Menu

Ignore this thread!

You will NEVER see one. You will only feel the Wrath of Bug upon your skin for days until you repent in anguish over not covering every square inch of your body in picaridin.

I've never felt one either. Thankfully.

• Like 2

The SD-OFNK were here all afternoon. Plus several neighbor kids, which means I was pretty much incapacitated the whole afternoon. The SD-OFNK had to go back home at 4, so at that point I sent everyone away and am making my kids clean the kitchen and living room. I spent all afternoon wasting time by making an arrangement of Skating from A Charlie Brown Christmas. I did manage to get the pot roast and carrots in the IP. I am now hiding in my bedroom.

• Like 5

She didn't have a break on the last test. I think if she had had a break, it might have gone more smoothly. I'm taking a snack for her, for sure. 

Well, breaks might look like different kinds of tests, I would think. Sort of like recess in school. I can see two sides to giving breaks. On one hand, you would like the child to be able to perform as well as they are capable of doing. But on the other hand, you want to see the spectrum of behavior, too. Smoothly might not be as important as accuracy, but then I sometimes take a wee bit of an issue with what most people consider "normal", so I'm hardly a good judge.

I remember one doctor being very concerned that my son didn't know to put birthday candles on a cake. At what point I said, "We haven't ever put birthday candles on a cake. He's a twin. You want to mediate when twin boys fight over who gets to blow the candles out? Yeah. Me either."

• Like 5

Today at dd18's 2nd babysitting job, before she left the mom said a couple neighbor kids would be coming over for a couple hours while their mom ran some errands. Dd didn't know the kids or the mom or even where they lived. That just doesn't sit right with me. She didn't get paid extra either.

• Like 2

Today at dd18's 2nd babysitting job, before she left the mom said a couple neighbor kids would be coming over for a couple hours while their mom ran some errands. Dd didn't know the kids or the mom or even where they lived. That just doesn't sit right with me. She didn't get paid extra either.

It doesn't sit right with me either.  If she gets another job with them, she should tell them up front that extra kids means extra pay.

Or you could send JJM to their house. 

YMMV.

• Like 7

Rusty has been a naughty bunny today. He has chewed holes in two leather pillows. Then we put a laundry basket over him because he was constantly trying to get behind the couch. He figured out how to bite the handle of the laundry basket and move it around the living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Tomorrow I'm think we'll have bread and milk and blackberries for supper, just like Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail. Apparently, the berry farm has a bumper crop of blackberries. So we will go pick in the morning before it gets hot and sunny.

• Like 5

It doesn't sit right with me either.  If she gets another job with them, she should tell them up front that extra kids means extra pay.

YMMV.

It's not even the pay issue, but just a lack of basic sense. If I hired a babsitter for my kids I would never ask them to also be responsible for a couple neighbor kids while they're at it. This is an all-summer-type job (3 days a week) so I think I will suggest to dd that if they try to pull that stunt again, she should insist that the other parent come and make arrangements with her personally.

Oh, yeah, bay-bee!

But if JJM is willing, we can fire up the bazooka.

Why are kids ringing my doorbell again? I don't want to see any more kids today! Bazooka Time!

• Like 4

Rusty has been a naughty bunny today. He has chewed holes in two leather pillows. Then we put a laundry basket over him because he was constantly trying to get behind the couch. He figured out how to bite the handle of the laundry basket and move it around the living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw, poor Rusty is trying to express his inner turtle. ðŸ¢

• Like 2

It seems we'll soon be overrun. It looks like Texas chiggers are moving into New Mexico. I've never seen one though.

From what I understand they like wet environments.  You likely won't encounter them away from riparian zones in NM.

Well, breaks might look like different kinds of tests, I would think. Sort of like recess in school. I can see two sides to giving breaks. On one hand, you would like the child to be able to perform as well as they are capable of doing. But on the other hand, you want to see the spectrum of behavior, too. Smoothly might not be as important as accuracy, but then I sometimes take a wee bit of an issue with what most people consider "normal", so I'm hardly a good judge.

I remember one doctor being very concerned that my son didn't know to put birthday candles on a cake. At what point I said, "We haven't ever put birthday candles on a cake. He's a twin. You want to mediate when twin boys fight over who gets to blow the candles out? Yeah. Me either."

Yes, things like that tend to show them the holes in their expectations -- the tests DO have a cultural bias, though often they don't see it until someone points it out.

• Like 3

Shhhh

I'm hiding.

I'm hiding now, too.  There was a mess on the highway and frontage road coming home, so we explored new territory trying to find a way to connect to a known back route home.  I'm too hungry to cook (so I will eat DH's bacon he grilled) and I'm a bit frazzled from dealing with drivers who have already lost their patience.  I need sanctuary for a spell.

We took cookies to Aikido today for DD12's upcoming birthday.  We bought the cookies, and I individually bagged every single one of them so we could hand them out as kids were heading out the door: "Save them for after dinner!"  This way we earned points for the facility owners because kids weren't strewing crumbs everywhere, and points with parents for not sugaring up their kids before they climbed into cars to head home.

There were only 8 kids in class today, instead of the usual 2-3 dozen.  *sigh*  We have lots of cookies left over.  All of them individually bagged.

(Hiding Booyah)   :leaving:

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

:cursing:   I'm sure you have already told your DD that it is VERY acceptable at such a point to declare that no, that is NOT okay, she will not sit stranger kids.  She can then give the mom who arranged the mess the choice of cancelling the neighbor kids or cancelling the babysitting.  Attempts to wheedle your DD into compliance can be greeted with, "Fine.  I'm outta here."

