Menu

Ignore this thread!

Annnnd I have to stop at the Scout Store. Second DS had something (which he denies and I think it had to be a pen, but I couldn't find it anywhere) in his pocket when I washed his Class A shirt, which left huge blue ink blotches. Nothing I could do got them out. So I get to buy him a new shirt. 😡😡😡😡😡

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

That stinks.  Did you try hairspray?  Spray and blot, spray and blot.  Lots of it.

If the shirt really seems irredeemable you could offer it to the troop for trials and experimentation, to see if they can come up with anything that might work.   :coolgleamA:

#scoutsareresourceful

I can't get Siri (or Jeeves, in my case) to sing for me. He just keeps saying he'd rather not or that he should leave it to the professionals.

Stage-fright Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you!

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

But then it's kind of silly to pride yourself on tuition costs being low when you tack on a million other things, even if you're upfront about them. At least the private school we briefly looked into prided itself on not tacking on all sorts of extra expenses. That said, they cost about $20k/year, but it's amazing how there are some schools that cost that much and *still* nickel and dime you to death. 

We had a not-so-great experience with a rather costly Christian school here when DD16 was 6.  We didn't last long at that school.  They certainly nickel-and-dimed us, but even went far beyond that -- Wednesdays were chapel days, and they frequently "invited" others in to talk to the kids about their ministries and have the kids ask their parents to donate money.  I really resented having to repeatedly explain to my 6-year-old why we couldn't afford to support EVERY charity and ministry that asks for money.  She was so sure each time that she would be the only kid not bringing money or a check to school the next day.  Luckily there were other classmates not bringing donations, too, so she didn't feel quite so much like she'd be in trouble.

Latin is done. Laundry is almost done. I don't know why laundry smells bad to me if it stays in the washer too long. Nobody else complains. But I don't like it.

*Educational post*

I have some boxes. Shiny!

Mom nose.  Always trust Mom nose.

• Like 3

Did I tell you all what I listen to now when I work out?  I stumbled across it one day, and have no idea how I didn't know this type of music existed.  So sheltered. :(

Anyway, my new favorite song:

Broccoli Man by Shonen Knife

https://www.pandora.com/artist/shonen-knife/genki-shock/broccoli-man/TRnf65PXr4zhklg

:lol:

I'm confused by Pandora.  I tried to listen to the Broccoli Man song but was given something else to "start things off".  How do I get Pandora to play the actual Broccoli Man song?

• Like 1

I want macaroni and cheese in the worst way today. I have yet to find a really good GF substitute. I need to get to work on that.

For tonight's comestibles, I am preparing Rum Apple Pork Shoulder. I'm making it up as I go along. :laugh: I had a bunch of onions, some apple butter and garlic to use up.

ETA: I could conceivably also be thinking of making some gluten-free biscuits to have with honey for dessert. There will be corn on the cob at least, and salad for those who want it.

That sounds like something they would serve in the fancy dining room on the boat!   :drool5:

• Like 2

PSA: If you get in my face asking for grapes, you will be sent to your room. 

I wouldn't even mind giving them grapes... but I can't handle two kids right up in my personal space about it. 

SIL was saying something quite similar this morning, after getting up early (after staying up late to clean up messes) to go grocery shopping so there would be actual food for breakfast this morning.

The grapes were already washed and set out in a bowl.  Outside of her personal space.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it not being boiling outside. And NaNoWriMo. The boys have expressed an interest in participating for now, but we'll see if they still want to do it in November, or if it turns into NoNoWriMo. The less enthusiastic boy already gasped in horror at the torture of doing some writing for literature this fall. :D

Ah, yes!  Nanowrimo comes beautifully after October madness here, and after the temps drop significantly.  Nanowrimo and cool temps!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................

• Like 1

Reported!

I am looking forward to Shakespeare and drawing. And I'll admit that I like ancient history - not as much as medieval, but close. I am only homeschooling 4 this year, so I am hoping the coordination of everyone is a little easier. Particularly with dd18 at college - she always had a lot going on that wasn't related to anything anyone else was doing. The 4 youngers are mostly involved in the same activities with the exception of tutorial for dd14 and Boy Scouts for ds12.

Aaaaannndd I'm back to mis-reading things.  "Spakespeare and drowning"

• Like 4

Somebody tell me a joke or something. I'm having one of those nutty writer issues where the end of a productive writing session leaves me feeling like I've been abandoned entirely and left to rot. It's probably something chemical, but I'm at a loss how to fix it. :001_huh:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Wanna hear something dirty?

A pig fell in the mud.

• Like 5

I asked my cabin group if any of them suffered from post-writing blues. Over half of them do. So I'm still weird, but I have company.

And on this post I have been notified that I am once again out of likes.  Argh!

But I am happy you have company.

• Like 2

The 5th anniversary of The Great Cupcake Kerfuffle is 2 weeks from today (August 10th). It will take me that long to get a handle on making cupcakes.

*gasp*  I'm in time for it!  What do we need to do?  How many cupcakes?  How many varieties?

