there.

I had to heat the water for my tea THREE times before I remembered to pour some into my cup so my teabag would steep.  The kettle shuts itself off; why won't it pour for me, too?

Despite little distractions interrupting tasks that distracted me from other tasks things are coming together for heading out tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

ed po warning. points for quoting self....

So, I think I have decided to just let OYAN be her english for spring semester - and this feels like a really peaceful option to me because 1) only doing one thing for english instead of multiple things, 2) it gives her fewer classes overall (instead of doing OYAN as an elective) 3) she can do it mostly without me 4) plus she's interested in doing it.

Everyone take a deep breath with me and let it out. Doesn't that feel better?

Yay for good decisions!!
  • Like 1

I did not sleep well last night and fell back asleep after 8 because I was dawdling in bed. I'm up and moving, getting stuff done, but I didn't want to.

Looks like DD16 and I might encounter some gusty winds and maybe some precipitation (in various states of frozenness) tomorrow. We will drive carefully. Eastern route again (sorry, Renai).

Stay off treacherous roads!! Don’t go swimming in the sea.
  • Like 2

I want to be at your house. We have no birds. I need to get my bird feeders up and running!! Even then, we don’t have very interesting birds. Finches and sparrows, althOugh they are sweet little birds.

I would love to have a deck and yard full of bird feeders and birds and squirrels, but we have a cat. And my little dog can be quick too. We'd be setting our house up like a gingerbread house luring in the critters to their doom. :(

• Like 4

How long should a 7yo practice her Ds and As on the violin????

For.ev.er.

Does she only have to practice those two strings? Broccoli got to practice all 4 right off the bat. 5 min/day is probably enough.

Dd15 was describing an activity they did for her government class - they had to pretend they were deserted on an island and had to come up with a way to live with each other. She said they started out OK and then things started going downhill and then they got a bit chaotic and then they ate Joel. 🙀

Did they cover Lord of the Flies in literature class recently?

• Like 2

I would love to have a deck and yard full of bird feeders and birds and squirrels, but we have a cat. And my little dog can be quick too. We'd be setting our house up like a gingerbread house luring in the critters to their doom. :(

We have cats, too, but they don’t go after the birds. They catch mice.🙄 and leave their bloody mangled corpses all over the patio.
  • Like 4

:001_wub: I love, love, love that sweet baby age!  :001_wub:

I found quite a few cut up clothes in DD's closet last weekend. She has apparently not outgrown her scissor obsession! When she was about 3 or 4 and in trouble again for cutting something, she sobbed, "But. I...just..love (sob sob) to cut! I need to cut things!" Maybe she'll be a stylist.

My grandmother had one. It was really hard to get in and out of as a small child and for her when she became frail. And cleaning it was a chore because we had to clean the entire surface inside and outside to keep it pretty. They're nice at times, but I'd rather have a zero entry huge shower with seats and multiple shower heads!

I don't know why, but I think they are classified as vegetables in this doctor's book. English peas are in the beans category, and sugar snap peas (which I prefer) are also in the vegetable category. 

Would your DD be interested in learning how to cut silhouettes?  

My grandpa's bungalow in SD had a claw-foot tub and I loved it.  Definitely tricky getting in and out, but oh, such lovely depth!  A farmhouse I shared with some other gals at one time had a similar deep enameled iron tub, and it was heavenly in the Colorado wintertime.  I agree about the zero-entry shower and want that, too, and most tubs in the house have to be bathing-small-children-friendly, but I would love to have ONE claw-foot tub sometime.

It's the green plant matter, before the starch really develops.  That's likely why certain ones are considered veggies.  I'm not sure I'd actually consume as much legume-wise as he dictates.

My weight swung up a couple of pounds like it always does when I am in pain (inflammation?) but the high is a little bit lower than the high has been so I guess I won’t quit trying to manage my bloodsugar and food intake. (Since I totally want to quit and eat whatever I want whenever I want).

Yay, progress?  Go, Jean, go!

• Like 1

There are four cats (two white, one blank and white and one ginger) who regularly hunt in our yard. They are all unsuccessful but they have a lot of fun trying.

• Like 2

Stay off treacherous roads!! Don’t go swimming in the sea.

Luckily, even though for some reason Colorado does get seagulls there is no sea for me to drive into.  If the roads get tricky we will stop someplace safe.  We can adapt as we need to on this trip.

• Like 1

Such is the case for us with our cat.  We can't even have hummingbird feeders -- she has caught those in flight as they approached the feeders.  The feeders are just chumming stations, so we don't put them out.

DH and I are also contemplating putting up a sprinkler, come springtime, with a motion-activation switch.  MIL has this sort of set-up to try to protect her garden from the deer that jump the fence.  We need to discourage the mockingbirds from nesting right by our driveway and doorways.  

• Like 1

In bean related news, DH and one of my boys said they wanted to eat more beans. I refused to cook them. Every time I have made beans in the past, everyone eats about a cup of beans and I end up throwing out the pot nine days old. We compromised and I said they could get canned beans and see how that goes.

Make enough for one cup per person, and that's it. Canned beans taste like can. If they do get canned, at least rinse them well, put in a pot with sauteed onion and garlic, and add broth for the liquid.

• Like 1

We have funny dogs. They'll sit there and watch the birds eat their dog food...Although, the younger one will sometimes get a gumption to chase something, but it's not often (unless it's the neighbor's cat). Our cats are indoors.

• Like 1

i was going to say tea and disaster amusement, but the moment has already past.

• Like 1

Make enough for one cup per person, and that's it. Canned beans taste like can. If they do get canned, at least rinse them well, put in a pot with sauteed onion and garlic, and add broth for the liquid.

Also, you can freeze beans. Yes. You can cook them, then when you are done, set some aside on a sheet pan in a single layer (like you'd freeze berries). Then put them in a ziploc bag.

That way you don't have to toss them and you can still cook in bulk.

#idontdothisanymore #workingishard #somedayimmabeanawesomehippiegranny #youcanjustcookcannedbeansinsalsaorchickenbrothafterdrainingandrinsing #maybeillhomeschoolthegrankidsifmykidsarestillspeakingtome

• Like 2

He's inexperienced.  He'll get caught lacking sometime, and then he'll learn.

People behind us in the grocery line probably think we have a survivalist bunker somewhere.

We don't.  We just really really really dislike food shopping for our family of seven, and go as infrequently as possible!  It usually involves two carts.  :leaving:  

• Like 5

I dream of nice, deep claw-foot enameled cast iron bathtubs....

So do I!  But I'm told by someone who had one as a kid that mopping out the water and dust from under them is a nightmare. 

True?  Anyone have one?  

Because I do not want to kill my Pinterest-Inspired-Clawfoot-Tub-Dream unless I really have to. 

Small amounts of chopped dill pickle are my solution to cutting out salad dressing.  Just watch out for the sodium levels.

And when I closely examined the snacks that I crave (chips, salted peanuts, chocolate in all its forms), I realized that all I really want is chocolate and salt.  So a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips with a sprinkling of sea salt flakes takes me through the day with minimal calories and sugar content. If my phone tells me I have any calories left at the end of day, I may have a second tablespoon.   :drool5:

• Like 3