Menu

Ignore this thread!

Happy Memorial Day!

Dh did a Home Depot run this morning so he has all the lumber and drywall he needs, though he is still working on the electrical stuff.  

I've hung a few more frames, and done several loads of laundry, and got inspired to cook for today even though it's rainy and we are working too hard on the house to really celebrate.  

So.... homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs is bubbling in the crockpot, and salad is the fridge, and biscuits and strawberries and blueberries are ready to go for strawberry/blueberry shortcake.  The heavy cream in the back of the fridge turned out to be half-n-half, so I'll have to hit the store if I want top it all off with homemade whipped cream.  Which of course I want to do (who wouldn't?).  

Party hard, everyone.

Extra hugs to all the Newcastles.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 6

All right, people!! We're back!!, I have not ketchupped!!! At all!!! I'm sorry I didn't give y'all the heads up we were leaving town this weekend. So, no we were not kidnapped by aliens and taken to the planet Zorgon and had our minds re-programmed.

We went to Memorial Day Family Camp at our favorite little Christian Camp in the mountains. We left Friday afternoon and between DS's graduation nonsense the day before and laundry and kittens and everything else, we were out the door and on our way and without Internet connection before I realized I hadn't told anyone. It was a wonderful weekend. Trees and mountains, and streams and not having to cook for 8 straight meals (although I think I gained 10 lbs., the food was great, they fed us lots and often and dessert every meal). It's a small camp and we could just let the kids have their freedom all day and not worry. They found friends and went boating and on the zipline and the Extreme Swing. And I did archery 2 afternoons. It was a wonderful weekend!!

Actually, I think you told us a while back.  We just collectively forgot.

• Like 4

We have no bread, no (almond) milk, and we're out of almost everything but I refuse to set foot in the store today.

It's going to be full of drunk people who need bbq supplies, and I don't want to deal with that.

Lots of people buying BBQ supplies here, including me, but not one person who seemed even slightly tipsy. But then it's only 2 pm

• Like 2

Jean--does your local store offer lots of liquor samples in store? There's a drinking culture here in TX that I find disturbing and unhealthy.

You walk into Target, and you're in the wine/liquor section (instead of the dollar deals).

You walk into Trader Joe's, and the liquor is 1/3 of the floor space.

You walk into the local grocery store, and you pass by 4 liquor samples (wine, local ale, hard alcohol, etc.). The liquor section is 2x the size of the health food section.

Within a few blocks of me are several liquor stores, including one that specializes in frozen drinks. 

I've lived places where custom brewing was big, in university towns where keggers happened on weekends, in European cities where drinking was a part of daily life....but this is just an entirely different dynamic. It's regular drinking to excess as a culture....and it's not paired with the strict driving laws of say, Denmark, where drinking to excess is also not uncommon.  I see a weaving, likely intoxicated driver during most of my trips out and about.  It's scary.

We have no bread, no (almond) milk, and we're out of almost everything but I refuse to set foot in the store today.

It's going to be full of drunk people who need bbq supplies, and I don't want to deal with that.

I sent dh out with a list, which did not contain cream cheese. :D I still have no idea what to have for dinner. Might be pancakes.

:hurray: It's a Pancake Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you!

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

Jean--does your local store offer lots of liquor samples in store? There's a drinking culture here in TX that I find disturbing and unhealthy.

You walk into Target, and you're in the wine/liquor section (instead of the dollar deals).

You walk into Trader Joe's, and the liquor is 1/3 of the floor space.

You walk into the local grocery store, and you pass by 4 liquor samples (wine, local ale, hard alcohol, etc.). The liquor section is 2x the size of the health food section.

Within a few blocks of me are several liquor stores, including one that specializes in frozen drinks. 

I've lived places where custom brewing was big, in university towns where keggers happened on weekends, in European cities where drinking was a part of daily life....but this is just an entirely different dynamic. It's regular drinking to excess as a culture....and it's not paired with the strict driving laws of say, Denmark, where drinking to excess is also not uncommon.  I see a weaving, likely intoxicated driver during most of my trips out and about.  It's scary.

No, nothing like that.  I mean, there is liquor sold in stores here (they just switched a couple of years ago to allow that instead of it only being allowed at state run liquor stores) but no samples other than the occasional wine tasting which is strictly carded.  There are some DUI's of course that you hear about on the news but I very rarely see someone who I might think is intoxicated and never before 9 pm. 

• Like 1

The grocery store is a zoo, I tell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for telling me. I have half a mind to to go The Afsa, but my other half, the rational half, is telling me that would be incredibly stupid, have a cup of COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And work on the laundry.
  • Like 5

Spudater--I know the laminator pockets tend to go on sale during black friday. Looks like the laminators hit their low point then too. Here's the pricing graph for the past 24 months for the laminator:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Scotch-TL901C-T-Thermal-Laminator-Laminating/product/B00ZI7MI96?context=search

Based on historical data, if you want the pro click before school starts this fall, you might want to buy now:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/GBC-ProClick-Desktop-Binding-Machine/product/B00006IAS3?context=search

But, um, yeah, I own both.

• Like 1

Reading and printing off all of these recipes has my tummy growling in hunger!!  Does anyone have a healthy breakfast cookie recipe? I have someone who doesn't want to eat in the morning but really needs to.

ETA: Our hope and plan is that once the cookies are in and the blood sugar comes up, we can get some hard boiled eggs into the kid. :)

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 5

Prairie, that is interesting and horrifying at the same time.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.  Until a few months ago, beer wasn't even sold in grocery stores or convenience stores.

The AFSA here just got a liquor license. Huge boxes of beer went on debut this weekend. :svengo: As if the people there weren't already weird enough. 

• Like 1

You might be a homeschool mom if:

Your amazon wishlist includes a laminator and a proclick.

You never should have opened that thread (the proclick one. I bought a laminator based on recommendations here... :svengo: ).

• Like 2

Spudater--I know the laminator pockets tend to go on sale during black friday. Looks like the laminators hit their low point then too. Here's the pricing graph for the past 24 months for the laminator:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Scotch-TL901C-T-Thermal-Laminator-Laminating/product/B00ZI7MI96?context=search

Based on historical data, if you want the pro click before school starts this fall, you might want to buy now:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/GBC-ProClick-Desktop-Binding-Machine/product/B00006IAS3?context=search

But, um, yeah, I own both.

Wow. Prairie is hardcore.

• Like 5

Matt's home. He's been doing work from home stuff. I took the kids on a hike, they painted pictures for my girlfriend, they watched Created Cosmos and Salsa, they napped. I'm running out of things for them to do. And I'm tired.

I've wanted a proclick for years but couldn't justify the purchase until now. I almost got one last month but the funding wasn't there. Probably this month.

• Like 4

I don't know. I do have Staples, Office Depot, Kinkos, and Lakeshore Learning.

The cards are only 4x6so that might not be too bad!

When I laminated veritable press cards 10 years ago, the parent teacher store was much more reasonable than any of the office supply stores.

• Like 2

Rocky has suddenly and catastropically lost all function of his back legs. The vet is closed for the weekend. The humane society is also closed though they are open tomorrow (though I don't know if that includes euthanization services). I'm trying to figure out what to do.

:grouphug:
  • Like 1