I'm writing the very last chapter of this edition of my novel today. Whew. Third draft will be done. Then to let it cool, and go play with the sequel while everything congeals and sorts itself out in my head.

Also, I have a short story to write. Sometimes a character says something, and I can tell there's a story behind it. And this one just begged to be turned into a stand-alone folk tale from my fantasy world, so that should give me something to keep my busy and fairly happy.

Oooooo, MORE pins and needles!

• Like 2

Speaking of cupcakes, oldest has asked for 2 batches to be made for him alone before he leaves for college.  11yo ds has asked for 1 personal batch for his birthday.   :tongue_smilie:

It's horribly hot and humid here too, but it's thundering, so maybe there's hope.  Have you gotten any rain?

Normally I don't either because I'm not an icing fan.  But mine are pretty darn good.  They are chocolate (homemade, not a box) with a dollop of a cream cheese mixture (including chocolate chips which get all melty....) in the middle and NO ICING!   :drool5:

I'll be looking for the recipe, certain that you have shared it.  Now is the time to post it if you haven't, while I'm still not ketchupped.

• Like 2

And I know that I'd read that the recipe made 2lbs of dough when I first got the book. And then promptly proceeded to forget, apparently. Even though I was thinking that that was a ton of flour. Oops. Told my wife to get more cheese if she can (she took Broccoli to camping store etc). Not sure what else to do... I was going to do a meatballs and sauerkraut pizza and a pepperoni pizza, and I know I've got more canned tomatoes I could turn into sauce, and there are 2 bell peppers that may or may not still be any good, but what on earth to do for pizza #4 I don't know... probably just cheese (if I bother to make it at all). Oh, and all of this is 100% whole wheat dough, because Celery wanted to follow the recipe (even after I told him that the recipe said we could use part white flour). So, DW isn't going to be amused by that, but I figured she could deal... for 2 pizzas. 4... is a bit much. 

Turn one into dessert pizza. Butter and cinnamon sugar.

That's a good idea, though I kind of wish it wasn't 100% whole wheat for that. 

No, that will make it good! Use brown sugar and not white, and it will bring out that nutty flavor of the whole wheat.

Hm... I wonder how it'd be with nutella or reese's chocolate/peanutbutter spread?

Or honey butter? Mmmmm.

These pizza notes have all been added to the ITT cookbook, right?   :drool5:

• Like 1

Fry fish

Heat corn tortillas on the stove

Chop fried fish, tomatoes, onions, iceberg and cilantro

Make tacos with sour cream

We got them that way on a truck in México.

ITT cookbook has this too, right?

• Like 1

I'm in bed.

Matt's Tshirting.

John's in his cage.

Mary's in her cage.

Alex's is in his cage.

I have excellent recipes for white fish if you care. Don't buy tilapia.

What kind of white fish is good?

I need to learn how to cook more fishes.

• Like 1

I'm outta likes, and everything is likeable.

Dd22 went to the sheriff's office.

Dd17 and little dd are singing.

Little ds is talking about the internet and ping. He knows more than I do.

It is raining a bunch.

:grouphug: to Jean.

Sheriff's office?   :toetap05:

• Like 1

I decluttered and cleaned today, and I did not leave the house once. I have another truckload for goodwill and disposed of many boxes of old paperwork. Then I sorted mom's, tlih and cemetery treasury paperwork. I done several loads of laundry and cooked supper. More cleaning tomorrow. Then I hope to start school prepping.

Mom seems to be doing fair. She is complaining of stomach problems, but I think she is not eating properly. She told ds22 she misses all of us. I imagine it is very quite by herself. I will go Saturday or Sunday to sort meds and bring groceries. I am trying to keep my involvement to a minimum. So far, it is going well, but it has only been 4 days.

Imma bed. Good night, sweet dreams. Safe travels JJM.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Our neighbors took very good care of our place while we were gone. DBIL and DSIL, on the other hand, had a much different experience. They hired a family member to watch their place and dogs and cat and plants while they were gone. Said family member didn't do a very good job -- made messes all over the house, didn't water ANYTHING (dead plants inside and out), piled stuff ineffectually in front of the gap the dogs squeezed through in the gate instead of screwing on a board to stop them (her boyfriend works construction, so we don't buy the don't-know-how argument), left the dogs loose in the house unattended for hours (instead of putting them in their kennels) so now one sofa pillow is torn and there's a hole chewed into the top of the back of the sofa, hadn't returned the car she borrowed (borrowed with permission) and when asked to get it back by morning (DBIL needs it for work) simply said "Your mornings and my mornings are different."

Said young relative was paid half the agreed-upon sum up front. She will not be getting the other half. She didn't even wash the dishes she dirtied, and left smelly diapers in trash cans in every room in the house.

:svengo:

• Like 1

Nap! You don't want to do a poor job because you're tired.

I did! I'm still tired. I'm going to work in pen and ink for another hour and then go to bed. No permanent changes. Just getting this chapter in better shape for typing in tomorrow.

• Like 3