Menu

Ignore this thread!

I rescued a horrible night of math by doing an awesome history lesson.

Here's our notes:

* Manchu emperor Chi'en-lung ruled for 60 years

* Kept West out of China, only allowed trade through port of Canton

* England wanted in, but the emperor sent King George III's ambassador, Macartney, packin'!

* So the British East India Company grew poppies in India, turned the Chines into opium addicts, and made bank

Straight out of Canton

:lol: The last line was DS :smilielol5:

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

Apparently nobody in our house likes Coconut Cream pudding from Jello. I'm not even sure why we had it, but I had Broccoli make it, and then I ended up eating it all because I thought it was bearable. At least it was a small package. We needed to buy milk to make it though, so we bought instant chocolate pudding Jello while we were at it. And lemons, because apparently Broccoli wants to make lemonade. 

I wonder what I can subtract from this week's schedule to make space for documentaries. Probably just giving the kids less free electronics time would be the easiest fix. 

• Like 1

The egg is not shrinking the way it's supposed to. I tried sugar solution overnight, then added in some salt early in the afternoon, then gave up and bought corn syrup at the grocery store since that seems to be the most frequently recommended thing. Thus far no change... it's smaller than it was after the vinegar, but not smaller than it was in the shell (maybe even still a tiny bit bigger). If it's still the same tomorrow morning I'm going to just put it in water to let it grow some more, and then do the egg drop/bounce thing in the evening (if it does shrink more overnight I'm still going to do the same thing). I think for the sake of science we should probably also drop an egg with the shell from various heights to compare. Just because. I really wish the osmosis thing will end up being more visible though. 

• Like 1

Which is not good, because a thousand things have to happen between now and the weekend, when I pack up seven people for a trip while simultaneously moving everything we own into the garage so the floors can be restained and finished while we are gone.

And in case you were wondering, everything we own can NOT fit in the one-car garage.

:willy_nilly: :svengo:

• Like 3

Imma bed. School is done, even though we're not done. Because my body says so.

G'night.

It's summer. It's late. Your kid is 10. You're not feeling 100%. It's all good. 

ETA: I meant that going to bed is all good. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Here's our notes:

* England wanted in, but the emperor sent King George III's ambassador, Macartney, packin'!

* So the British East India Company grew poppies in India, turned the Chines into opium addicts, and made bank

Straight out of Canton

That is awesome!!

• Like 2

Good morning!

How are you feeling, ikslo?

🌹â¤ï¸â¤ï¸ Happy Anniversary, Lynn and Mr. Lynn! â¤ï¸â¤ï¸ðŸŒ¹

Full day of school and nowhere to go! :hurray: Rumers are that the neighbor boys are returning from NC/FL today - they've been gone a month and school starts for them on Thursday. I have a couple things to do this morning before breakfast.

Coffee!

• Like 4

And I have no idea why #nog is preferable.

Egg nog!?! Now??

I'm okay with that. *stuffs iced tea way in the back of the fridge* But we still have to do cider season on time.

I still shouldn't be on the internet. But I'm mostly winning.

• Like 7

Hi!

Happy birthday yesterday, ikslo!  (I thought I said so yesterday, but apparently I forgot-SORRY!)

Happy birthday, Spuds!

Slash, fish tacos are SUPPOSED to be made with shredded cabbage.  It may be a law.

Now, I must go forth and slay the finger paints!

I bet they make glitter paints. Just saying ...

Bathtub finger paints.  My kids loved those when they were little, and I could simply wash it all away when they were done with their bath.

• Like 2

Good morning. I had tea.

I went to water aerobics. It was good. Now I will sleep better. Always do on water aerobics nights.

Nice!

It is Korean because the letters are Korean. I can't read it but I can recognize it!

Yep. I know Korean from the Korean churches round here.

I can't sleep. :svengo:

:grouphug: Can you stay home today?

Good Tuesday morning.

(((Ikslo))). Hope you slept and feel better.

Happy 25 years to dh and me. â¤ï¸

:001_wub:

Egg nog!?! Now??

I'm okay with that. *stuffs iced tea way in the back of the fridge* But we still have to do cider season on time.

I still shouldn't be on the internet. But I'm mostly winning.

EGG NOG!!!

• Like 6

Good morning all ITTers! May your day be filled with coffee, good health, and obedient children. I hope today kicks yesterday's butt.

Happy Marriage Birthday, Lynn and Mr. Lynn! You've been married for a quarter of a century!

Coffee! Can't let it get cold!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 7

:grouphug:

:hurray:

I don't know how much work that is, but can you divide it up into equal parts and come party with us for a break in between each part?  I keep giving myself ITT breaks in-between things on my todo list.  And you'll feel so good when you put the sewing machine and ironing board away.  Your room will look so sleek and smart!  (My room looks like last year's school work threw up in there.   :glare:   I suppose I should do something about that before we start up again....)

Youngest has become the toddler today, arguing about why she should have to do things.  I confiscated screens.  I think we may have reached an understanding.  We'll see.... 

As well you should!   :laugh:

Our master bedroom currently looks like the teen girls' room did on the ship -- dirty laundry on the floor (though in OUR room it is sorted into load piles), other stuff piled and strewn everywhere.  At least it smells better than their room on the ship did -- teen funk strewn about a tiny room wasn't fun.  I did give my DD a laundry bag and the funk reduced when I collected laundry to wash midway through the trip, but Dear Cuz did NOT take the hint and keep her own stuff confined.  I had to tell the girls flat-out that it was unacceptable to leave stuff in the way of the steward who came to clean and make up the beds.  I also told them it was unacceptable to make him wait HOURS to get in to tend to their room.  BIL gleefully gave me permission to rouse his kid when I was leaving the room with mine.  "Kick her for me!"  He and his daughter are very much alike.

