Menu

Ignore this thread!

I still have to eat a cup of greens. Bleh. 

But I was happy to remember that peas count as beans. Thank goodness, because I couldn't take more bean beans and lentils take too much effort. 

DS said he was inspired by me to eat more fruit, so he ate 5 oranges! That wasn't what I was going for!   :willy_nilly:

• Like 9

Sometimes I like to imagine myself as a multi-millionaire.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Well if you are choosing a home based on a fancy bathtub... you're kind of living the dream.

When we bought a house, we were very excited to learn that they had a roof built less than 20 years ago. We waived the inspection and had to clean out their stuff and our friends told us we were super lucky!

We could definitely live further out but we grew up here. Never wish a boomtown on your home city. It is just plain insanity. 

• Like 4

(((Bookie))) 

You're doing an amazing job navigating a situation that is extraordinarily hard.  Even if you don't feel like you are.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  and prayers as you try to find a solution that works well for everyone.  

(FWIW - I couldn't work outside the house with 4 young children.  The results would be horrid for everyone, and since my background is teaching, I wouldn't be paid enough to make it worth it.  But I did work in the house early on, tutoring other homeschooled children alongside mine, and i have a niece who provides daycare for a friend's baby along with her own four young homeschooled boys.  Perhaps something along those lines would fit with your own goals for your family and still bring in a little extra income?  )

• Like 6

Can you put salad dressing on said greens??

Sure. I'm only focusing on what I should eat and not so much on avoiding anything for reasons other than the loss of the opportunity to eat something on the list instead. But I was tired and just ate the pile of sadness with my fingers. When I measured the serving size it was surprisingly small. I may have had more than enough for 2 servings in the salad I had for lunch. So I got 3 greens today! Can I carry one over for tomorrow? 

• Like 5

Agreed. But even if they ask, I promise that more technical details does not make them more curious. On the contrary, for the little one who just kept asking specific questions, I got more and more detailed, to my chagrin but I tried to remain cool about it.

You start with general words and go deeper (pardon the pun) as they ask. In my experience they will shut it down if they are not ready.

Yep. This is also my experience. The point is, it not necessary to go deep or specific if they they are not asking. Sometimes simple is enough. Also, getting more specific can still be as simple as "being touched." There are many things that can be said to a child that does not involve sex *if you think the child is not ready to hear it.* If the child is not ready, I don't care how more or less curious they will be, they won't get the technical details.

• Like 1

Someday we are going to live in a low COL area and we are going to have some kind of living situation in which we can actually consider houses based on fixtures.

Whenever Texans describe house shopping I imagine them as multi-millionaires. Then I remember... our real estate market is a hot mess.

We are going to get a nice tub on Craigslist and install it ourselves.

I know, right? I think of the price my parents paid for their house and land in Central Texas, then try to think what that same amount would buy here. It wouldn't be much. Many uber-rich come here to buy and has driven the prices up so much that generational families can't afford to live in ancestral homes anymore. You know how much a person makes by whether they live on the Northside or Southside, but Santa Fe is very high COL.

• Like 2

But I was happy to remember that peas count as beans. Thank goodness, because I couldn't take more bean beans and lentils take too much effort. 

DS said he was inspired by me to eat more fruit, so he ate 5 oranges! That wasn't what I was going for!   :willy_nilly:

Can you put salad dressing on said greens??

My fave is mixing olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a dash of salt and oregano. If you can, add a little parmesan cheese to it, but that's optional.

• Like 2

I know, right? I think of the price my parents paid for their house and land in Central Texas, then try to think what that same amount would buy here. It wouldn't be much. Many uber-rich come here to buy and has driven the prices up so much that generational families can't afford to live in ancestral homes anymore. You know how much a person makes by whether they live on the Northside or Southside, but Santa Fe is very high COL.

Now imagine adding like 30% to that... D:

Santa Fe is beautiful. Too beautiful for money. 

• Like 2

Now imagine adding like 30% to that... D:

Santa Fe is beautiful. Too beautiful for money. 

All the money belongs to a small percentage that drives up the prices of everything for everyone else. But, it's a tourist town, and it attracts rich people, so it's all good.

I can't imagine, nay, I prefer not to imagine. I will continue to imagine my move to Texas, where things are cheap and I'll be able to move ahead in my life.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

Good morning!

Jean's floor is vacuumed, therefore she exists! Ha!

We bought our house when the housing market had bottomed out. It was unintentional good timing. Our county has a relatively low COL with a good job market/economy.

'Tis cold outside.

We have church this morning and various things to do this afternoon.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Turtles are sick. I'm less painful this morning than I was yesterday afternoon. I also stink and I really, really, really want a shower, but will settle for washed hair and a half-bath. We woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground. Very pretty.

Today will probably be spent writing and/or painting. But I committed to washing my sheets today, too.

• Like 4

California has a very high COL, but even then, it’s relative. Poverty is very high where we live. We live in the “nicest†subdivision in our town, yet our house is barely over 2,000 sq.ft., and is just a regular 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. Friends of ours sold their tract home in our town last fall and bought with cash a very nice home with an acre of land in N. Carolina, but if we sold our home and tried to buy in the Bay Area, we might be able to put 50% (if that) down on a house half our size with what we sold our house for.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, wouldn't it be easier to change:

1) I need to get up earlier---I will get up ten minutes earlier this week. (You can tell that's not on my list of to-do!)

