Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Tomorrow I leave for Tennessee. I'm going to be in North Georgia for a few days. Looking forward to it and hoping there are at least a few cicadas there. 

Today is packing, shopping, keeping everything working here while I'm gone. Gah.

So I am wondering about your route East - when we got to Memphis, we were totally surprised that the I40 bridge across the Mississippi River is totally shut down.  I know there is another way somewhere to get across the river, but it looked pretty messy.

On the bright side, they still put on the bridge light show at night.  So fun!

• Like 2

I have a new antibiotic and dd14 has 3 new guppies, 2 honey gouramis, and 4 aquarium plants.  I have committed myself to resting for a couple days re: UTI, but am having a hard time implementing the plan.

I need to cut some leukotape in the shape of the hot spots on my feet to put in my first aid kit.  

I have gotten to the "Backpacking Panic" stage in which I want to throw everything and the kitchen sink into my backpack, "just in case".  Fortunately, my base weight is only 20lbs, so I can afford a few grams worth of panic items.  (Leukotape is NOT a panic item - I will need it.)

Organic, pure cranberry juice is of the devil.

#asyouwere

• Like 3

I’m back!!! Had a really good talk with the shrink about DS’s evaluation. No surprises. Just a lot of great clarification. Basically, he’s low-average IQ and functioning at that level. He gave me some good ideas and it’s all good.

and I brought McD’s home for lunch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

So I am wondering about your route East - when we got to Memphis, we were totally surprised that the I40 bridge across the Mississippi River is totally shut down.  I know there is another way somewhere to get across the river, but it looked pretty messy.

On the bright side, they still put on the bridge light show at night.  So fun!

Yeah, I know. I haven't decided yet if I will actually take the north route or the south route. The bridge is an absolute catastrophe, and one I'm kind of up one because of DH's job. So we'll do our planning tonight to get me around it. 

• Like 3

Morning.  I don't think I made it on her yesterday.  I met with dd to work out, did some cleaning at the science center, then had three classes to teach.   Today I'm back to being lazy.  For one day only, next week I have to hit the ground running with all our summer plans.  

• Like 3

Monday morning I go to an orthopedic doctor to see if we can figure out what's up with my elbows.   They hurt a lot of the time.  Sometimes I get a day or two without much pain, but other times they hurt pretty constantly (I'm in that mode the past week or so which is why I called).  It seems like tendonitis but it hasn't gone away in almost a year.   It's particularly bad when I pick up things, especially reaching up for things.   It's worse on my right but that's my dominant hand so the one that gets the most strain, plus I have a bad wrist on that side from an old car accident injury so that probably means I use that side awkwardly sometimes.   I'm taking way too much Advil the past few days so I'm really hoping we can figure it out. 

I also made my other doctors visits that I've put off for the past year.   Except mammogram.  I tried to call and they say you can leave a message and they'll call you back where you were in the queue but then I never got a call back.  And they never answer the phone.  And they don't do online appointments.  So I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to get an appointment.   My doctor's office may be able to do it but I don't have that appointment until October and things are much easier for me to schedule over the summer. 

ETA:  Oh gee, a doctor visit booya.  

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!!

I have a little work to do. One last parent meeting.

Our weather has changed this week a bit. Much cooler and windy. My allergies are out of control. I am terribly dizzy.

Toto, I hope you are able to find some answers.

• Like 2

Found the hiking poles.  They are at the ranger station of the park we were backpacking in a couple weeks ago.  Sigh.  I arranged to pick them up on Sunday at the visitor's center.  It will cost less in gas to go get them than it would to replace them, even though they aren't super fancy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My next book in the Challies reading challenge, category: A book with the word "gospel" in the title or subtitle, is a novel called The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell.  It's a mystery that takes place in the Vatican in 2004.  I'm only on chapter 5 but it's good so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

My next book in the Challies reading challenge, category: A book with the word "gospel" in the title or subtitle, is a novel called The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell.  It's a mystery that takes place in the Vatican in 2004.  I'm only on chapter 5 but it's good so far.

Oooh, I need to get that. I haven’t read a book in that category yet.