I anticipate it will take me at least as long to undo the aftermath of the trip as it took me to organize and pack for it.

And our homeschool room is still a mess, and I haven't given a thought to planning yet.

Yesterday's to-do list:  

• binge-watch Grimm from the beginning while wallowing on the couch in achy, stuffy misery -- check
  • cancel my dentist appointment this week (to be rescheduled once I am better) -- check
  • work in spurts to put together chicken soup -- check
  • empty out luggage in order to find my meds and the 24-hour Sudafed -- check
  • drag all of the junk off of my side of the bed into laundry baskets so I can fall into bed and hopefully sleep -- check

Today's to-do list:

• run laundry -- in progress (my clothes)
  • make and eat my breakfast -- check
  • rouse kids out of bed and make them take showers -- check
  • get DD13 to her bunion appointment
  • segregate souvenirs for DD13 to take to certain people at Aikido this evening (DH will hopefully be free to take her)
  • wallow in stuffy exhaustion and binge-watch more Grimm

As you can see it's an ambitious day today.   :zombie:

• Like 5

Krissi, that's exactly why I'm making my jam today. I can't face the thought of making it with school going on. Can you find a fun movie to watch while you work?

The Blueberry-grape-key-lime jam is done. I'm taking a little break and will do all the "just grape" after lunch. The kids are asking what's for lunch and I think it's gonna have to be a "make-your-own-sandwich" lunch again. For the 4th time this week.

Dinner will be boiled water.

I like this meal plan!

• Like 2

NO!!!!  I can't heeeeeear you......

Summer Break is forever.  August is just an old myth.

But but but -- my birthday is in August....   :crying:

Piteous boo-hooyah....

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Tuesday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Dentist for both me and youngest DD😱

Doctor for DS!!😦

Happy Anniversary Lynn and Mr. Lynn!!💕💕💕

• Like 5

I feel a bit guilty posting this after Lynn, but I'm being amazingly productive.  It has taken me a week but my dining room is now decluttered of all boxes of "stuff".  I found some important missing books, some important school papers (necessary for college applications) and dd's passport.  And got rid of a lot of junk.  I have now dusted the room completely.  And vacuumed.  I'm taking a break before shampooing the carpet. 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Good for you!

• Like 3

Yay, I successfully uploaded a picture. So, there's my quilt. I made the shams and the throw pillow. The top is finished, and I need to get fabric and batting to finish it. But, I did put away the sewing machine and ironing board and dust mopped my bedroom. So I am feeling much better about life.

Lovely!!!!  Great job!

• Like 2

Good morning!

Today is dd19's birthday! She requested Dutch Babies for Birthday Breakfast. :D

#dutchbabiesarenotdutch

ikslo, tell ds to strip the sheets.

Jean and Renai, go to sleep!

Coffee!

Um happy birthday to your DD, but  :scared: !!!!

Okay, so channeling my old Food And Culture prof:  and how does one prepare these Dutch Babies?  Will this be a ritual dinner, full of spiritual significance?  How long has your culture been practicing this?

• Like 2

Here's our notes:

Straight out of Canton

Hey, Ikslo an' me is doing the same history!  We just finished that chapter.

I took the opportunity to throw in a state mandated health lesson (just say no! just say no!).  Whereupon my children rolled their eyes and We-Knooooooowed me in one loud chorus of voices.   (Okay, I was driving so I don't know for certain that they rolled their eyes.  But I'm pretty sure they did.)

Health for this year -- check.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 7

The embarrassing truth is that the water in the extractor bucket still looks like espresso.

Our downstairs carpet always had that problem, as well as mystery stains that magically appeared the first time we tried to clean the carpet and reappeared and grew every time after that.  When we finally tore out the carpet to install tile we discovered the builders had left PILES of dirt under the carpet and pad.  They swept the dirt into piles and then left it.  Even professional cleaners were stymied by those stains.

• Like 5

Coffee!

Then visit the Blood-Sucking Nurse and offer her my fifth-born child.

Then pick up my freshly-minted school planner (in two volumes this year!) from Staples.

Then a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store next door to Staples.

Then my free Second Coffee from the Coffee Shop.

Then caulk from the hardware store. The GE Silicone kind.

Then clean up the last few piles left in the school room.  

• Like 5

Our downstairs carpet always had that problem, as well as mystery stains that magically appeared the first time we tried to clean the carpet and reappeared and grew every time after that.  When we finally tore out the carpet to install tile we discovered the builders had left PILES of dirt under the carpet and pad.  They swept the dirt into piles and then left it.  Even professional cleaners were stymied by those stains.

Ugh!  

When our carpets were recently torn up, we found cigarette butts underneath.  Dozens of them, in every room.  

I mean really. Who does that???  :cursing:

• Like 5

Hey, Ikslo an' me is doing the same history!  We just finished that chapter.

I took the opportunity to throw in a state mandated health lesson (just say no! just say no!).  Whereupon my children rolled their eyes and We-Knooooooowed me in one loud chorus of voices.   (Okay, I was driving so I don't know for certain that they rolled their eyes.  But I'm pretty sure they did.)

Health for this year -- check.   :coolgleamA:

You're starting this year's history by finishing last year's, too?  Cool. 

• Like 4

Fish Taco sauce (from myrecipes.com)

* 1/3-1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

* 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

* 1/2 C mayonnaise

* 1/2 C sour cream

* 2 teaspoon grated lime zest

* 1T fresh lime juice

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 2 garlic cloves, minced

This is the recipe doubled which was plenty for the 8 of us. My cilantro plant died and the store was out of fresh, so I used 3 T dried cilantro. I made it a day ahead.

Sounds yummy!

Quoting so I find it again later, as I get caught up.

• Like 1