Menu

Ignore this thread!

Because I know you are all dying to hear: Butterscotchius Rex has settled into his new life as the sole rooster among so many beautiful hens. He still gets fussy, but hasn't tried to kill anyone lately. As far as the hens go, he is the perfect Southern gentleman rooster. He courts everyone, but takes care of his smaller girls, and food calls for everyone when he's found a treat. And divides it up to give it as food presents to all the girls. He's quite the charmer despite having no tail.

Sounds like a keeper!!💕💕
  • Like 3

I watched another episode of Escape to the Country (on Netflix) again this evening.  This one featured a married couple and the wife had MS, so they really wanted to find a place with everything on the ground level or the ability to install a stair chair, and they needed things open enough to adapt to her mobility issues.  I don't know what the show people were thinking with the first two houses they showed them -- bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, and open stairs that are hard to add a stair chair to.  If someone clearly has a very real limitation why would you choose to ignore it, in hopes that less important features of the place would "win them over"?

I'd be grumpy about this anyway, but my recent knee issues have me really seeing things from the wife's point.

I've read before that in those type of shows, the couple has actually usually already picked out a house, it's under contract, etc. So they already own the house they're going to pick in the show. They only show the other houses for dramatic effect.

• Like 4

pus pocket?

I considered that possibility. However, considering the size and coloring gives me pause. I imagine if something was causing a thick sap-like pus, bright yellow in color, to form in her paw, then Mrs. Scout Rageous would have shown some sign of discomfort either before or during the removal. I believe a more likely scenario involves her stepping in some sort of candy or perhaps some of the local flora.

• Like 4

Do you know what is super weird? My post on that refuses to appear for me. I see Shpuds original post and everyone else's after it. But my post went poof from my phone.

Very strange!

• Like 1

I've read before that in those type of shows, the couple has actually usually already picked out a house, it's under contract, etc. So they already own the house they're going to pick in the show. They only show the other houses for dramatic effect.

This show has trailing commentary often saying if someone decided to place a bid on one of the houses.  Ofttimes they decide to keep searching further due to one thing or another (like planning permissions to make desired changes, someone beating them to it, or none of the houses shown meet their needs).  On this particular episode only the "Mystery House" offered the mobility accommodations she needed.  The buyers had already sold their flat and needed to move soon, so they were motivated.  But the "Mystery House" property had other issues (needed some work requiring hard-to-get permits or some such) which caused them to move on and continue looking.  This show, at least, isn't always setting themselves up for the look-at-the-magic-we-pull-off set-up.

• Like 2

My phone has been lost for the past 5 hours. :( I hope no one is trying to contact me. Oh, and the phone died, too.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Have you managed to find it yet?

• Like 1

G'day! Friday to be exact. Day 2 of testing for 11yo. Sitting around doing very little while he tests is exhausting. :svengo: :nopity:

Krissi, how's your Dad?

Not well!😢. He's been admitted to the hospital. He does sleep and he does close his eyes now, which is progress. When this whole thing started he didn't physically sleep for about 48 hours and they had to tape his eyes shut. He's on antibiotics and antivirals, but he still hasn't woken up mentally. I haven't gone up there to see him. I will try to do that tomorrow. We are taking it day by day. My poor mom is sick. She was on antibiotics for a sinus infection before all this started and she's not better. She's totally worn out. I've been taking her supper when I can.
  • Like 2

Not well!😢. He's been admitted to the hospital. He does sleep and he does close his eyes now, which is progress. When this whole thing started he didn't physically sleep for about 48 hours and they had to tape his eyes shut. He's on antibiotics and antivirals, but he still hasn't woken up mentally. I haven't gone up there to see him. I will try to do that tomorrow. We are taking it day by day. My poor mom is sick. She was on antibiotics for a sinus infection before all this started and she's not better. She's totally worn out. I've been taking her supper when I can.

Oh, no!  I'm sorry, Krissi. :grouphug:

• Like 1

Good morning. I slept in a little, but not as much as I had planned. It's going to be a long day. I need to get some lessons in, some house cleaned, some errands run, and some bags packed before we leave for San Antonio around 3. I probably won't get it all done, so first I need to coffee and list the priorities.

((Jean)) I hope you got some more rest.

((Susan)) April snuck up on you! We are already a week in.

((Renai)) Hope your phone turns up.

((Krissi)) I'm sorry about your parents. Hopefully your dad's treatment starts working more quickly and your mom is able to get some rest and recover.

((ITT)) Just because I love y'all.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 8

:grouphug:   I'm glad they admitted him.  I know sitting in the hospital is hard on your Mom, but it's better than having all his care on her shoulders.  I'm praying for them and for you.    

• Like 5

We've got a sick bird today--one of the older hens (not the new birds). She's been on/off not right for a little while, and not laying right. I'm pretty sure she has egg peritonitis. We are isolating her today and I'll see what I can do, but the outlook isn't good.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope they both improve soon.

• Like 1

Nope.

Copper, hunt-fetch!  Find Renai's phone!

(Copper was DH's family's dog.  He would be told hunt-fetch whenever MIL couldn't find her wallet.  He was a smart dog, and would often find it before being told -- often hidden away in her purse -- and go put it somewhere safe until she asked him to find it.)

• Like 5

In educational news, I believe I will switch the boys from CAP French to MP French for eighth grade. I like CAP (it's fun, not dry) but so far the retention has been pretty poor, even with reviewing the vocabulary and grammar daily. And I don't like the audio CD. It jumps tracks too fast, it's not easy to back it up for listening the second time and because the answer key doesn't have the lessons in it, I have to copy every lesson to know which audio tracks to play when and where. On a good day, it's irritating. On a bad day, it's almost intolerable.

I'm not looking for high school level French yet. Just exposure and general grammar.

