Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't go to the doctor unless I think I could die. I don't know if it's a virus or...? I'm almost done.

I said I wasn't moving. No sippers.

(((Slache)))  The good news is that because of the ITT rule, you don't have to go to the dr.  You're welcome!

2 hours ago, maize said:

I think we had six kids today in nursery and that feels like a large group.

I'm still hanging out there with the youngest kernel cause he isn't ready to stay alone. He's made progress though, he even ran across the room to retrieve a ball. Usually he doesn't go more than two feet from me.

People without high anxiety kids don't understand; I watched a brand new 18 month old come in today and go straight to the toys without a single glance back at her dad.

I don't have a lot of nursery experience, but I would be surprised to see any 18 month old go straight to the toys.  I know not all kids cry when they're left, so I guess some of them are like that (straight for the toys).  Ack!  I'm not saying this well - I'm not doubting your high anxiety experience, I'm just saying it also seems within the range of normal to not want to be left at that age?  maybe?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

(((Slache)))  The good news is that because of the ITT rule, you don't have to go to the dr.  You're welcome!

I don't have a lot of nursery experience, but I would be surprised to see any 18 month old go straight to the toys.  I know not all kids cry when they're left, so I guess some of them are like that (straight for the toys).  Ack!  I'm not saying this well - I'm not doubting your high anxiety experience, I'm just saying it also seems within the range of normal to not want to be left at that age?  maybe?  

It is normal certainly for 18 month olds to not want to be left, this little girl was definitely on the extremely low separation anxiety side. Lots of kids will cry for a few minutes or need a parent to stay the first few times.

My guy is 30 months old and has been going to nursery for a full year and is still not ready to be left. There were several months when he wouldn't even stay in the room with me there if there were other people. Like most of my kids he seems to have a lot of underlying anxiety but he is also still dealing with trauma from a hospitalization last year that left him extremely wary of people other than immediate family.

• Like 2

Our head nursery volunteer also told be that all her kids went straight in with no trouble.

She does seem to have accepted me being there though. She tried to coax Kernel to play with her and a couple of other kids last week; he got about half way to where she was then turned and ran back to me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Did anyone pass you some elderberry syrup? I hear adding a little vodka makes all the difference. I had never thought about it's potential as a preservative before. 😀

Ever since I started making vanilla a couple years back, we seem to have inordinate amounts of vodka in the house.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My son would go off with anybody from a very young age.  It was actually very nerve-wracking since he was also speech-delayed and a runner.   I still had to watch him close because his behavior/social skills lapse way behind, even now.

My bathroom is clean.  About 1/2 the laundry is done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

What sorts of things do you do? I know people who buy it by the gallon.

I make little bottles of vanilla.  And now I also make elderberry syrup.  That's it.  Once in a while we'll be getting low on vodka and I'll ask dh to pick some up and he'll get a giant bottle.  I have no other use for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have a really really overdue book.😩😩😩😩😩

A couple of years overdue?

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Is there a grace day? Like canned food or something?

No,but there are also no overdue fees, so...

3 hours ago, maize said:

I think we had six kids today in nursery and that feels like a large group.

I'm still hanging out there with the youngest kernel cause he isn't ready to stay alone. He's made progress though, he even ran across the room to retrieve a ball. Usually he doesn't go more than two feet from me.

People without high anxiety kids don't understand; I watched a brand new 18 month old come in today and go straight to the toys without a single glance back at her dad.

Yeah, I get it.

Gymnast will be 9, and only now can I leave her at the part day school. If I'm a couple of minutes late picking her up, she's on the verge of tears (the first time she did cry). She may meltdown once she's in the car because she dislikes crying in front of other people.  Anywhere else, she refuses to go unless she knows I'll be with her. Not in the vicinity, but there. I'm in the Chinese classes with her most of the time, but will let her know if I need to go take a walk. If I'm too long, I'll catch her peeking around the corners looking for me.

It's actually a lot better than it used to be, though. I used to not be able to go to the bathroom without her looking for me...

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I make little bottles of vanilla.  And now I also make elderberry syrup.  That's it.  Once in a while we'll be getting low on vodka and I'll ask dh to pick some up and he'll get a giant bottle.  I have no other use for it.

White Russian.