• Like 1

I guess that it's very very early Saturday morning.  I hadn't gotten on ITT all day yesterday or today.  Today I was at the hospital for hours with dh while he had a routine colonoscopy.  It went well for him.  The doctor did remove a polyp so I'm glad that he finally went and got this done.  (TMI, I know but it's also a PSA on why they want us to do these things to begin with.  ) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm sorry, Susan.  Are you taking probiotics (spaced at least an hour after the antibiotic)? 

I've been eating probiotic foods, but don't have any "supplements" - those might be a little more effective, do you think?

At any rate, I'm going to try to see my PCP on Monday or Tuesday whenever she can fit me in and see what she has to say.  I would really like to minimize the need for a medical evacuation in the wilderness.  I'm not looking for that kind of adventure, Lol!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I've been eating probiotic foods, but don't have any "supplements" - those might be a little more effective, do you think?

At any rate, I'm going to try to see my PCP on Monday or Tuesday whenever she can fit me in and see what she has to say.  I would really like to minimize the need for a medical evacuation in the wilderness.  I'm not looking for that kind of adventure, Lol!

I take Renew Life refrigerated probiotics.  I like the "Ultimate Flora" one but there is also a Woman's one. 

• Thanks 1

While I was at my own personal agility training, one of my brothers texted to tell me that the Masters agility championship was on tv.  So when I got home, I brought Juliet in and we watched it together.  She really got into the dogs who excitedly barked their way through the course.  It actually made me smile because the barking was just like what happens at our agility class!  I have seen the agility competitions before on tv but it was nice to see it now with some actual experience doing it in class.  I was taking mental notes.  😉

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!!

church!!

It’s heating up this week. Supposed to be 114 by Friday. It was so pleasant last week. HIgh  70’s and 80’s. Nights were in the 50’s. Awesome sleeping weather. I hate summer.

We went to a graduation party last night. Had the graduate’s FFA project for dinner. Pulled pork sandwiches. That was a little creepy. 

• Like 5

Good morning!

I am at home.  Everyone else is at church.  Have to leave in a little while for the state park.  I am hoping I can get there and back in under 4 hours.  Also hoping that the park ranger remembered to bring my poles to the visitor's center.  Also also hoping that dh left the key to dd22's car here.  Otherwise I am stuck.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

I just finished Spanish church on Zoom.  We had a different preacher today and he speaks much more quickly than I can keep up with.  I understood the gist of what he was saying, but I missed a lot.

• Like 3

I got my trekking poles!  When I arrived at the visitor's center there was a sign up that said they'd be back in 15 minutes.  When they opened up again, a youngish lady in ranger uniform who had been sitting at the picnic table waiting for the center to open, got to the door at the same time as me and was holding my poles.  I think she must have seen something in my face because she asked if I was Susan and then handed them to me.  I am inordinately giddy over having them back, lol.

We are having a very informal, last minute, early Father's Day celebration tonight with pizza and dh's gift, which he went with me yesterday to buy - a U-bass with pickup.  It's a Very Pretty Thing.  Might have to do some ukulele playing tonight.

• Like 5

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Today Dd14 and I will be going through our lists and packs to see that we have what we need and know how to pack and organize everything.  We have to get covid tests, and I am going to see if I can get in to see my PCP for UTI risk mitigation.  Also we have to spray our clothes with permethrin spray.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Happy Monday.

Orthopedic doctor did xrays which look fine.  He's thinking nerve damage or pinching, possibly carpal tunnel, since I do get numbness and tingling, plus sometimes I wake up with my hand completely numb.   Possibly related to an old wrist injury - badly broken, classic air bag injury -  that wasn't treated ideally because I was pregnant at the time.  I have to go for a EMG nerve test.

Dh and I are meeting with the realtor for the business space about a disconnected, upstairs from our current space, space to get in addition to our current space (the really big space seems to be off the table at least for now).   The upstairs space would be either storage, or a classroom with some storage.   We have other ideas to do a third classroom but this would keep things from looking too crowded and since I teach mainly older kids (middle/high school), having it detached wouldn't be a huge issue.  There are two ways to get up there, one mainly inside and one mainly outside.  Once the year starts, people could just drop off their kids at the door to that space, although the lobby/waiting room (that not that many people utilize) and bathrooms would be in our main space.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

Time to get the week started!!

