Menu

Ignore this thread!

Sigh. I still haven't managed to finish my mug of coffee from this morning.

In other eclipse news, a friend went to a lecture by an astronomy/eclipse expert recently, and he said that the TN emergency management agency is preparing for the eclipse as though it were an impending natural disaster. Every state trooper on the payroll will be on duty. Because people who have no idea what is happening will be driving along the interstate and then everything will go suddenly dark and even just a handful of wrecks with up to 1 million extra people in the area could make for a very rough day.

Fortunately, we will be two hours away (almost) in the middle of nowhere. :)

• Like 5

Hey all! 

Can I get your input for a minute? 

We go to a rather large church and Sunday School is pretty big and VERY active - a skit, lots of music, then it slows down for a devotional. THEN, the kids split up into smaller groups and go back to a classroom to practice the memory verse and play a game, etc. 
I'm observing Riv for the next few weeks. This past Sunday I watched her and I noticed that she was being overstimulated. She handled it very well, but I am clued in enough that I notice the signs, whereas the teachers usually don't. 
By the time she gets to the classroom, she is decompressing. She was rolling on the floor, doing "snow angels", and rolling herself up into a burrito with the circular carpet they have for each kid. 

She likes the music and skit from the group time. She was very engaged. So, I don't necessarily want to take her out of Sunday school. But, she's very unfocused and active during the devotional/kid sermon and really unfocused and hyperactive during the class time. 

When it was mentioned just as an afterthought in another group, I was told that we needed to find a new church. That's not on option as Dh and I know this is where we are supposed to be. 

So, I'm thinking of some noise-canceling headphones and a fidget toy for her, but I'm also thinking that I might just pick her up when the group time is over. (The classroom time is only 15-20 minutes. Not long at all.) 

Opinions? What would you do if your kiddo was very ADHD and just couldn't handle Sunday school? 

• Like 1

It is Korean because the letters are Korean. I can't read it but I can recognize it!

I agree. And I think Korean is the only language written with the Korean script, so that makes it really easy. Whereas I can recognize the Arabic script as well, but I wouldn't be able to tell you whether it's Arabic or Urdu or w/e (I don't think). 

But but but -- my birthday is in August....   :crying:

:grouphug:  Jean tried to skip over my birthday into August a few weeks ago. I told her it was not allowed to be August until after my birthday. So, you just need to put your foot down (like this:  :toetap05: ) and say your birthday is mandatory. 

• Like 4

Oh, and Dancer was working the lights. The faster pit lights were to show fire.

I thought Dancer was Rahab.  Ooops.

Now I have to go re-watch the video to see Dancer's awesome lights!

Ds16 did lights for a recent play that he and dd14 were involved in.  Also, I did lights when I was in high school.  I was sometimes called The Light Goddess.  (It was a public school.)

• Like 3

Latin is done for the day. Geometry next. Tell me to quit worrying about the writing contest. It's only two days in. Each mentor got over 150 submissions. Just because I haven't had any news yet doesn't mean a thing...

I'd probably be more concerned if I'd already gotten feedback, wondering how fast of a speed-reading that was (okay, it could just be that yours was on the top of the pile, but still).

It is also important, too, to memorize each family member's phone number -- don't always count on being able to look up the number on your own phone (which is a problem if your battery is dead, your phone broken or malfunctioning (as my iphone once did), or it is lost or stolen).  I just now sheepishly realized that while everyone has memorized DH's and my phone numbers none of us have memorized either kid's number -- not even the kids themselves.  This has now been assigned for us all.

DW's and my phone numbers are almost the same... which seems to lead to confusion, so the kids have only DW's memorized. I'd rather have them really know 1, than mess up both of them. They don't have phones, so there's nothing to memorize there. I know mine and DW's (since I keep having to write both of them a million times on camp etc forms, sigh). Maybe I should have the DCs fill out the camp forms, so they can have them all memorized. I am wondering at what point to take the risk and make them memorize both. It's rare that they'd have to call me, since if I leave Celery home alone I either take my phone so he has zero phones, or I leave my phone and he'd obviously have no need to call my phone. 

They also know our address, I checked that yesterday (plus how to spell the street name, since it's uncommon and most people mishear it for some much more common name). 

I wonder what your story looks like with no c and d letters?

I'm trying to imagine what your story looks like with neither _ or _ letters. 

