Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Guess what guess what?

I have done the following today with little to no coughing:

• Unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher.
  • Cleaned the sink.
  • Brought laundry down and started it and then brought the hamper back upstairs.
  • Read a chapter of a book aloud.
  • Moved the laundry from the washer to the dryer.

I'm getting better! 🎉

Yay!  I’m so glad!

2 hours ago, maize said:

Appointment went well, his spine curvature is down from 15 degrees to 9 degrees--officially out of of the scoliosis range.

That’s fantastic!  So much good news!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Guess what guess what?

I have done the following today with little to no coughing:

• Unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher.
  • Cleaned the sink.
  • Brought laundry down and started it and then brought the hamper back upstairs.
  • Read a chapter of a book aloud.
  • Moved the laundry from the washer to the dryer.

I'm getting better! 🎉

Awesome!

4 hours ago, maize said:

Appointment went well, his spine curvature is down from 15 degrees to 9 degrees--officially out of of the scoliosis range.

More Awesome!

4 hours ago, ikslo said:

The Vitamin Shoppe?

Hmmm - could be...

• Like 3

I have a lot more laundry to take care of.  Particularly sleeping bags - easy but bulky and time consuming.  Otherwise I think I'll deal with the snack box and beverage box and then pillows.

Dd13 and I watched Kon-Tiki - the true story of a Norwegian explorer who was certain that the polynesians had come from South America and sailed from Peru across the Pacific on a raft to prove it. It's available on Netflix now.  I went to the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo just after the film came out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

How did you do this? ASD Boy has TWO curves in his spine! One between his shoulder blades and one lower down.

I've been giving him supplements--calcium, vitamins D as K, and 5HTP.

This based on the theory that the scoliosis was due to poor bone formation during a period of rapid growth so I ought to support healthy bone formation. Calcium of course is critical for that, and vitamins D and K assist. 5HTP is a precursor to serotonin, which it turns out is also critical in bone formation. I know from 23andMe that ds has double copies of a version of the TPH2 gene that doesn't work very well--TPH2 codes for a protein that helps convert tryptophan to 5HTP, which then gets converted to serotonin and later to melotonin. If he can't produce 5HTP he can't produce serotonin either, so supplementing the 5HTP seemed like a good idea; I strongly suspect that this disruption contributes to many of the challenges this kid faces--serotonin plays a role in so many things from anxiety to tic disorders to hearing acuity. I didn't know it was involved in bone formation until I started researching the scoliosis.

I also encouraged him to use inversion to allow his spine to stretch out.

I don't actually know of course if any of this made a difference or if the scoliosis would have improved in its own but it may be helping so I'm going to continue.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Really.bad.headache.  It was really bad when I went to bed at midnightish, but miraculously I was able to sleep until 5.  I've been up since then, trying to fight this thing off.  I think it's going to be a long day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Good morning!

I need to put away laundry today, and maybe re-organize camping gear.  I might put all the car-camping gear in bins in the garage and just keep the backpacking stuff in the house. There are more sleeping bags to be laundered.

Nothing else really planned for the day.  

Coffee!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Spudater said:

My grandma used to have a big ole bed of irises in the back so she would have plenty of fresh flowers for Memorial Day. 

My grandparents had a lovely bed of irises too.  So pretty.  My brother was able to take some to his house when they moved.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!

Our pleasant weather is over. We’re supposed to be heating up to 104 degrees this week.😩😩☀️☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Nothing planned for the weekend. Likely just housework and yardwork. I’ve got a couple books I’m looking forward to diving into.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

My grandma used to have a big ole bed of irises in the back so she would have plenty of fresh flowers for Memorial Day. 

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

My grandparents had a lovely bed of irises too.  So pretty.  My brother was able to take some to his house when they moved.

I love irises. We had a bunch at our old house. They would make such big, beautiful bouquets. We didn’t take any when we moved, but I did get some from my mom at Easter. I am managing to keep them alive.

