Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

Toto, I am so glad all I have to do is correct biology tests.  There is NO WAY I would be able to teach it like you do!  That's an amazing work you do for your community!

So it looks like the tornado that went through The Big City started as an F2 on the west side of the city and stayed on the ground for over 50 miles, ending as an F4.  

I have to do volunteer hours at the tutorial today, which basically means sitting around as a hall monitor for several hours.  I'll bring my embroidery project to work on.  Hey Spuds, maybe you can join me and we'll work on our projects together?!?  After that is Road Trip to ds15's cello lesson.  I have orchestra rehearsal tonight.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

School & work. 
DD has an afternoon appoint,ent with the pediatric ophthalmologist. It’s a follow-up to a problem she had years ago. I wish he would just release her because he’s the only p.o. In the area and going to see him is generally an all day affair. Ugh!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Spudater said:

Have any of you dealt with a kid who just weeps every once in a while and can’t tell you why?  This is re the 9yo. 

Yes, normal, hormonal, whatever.

11 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

We had Taco Bell for dinner because we went to the gym, then had to go to home depot to pick up dirt, then went and got our taxes done.   I'm setting up a bone yard for forensics this week (anthropology).  Anyone have any other suggestions for what to do with a great big pile of dirt that's going to be in my classroom all next week?  It's on plastic in a giant box.  I'd rather it not get scattered around my whole classroom but it would be good to use it more than once.   We won't have time to undo it this weekend (class is this Friday) so it has to stay there all next week.   I'll cover the whole thing with plastic when it's not being used.

I will not start on my dislike for Taco Bell.

Big pile of dirt - what other ages will you have for the week? What are you studying? What kind of dirt is it? Does the dirt pile activity have to correspond to what they are studying, or will it be like an extra activity if they are done with whatever they are doing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Yes, normal, hormonal, whatever.

I will not start on my dislike for Taco Bell.

Big pile of dirt - what other ages will you have for the week? What are you studying? What kind of dirt is it? Does the dirt pile activity have to correspond to what they are studying, or will it be like an extra activity if they are done with whatever they are doing?

I teach 4 year olds up to 16 year olds.  Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Forensics (which is what the dirt is for), Oceanography and general science for little kids.    It's top soil with some mulch added in.   

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

EDPo: Analytical Grammar was a disaster! I bought the download version so I am out ~$70. Oh well. And I am annoyed my kids take like under an hour for school every day yet still complain how "hard" it is. SHEESH!

So how's everyone's day? Servie and Bookie have been quiet lately. I hope all is well. Slache not done moving yet?

We have perfect outside weather. My lawn guy came and mowed down the forest that was my yard. Payday so bills paid and we have some left over! Shocker! Good thing considering how much I spent at The Homeschool Store yesterday and will need to spend a little more, too. I need to do Costco/AFSA/Kroger shopping to fill the bare pantry/fridge lest I end up with a house full of bears! (I have brown hair so I can't be Goldilocks.) Guess I better get on it then.

We are not having any lessons until Monday now! This weekend we will do some gardening and sewing too. Tomorrow I am having a haircut as I need one badly. 

My metro area is on edge, with one COVID case (picked up in Seattle) and... pretty much radio silence, except one restaurant has made public that he dined there and they closed for a day for a professional deep-cleaning service to ensure the safety of others.

I think if (when?) we see a few more, a mass shutdown would completely make sense, but people don't want to be seen as overreacting. Close the schools and you affect ~100k households. And with Raleigh being the capital and county seat, the state, county and municipalities all have to decide which offices close and which will carry on essential functions (keep issuing marriage licenses? overseeing road construction? etc., etc.). I'm currently planning to continue to go to things unless I have more reason not to, except will attend church online as that's by far the largest group of people I interact with (I'd estimate 400 any given Sunday) and the one with the most people over 60.

DH works for one of the companies that produce some of the Supplies Everyone Wants to Have on Hand right now, which is interesting.They told people at another location, "You can have as much overtime as you want right now." I wish they would tell him to start working from home, since all his work is on computers.

DS wants you to know he wishes he could play in a video game tournament.

• Like 4

My county has the state’s first official case of the plague. They closed the schools for a deep cleaning.  I think most people are still too focused on the tornado aftermath to be too concerned about the virus at this point. 

Rehearsal got out early tonight and I’ve been hired to play for a musical - The Music Man. I love that one! 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

My county has the state’s first official case of the plague. They closed the schools for a deep cleaning.  I think most people are still too focused on the tornado aftermath to be too concerned about the virus at this point. 

Rehearsal got out early tonight and I’ve been hired to play for a musical - The Music Man. I love that one! 

I love Music Man. The kids’ school did that one last Spring and we went. It was so good.

• Like 2

I think we have one case here, but we are so close to NYC and people go back and forth so much that I'm sure there's more.  

I LOVE frozen thin mints and not frozen Samoas.  Samoas get too hard if you freeze them.   I buy the Keebler version because they're available year round.  

Three classes today including our digging in the big pile of dirt boneyard.   Then kids may hang out a little longer.  Tomorrow I'm going to a small conference as a vendor, then as soon as I get home dh and I are running down to his mom's house for his niece's baby shower that's on Sunday.   The kids are staying home with the dog and oldest dd will be spending the night with them.  

