Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good heavens! They are REALLY doing it? As in FOR REAL??

Please have them read up on the guy who burned down half of Cohoes, NY a few weeks back.

Yes, for real. This part is not dangerous. College Buddy was freaking out about me allowing them to take apart a microwave until I pointed out that the microwave wasn’t even plugged in.

The dangerous part is later when “lightning†is used to make the fractal pattern. It will be done outside on concrete with nothing flammable nearby. It will be done with the left hand in the pocket- an electrician’s trick to avoid making a complete circuit across the heart to protect from electrocution. And mama will have 9-1-1 on speed dial.

• Like 6

Yes, for real. This part is not dangerous. College Buddy was freaking out about me allowing them to take apart a microwave until I pointed out that the microwave wasn’t even plugged in.

The dangerous part is later when “lightning†is used to make the fractal pattern. It will be done outside on concrete with nothing flammable nearby. It will be done with the left hand in the pocket- an electrician’s trick to avoid making a complete circuit across the heart to protect from electrocution. And mama will have 9-1-1 on speed dial.

You get Coolest Mom on the Block award for this.  

I won't even let mine light Advent candles.  

• Like 5

You get Coolest Mom on the Block award for this.

I won't even let mine light Advent candles.

College Buddy is amazed that I even let them take apart a microwave. His mom is apparently a bit of a Tiger Mom and doesn’t “let†him do much even at age 20. He said, “the microwave won’t be able to be put back together. “. “Yes. That’s why we bought one for $15 on Craigslist. “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

College Buddy is amazed that I even let them take apart a microwave. His mom is apparently a bit of a Tiger Mom and doesn’t “let†him do much even at age 20. He said, “the microwave won’t be able to be put back together. “. “Yes. That’s why we bought one for $15 on Craigslist. “.

Not sure that counts as Tiger Mom. Probably Helicopter Mom. Tiger Mom would probably push the kid to get into MIT if the kid wants to take apart microwaves. 

I know.  But when it gets that cold outside, I feel cold inside (like in my bones), even if the house itself is warm.

Luckily, that's normally not an issue for me. 

• Like 3

And in all of this cold weather talk, I am glad that scarves are fashionable.  And now that I have several, I will continue to wear them even if they become unfashionable.  :)

This reminds me that I remembered the other day that I've never crocheted a scarf for Gymnast. I need to get on that; I have plenty of time to have it done by Christmas.

• Like 5

I waited too long to buy Broccoli snow boots. DW looked at Walmart yesterday, and didn't find any to their liking (I think she said that maybe there were pink ones? not sure). I tried Target today, nothing in his size, and then at Payless they only had Frozen. So, Frozen it is. Because I'm not going anywhere else. 

• Like 2

Isn't that what towels are for? 

No! Tea towels are for clean hands and dishes only. Dirty hands and stuff should be wiped on single use towels or washable ones that are immediately set aside to be washed. Because germs.

But nobody in my family cooperates. 

• Like 5

When he was 2 he had pink Hello Kitty ones, because he wanted pink Hello Kitty snow boots. Why do kids eventually get the memo that pink and Elsa and Anna and all of that stuff is for girls? (these are blue, btw, and the zipper is hard to pull up, but I.don't.care... it's too late in the season for me to go running around trying more stores)

Someone spilled their drink all over the inside of his coat while he was playing soccer. With the weather I mentioned above. I made him wait inside while I got the car right in front of the exit. Had to honk twice for him to notice me... kid's been so spacey lately. That can't be that preteen spaciness yet, can it? He's 10.25, and 4'3" or so, and is just so not a preteen yet. 

• Like 1

Thank you!

As far as I can tell, what WWS is focusing on is the tools for a descriptive essay, so scientific processes, historical narratives, biographies, literary criticism, research papers. It seems very oriented to preparing you for college. It really is excellent, but it is definitely hard and not really “fun.†I’m not sure why she doesn’t do persuasive essays. Maybe she thinks it ought to be saved for the rhetoric stage and she hasn’t written that program yet?