• Like 2

Headache is still hanging around, but is under control for the moment.

While I second slept, we had several visitors (all outside, at least most with social distancing):

a sweet lady from church who dropped off a graduation gift for dd17

one of dh's coworkers came to drop something off

then he came again when he realized that he had forgotten something

and a black snake decided to hang out on our front porch for a while.

• Like 3

I'm being lazy.  It's gloomy and raining and even though I slept okay last night, I'm still tired. 

I've been weighing every day to keep a rolling 7 day average of gains/losses.  I've always thought weighing first thing in the morning would give the lowest weight.   So I weigh after my initial bathroom trip.   But the past few days I've also weighed after eating breakfast.  And I've weighed less after breakfast.  I don't understand how that could be.  It's more than a few ounces - over a pound difference.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm being lazy.  It's gloomy and raining and even though I slept okay last night, I'm still tired. 

I've been weighing every day to keep a rolling 7 day average of gains/losses.  I've always thought weighing first thing in the morning would give the lowest weight.   So I weigh after my initial bathroom trip.   But the past few days I've also weighed after eating breakfast.  And I've weighed less after breakfast.  I don't understand how that could be.  It's more than a few ounces - over a pound difference.   

It's the way you stand.

51 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Clearly, you’re not eating enough breakfast, lol. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I planted some plants and cleaned off the back patio. DH and I tried to go to Home Depot, but it was a nightmare and the line was long and I’m just like, “I don’t think so!” So, we went to Ace Hardware. They didn’t have miniature roses, but they had everything else. And there was no line. Ha!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I tried to do an Amazon return because I accidentally ordered a wrong book. They refunded me inside of an hour and they don't even want the book back. Huh? Now I have to figure out what to do with the book. Donate it to the local library?

I've got almost all of the books I wanted for the first year/textbook now and after using up our reward points and such, have only spent about $30 (on 15 books and a set of fraction circles for math.) I think there are only 3 more left to buy on my list. Yay!

What book is it?

Feeling very depressed right now. This baby is never going to come. Labor will suck. We will be stuck home forever and when the new normal gets here it’s going to be crappy. There is just nothing to look forward to. And I have eaten all the cookies. Insert screenshot of Eeyore here. 

It will all be over soon. The new normal won't last. All will be right eventually. I promise.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm pretty sure I'm standing the same way since the position of the scale pretty much requires it.   But I would LOVE to know a way I can stand and weigh less.  That is the dream.

It's a leaning thing. It took me forever to figure that out. You need to do it at the same time. Here's how I do it:

1. I drink the end of my water bottle so I've had the same amount of water each night.

2. I DON'T pee. Yes, peeing makes you weigh less, but you will pee a different amount based on when you drank your water. Pee before bed, not when you weigh.

3. Immediately after I wake up for posture consistency.

Edited by Slache
  • Thanks 1

Feeling very depressed right now. This baby is never going to come. Labor will suck. We will be stuck home forever and when the new normal gets here it’s going to be crappy. There is just nothing to look forward to. And I have eaten all the cookies. Insert screenshot of Eeyore here. 

Awww, Spuds. I’m sorry you’re feeling blue. I’ll send my Baby over to make you some cookies. She has some good recipes.... my favorite is carrots cake cookies with cream cheese frosting filling.

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Not much going on here today.

Online church/iglesia.

I have to find the fancy paper so that I can print dd17's diploma.

Still a headache.

The house is a mess.

And I need to find the keyboarding book.

Oh, and the summer/winter clothes swap needs to happen, probably tomorrow.

• Like 4

Ugh. Don't remind me summer is coming. I'm already contemplating taking the dog clippers to my head.

Morning. Camp Writing finished up last night. I was up past eleven getting stuff put in spreadsheets so I just have to check this morning before reporting that I'm all done.  It's supposed to rain all week here. Lots of thunder and rain.

• Like 3