2)I need to eat better---I will replace my usual lunch today with smaller portions (or eat a salad, or some nuts and cheese or whatever is more in line with your goals)

3) I need to exercise more---I will jog down my driveway today (or do an exercise video, or some pushups, or jump rope or go for a walk--whatever is doable and won't leave you feeling dead at the end)

It's so easy to get hung up on the "shoulds" and then beat yourself up because there's not a reachable goal at the end of the statement. Also, it allows you to check your goals every day. Are you overreaching? You can back off. If you think you can do more, then you can try that, too. The next day.

• Like 7

Dd7 has a cold, so our trip to visit my newborn niece would have been cancelled even if we had had beautiful weather.

I am watching First Church of the Livestream this morning so that I can stay home with her and keep our germs to ourselves.

Dh and I usually take turns staying home.  I usually prefer to go in the evening so that I don't miss choir practice.  This ended up fortuitous today since I didn't get to sleep until after 5:30.  

• Like 2

The guy at Trader Joe's looked at me like I was a prepper for buying three days worth of canned food which I purchased to replenish our emergency rations. I know we won't likely survive a missile attack, but it reminded me of other emergencies.

He didn't know I also bought emergency backpacks and water containers (old ones were recycled after the last camping trip) on Amazon.

Don't care, the CDC says to do it so I'm being a responsible adult. 

He's inexperienced.  He'll get caught lacking sometime, and then he'll learn.

In my house it wasn't a matter of if or when but how often. This one kid, she loved the scissors, but they all did it at least a couple times.

One DD here took to snipping clothing before she started on hair.  I have a shirt from her preschool days that would be advant guarde (sp?) fashion slashing even now.

• Like 2

That was the one thing I wanted when we were house shopping: a tub that was high enough to submerge my bOOks and my knees at the same time.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I dream of nice, deep claw-foot enameled cast iron bathtubs....

:svengo:  Yep, I've had one of those too (in my daycare). We had to be very very vigilant. 

And, I ran out of likes.

Our scissor-happy DD here wasn't allowed scissors unless the teacher or an aide were working with her directly.

• Like 3

Do green beans count as beans?  I like green beans.  More mature beans, not so much.

In bean related news, DH and one of my boys said they wanted to eat more beans. I refused to cook them. Every time I have made beans in the past, everyone eats about a cup of beans and I end up throwing out the pot nine days old. We compromised and I said they could get canned beans and see how that goes.

• Like 3

I napped. Hopefully I can now be coherent.

Teenage Turtle 1 is still sick and feverish. Teenage Turtle 2 came in from chores looking weepy. His head hurts and his throat is sore. DH is still in the land of the living but tired. I made my own dinner and Teenage Turtle 1 some toast.

:grouphug: Poor Turtles!

Is your name Sue? I have an Aunt Sue. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

No, I have an SIL Sue.  A very petite SIL.  The only family member shorter than her is our 4-year-old nephew.  She's got a LOT of presence, though, so you don't notice (most of the time).

Sueya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 6

We have decided on the hawk solution. The fence we have will come down to make way for a large, tall, enclosed aviary for the spoiled brat birds. While the new aviary is being built, the birds will either stay in their house, come out on grass with supervision, and use the smaller enclosed pen I have for the "sick pen". It's about 8ft by 8 ft, so not huge, but combined with the 10ft by 10 ft house, it should be adequate for exercise and dirt bathing. It's tall, and I can put perches in for the flying birds. Might be summer before we get it built.

• Like 4

"An unsavory woman who spends time with men for money." It was the shortest, safest answer on a moment's notice.

Why is the woman the only unsavory one in your definition?

A woman, who due to the unequal pay situation in this country, is destitute enough to have sex with unsavory men for money.

There, I feel better now.

• Like 3

Warning: Very Sad and Serious Lectury Post

I use the prostitution discussion to point out, depressingly, that while some people sell sex voluntarily, most prostitutes around the world are also slaves, and when they aren't slaves per se, often they are addicted to drugs and unable to get the medical care they need to heal their minds and bodies.

Many of them were abused as children.

It's a super harsh way to introduce the topic but (a) all of a sudden the whole stranger conversation becomes a lot more real and (b) it's the truth. The vast majority of people who feed themselves by selling sex were abused as children, were often orphans, and/or have been sold into slavery outright or are effectively wage slaves who cannot escape.

Extremely few prostitutes sell sex because they enjoy the occupation, and even those who do are so rare that I'd almost say it's a kind of kink (sorry SWB) rather than a career choice.

So I would object to "unsavory" description.

Okay, you said it better. :)

And why did my post post partially before I was done? Weird.

• Like 1

The boys have Engineering Disasters on in the front room. I'm thinking of going to change the laundry and get my second cup of tea, then getting out my paint and having a good time, but DH is due back any moment with groceries. Do I go get tea and try to start painting? Or do I go get tea and then sit down and amuse myself with disasters until it's time to unload the truck?

• Like 2