Menu

Ignore this thread!

So far today, we've had a skinned knee, a twisted ankle, a change of plans, and a library late fee. I knew the late fee was coming, but still...

Even so, I am inexplicably cheerful. Today still has potential.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

We have had absolutely no class time today, though DD15 did work on her own on her studies.  DD12 got her Herbst installed at the orthodontist today, and now she has to learn how to hold her tongue so it doesn't get pinched, and to learn how to talk.  The Herbst will be in for a year.  She felt up to an errand run afterwards so we went to AFSA (poor selection of the size microwave I want -- midsize -- seems everything is either "family-size" monstrous or really compact) and picked up groceries and incidentals.  She has been run down and sweaty since we got home, so I kept her home from Aikido this evening.

The art teacher kindly gave us permission to use her kitchen tomorrow to heat up soup for DD12's lunch, since DD won't be able to eat the usual Lunchables we tend to pack.

I ripped out the Tunisian crocheting I've done for the third or fourth time and restarted it yet again after watching instructional videos again.  BOTH edges are looking mostly straight now, so I think I am finally doing it right.  If so I might be able to have MIL pass the ear-warmer headband off to younger SIL for me at Easter.  If it works I could make more for people for Christmas.

My knee mostly feels normal, but when I forget myself and let it straighten all the way while walking it tries to bend further in the wrong direction when I put my weight down, so I'm trying to train myself to keep the slightest bend in that knee at all times.

DD15 helped me clean up the kitchen table and the kitchen.  FIL is over routering stuff in the garage with DH.  FIL is building a table-type desk, and they use DH's router for carving decorations and cutting out pockets for joints.

I ordered pizza for supper.  DD12 can't manage it this evening and will eat soup, but I did order her a chocolate lava crunch cake and let her eat that first.  Last time I checked with her she was skyping with one very understanding cousin.

• Like 3

So I'm having a linguistic fit over something in Latin today. We are studying adjectives that "require" prepositional phrases to complete their meanings, and I'm having spasms about cupidus,-a,-um, because of the way it's translated. In English-you would say, desirous of, or desirous (eager) for. So in English, you can use the dative (for) with it. Not in Latin! No dative there. No way. Latin will not let you pass the buck to whatever you desire. No, no! In Latin always uses the genitive. You own it. Reflects the meaning right back on the person doing the desiring. And that just seems so cool to me.

Carry on. This educational post brought to you by geeked-out fantasy writer who has already had too much caffeine today.

This made me smile.   :laugh:

• Like 1

I think that this is the coolest thing ever.  http://makezine.com/2017/03/24/cat-and-mouse-armor/

Those are so cool!  I especially like the mouse armor with the lance.  They are all so intricate!

DD12, when I asked about how the lava cake was, said "it was a nightmare, but delicious".  Apparently it was difficult to eat and painful, but she really wanted it so she toughed it out.

• Like 2

Friend is still in critical condition.  They are running out of treatment options that will not kill him because of his unstable condition. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Well, I have some good news on my dad. He has a UTI. And UTIs can have very severe dementia-like symptoms in the elderly. So, they have him on antibiotics. He is not lucid yet, but he is sleeping off and on.

Hooray, a diagnosis and treatable!

That is so wild, that UTIs can have such an effect.

Strangler socks! Pedithreadia nigra, the most dangerous kind! 

No, I'm far worse. If I can't find out why, I'll deduct and dig my way to a why. Even if it isn't there. :laugh:

About the digging -- yeah, I do that, too.  Comes in handy in data management and archaeology, even geodetics.  Tends to annoy others to no end, though.  I suspect this tendency is why MIL gave me a t-shirt for Christmas that says "I have CDO.  It's like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be."

I wonder if anyone would notice if I rename our lonely sock box?  DD12, at least, might take even more notice once she hears about Pedithreadia.  Only problem is, she will adopt them all and add them to her stuffed menagerie....

• Like 2

DS has damaged a neighbor's property. It was a mistake, but not an accident. Neighbor is furious.

Crud. :/

He will be paying for it, of course, and is grounded, but I'm concerned about the relationship.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

PS - my 92 year old mother is learning how to email.  She's doing quite well, though she does tend to crack me up. 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Go, Mom!

A booya(h) for Jean's Mom, for continuing to learn new stuff!  Woohoo!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

Hello!

So busy here. I'm thinking of you all. :grouphug: and :wub:

I will try to check in as I can. It is crazy here, and I'm not feeling my best. However, I will carry on and get things done.

