Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.  It's Monday.   A crappy, super tired, why did I have to get out of bed Monday.

We had a huge storm come through last night.  Hours of torrential rain, thunder, lightening.  Trees out everywhere.  Nobody slept well.  Then power went out around midnight.  No power means no running water in my house.   We headed over to the science center early since there's power there (so wifi and water and flushing toilets) and since dh is still down with his mom (her kidneys seem to be failing from some of the medications but they can't stop them due to the issues they are taking care of) and it was already going to be an extra long day of the dog being home alone, I brought the dog with me to the science center.  So I'll get to walk him between every class and hope he doesn't pee anywhere in his excitement at all the people.   The good thing is all my classes today are older kids.  Youngest in any class is 10 1/2.  That will make it easier.

Oh yeah, and the kids and I have really really bad allergies or colds or who the heck knows what.  I'm holding out for allergies. but it's still miserable.

Also around midnight, oldest dd texted me because she hates her job, she's working 60-70 hours a week because they don't have enough help and she's the manager.  She can't get anyone interested in the job part time, corporate won't allow her to hire anyone full time and one of her managers below her is talking about quitting.  She'll need a job that pays the same but she has a degree, knows word and powerpoint, so she has other options since she can work a Monday to Friday full time schedule now since all her classes are in the evenings.   So, I told her to start looking and I'd send her some links.   And she's not sure she wants to continue with her degree.  She likes the subject and finds it interesting but she's not sure she wants to do it as a career long term.  She'd like something a little more creative.  So I told her to take the summer to look into her other interests and then decide when she has more information.  Main thing I told her is don't make any irreversible decisions until she's sure.  Thankfully that's not too hard with summer coming.

• Like 7

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible migraine.  In a dream, I was scrolling through ITT posts.  For some reason, everything was all on one page, so I could just scroll and scroll and scroll.  I realized at some point that while I was pushing the down arrow on the keyboard to scroll, my head was starting to hurt (in my dream).  And the further I scrolled, the more it hurt.  The pain was getting unbearable and I was trying to let go of the keyboard.  I finally was able to remove my finger from the keyboard and when I did I woke up with one of the worst headaches I've ever had.

Dh brought me a Coke (caffeine) and a bowl of Cheetos (because I can't take meds on an empty stomach).  After my 2 am snack I took Tylenol and a shower and felt much, much better.

I overslept and now I have to try to get rolling on a Monday...

• Like 6

Bookie! ❤️

This week and next should be easy around here. I think we'll even be able to do a field trip to an aquarium on the coast. I have brownies in the oven right now.

[edpo] I finally found a biology text at the right level for next year; I'd bought Campbell's (used) to look at & love the way it uses evolution as a unifying thread, but it's too technical for DS right now. We'll use Holt's Modern Biology instead. [/edpo]

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Good Monday Morning!  The morel mushroom hunters are home from their camping trip.  Let the laundry begin! 

Also, the calendar is starting to have a lot more open space.  yay.

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

It looks like they did!  (They're all still sleeping - got in around midnight.)

DINNER AT LYNN'S HOUSE!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our new postman blasts music in his postal truck.  Today it was opera at full volume.  I get a kick out of it.  He rang our doorbell to deliver a package and Juliet didn't eat him.  (This is progress.) I thought of putting a poster out front that keeps track of the days since the last "dog incidence"  Do you think that it would scare of solicitors if it says "Zero days since last dog incidence"?!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our new postman blasts music in his postal truck.  Today it was opera at full volume.  I get a kick out of it.  He rang our doorbell to deliver a package and Juliet didn't eat him.  (This is progress.) I thought of putting a poster out front that keeps track of the days since the last "dog incidence"  Do you think that it would scare of solicitors if it says "Zero days since last dog incidence"?!!

Love it!  Do it!  ❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Growing big! Reader is 9 now, and entering tween territory. It's been a ride. Any advice/book recs?

Runner is asking for martial arts lessons, and I think the discipline will be really good for him. He's the most like his dad, personality-wise. (I'm also on the look out for a social skills/healthy relationships kind of curric, for him and the other kids.) He does really well when I keep him super physically active, less so when we're less active.

SuperDude had made huge strides with his speech. It's almost impossible to actually get special ed services in my county without taking the school district to court (and that's for an enrolled kid, much less a homeschooled one) and we can't afford private services, so I bought a book called Super Star Speech to use while I'm winding through red tape. It's written by a speech language pathologist for parents to use at home. 

Squishy is 2, and is everything that it implies. He's adorable and infuriating. And he gives the best kisses.

:wub:

Tweens are all so different!  On a daily basis!  :laugh:  My overall favorite book(s) on this and maybe any age is "How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen (And Listen So They Will Talk)" and it's companion, "Siblings Without Rivalry".  YMMV.  

• Like 2

Good Afternoon!!!

I'm here!!!!! My stupid iPad doesn't let me log on to the Boards anymore, so I can't do my usual morning ritual of COFFEE!!!!! and morning check-in. I have to come to the regular computer in the office which is totally butt!!!!