24 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

EDPO:

I need permission to have The Girl skip the Saxon problems she knows which is like most of it, at this point. But I'm worried if I do that she might miss something. I never knew Saxon was SO SLOW at introducing things. Oh. my. word. already! She is on lesson 60 and it just covered multiplying 1 number by 2! No fractions yet. WAAY too much adding and subtracting. Seriously, she and I are about to spit nails. She is NOT advanced but catches on fast. She probably could have been except for Bad Mommy changing programs so much and being too much of a rule follower to just skip things without worrying about it. 

Maybe grab a used BJU book and skip all the stuff she knows? I swear, any more "This is how we add." will make us both scream. It is rather insulting to her intelligence.

Maybe what I need is a list of topics usually covered in 4th/5th grade math and teach it myself. I like teaching math, and am rather good at it. Y'all have any ideas to save her and my sanity?

Meanwhile, the boys love it. Go figure.

I started in 5/4 because K-3 was just no.

18 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

And why do we traditionally wait so long to cover some of these math topics anyway? Waldorf covers all 4 operations beginning in first grade with cute little gnomes and stories. I feel I need a math-over. 

BTW, she loves the algebra problems (missing numbers) problems in Saxon. LOVES THEM! Just thought I would share.

Yeah, we covered the 4 operations, fractions, square roots and all kinds of things really young. Mostly through play.

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I got accused of coddling my kids and being too hands off with my kids- by the same people. 

Yep! And that my kids are advanced but will never thrive academically. Thanks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

EDPO:

I need permission to have The Girl skip the Saxon problems she knows which is like most of it, at this point. But I'm worried if I do that she might miss something. I never knew Saxon was SO SLOW at introducing things. Oh. my. word. already! She is on lesson 60 and it just covered multiplying 1 number by 2! No fractions yet. WAAY too much adding and subtracting. Seriously, she and I are about to spit nails. She is NOT advanced but catches on fast. She probably could have been except for Bad Mommy changing programs so much and being too much of a rule follower to just skip things without worrying about it. 

Maybe grab a used BJU book and skip all the stuff she knows? I swear, any more "This is how we add." will make us both scream. It is rather insulting to her intelligence.

Maybe what I need is a list of topics usually covered in 4th/5th grade math and teach it myself. I like teaching math, and am rather good at it. Y'all have any ideas to save her and my sanity?

Haven't used Saxon but I habitually cross off half the problems in Math Mammoth.

So yeah skip.

Skip ahead until there is a lesson that teaches something she doesn't already know, then start crossing off unneeded practice problems.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

EDPO:

What level of Saxon?

We use 5/4 through Advanced Mathematics.  (The dc are currently in 5 different levels of Saxon).

I know Saxon is designed to do all.the.problems, but for sanity's sake (because I want to survive homeschooling), I will often assign just the practice problems of a lesson.  For instance, this week dd9 is doing 5/4 Lesson 87 (all), Lesson 88 (practice), Lesson 89 (all), and Lesson 90 (practice).

Edited by Junie
edited because I skipped lesson 89...
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I wish I could teach Singapore Maths. i have tried quite a few times. I just could not get it to make sense to me then. Now I feel like it is too late for her.

Agree with you there! It is a major reason I didn't start with it. 

I need this on a poster in my schoolroom.

She is doing 5/4 without tests and skipping the Warm-Ups. But she is 11!! I need to speed things up. 

We don't do the warm-ups either, and we don't test until around Algebra 1/2 or Algebra 1.

I would totally let her skip problems and maybe even whole lessons.  We school year round, so my kids don't need the review at the beginning of each book.  I usually sit down with them and ask them if they know how to do Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc.  When we come to a lesson that they don't know how to do, I will assign the practice problems, then ask about the next lesson.

For your dd, I would absolutely just have her do practice problems if you suspect she already knows it, or even give her an oral assessment.  Such as, dd, what is the answer to problem c.  Problem d?  Problem k?  Ok, you got them all right.  Let's move on...

• Like 1

But I would definitely skip problems and move through things faster if they were already known or it's just too much practice.   I found with my daughter that 4th, 5th and 6th grade math basically were just the same things each year, just slightly harder problems (bigger numbers), then "pre-algebra" did it all over again.    My daughter actually does need that repetition, but my son was bored out of his mind.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I wish I could teach Singapore Maths. i have tried quite a few times. I just could not get it to make sense to me then. Now I feel like it is too late for her.

