Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am back from the Afsa. I hate that place. But it's the only place I can get school supplies, groceries for cheap, toiletries and underwear all in one stop.

Now I am having COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ and trying to figure out how to keep my life from spiraling out of control.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

I think I will go back to cooking/prepping for the week each weekend.

I really would like to do that. I have a menu for the week and I did shop for it at the Afsa, but I would buy less convenience foods (i.e. Frozen meatballs for the crock pot) if I did more stuff on the weekends. My girlfriends were talking last weekend about buying a ton of ground beef in bulk and then mass producing meatballs and freezing them. I need to do that.
  • Like 1

I'm doing the neurotic writer thing and seesawing between "my manuscript is really quite good" (picture me snobbishly looking over the top of my glasses) and "my manuscript is the worst thing ever written and the fireplace would choke on it" (picture me with both hands clenched in my hair looking down at a bloody page). 

I will survive. 

Chocolate would probably help.

ETA: Oh, great. It's a Mothers-don't-let-your-children-grow-up-to-be-writers Booyah.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

I am back from the Afsa. I hate that place. But it's the only place I can get school supplies, groceries for cheap, toiletries and underwear all in one stop.

Making one stop instead of 3 or 4 is the only redeeming quality of AFSA. I'm glad you made it out safely and moderately intact!

• Like 2

Different things. Sometimes soups, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, meatloaf, taco meat, raw meat marinating in freezer bags, lasagne. I'm sure there's more.

Sometimes I make freezer meals and sometimes I just cook for the week and keep it in the refrigerator, and sometimes I just prep for the week.

I do some of this, too, but not as much as I would like.  Because limited freezer space, limited energy, and limited money.  :)

I freeze meatballs, cooked ground beef for beefaroni or soup, taco meat, chicken cut up into pieces, marinated chicken pieces, cooked ground sausage to put in spaghetti sauce, leftover rotisserie chicken (from the grocery store), muffins, cupcakes, ...

• Like 1

I think the last (and only) time I've been to a concert at the Ryman was to see Toto. I don't know what to wear. If only I had a pair of cowboy boots - that would solve all my fashion quandaries.

I would love a pair of cowboy boots. And if I had the nerve, they would be red.

• Like 3

We do, however now we want our violin back. (I thought my parents had sold it, but turns out they had lent it out to some autism center... I found that out while visiting them last December, but I feel bad asking for it back... but I can't exactly afford to buy a new violin either (I mean, I could maybe get a cheap crappy one, but this one was iirc 2,000 euros and an additional 800 euros for the bow, or something along those lines)... realistically, I don't necessarily want them to FedEx it here anyway, so I've got time to think about this until either we go there or they come here). 

First thing on my list - update signature.  11yo ds is now 12.  Celebrating later this week.  

Pro-tip: there's a lazy way to avoid having to keep track of all your kids' birthdays. See my signature. 

Don't you give me teenage snark and attitude because you will not like the result.  You will not get yelling.  You will get very clearly enunciated expectations that (surprise, surprise) DO NOT go your way. 

Imma gonna snark whenever I feel like it and there ain't nothing you can do about it. :P

• Like 3

I do some of this, too, but not as much as I would like.  Because limited freezer space, limited energy, and limited money.   :)

I freeze meatballs, cooked ground beef for beefaroni or soup, taco meat, chicken cut up into pieces, marinated chicken pieces, cooked ground sausage to put in spaghetti sauce, leftover rotisserie chicken (from the grocery store), muffins, cupcakes, ...

I would like a chest freezer. Not the latest and greatest, just a basic $200 freezer. Then I would like to spend a week every 3 months or so making things. This does sound daunting and I've also considered quadrupling every meal and only having to cook every few nights. Costco has a nice one for $250 but we're on the bottom floor and would rather not keep $500 in food outside so we're waiting until we move, but they are fabulous to have and I think you should get one.

• Like 2

I would like a chest freezer. Not the latest and greatest, just a basic $200 freezer. Then I would like to spend a week every 3 months or so making things. This does sound daunting and I've also considered quadrupling every meal and only having to cook every few nights. Costco has a nice one for $250 but we're on the bottom floor and would rather not keep $500 in food outside so we're waiting until we move, but they are fabulous to have and I think you should get one.

I used to have a very small one, but it wore out.  We just haven't replaced it yet.

• Like 2

We do, however now we want our violin back. (I thought my parents had sold it, but turns out they had lent it out to some autism center... I found that out while visiting them last December, but I feel bad asking for it back... but I can't exactly afford to buy a new violin either (I mean, I could maybe get a cheap crappy one, but this one was iirc 2,000 euros and an additional 800 euros for the bow, or something along those lines)... realistically, I don't necessarily want them to FedEx it here anyway, so I've got time to think about this until either we go there or they come here).

Pro-tip: there's a lazy way to avoid having to keep track of all your kids' birthdays. See my signature.

Imma gonna snark whenever I feel like it and there ain't nothing you can do about it. :P

You're not my teen. You're safe. ;)

• Like 3

I used to have a very small one, but it wore out.  We just haven't replaced it yet.

Actually what I really want is a regular fridge freezer but in reverse. Small fridge, large freezer. I think that would be an excellent addition to any large family's garage. Then you could get milk or whatever in bulk without worrying about the space. I don't think that's a thing though.

• Like 3

I'm doing the neurotic writer thing and seesawing between "my manuscript is really quite good" (picture me snobbishly looking over the top of my glasses) and "my manuscript is the worst thing ever written and the fireplace would choke on it"

I can practically guarantee you that it's not the worst thing ever written (I crossed out the practically because I've seen you write on here, and you seem to be able to write stuff that's both coherent and intelligible, and with decent spelling and punctuation at that). 

