Menu

Ignore this thread!

I worked. It's time to walk the big dogs. The puppies had leash training earlier today. I know this because the boys left ALL the leashes in the yard. I went out into the poison oak infested underbrush to get fencing for my son to protect his pumpkin hills from the marauding airborne chickens. I desperately need a bath because of ticks. But again, I have to walk dogs.

I just want a bath and bedtime.

• Like 5

I have returned from picking berries and showered.  I am now eating peanut butter while DD15 puts away clean dishes.  Once she's done with that I will start cleaning, sorting, and portioning blueberries and will get the first batch in the freezer.

It was great weather for picking!

I want to take dd berry picking, but she'll probably tell me that her arms are too tired, then she'll end up doing one of her interpretive dances and squishing the berries. 

This is her random dancing in a restaurant: 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 8

So, I've decided that I'm going to get a second opinion on the diagnosis. The psych was showing a lot of frustration in trying to get Riv to finish the test and Riv doesn't respond well with that. She was also more hyper than I've ever seen her, so I know the IQ portion was skewed. 
Another psych emailed me back on Thursday, and I initially said "no thank you", but I emailed back and requested an appointment for a 2nd opinion. (I have no doubt about the ADHD and the processing disorder, but I'm hoping this guy can actually pinpoint the issue.) 

• Like 10

So, I've decided that I'm going to get a second opinion on the diagnosis. The psych was showing a lot of frustration in trying to get Riv to finish the test and Riv doesn't respond well with that. She was also more hyper than I've ever seen her, so I know the IQ portion was skewed.

Another psych emailed me back on Thursday, and I initially said "no thank you", but I emailed back and requested an appointment for a 2nd opinion. (I have no doubt about the ADHD and the processing disorder, but I'm hoping this guy can actually pinpoint the issue.)

Argh!

• Like 1

Argh!

HA! That's how I feel. 

I'm assuming this is in reference to the psych's attitude? 

My mom called today (She has the kid right now) and wants us to come down for dinner and to talk about the diagnosis and things she has observed this weekend. (30 years as a teacher and administrator, so she has a pretty good idea of what to look for). I'm glad I have her as a sounding block. 

• Like 6

Implementing not so much.

I have an ambitious plan for Gymnast this summer. But, it also includes a $1 movie each week at the cinema. We just did the hard part of watching all the trailers (two per week) to see which one she wanted to see each week. :D Now, I get to finish the real planning work.

ETA for an Ambitious BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
  • Like 9

I have an ambitious plan for Gymnast this summer. But, it also includes a $1 movie each week at the cinema. We just did the hard part of watching all the trailers (two per week) to see which one she wanted to see each week.  :D Now, I get to finish the real planning work.

Strongly approve!

• Like 4

I want to take dd berry picking, but she'll probably tell me that her arms are too tired, then she'll end up doing one of her interpretive dances and squishing the berries. 

This is her random dancing in a restaurant: 

Ack! You didn't put the cuteness warning on that post!!!! I think I've zumba'd to that song; we'd dance well together. :D

• Like 6

Mary, I love that you're looking into a 2nd opinion to see if there might be more helpful information.  You might post all this on the learning challenges board and see if the ladies there have tips about things you should ask, or if the 2nd guy might give you recommendations for what resources or methods would be appropriate for her.  AND I'm also glad because I thought telling you to come back in a year was rather, um, unfelpful.  (Am I remembering that part correctly?  Because I thought surely she would see you again to see how the meds were going or something....)

• Like 7

Mary, I love that you're looking into a 2nd opinion to see if there might be more helpful information.  You might post all this on the learning challenges board and see if the ladies there have tips about things you should ask, or if the 2nd guy might give you recommendations for what resources or methods would be appropriate for her.  AND I'm also glad because I thought telling you to come back in a year was rather, um, unfelpful.  (Am I remembering that part correctly?  Because I thought surely she would see you again to see how the meds were going or something....)