I've been feeling blah all week.  Stuffy, congested, wheezy but not too bad and I think it's mainly allergy.  Our screwed up weather is making it really bad this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good morning!  It's sleep in FriYAY!  Coffee time.

I like thin mints, but don't like to have them a lot.  GS cookies are overall very low on my list of desirable treats.

I love the Music Man.  My brother and SIL took me to see it at the Opera House when dh was in Iraq which was a really lovely thing to do.  It reminded me that I had emotions which I had been denying for some time.

Speaking of denial, I must face Mt. Washmore today.  As well as some graduation related tasks.  But first, more Coffee!   

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yeah, I saw the circle on the map this morning, and thought--that's close to Susan's place. 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!!

The only thing that got me out of bed this morning was promising myself that I can sleep in forever tomorrow, and even a few extra hours on Sunday (going to late service), if I just get out of bed NOW!!! Busy day today. Driving to the Big City to meet with an old family and meet and orient a new family. Then rush home, pick up DD from school, get her allergy shots, then come home and get DH and DS off to Man Camp (the reason I can sleep in forever tomorrow because DH won’t be around to wake me up. He tries hard, bless his heart, but he always wakes me up too early on a Saturday morning), and then an old friend is in town from out of state so she’s coming over to hang out.

The plague has hit our state and we are all GONNA DIE!!! Willy-nilly guy!! (Except me, because ITT Rules)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We went through two boxes in two days. Thin mints and those caramel coconut thingies. Oh my word. Svengo.

I don't actually like girl scout cookies - they taste like they have a chocolate-colored wax coating with a drop of mint oil in there somewhere.  Aldi sells "thin mints" and the peanut butter cookies - they taste much better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

We are going on a hike in about 15 minutes.  I think I may have discovered why my new trail shoes don't fit like my previous pair - I was going to switch insoles with my old ones to see if that made a difference and discovered that someone added an additional Dr. Scholl's insole underneath the regular ortholite insole.  I am hoping that without the extra insole, the new shoes won't be too tight for actual hiking and my feet won't feel like they are cracking in half after a couple miles.  (They are comfortable for regular walking/daily wear.) Fingers crossed.

The kids are playing music for the Old Lady Party this afternoon and I have a wedding music rehearsal tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is lots of plague in my state. 

😞 ITT rules still apply.

8 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I have no plague in my state, yet, but keep up with the maps every morning. 

In other testing news: end of day March 4, 10 tests were completed. By end of March 5, 16 tests were completed. Testing is obviously not a priority in NM. When I look at the US map, I can see there's a tiny corner at the top of NM where we can escape the plague..(we're surrounded by cases in every state but one, and Mexico...)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sorry I haven't been posting. I've been reacting, though.

I've been cleaning like crazy. Not sure if this is nesting or me trying to distract myself from being sad. You won't hear me mention him much (he's passed away), but I've been missing True Oldest a LOT lately. It's suddenly hitting me pretty hard that Youngest and Itty Bitty will never meet him. I find myself biting my tongue when others assume I know nothing about the trials of raising a teenager. I have to remind myself they don't know. 

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us; if you ever want to talk about him we will be happy to listen.

(((Hugs)))

• Like 2

I had string trio rehearsal tonight but actually had duet rehearsal because the cellist didn’t show up.  Especially annoying since she picked the rehearsal time.  No response to our text so not sure what’s going on.  I don’t really know her well.  If I can’t get in touch with her by Sunday I’ll have ds15 learn the cello part.

The kids played for the Old Lady Party. 2 of the songs were from Disney movies but I’m pretty sure no one was familiar with Wreck It Ralph or Moana!  😁  Ruby was there today - haven’t seen her for months!  The fire alarm went off for a while so that was exciting. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spudater said:

30 weeks!  Tater Tot is 3/4 of the way done!

Make sure to rotate and flip so the tater doesn’t stick to the pan!  I think if you stand on your head and spin around, that should do it.  Post video so we know you’ve done this.  Very important

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, Paradox5 said:

EDPo: Analytical Grammar was a disaster! I bought the download version so I am out ~$70.

EdPo Response:

Was for us as well.  Except we got it free off a curriculum donation table at co-op.  Now I know why they were giving it away.  Blech 🤮

ETA:  it’s an AG horror Booyah!  

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

NM is completely surrounded by plague, so now our escape route is blocked.

Doing last minute house prep to receive DH's mom who is coming in on a direct van this afternoon. I taught my last class this morning, and started packing that stuff so I can work at my mom's house. I want to do a last Walmart pick-up, which if I time it right, should be around the same time we pick up MIL at the same place. We also need to wash clothes. I bought new sheets for the bed, because... 

Gymnast and I are supposed to be leaving Monday morning.

• Like 4

I bought fudge stripe cookies at Aldi today - my cheap & easy “graham crackers and chocolate bars“ substitute for s'mores.  I ran into a friend in the parking lot who said Costco was a madhouse.  I don't shop at Costco, so maybe it's always this crazy the first Saturday of the month, but I expect it's at least partly due to The Plague.

I need to remember how to turn off auto-correct on this thing.  It's driving me nuts!