That was a VERY stinky maneuver of the client mom.  Your DD would have very good reason to refuse to sit for that family ever again.  There are SO MANY legal issues your DD could have been embroiled in.

• Like 3

YMMV.

No, no strangers.  She must meet at least one parent/legal guardian of the kids first, and must have contact info in case of emergency.  Also, some places might have legal limits to the number of kids one person may sit.  What happens if one of the stranger kids disappears or causes injury or property damage to someone else?  What happens if someone stops by to pick them up -- how would your DD know if they are approved to pick up the kids?  There is too much risk of an unsuspecting sitter being embroiled in a custody battle or something.

• Like 2

It's not even the pay issue, but just a lack of basic sense. If I hired a babsitter for my kids I would never ask them to also be responsible for a couple neighbor kids while they're at it. This is an all-summer-type job (3 days a week) so I think I will suggest to dd that if they try to pull that stunt again, she should insist that the other parent come and make arrangements with her personally.

Why are kids ringing my doorbell again? I don't want to see any more kids today! Bazooka Time!

On-going gig?  She needs to talk to that family immediately to put a stop to such occurrences before they even try again.

1. No kids unless arrangements are made ahead of time between DD and their parents, and if the kids are grouping up at one house the agreement of that householder must be gotten in advance, too.
  2. No surprise drop-offs.
  3. No shifting houses during a sitting shift.  They can take turns "hosting" the sitting if they like, but the kids all stay at the location agreed upon beforehand.
  4. As the number of kids increases the difficulty of sitting them all increases exponentially.  The responsibility very quickly becomes unmanageable if there is an emergency with one of the kids.  What is to be done with the others if she must drive or accompany one to the hospital?  There must be an appropriate emergency plan, reliable ways of getting ahold of any parents immediately, and TRIPLE the money whenever the number of kids doubles.  It always looks like "easy money" to someone until a crisis occurs.  They are paying for the what-if coverage.
  • Like 1

And they dumped extra kids on her???  Who does that?

jeep-shooting.gif  Coming your way, Susan!  I know to head east, but the details after that are a bit sketchy!

• Like 6

No, no strangers.  She must meet at least one parent/legal guardian of the kids first, and must have contact info in case of emergency.  Also, some places might have legal limits to the number of kids one person may sit.  What happens if one of the stranger kids disappears or causes injury or property damage to someone else?  What happens if someone stops by to pick them up -- how would your DD know if they are approved to pick up the kids?  There is too much risk of an unsuspecting sitter being embroiled in a custody battle or something.

On-going gig?  She needs to talk to that family immediately to put a stop to such occurrences before they even try again.

• No kids unless arrangements are made ahead of time between DD and their parents, and if the kids are grouping up at one house the agreement of that householder must be gotten in advance, too.
  • No surprise drop-offs.
  • No shifting houses during a sitting shift.  They can take turns "hosting" the sitting if they like, but the kids all stay at the location agreed upon beforehand.
  • As the number of kids increases the difficulty of sitting them all increases exponentially.  The responsibility very quickly becomes unmanageable if there is an emergency with one of the kids.  What is to be done with the others if she must drive or accompany one to the hospital?  There must be an appropriate emergency plan, reliable ways of getting ahold of any parents immediately, and TRIPLE the money whenever the number of kids doubles.  It always looks like "easy money" to someone until a crisis occurs.  They are paying for the what-if coverage.

Thank you for putting this into words. Dd really needs to understand that, while it might have simply been seen as being "helpful", there are really serious issues in play that she (and the parents!) need to understand.

jeep-shooting.gif  Coming your way, Susan!  I know to head east, but the details after that are a bit sketchy!

Second star past Saturn and straight on 'til morning! 💫

• Like 4

I'm done!! It wasn't a bad day, but I'm tired. I made dinner for a family in our SS class. She had a UTI that got out of control and landed her in the hospital with a kidney infection. I like to be able to make dinner for people. It's a good way to serve others, but I am so insecure about my cooking....I'm a good cook. Tonit we ate exactly what I made the people and it was very yummy, but I'm always afraid it's going to turn out gross and they're going to hate it. What's up with that?

• Like 6

Thank you for putting this into words. Dd really needs to understand that, while it might have simply been seen as being "helpful", there are really serious issues in play that she (and the parents!) need to understand.

Second star past Saturn and straight on 'til morning! 💫

There is something else your DD must be very aware of: she has reached the age of majority (18).  As a legal adult the consequences to her should something happen with any of the kids are a LOT more severe than when she was 17.  She must be very aware of everything she agrees to, and unstinting in her insistence on rules being followed.  The potential ramifications that can befall her are too severe to allow otherwise.

She also must stand up for herself now.  Until she does other parents will likely continue to see her as a "kid" whom they could load up for little pay, though if trouble occurs they will certainly not hesitate to go after her as a full adult.

• Like 2

I'm done!! It wasn't a bad day, but I'm tired. I made dinner for a family in our SS class. She had a UTI that got out of control and landed her in the hospital with a kidney infection. I like to be able to make dinner for people. It's a good way to serve others, but I am so insecure about my cooking....I'm a good cook. Tonit we ate exactly what I made the people and it was very yummy, but I'm always afraid it's going to turn out gross and they're going to hate it. What's up with that?

Diagnosis:  You're human.

(And we love you, just the way you are.  :grouphug: (

• Like 6