• Like 1

We've got a sick bird today--one of the older hens (not the new birds). She's been on/off not right for a little while, and not laying right. I'm pretty sure she has egg peritonitis. We are isolating her today and I'll see what I can do, but the outlook isn't good.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Poor Henny.

Good Morning.

Not much going on here.  Yesterday was my last dose of Prednisone.  Let's hope my body behaves itself and doesn't go into withdrawal.

I think we're going to have a Creative Cooking course here today -- coming up with meals when you are missing major staples (meat, milk, bread).   :scared:

• Like 7

Good Morning.

Not much going on here.  Yesterday was my last dose of Prednisone.  Let's hope my body behaves itself and doesn't go into withdrawal.

I think we're going to have a Creative Cooking course here today -- coming up with meals when you are missing major staples (meat, milk, bread).   :scared:

We have been eating like that the past week or so (augmented with a Domino's delivery), and will likely do so for the next several days.  

Our fridge has gotten extremely cluttered, so I'm organizing it.  I bought a couple of fridge bins to see how they might work for us, and now I want to go get some more.  I've mapped out the fridge space on the back door (dry erase on the window) -- for some reason my brain wanted to play spatially again, and this is the result.  The bins will act like drawers, making it easier to corral and get to the many sundry small jars and things.

I had to throw away some stuff that was buried in the back of the fridge.  I did find other ingredients that are still good, and plan to make soup tomorrow.

• Like 2

11yo ds is taking a break to eat lunch.  One more subsection and then he's finished.  

I've been looking at options for my 13yo dd who will be 9th grade next year.  It is both depressing and exhausting.  She could potentially be out of the house every day of the week.  And she wants to try out for the local homeschool group's highschool girls' soccer team.   :svengo: Our state's sports governing agency doesn't allow its members to play non members, so homeschool groups are forced to travel a fair distance for many of their games.  I need to hire a driver, lol.  

• Like 3

I am going to attempt salmon cakes for lunch. I bought canned salmon at Aldi and discovered that "traditional" canned salmon contains skin and bones. It freaked me out a little so I bought bnls/sknls canned salmon. I know the bones are supposed to be very nutritious but I haven't worked up the courage for it yet.

• Like 3

11yo ds is taking a break to eat lunch.  One more subsection and then he's finished.  

I've been looking at options for my 13yo dd who will be 9th grade next year.  It is both depressing and exhausting.  She could potentially be out of the house every day of the week.  And she wants to try out for the local homeschool group's highschool girls' soccer team.   :svengo: Our state's sports governing agency doesn't allow its members to play non members, so homeschool groups are forced to travel a fair distance for many of their games.  I need to hire a driver, lol.  

Points for quoting myself. 

You know that part of the movie Tangled where Rapunzel is running around celebration her freedom one minute and crying over her guilt for running away the next minute - back and forth several times?  That's me - one minute I'm "Yes!  We can do it all!  We can pick the best of the best."  and the next minute I'm "We will only leave the house twice a week and everything else will be done at home at whatever level we can manage."  Blah!   :leaving:  :leaving:  :leaving:

• Like 7

***LOL Post***

(Background info:  We are teetotalers -- I have never had an alcoholic drink and we have never bought alcohol.)

The dc were trying to figure out what we could have to drink at lunch today.  We are out of milk and out of juice.

Dd9 piped up (loudly):  "We could have beer!"  We have a little bit of birch beer left over from a few nights ago.  She wanted soda (what kid doesn't), but it was so funny to hear her asking for beer with her lunch.  

• Like 8

Points for quoting myself.

You know that part of the movie Tangled where Rapunzel is running around celebration her freedom one minute and crying over her guilt for running away the next minute - back and forth several times? That's me - one minute I'm "Yes! We can do it all! We can pick the best of the best." and the next minute I'm "We will only leave the house twice a week and everything else will be done at home at whatever level we can manage." Blah! :leaving: :leaving: :leaving:

Maybe there's a happy medium. Do any of the classes/activities happen on the same day in the same area? You could leave the house twice but knock out 4 or 5 activities. It might make for a couple long days, but you have the rest of the week to stay home.

• Like 2

I watched another episode of Escape to the Country (on Netflix) again this evening.  This one featured a married couple and the wife had MS, so they really wanted to find a place with everything on the ground level or the ability to install a stair chair, and they needed things open enough to adapt to her mobility issues.  I don't know what the show people were thinking with the first two houses they showed them -- bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, and open stairs that are hard to add a stair chair to.  If someone clearly has a very real limitation why would you choose to ignore it, in hopes that less important features of the place would "win them over"?

I'd be grumpy about this anyway, but my recent knee issues have me really seeing things from the wife's point.

Preach it. One-story isn't even enough to truly be accessible--it's doorway width and countertop height and entrance from the garage and a long list of other things. Stair chairs are ridiculous...the user can't move laundry between floors or purchases (like toiletries) upstairs.  We ended up moving dd onto the main floor when she became fully wheelchair bound and she didn't even need to do grown-up things like laundry.

Hugs to you on your knee issues! 

• Like 2

Maybe there's a happy medium. Do any of the classes/activities happen on the same day in the same area? You could leave the house twice but knock out 4 or 5 activities. It might make for a couple long days, but you have the rest of the week to stay home.

The Happy Medium. She was in "A Wrinkle in Time"
  • Like 5

I am going to attempt salmon cakes for lunch. I bought canned salmon at Aldi and discovered that "traditional" canned salmon contains skin and bones. It freaked me out a little so I bought bnls/sknls canned salmon. I know the bones are supposed to be very nutritious but I haven't worked up the courage for it yet.

***faints***

salmon bones are choking and super annoying when stuck in your throat.

I buy the salmon patties from Costco and pretend I'm brave enough to make something with salmon.

• Like 2