Agree with you there! It is a major reason I didn't start with it. 

I need this on a poster in my schoolroom.

She is doing 5/4 without tests and skipping the Warm-Ups. But she is 11!! I need to speed things up. 

Can you just do the tests until she starts getting a certain percentage, like 75-80%? Then start at that chapter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

But I would definitely skip problems and move through things faster if they were already known or it's just too much practice.   I found with my daughter that 4th, 5th and 6th grade math basically were just the same things each year, just slightly harder problems (bigger numbers), then "pre-algebra" did it all over again.    My daughter actually does need that repetition, but my son was bored out of his mind.  

True!

8 hours ago, Renai said:

Can you just do the tests until she starts getting a certain percentage, like 75-80%? Then start at that chapter.

I was thinking the same.

7 hours ago, Slache said:

CLEAN SHEETS!

Yay!

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I hit my food goal. 

Yay!

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am exhausted. We had our Sunday School class over for dinner. It was good, but as Baby so aptly put it.... “They used me up.”

That describes it exactly!

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Step goal met. 

Day 11 logged and accounted for. 

Double Yay!!

55 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Morning. Not feeling great still but dishes are done and breakfast has been eaten by all the eaters.

(((Servo)))  Trophy for breakfast dishes!  🏆

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm outta likes, btw.  And waiting on coffee.  Back in the swing of things today after a 3 day swim meet.  And one has an orthodontist appt.  which does not bode well for getting laundry going again.  Which begs the question - what's more important, clothes or towels?  😜

Clothes. Unless you want to wear a towel all day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I have my left arm in a sling to keep me from using it.  This is going to get annoying real fast.

I need to make a campsite reservation today.  Hopefully I can get it done on the PC before the kids start their lessons - I hate trying to do those kinds of things on my phone.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My neck is hurting again.  Same place as the first time. Going to walk more today to loosen it up before it gets worse. 

Lots of drafting planned for this week. Next week is busy with a lot of work, the holiday, and a birthday for the turtles. They will be 16! And yet, I still have my hair.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!

I am dreading this week and I need to stop. Scheduling family visits this Learning Period was extremely difficult and I will be seeing 15 families Tuesday-Friday. And these people are very nice and the visits are all very pleasant.... I don’t know why I dread this. I think it’s because I would just rather be home. And I hate leaving the little girls home. They are fine. There are two of them, middle DD is almost 11 and they are generally only home alone about an hour or two before oldest DD comes home from school. We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood and my mom lives 5 minutes away. But I feel guilty. And my job is just overwhelming. Everyone tells me the first year is horrible, it gets much better in year two, and I believe it, but I still need to get through this year.

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

After reading some threads last week, I feel like I need to try to put more effort into homeschooling.

I kind of had to regroup because this autumn has been kind of crazy.  I almost never travel, but this fall I have taken 5 overnight trips to 5 different states.  I think. Now I'm home and I need to get life put back in order.

Dd17's homeschooling was my main priority so far this year.  She is on track to graduate in May.  Last night I finished writing out her assignments for the rest of the school year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I hope everyone who is feeling sick, achy, or down feels better soon.

Happy Monday!   The sink at the science center is clogged.  Drano isn't working so dh has to snake it out later today.   I'm keeping things clean and dry with my classes today.  Which won't be hard, one is study skills which is already paper based.  One is Physics and were doing some spring tests so not too messy there.  One is a Junior Science but I decided we'll do some programming so that will keep that one neat.  Hopefully dh gets it fixed today because I can't go on like that all week.  At some point I'll have dishes to wash.

• Like 1

It's interesting how kids vary on the nursery thing. I was a "straight for the toys" kid. DS, no way. I remember his three-year-old check-up. His ped was going down the checklist (car seat, food groups, dental care) and she got to stranger danger/good touch, bad touch. He was behind me clinging and crying because she (very nice lady, same ped he'd had since birth) was in the exam room with us, and she had to speak up so I could hear her. I was like, "I don't really think he's going to wander off with somebody at this point...." DH went with him to Sunday school every week for the 4s and kindy classes.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

I completely failed in every aspect of my life this year so I'm doing the Bible in a year next year so I don't have to plan or think. I'm trying to transition out of surviving into thriving. I want a treadmill.