More :grouphug:

Hi back!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

So I'm having a linguistic fit over something in Latin today. We are studying adjectives that "require" prepositional phrases to complete their meanings, and I'm having spasms about cupidus,-a,-um, because of the way it's translated. In English-you would say, desirous of, or desirous (eager) for. So in English, you can use the dative (for) with it. Not in Latin! No dative there. No way. Latin will not let you pass the buck to whatever you desire. No, no! In Latin always uses the genitive. You own it. Reflects the meaning right back on the person doing the desiring. And that just seems so cool to me.

Carry on. This educational post brought to you by geeked-out fantasy writer who has already had too much caffeine today.

:svengo:

• Like 1

I am sure they taste fantastic. You couldn't possibly share the recipe, could you, or tips on how to get the meatballs to pack without cracking?

I do not have the recipe. The men in the back (who I believe are from the Kights of Columbus and blast Credence Clearwater Revival and make shrimp scampi for us workers to enjoy) won't share the recipe for the meatballs or the sauce. I don't know if there's a trick to packing the meatballs. We just smash it together and keep dipping our hands in water (Sister L.'s routine) and check to see if there are cracks before cooking.
  • Like 4

I am back from All The Things. I saw Venus (looks like a crescent moon right now) and looked at the sun and saw miniscule explosions that were actually 3X the size of the earth. Also saw a super cool "sun dial" ring and plan to get one for ds21's birthday. We lessoned and picnic-dinnered and orchestra-classed and now are snuggling up for the night.

Krissi, I hope your father recovers quickly!

Glad to hear Rocky is continuing to do better.

Whitehawk, I'm sorry about the neighbor-relationship strain - that's a hard one to navigate!

JJM, you'll get through it (both the bureaucracy and taxes)! Remember, you are an Elephant Ninja!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

Krissi, I'm glad your dad is going to be ok. I was thinking there was a "simple" illness that had those symptoms, but couldn't remember what it was, so thought it best to not mention what I didn't know.  :leaving:  I remember someone mentioning that in either this thread or a different one on the chat board about a year or so ago.

• Like 6

Good Morning - Wednesday!  We are meeting up with friends this morning and getting in some outdoor play time before the rain comes (hopefully).  Dh, ds, and dd get home this afternoon sometime.  They also hunted mushrooms while they were gone, so they're bringing back a cooler of them for me to fry up.  I don't mind doing it, except for cleaning and cutting them.  Every now and then you find a little surprise inside and that grosses me out.

Anyway.

Ikslo, you crack me up.   :laugh:

Susan, speaking of sun dials.  I was talking to my 11yo ds the other day about reading an analog clock face instead of a digital.  He said he can do it, but it takes too long.  I sighed over my obvious parenting failure.  And then wondered if the old timers felt their failure when the next generation preferred an analog clock over the sundial.  "Yes sir.  I can read a sundial.  It just takes so long."  And the skill of looking at a sundial and knowing the time immediately was lost.   :laugh:

• Like 8

Susan, speaking of sun dials.  I was talking to my 11yo ds the other day about reading an analog clock face instead of a digital.  He said he can do it, but it takes too long.  I sighed over my obvious parenting failure.  And then wondered if the old timers felt their failure when the next generation preferred an analog clock over the sundial.  "Yes sir.  I can read a sundial.  It just takes so long."  And the skill of looking at a sundial and knowing the time immediately was lost.   :laugh:

:D I heard recently that one of the first tests they give the elderly when testing for dementia and other things is to see if they can read an analog clock - it actually takes a good deal of mental skill to navigate the arms pointing at numbers that sometimes mean what they say and sometimes don't. Did you all tell me that?

We obviously need Slache!

I know. This is the longest Lent in history.

• Like 5

Good morning!

My worlds have collided - I realize now that I can't take dd18 to her All-State choir location tonight and also be at children's choir. And dd14 can't go to youth group and adult choir because she has to babysit the youngers while I'm gone. Sigh. We are going to have corn casserole with ham for dinner and that will make everyone feel better. :D

Coffee!

• Like 5

WA-CHOO!

WAA-CHOO!

WAAA-CHOOOO!

Morning weatherman comments:  You might hear things rustling and blowing outside today....

Oh, be quiet!  Stinkin' weatherman thinks he's funny.

Half an hour later I get another sneezing fit.  

Weatherman says, ...wind gusts up to 30 miles per hour...

Enough already!  I can't help it if I sneeze loud!

• Like 6

I do not have the recipe. The men in the back (who I believe are from the Kights of Columbus and blast Credence Clearwater Revival and make shrimp scampi for us workers to enjoy) won't share the recipe for the meatballs or the sauce. I don't know if there's a trick to packing the meatballs. We just smash it together and keep dipping our hands in water (Sister L.'s routine) and check to see if there are cracks before cooking.