I got to see my mom and my brother and sil this past weekend for the first time since January 2020.  We did a distanced parking lot visit because not everyone is vaccinated yet.  My mom seemed surprised that the girls were still their happy selves.  And she was amazed at how much dd13 has grown!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!!

I have some work to do, but things are tapering off. Gotta get Master Agreements out for next year and a few other assorted thing, but summer vacation is on the horizon. We are still on duty until the end of June, but our tasks are limited.

It’s gonna get hot this week. Not looking forward to that.

Susan, I am glad you got your poles back.

Jeannie, sounds like Juliet is a very down-to-earth dog. Nothing high-brow or pretentious about her.

Toto, how exciting about your plans for the science center.

• Like 3

Dd14 and I officially do not have covid as per usual.  Dd12's braces look good and got tightened.  I forgot to pick up dd18 from work until she texted me, but fortunately it's only 5 minutes away.  Clothes have been sprayed against Bad Bugs and dd12 decided we should have loaded french fries for dinner, which she will make. By some miracle I was able to get an appointment with my PCP at 7am tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

French fries with Toppings - bacon, cheese, onions, sour cream, salsa - whatever sounds good to you.

Really, we should turn it into a poutine kind of thing.  Hmmmm...

#pointsforquotingself

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Wren said:

Monday greetings! I have been doing some of the things, including getting trained as a CERT and acquiring some gear.

Kitty doesn't seem to like Mondays. Every weekend, DH seems to have come to his senses and Retired to spend time in the living room (with Kitty!). And then on Monday, it becomes clear that all the Trainings still have not stuck. #tragic

Nice work!

Poor kitty!  Such a frustrating job.

• Like 1

Ooooh, I snuck on again. This must be my lucky day.  I finished reading “The Great Debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine and the Birth of Right and Left.” By Yuval Levin. It was a really good book but required a tremendous amount of thought to get through it. Took me a while to read it, but I am glad I stuck it out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

Monday greetings! I have been doing some of the things, including getting trained as a CERT and acquiring some gear.

Kitty doesn't seem to like Mondays. Every weekend, DH seems to have come to his senses and Retired to spend time in the living room (with Kitty!). And then on Monday, it becomes clear that all the Trainings still have not stuck. #tragic

Yesterday DH took a nap on our bed, where Cleo-kitty was napping as well. Now, when I lay down when she’s napping, she gives me a dirty look and leaves in a huff. But when DH lays down, she snuggles up to him and resumes her nap. And DH doesn’t even like cats.🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have been spending time on Fitbit (logging food as well as my usual steps and joined one group).  I keep seeing some massive overachievers with over 100,000 steps (apparently somewhere between 40 and 45 miles) for the DAY!  Apparently it is a thing in Overachieverland.  A land where I do not live.  And never will live.  But I did find and read an article by one 65 year old man who trained and did it.  And amazingly did not die.  (I, on the other hand, would surely die so I'm going to obey all ITT rules and will not even attempt it.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been spending time on Fitbit (logging food as well as my usual steps and joined one group).  I keep seeing some massive overachievers with over 100,000 steps (apparently somewhere between 40 and 45 miles) for the DAY!  Apparently it is a thing in Overachieverland.  A land where I do not live.  And never will live.  But I did find and read an article by one 65 year old man who trained and did it.  And amazingly did not die.  (I, on the other hand, would surely die so I'm going to obey all ITT rules and will not even attempt it.)

Average running is 180 steps per minute x 60 minutes an hour is 10,800 steps per hour average running pace.    Divide 100,000 by 10800 and that is 9 hours of non stop running.  😲   That's insane.   Is this like training and running a marathon once a year or is this something people are doing on a regular basis? 

I will never live in that land.  I will never live in a land where I have that kind of free time in a day.  Or even half that in a day to train.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1