Oh, I've been posting on there. No worries. They are the reason why I even pursued testing. :) 

Yes, the psych said to come back in a year to do the testing again to see if there are any improvements. She does not prescribe meds. We are going to our ped for those on Wed, so we'll be following up with her to discuss how it's working. 

I wasn't really surprised by the year suggestion though. It's shocking that I've found 2 people to test her for a learning disability. They usually wait until later and dyslexia (which I'm suspecting Riv has) is not formally tested until 2nd grade. So, thanks to the girls on the Learning Challenges board, I knew going in that they would maybe test and more than likely wouldn't know anything definitive. 

• Like 6

Oh, I've been posting on there. No worries. They are the reason why I even pursued testing. :) 

Yes, the psych said to come back in a year to do the testing again to see if there are any improvements. She does not prescribe meds. We are going to our ped for those on Wed, so we'll be following up with her to discuss how it's working. 

I wasn't really surprised by the year suggestion though. It's shocking that I've found 2 people to test her for a learning disability. They usually wait until later and dyslexia (which I'm suspecting Riv has) is not formally tested until 2nd grade. So, thanks to the girls on the Learning Challenges board, I knew going in that they would maybe test and more than likely wouldn't know anything definitive. 

You are ON it!  :hurray:

• Like 3

Jean, I was watching the sun set over Manhattan from the top of a high building.

Hey Lynn, we were at the ocean today, too! Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. We had the yummiest lunch at a little hole-in-the-wall Russian cafe. We ordered 3 kabobs- chicken, beef, and lamb, potato dumplings, steamed pork dumplings (manti), and blintzes with smooth cottage cheese. We split everything. I ordered the savory blintzes but got dessert ones which was fine with me. Everything was awesomely delicious. And super inexpensive. We were the only people in there not speaking Russian.

We took the train back to Manhattan and explored around a little and had chicken/lamb combo plate dinners from The Halal Guys food truck. Also delicious and inexpensive.

I have just over 17,000 steps in today, so I'll donate 7000 to those in need.

We're watching a movie but I'm pretty sure I'll be asleep in 20 minutes.

• Like 7

Dd was supposed to go out for burgers with a friend but her friend bailed on her. So she called her mama and I took her instead. She ended up just getting an Oreo milkshake and I got a root beer float. I should have just gotten a root beer but I enjoyed eating the ice cream even if I'm regretting it a bit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Mr. Ellie and I have decided to go ahead and total our Dodge Gran Caravan and get another vehicle.

I love my Gran Caravan. It isn't, you know, sexy or anything, but it is *comfortable,* and--this is important--it is paid for.

:crying:

But it does make more sense to say good-bye to it and get another vehicle. Not a brand new one, but a good-quality (we hope) used one. So we went to CarMax today and looked around. Next week Mr. Ellie will go to the credit union and see how much we can finance. One hopes it will be enough to buy something bigger and newer than a Yugo...

• Like 9

Since I have nothing better to do, I'll just mention that Dancer technically only needs two more credits to graduate. But, also, technically she doesn't have all the right credits to graduate (a couple of things the state requires of ps students and mom agrees, like American history). So, next year will include two dual enrollment classes needed for her Patissiere certificate taken in the fall, personal finance for math (Dave Ramsey through VHG), American history a la Texasmama's schedule (revised according to what is available at our library), and English IV using IEW and American literature. I think this sounds reasonable. 

She should be wrapping up her other classes by the end of June: mythology study (English credit), culinary chemistry (by end of this month), ancient history cultural studies. We won't talk about math...

• Like 10

Good morning!

Yay for the beach and new-to-you cars and root beer floats and senior schedules and pirates and capes!

Renai, I am so impressed that dancer will have a professional certificate by the time she graduates from high school!

Ellie, we have been through that search many times and I hate it. My favorite used car ever was a Malibu Maxx which ds21 eventually bought from us. He can fit two double basses + gear and 2 people in it. ðŸ˜

I don't know why I wake up so early here; I want to get ready and go, but I'll let the others sleep in a bit.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8