Ask them to play Bad Moon Rising for me!

One summer I worked for the forest service archaeologist as a student assistant.  He had to go overseas for 3 weeks and I was left to hold down the fort.  I called the local radio station every day for 3 weeks during their all-request hour to ask them to play Bad Moon Rising.  It was funny to see the lengths they would go to to keep from having to play that song after the fourth or fifth time.

• Like 3

Good Morning - Wednesday!  We are meeting up with friends this morning and getting in some outdoor play time before the rain comes (hopefully).  Dh, ds, and dd get home this afternoon sometime.  They also hunted mushrooms while they were gone, so they're bringing back a cooler of them for me to fry up.  I don't mind doing it, except for cleaning and cutting them.  Every now and then you find a little surprise inside and that grosses me out.

Anyway.

Ikslo, you crack me up.   :laugh:

I have never hunted mushrooms and don't know anyone IRL who knows how.  What sort of surprises do you find inside mushrooms?

• Like 1

:D I heard recently that one of the first tests they give the elderly when testing for dementia and other things is to see if they can read an analog clock - it actually takes a good deal of mental skill to navigate the arms pointing at numbers that sometimes mean what they say and sometimes don't. Did you all tell me that?

I know. This is the longest Lent in history.

But what if the person doesn't know how to read a typical analog clock (never learned)?

My sister has a weird clock collection.  She has one "down under" clock she bought in Australia which is basically an analog clock that runs the other way.  She says after she put that one up she always has to stop and think when she looks at an analog clock or watch -- she has to consciously determine which way it is supposed to go before she can determine the time.

Medical personnel must be a little cautious when asking "determining" questions.  After my Aunt M had surgery the nurses were trying to determine when she was coherent again.  "Can you tell us your name?"  "M--"  "No, R--, what is your name?"  "M--"  "No, we need YOUR name, R--.  What is your name?"

My aunt went by her middle name, M, because she hated her first name, R.  The nurses never asked family what my aunt was usually called.  They didn't find out until they were expressing their concerns to family about how long my aunt was taking to come out of it.  Someone thought to ask them how they were determining whether she was coherent, and then explained about the name.

I must remember to tell SIL & BIL about this.  My SIL goes by one of her middle names.

• Like 2

I embarrass myself and my family when I sneeze. People have to look up to see if the roof is still there.

I get it honestly from my Dad.

When I was an early teen we were in the car waiting for Dad, who was visiting the (then very new wonder) ATM outside our bank to get some cash on a Sunday prior to going to brunch.  It was a cold day, but the pavement was clear and there was a boy riding his large tricycle around on the sidewalk.  As Dad started to leave the ATM he sneezed.  We heard him LOUD and CLEAR in our closed-up car half a block away, and when we looked over we saw the boy lying on the pavement next to his tipped-over trike, staring in fright at Dad and starting to cry.

When I had an office job I used to get Bless Yous and Gesundheits shouted down the hallway.  Once the others on the floor knew who was creating the racket I would get emailed Bless Yous and Gesundheits from people on the other side and end of the floor.

Don't get me started about the various reactions from security personnel when I would sneeze in the lobbies or open areas of buildings.  They got especially tetchy at one courthouse....

I need to warn the people at art class today.  We parents sit and visit near where the kids are arting, but behind the kids' backs.  I might have to exile myself outside to the nice patio with a view of the lake, just so I don't cause art disasters.

• Like 6

The Woot monkeys are being cute today.  One is having trouble waking up this morning, and the other remarked about how the first had binge-watched a lot of TV the night before.  The first says he thinks he needs to go binge-watch some sunlight.

I like the idea of binge-watching sunlight.  And waterfalls.  And clouds in a blue sky.  And trees swaying in the wind (real wind, not me sneezing!).  And lots of other stuff....

When we get to Chaco I want to binge-watch some stars.

• Like 3

Much to both girls' relief I have declared this morning a sleep-in morning.  Nonetheless, both are now up and abluting.  Once everyone is downstairs we will take whatever is needed for sinuses and sneezing. 

My cat clearly wants something.  I have managed to startle her quite sharply this morning, and she is STILL inside with an expectant air.  She has food and kitty treats.  She likely wants tuna.  I just might pull out the flea & tick stuff to put on her neck when I get out the tuna....

• Like 2

It was an extremely tough night with Rocky. He can lie around and sleep all day. I can't. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I was up at 4am because I thought I heard dd10 sobbing with a night terror. Turns out it was a coyote, probably sobbing because she couldn't get to our chickens.

We have cats howling. Male cats, I believe. Crying because all the girl cats are not interested.
  • Like 3