Actually the cases are supposedly based upon real-life cases, and while quite Hollywood-ized they are also tamed down from reality.  This is the part that really messes with my mind -- that people actually could do such things.

Huh. I mean, it's not like the put "based on true events" on it, so, I'm not convinced. Stuff that has "based on true events" on it tends to deviate quite a lot from reality already, so I'd imagine that this is more someone read about a bunch of true crime and just inspiredly writing a bunch of fiction. But w/e. I know that there are some really messed up serial killers etc out there. Not a big fan of this most recent season thus far... it just doesn't seem as good; more far-fetched, I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if I should write stuff like that, because my mind can come up with pretty twisted scenarios, but I don't know. Not convinced it'd be good for my mental health to try to make a living writing stuff like that. 

Seems to be working better now, but the stickiness has migrated to the f key for the time being.

I wonder what your story looks like with no c and d letters?

Okay, I don't see an f there, so that's a vast improvement. 

• Like 1

Hey all! 

We go to a rather large church and Sunday School is pretty big and VERY active - a skit, lots of music, then it slows down for a devotional. THEN, the kids split up into smaller groups and go back to a classroom to practice the memory verse and play a game, etc. 

I'm observing Riv for the next few weeks. This past Sunday I watched her and I noticed that she was being overstimulated. She handled it very well, but I am clued in enough that I notice the signs, whereas the teachers usually don't. 

By the time she gets to the classroom, she is decompressing. She was rolling on the floor, doing "snow angels", and rolling herself up into a burrito with the circular carpet they have for each kid. 

She likes the music and skit from the group time. She was very engaged. So, I don't necessarily want to take her out of Sunday school. But, she's very unfocused and active during the devotional/kid sermon and really unfocused and hyperactive during the class time. 

When it was mentioned just as an afterthought in another group, I was told that we needed to find a new church. That's not on option as Dh and I know this is where we are supposed to be. 

So, I'm thinking of some noise-canceling headphones and a fidget toy for her, but I'm also thinking that I might just pick her up when the group time is over. (The classroom time is only 15-20 minutes. Not long at all.) 

Opinions? What would you do if your kiddo was very ADHD and just couldn't handle Sunday school? 

Pick her up when the group time is over. 

• Like 3

Hopefully, it isn't true. If it is, that doesn't bode well.

It was about some points system where you'd need 30 points, which you could get by having a combination of various things. Like, I'd get some points for my age and for my awesome Inglés skilz, and one point for my high school diploma, but that would add up to only 19, iirc... So, anybody who's willing to give me a Nobel prize (25 points) or an Olympic medal (15 points iirc), or some college degree, those would also be appreciated. Or lots of money. Like, at least $1.3M, iirc.  

Again, unreliable source, about (maybe) proposed plan, that would probably have exemptions for people like me if it's true and passes and all that kind of stuff. I just thought it'd be fun to ask someone to offer me a job paying 3x median wage (could get points for 1.5x or 2x median wage as well, but nowhere near enough points). 

Wait...NOT jumping from sofa to sofa is a thing?  I thought it came standard on all models.

We only have one sofa (which we call a couch), so that solves the jumping from sofa to sofa problem. It does not solve the jumping problem. 

• Like 4

Hey all! 

Those are all ringing sensory bells for me, not ADHD. (My kids have both.)  I would give her a lot of sensory input BEFORE church, let her attend the music and skit portion, bring a calming thing for devotional, and keep her out of class time for a bit and see how she does.  It's hard to get a kid ramped up and then have her transition to attending appropriately when she doesn't have the self-regulation skills to tune things back down yet.

• Like 4

Coffee!

Then visit the Blood-Sucking Nurse and offer her my fifth-born child.

Then pick up my freshly-minted school planner (in two volumes this year!) from Staples.

Then a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store next door to Staples.

Then my free Second Coffee from the Coffee Shop.

Then caulk from the hardware store. The GE Silicone kind.

Then clean up the last few piles left in the school room.  

I'm ignoring the piles and finishing yesterday's to-do item (sticking velcro on chore-tags) while watching a video on how to get stuff done.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 2

Those are all ringing sensory bells for me, not ADHD. (My kids have both.)  I would give her a lot of sensory input BEFORE church, let her attend the music and skit portion, bring a calming thing for devotional, and keep her out of class time for a bit and see how she does.  It's hard to get a kid ramped up and then have her transition to attending appropriately when she doesn't have the self-regulation skills to tune things back down yet.