I’m not sure if LToW would be a relief and maybe fun or if she’d be driven absolutely nuts by the pace. I’ve seen the online sample where they’re doing the ANI chart looking for things in common between two characters and coming up with things like “they’re boys, they have families†and I can see her being totally bored and frustrated by something like that. Those types of discussions are probably easier to stomach in a group setting, but it’ll just be thw two of us. And then I think of how expensive and teacher intensive it’s supposed to be and wonder if I’m not better off picking up a cheap copy of The Lively Art of Writing and making up my own assignments. Dither dither wafflywaffle.

I totally understand what you're saying.  I know a couple people who LOVE the 5 common topics and use them in all sorts of ways, but usually I'm kinda like "so what?"  So I'm glad I'm not the one introducing all this to ds.  I try to remind myself that they are tools and sometimes they're helpful and sometime they're not.  (I also sometimes struggle a bit with the should question .... the more rigid side of my brain says "of course so-and-so should have done xyz because that's the way the book was written and this is how it turned out....)  

Thanks for summing up WWS - that's really helpful!  

I have to figure out something to use with 14yo dd for writing this spring.  At this point my main concern is what I'm capable of implementing without flaking out over the parts I don't love/get.  That might be EIW dvds, lol.  

I'm up. Must have caffeine. I was in the middle of working on query stuff when I went to bed, and I kept getting up to go write something down if words came together properly. 

Going to work some more this morning, and then I need to go watercolor.

You need a mini recorder so you can stop getting up. Or, just keep it on. You might talk in your sleep... :lol:

• Like 6

I'm dying of insomnia.

:grouphug: I'm sorry, but that's not allowed.

It galls me that I can't nap. I wouldn't mind being up at all hours of the night if I could count on being able to crawl under the covers around one in the afternoon for a nice two hour nap. But I've never been able to nap. Flunked out back in kindergarten.

• Like 6

People here are wearing ugly Christmas sweaters today.  :willy_nilly:  But they didn't stop there, oh, no.  They are also decked out in blinking lights and holiday headbands that bounce around on their heads.  One has a plastic tree skirt wrapped around her waist.

I am officially a Grinch.  Because :eek: and :ack2:.

One person in their department is not dressed is such a manner.  I asked her why?  She looked at me, blinked, and then said in a straight deadpan, "I have chosen not to participate."  I told here I knew there was a reason I liked her.  :wub:  

• Like 10

People here are wearing ugly Christmas sweaters today. :willy_nilly: But they didn't stop there, oh, no. They are also decked out in blinking lights and holiday headbands that bounce around on their heads. One has a plastic tree skirt wrapped around her waist.

I am officially a Grinch. Because :eek: and :ack2:.

One person in their department is not dressed is such a manner. I asked her why? She looked at me, blinked, and then said in a straight deadpan, "I have chosen not to participate." I told here I knew there was a reason I liked her. :wub:

I am so like that, too. Last night was pajama night at Awana. I wore regular clothes. I hate doing stuff like that. I don’t know why.

Ooh, I got a Booya/h. A Non-Participatory Booya/h!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

I think we should institute ITT Spirit Days. We could do ugly Christmas sweaters in May, crazy hair day in September, and pajama day whatever ol' day we want! And whenever anyone asks what in tarnation we're up to, we can blame it on our invisible friends.

I have no problem doing Spirit days when everyone is doing them, at an appropriate time.  One girl is sitting in a meeting with a client wearing her blinking lights and headband.  No.  Just no.  It's just their department.  No one else was invited or encouraged to dress up today.  They look ridiculous.

• Like 4

I think we should institute ITT Spirit Days. We could do ugly Christmas sweaters in May, crazy hair day in September, and pajama day whatever ol' day we want! And whenever anyone asks what in tarnation we're up to, we can blame it on our invisible friends.

*imaginary friends

• Like 1