I'm ketchupped. Y'all wrote fairly little given that I ignored this thread for over 24 hours. 

PSA: if you're going to ask me to buy pickled jalapeños, and I say okay and then ask if you happen to know where in the store they are, don't start ranting about that you thought we still had some and then leave without saying anything and while leaving the gas stove on. Thx. (we're all fine, I'm just annoyed)

• Like 2

How did this go?

It has more on it than I can do in one day.  But I did get some laundry done which is good because otherwise we were out of bath towels.  

I think I will go back to cooking/prepping for the week each weekend.

Let me know what time to come by and pick up ours.  

I'm doing the neurotic writer thing and seesawing between "my manuscript is really quite good" (picture me snobbishly looking over the top of my glasses) and "my manuscript is the worst thing ever written and the fireplace would choke on it" (picture me with both hands clenched in my hair looking down at a bloody page). 

I will survive. 

Chocolate would probably help.

ETA: Oh, great. It's a Mothers-don't-let-your-children-grow-up-to-be-writers Booyah.

I get that kind of angst just writing a Christmas letter, lol.  I can't imagine an entire novel.  I'm sure it's awesome!

I think the last (and only) time I've been to a concert at the Ryman was to see Toto. I don't know what to wear. If only I had a pair of cowboy boots - that would solve all my fashion quandaries.

Yoga pants?   :laugh:

• Like 4

It's not often that dh and I are in a place where we significantly bring down the age demographic. The Old Lady party, is one, I suppose. :D I think we were the only ones who wore ear plugs. Probably everyone else just turned down their hearing aids. :lol:

Our friend was scrambling at the last minute to arrange for Grandma to get to the concert. (It's Steppenwolf's 50th Anniversary/Farewell Tour). Finally her daughter said she was picking up Grandma and also bringing Aunt Betty. :willy_nilly: Not Aunt Betty! You can't bring HER to the concert! What if they sing Preacherman? So there was some extra excitement wondering if Aunt Betty (an elderly and Very Proper Southern Baptist) came to the concert and if they would sing Preacherman and if she would subsequently have a stroke and disown the family. The concert ended with Born To Be Wild and we gave a sigh of relief. But then they came back out and did Preacherman as an encore. :svengo:

Aunt Betty was not there. Whew.

We got to go backstage. It's freezing back there.

Sweet dreams!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4WiyxXpyZc

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

It's not often that dh and I are in a place where we significantly bring down the age demographic. The Old Lady party, is one, I suppose. :D I think we were the only ones who wore ear plugs. Probably everyone else just turned down their hearing aids. :lol:

Our friend was scrambling at the last minute to arrange for Grandma to get to the concert. (It's Steppenwolf's 50th Anniversary/Farewell Tour).

How was it? Apparently they'll be playing near here later this month for a reasonable price. We could drag the age demographic even further down. I played "Born to be Wild" a fair number of times when I was a kid... but I'm not sure if I know any of their other songs.  :lol:

For Junie

Bubble and boil,

Trouble and toil,

The sound of the kettle at four

Insomnia bites,

And so I won’t fight,

I’ll just get up and write some more.

Random Musings

I am also awake. I got to sleep, but evidently it was decided in dreamland that I wasn't allowed to sleep past now. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

The problem with Mom being in charge of all things animal related is that every animal in the house believes that early Mom means early breakfast, early walkies and early affection. I have fed the food-oriented cats and walked the affection-oriented dogs. And they probably want early breakfast.

The woods around my house are full of owls this morning. It sounded like a jungle out there with all these very noisy hooting birds calling to each other.

• Like 8

Good Sunday morning.

(((Angi, dh and co -workers, trainer's family)))

(((Junie))). Hope you're sleeping now.

Critter - love the poem.

Susan - glad it was a good night!

I'm on the deck babysitting old dog and little pup. Waiting for my coffee to finish brewing. ☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

• Like 4

Good morning!

Everyone go back to bed!

How was it? Apparently they'll be playing near here later this month for a reasonable price. We could drag the age demographic even further down. I played "Born to be Wild" a fair number of times when I was a kid... but I'm not sure if I know any of their other songs. :lol:

I recognized 3 songs - Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, and their cover of Muddy Waters' Hoochie Coochie Man. They performed well but it was definitely a concert for hardcore fans. We went because we have known the bass player and his wife for many years and have never seen him perform.

Coffee!

• Like 7

Oldest has recited a list of favorite foods he would like for me to prepare before going off to college.  He noted last night that the number of days remaining has shrunk while the list has not.  Guess I'll be making his favorite cupcakes this afternoon?  And making a meal plan for the coming week?   :svengo:

• Like 8

Good Morning! Coffee!☕☕☕

It looks like rain here.

Lots to do. Family reunion at noon. Grocery shopping and meds for mom. I have to do something with a 5 gallon bucket of garden tomatoes the neighbor gave us. And I want to work some more on the ITT Booklist. Thanks for all your favorites!

Have a lovely day!

• Like 4

For Junie

Bubble and boil,

Trouble and toil,

The sound of the kettle at four

Insomnia bites,

And so I won’t fight,

I’ll just get up and write some more.

Random Musings

I am also awake. I got to sleep, but evidently it was decided in dreamland that I wasn't allowed to sleep past now.

I love having a poet in residence!!!! Don't they say that a person's best work comes out of trials and anguish?? There you go. In Critter's case, it's insomnia.

I hope you can get some rest later today.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6