Yeah, I should have said that - that's what I was thinking and what my sister (whose sons is SPD) and my mom all thing. I'm just used to saying ADHD, instead of SPD.

She does have a lot of sensory issues as well. We're actually going to meet with the OT this week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the sensory aspect of the testing showed. 

Honestly, I've wondered if she doesn't have ADHD, but rather SPD and APD (auditory processing disorder) and portions of it are just showing as ADHD. It's hard to have a diagnosis undone, but it would be interesting to see how she tests again later on. 

• Like 3

ETA: Reported!

And the year's before.  

:laugh:

We ended up just listening to SOTW audiobooks from the library to fix that problem. Okay, not really fixed, but anyway... we should get SOTW4 soon, and after that we'll wrap up 1, and then move on to the middle ages (1 was supposed to be the 2015-2016 school year, but we started that with prehistory, so we got only half of it done, and then 2016-2017 just was weird with the trip to NL etc, so we're still not done with 1. But, we finished listening to SOTW1, 2, and 3, and we watched all of Liberty's Kids, so, I'm feeling like we're doing okay... the problem is that I add in too many extra readings for SOTW (and the kids hate narrating/summarizing it, but maybe I'll have Celery write summaries or outlines this year instead, since he's in 5th grade now)).

So, the idea is to listen to SOTW4 before the fall semester starts (assuming we'll get it soon), then wrap up the remaining chapters of SOTW1 in about a month (or two), and then spend 2017-2018 doing the middle ages. Somebody hold me accountable, please (I know, it'd be really easy to have NYS hold me accountable, by writing this stuff on the IHIP, instead of "World History" and "US History", which is what it says on our IHIP... however, since I already submitted the IHIP a couple of months ago, I'm not going to submit a request to change it (not that NYS checks up on anything unless you're on probation, but there's slightly more pressure to do stuff if you know you legally have to do it... which is why I put "Dutch" on our IHIP, even though we don't have to put down a foreign language)). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

ETA: Reported!

We ended up just listening to SOTW audiobooks from the library to fix that problem. Okay, not really fixed, but anyway... we should get SOTW4 soon, and after that we'll wrap up 1, and then move on to the middle ages (1 was supposed to be the 2015-2016 school year, but we started that with prehistory, so we got only half of it done, and then 2016-2017 just was weird with the trip to NL etc, so we're still not done with 1. But, we finished listening to SOTW1, 2, and 3, and we watched all of Liberty's Kids, so, I'm feeling like we're doing okay... the problem is that I add in too many extra readings for SOTW (and the kids hate narrating/summarizing it, but maybe I'll have Celery write summaries or outlines this year instead, since he's in 5th grade now)).

So, the idea is to listen to SOTW4 before the fall semester starts (assuming we'll get it soon), then wrap up the remaining chapters of SOTW1 in about a month (or two), and then spend 2017-2018 doing the middle ages. Somebody hold me accountable, please (I know, it'd be really easy to have NYS hold me accountable, by writing this stuff on the IHIP, instead of "World History" and "US History", which is what it says on our IHIP... however, since I already submitted the IHIP a couple of months ago, I'm not going to submit a request to change it (not that NYS checks up on anything unless you're on probation, but there's slightly more pressure to do stuff if you know you legally have to do it... which is why I put "Dutch" on our IHIP, even though we don't have to put down a foreign language)). 

The audios saved me arse, too.

And since I have a three year-old who won't nap anymore except in the car, and since everyone else loves history, we are doing little napping/history/coffee drives most afternoons this summer.  We have 5 chapters to go in SOTW 3, and then can slow down and do 4 along with CC Cycle 3 this coming year. 

I started doing oral narrations and nothing else to supplement SOTW... the other stuff was holding us back too much.  I'll probably try to do a chunk of timeline book work during Christmas break.  

• Like 1

How old are your children?

16 later this month, 13, 13, and 10. The 13s are the ones starting school. 16yr old was already going b/c he's in a special IT program at the HS that gives him so many free opportunities that we couldn't afford, and 10yr old was going b/c her social needs are high. 

• Like 2

Hey all! 

I'd pick her up when group time is over.  It is what she enjoys and what she can handle.  At least for right now. 

• Like 3

DS(16) today when I asked if he was excited about getting his permit tomorrow:

"I feel like a bird being kicked out of the nest." 

DD (10) walking through a gvmt building: "Are people getting dumber these days? (Me, why?) That sign says "slippery when wet." 