I don’t think you did, Slashie. You are alive, your family is intact and from what I can tell, reasonably happy and healthy. You seem to have maintained your humor and sensibilities. You’ve had some big changes and some difficulties, but overall, I think you have done very well!!

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I don’t think you did, Slashie. You are alive, your family is intact and from what I can tell, reasonably happy and healthy. You seem to have maintained your humor and sensibilities. You’ve had some big changes and some difficulties, but overall, I think you have done very well!!

What she said.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I did this a couple years back and chose to read the Bible in chronological order and learned soooo much.

I did this when I injured my back. I did the Bible in 90 days in chronological order. Whew!

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

:wub:

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

What she said.

:wub:

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Clothes. Unless you want to wear a towel all day. 

Good point.

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Neither! Resetting your reactions! Where's your priorities? 😂

Brilliant!

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

In reality, I think I agree with this but for a different reason. I like to get all the hard to fold stuff done early because I'm picky about how things are folded. I'd save the "no brainer" easy to fold stuff for later so if needed, anyone can help fold them when I run our of steam.

Actually, even more brilliant!!!

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

People use me up every day!  Lol!  That's why I have to say I can't listen anymore at 8pm.  

Same.  But can I be done at noon?

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Sheesh, people, why aren't we all taking a vacay to the Island this week? Seems like we're all a mess!

Wait, there's a qualified, natural birth supporting OB on staff, right? (One that will give me drugs when I decide this whole natural birth thing is a crock, which always happens right around transition.)

Yes for the Island!  Yes to drugs!  

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

After reading some threads last week, I feel like I need to try to put more effort into homeschooling.

I kind of had to regroup because this autumn has been kind of crazy.  I almost never travel, but this fall I have taken 5 overnight trips to 5 different states.  I think. Now I'm home and I need to get life put back in order.

Dd17's homeschooling was my main priority so far this year.  She is on track to graduate in May.  Last night I finished writing out her assignments for the rest of the school year.

That's a lot of traveling!  Yay for senior year planning!  Trophies!!!  🏆🏆

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

I completely failed in every aspect of my life this year so I'm doing the Bible in a year next year so I don't have to plan or think. I'm trying to transition out of surviving into thriving. I want a treadmill.

I want a treadmill and a dedicated room for it.  And a mud room.  And a laundry room.  And an extra bedroom.  How did we get from failing to renovating my house?  You're not failing - it's a wonder you don't have PTSD from all you guys have done this year.  If it makes you feel better, I don't think I can claim progress in any personal category, and I don't even have little ones anymore.  Well, maybe I've grown in "acceptance."  😂  I'm not sure that's the one I should be shooting for, lol.    

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!

I am dreading this week and I need to stop. Scheduling family visits this Learning Period was extremely difficult and I will be seeing 15 families Tuesday-Friday. And these people are very nice and the visits are all very pleasant.... I don’t know why I dread this. I think it’s because I would just rather be home. And I hate leaving the little girls home. They are fine. There are two of them, middle DD is almost 11 and they are generally only home alone about an hour or two before oldest DD comes home from school. We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood and my mom lives 5 minutes away. But I feel guilty. And my job is just overwhelming. Everyone tells me the first year is horrible, it gets much better in year two, and I believe it, but I still need to get through this year.

You can do it!  The girls will be fine and they will enjoy the opportunity to be more responsible.  You're doing a great job!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I want a treadmill and a dedicated room for it.  And a mud room.  And a laundry room.  And an extra bedroom.  How did we get from failing to renovating my house?  You're not failing - it's a wonder you don't have PTSD from all you guys have done this year.  If it makes you feel better, I don't think I can claim progress in any personal category, and I don't even have little ones anymore.  Well, maybe I've grown in "acceptance."  😂  I'm not sure that's the one I should be shooting for, lol.    

You have like 4 extra rooms that we all talked about after leaving that none of us know what they're for. Use one of those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Slache said:

You have not. Stop it.

Dh mentioned wanting me to look up treadmills...thanks for the reminder...🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1