:lol:

• Like 7

I am in a much better place than I was a few hours ago.   :hurray:

When the house gets messy, I feel lousy.  So, we did a quick pick-up -- about 15 minutes for each of the kids and 30 minutes for me.

A bunch of stuff was taken to the basement to be dealt with later.  :)

• Like 8

Pick her up when the group time is over. 

I agree! Let her participate in as much as you think is good for her and then call it a day.

:iagree:

I'm not a big fan of Sunday School, generally, but if you like it, let her do what she can handle for now and then pick her up.  

• Like 4

Or, what about skipping the overstimulating part and showing up for the lesson time?  Whatever works with her ability and your goals.  

(My thoughts are coming really slowly this afternoon....)

But, is over stimulating her a good thing?  I mean I would probably need a padded cell after that much activity.   :leaving:

• Like 2

Or, what about skipping the overstimulating part and showing up for the lesson time?  Whatever works with her ability and your goals.  

The lesson time is during the big group time. The classroom time is more of a lets get the kids into a manageable room to have parents pick up (there's around 50 of just K-1), and then they do a little game and go over the memory verse. 

The way it's organized, she's there for the skit which covers the main theme of the week, then music, then the devotional. (She LOVES the music, so I hate to take her out, even though it's stimulating.) 

She actually does pretty well in there and they say they never have issues with her in there - not any more than other kids. I think it's just in the calm, quiet classroom that she decompresses and it's harder for them to manage her. Which, I totally get after watching her. :) 

• Like 3

The lesson time is during the big group time. The classroom time is more of a lets get the kids into a manageable room to have parents pick up (there's around 50 of just K-1), and then they do a little game and go over the memory verse. 

The way it's organized, she's there for the skit which covers the main theme of the week, then music, then the devotional. (She LOVES the music, so I hate to take her out, even though it's stimulating.) 

She actually does pretty well in there and they say they never have issues with her in there - not any more than other kids. I think it's just in the calm, quiet classroom that she decompresses and it's harder for them to manage her. Which, I totally get after watching her. :)

Sounds good!  (See, I knew I should have re-read your original post instead of projecting my own introverted baggage on the situation.   :laugh: )

• Like 2

Good teeth are hereditary.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA! I brush twice a day, floss once a day (Susan in TN does not), use Listerine, have done all of this since I was like 12 and have roughly 40 fillings. Seriously. And novocaine does not work on me. I feel so bad for dentists that work on kids like me. I used to just lie there crying. They've come a long way with pain management since I was a kid, but back then it was AWFUL!

• Like 3

Sounds good!  (See, I knew I should have re-read your original post instead of projecting my own introverted baggage on the situation.   :laugh: )

I have lots of introverted baggage too. I completely get it. haha If my church didn't do such a great job of making a big church feel small, I'd definitely not be there. 

Two dentist appointments down.

I have beautiful teeth, btw. And good oral hygiene.

Actually, all my oral hygiene consists of is brushing twice a day. Good teeth are hereditary.

Now, taking DS to the doctor.

My teeth suck. :/ 

• Like 2

So, (ed po warning - which you already knew because I started with "so"), this is why I'm not putting in a signature yet.  Day 2 of the 2017-2018 school year and we are already changing math plans for 14yo dd.  sigh.  I don't mind making the change.  I just wish there was a way to fix the whole problem.  Bless her heart.  

• Like 8

Yeah, I should have said that - that's what I was thinking and what my sister (whose sons is SPD) and my mom all thing. I'm just used to saying ADHD, instead of SPD.

She does have a lot of sensory issues as well. We're actually going to meet with the OT this week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the sensory aspect of the testing showed. 

Honestly, I've wondered if she doesn't have ADHD, but rather SPD and APD (auditory processing disorder) and portions of it are just showing as ADHD. It's hard to have a diagnosis undone, but it would be interesting to see how she tests again later on. 

I have one with SPD & APD and one with SPD and ADD-I.  As time marches on, diagnoses will sort themselves out.  You are absolutely correct that there is a ton of overlap (and that generally SPD + attention issues also overlap with ASD).

Can she use words to describe how she feels yet? We found the 5 point scale to be helpful with that.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Dd12 makes some really good gf cheesy biscuits.  She hasn't been feeling well this week.  I guess I'll ask her if she wants to make them and if not they can have plain old buttered bread.

And I know it's the wrong season for the soup, but sometimes cravings don't line up with seasons.   :)  I made the soup last night, but we ended up having subs instead.  So the soup is already made for an easy dinner tonight.

Cheesy biscuit recipe, please?   :bigear:

• Like 1

I went to the river again. I didn't swim this time. Because I was a good little writer and worked on my summary. 

It's not summery here at all. It's cool, and we had drizzle on and off most of the morning. I never saw the sun this afternoon. Came home and it was cool and had been raining. I could deal with this all August, let me tell you! Sadly, I know the reprieve in the weather will be short-lived.

Oooo, so nice!  Argh, I'm out of likes again!

• Like 1

I'm frustrated. Two months waiting while Dd has escalating symptoms for a fifteen minute visit. Dr was nice and knowledgeable and did answer a couple of my questions. But it all hinges on Dd getting an endoscopy and biopsy "sometime in the next two months". And she can't go gluten free until we get results. And results could still be negative. So I am waiting for a call from the scheduling department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

As they say in the Muppet Movie, Don't get 'em mixed up! (A squillion points to the first one to tell what Fozzie must not mix up.)

I got more of the fall calendar cemented--soccer is going to be Wednesdays and Saturdays, scouts second and fourth Tuesdays plus third Fridays. I'm hoping for a Thursday piano slot at the right time to get us to the class at the Y but will accept Mondays if I have to. Homeschool park time is on Tuesdays. We go to the library on Fridays. I don't care so much what the schedule is as long as I can have it completely nailed down as far in advance as possible.

I asked the orthodontist's office for an appointment any time on the day PS opens, but they are going to be closed because nobody ever wants an appointment that day. *sigh*

We will be having Fine Arts Wednesdays, it looks like.  Art classes morning, ceramics afternoon, and music lessons late afternoon.

• Like 7

The doctor was kind of amazed.  I'm guessing that she has seen improvement before, but it is very rare.

One eye improved two "units" on her prescription -- I have no idea what they're really called, but I think you know what I mean.  The other eye improved SIX units!!

Has she been doing any type of vision therapy, or any other body system therapy?  When eldest here was young and going through vision function therapy her farsightedness improved along with the vision functions targeted by the therapy.

Her symptoms are way too complex for a walk in clinic. The Celiac specialist said that her cardiac and neurological symptoms are still within the realm of celiac symptoms. So if I am right and they are caused by celiac then they can only be alleviated by going gluten free- which is not what we're being allowed to do. She's been seen by two different pediatric cardiologists for these symptoms and they can't do anything (or so they say) since the cause isn't the heart itself.

The best thing to do is to pray that we can get the biopsy done by the end of next week. That would be the best for a whole bunch of reasons.

I am praying and reading further, in hopes that this has come to pass.

Has she been doing any type of vision therapy, or any other body system therapy?  When eldest here was young and going through vision function therapy her farsightedness improved along with the vision functions targeted by the therapy.

She finished speech therapy a few months ago, but I doubt that had any effect on her vision.

Dd6 is, in many ways, an anomaly.  :)

• Like 1

I am Grumpy the Dwarf. I need to start sleeping better. I'm not having insomnia as such; just bad dreams and restlessness. And I should go to bed a few minutes earlier.

I hope you got some better sleep.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Our trip really messed up our sleep patterns here.  Sunday evening I was wallowing in misery on the couch, dropped off to sleep for a bit, woke up, couldn't remember where I was, asked DH what time it was, and halfway through asking him what was on the itinerary for tomorrow and what time we have to all get up I realized I was home and NO ONE had to be up at any particular time the next day.  Today yes, but not yesterday morning.

I tried to go to bed Sunday evening but couldn't get back to sleep.  Last night was much better.  I cheated and took Afrin last night, and again today so I could be sure to breathe when I took DD to the podiatrist.  I will not be taking it tonight -- I don't like taking it this much as it could cause other problems.  But breathing and not coughing quite so much is nice.

• Like 2

No  (sob).  I was running a very noisy carpet shampooer and kept shutting it off to make sure that the phone wasn't ringing.  It wasn't.  Sigh.  I'm done shampooing for now so at least if the phone rings I will be sure to hear it. 

Actually, as I wrote this.  I realized that despite them telling me that I would hear from the schedulers they did put the scheduler's phone number on my visit summary.  So I'm going to be "that mom" and am going to give them a call. 

Many times when I have been told someone would contact me and then I'm given their phone number it turns out they were waiting for me to call, so I think that is a proper and prudent decision.