I had a trans-"down there" ultrasound this morning, which was as exciting and enjoyable as it sounds.  Since I told my doctor I was not going to do the $10,000 D&C, "what is plan B?" she said to wait and do an ultrasound in 6 months, which is what I did today.  So, we will see what the results of that are.  Now, we are working on cleaning out the rooms for the carpet layers to come tomorrow. Bleh!!!!

Bookie, I am so glad you stopped by. Sounds like things are looking up and congratulations on the new little one!!!!!! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Afternoon!!!

I'm here!!!!! My stupid iPad doesn't let me log on to the Boards anymore, so I can't do my usual morning ritual of COFFEE!!!!! and morning check-in. I have to come to the regular computer in the office which is totally butt!!!!

I had a trans-"down there" ultrasound this morning, which was as exciting and enjoyable as it sounds.  Since I told my doctor I was not going to do the $10,000 D&C, "what is plan B?" she said to wait and do an ultrasound in 6 months, which is what I did today.  So, we will see what the results of that are.  Now, we are working on cleaning out the rooms for the carpet layers to come tomorrow. Bleh!!!!

Bookie, I am so glad you stopped by. Sounds like things are looking up and congratulations on the new little one!!!!!! 

What's that yoga again? Sorry.

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yoga for the Inflexible.  Imma try it, though my knees will squawk loudly right off the bat.

I'm bummed! We don't have it. I'm going through the new library's DVDs. Our old library had a lot of Beachbody programs but this one has all kinds of different things. I got a yoga DVD and it was... let's say... not on my skill level? Yeah, working out while the kids ask me why I'm not doing what's on the screen is my favorite thing.

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Also, I forgot to add that Baby Cheeto is so named because in the 8 week ultrasound we had done, s/he looked just like a Cheeto, not because I'm craving Cheetos. I can't even remember the last time I had a Cheeto. My cravings so far have been any kind of fruit and this super yummy skillet bowl (hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage pieces, and cheese, topped with sausage gravy) that my local diner makes. Maybe I should call him/her Baby Country Skillet? 

My eldest was nicknamed squishy because we watched Finding Nemo while I was pregnant and when Dory found the squishy I cried because I was hormonal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet is the most jaded suspicious 1 year old that I have ever met.  She thinks that everyone is a potential ax murderer.  Except for us, of course.  We are her favorite people and can do no wrong. 

You are her flock of humans and must be guarded and shepherded at all times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I was so inflexible (and in pain) at one point that I could not even touch my knees.

The first time I ever touched my toes was in boot camp. I have freakishly long legs and freakishly short arms so even when I was running track and in basketball I was not able to do it despite daily stretching. I was so excited the first time I did it that I nearly cried. I could do it for a while afterwards but lost the ability. I was working my way back there when I injured my back. Now I want it back! I have even gotten to the point of being able to do other strangely flexible things, but not touch my toes because of the length of my legs. It's not fair! And buying pants is total butt.

• Like 4

I had the weirdest dream last night. I don't remember everything, only the part where I and gymnast were lounging on the porch outside as the sun was going down. i was doing some prints to make a picture with her. Someone came out of the house (note, I do not live in a house and don't have a wooden porch) to go to their car and commented, "Is it safe to stay out here?" I continued what I was doing, because I had rather stay out than in, then thought better of it and decided to go inside when I second person came and mentioned safety. I opened the door to go inside and dh was there with a belt to spank me. And there it ended. (Note, dh has never laid a hand on me.)

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I had the weirdest dream last night. I don't remember everything, only the part where I and gymnast were lounging on the porch outside as the sun was going down. i was doing some prints to make a picture with her. Someone came out of the house (note, I do not live in a house and don't have a wooden porch) to go to their car and commented, "Is it safe to stay out here?" I continued what I was doing, because I had rather stay out than in, then thought better of it and decided to go inside when I second person came and mentioned safety. I opened the door to go inside and dh was there with a belt to spank me. And there it ended. (Note, dh has never laid a hand on me.)

2 hours ago, Renai said:

For some reason, when I woke from the dream, I felt stressed about jury duty. I still feel stressed about jury duty...

I think you need a trip to the island - no dh and no jury duty!  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had chicken pot pie for dinner. I found a really good recipe on Allrecipes.com.  And strawberries. My poor strawberry guy. We had over an inch of rain this weekend. Highly unusual for this time of year. All that rain is not good for strawberries. I was talking to him today when I bought some. I felt bad for  him, but he was pretty philosophical about it.  I like him. I've been buying from him for years.

• Like 5

So, my GP got the results of my ultrasound today. Lol. That was quick. See, this is why I love my GP. She called me this afternoon. Everything looks good, says she. Very normal. Nice ovaries.  I guess that goes along with my beautiful cervix.  I'm just curious as to what my Gyn is going to say. I have an appt. with her in a couple of weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Are you so proud of me?  I haven't once complained or scowled or griped over the fact that one of our hammock quilts is still missing.  Every member of the family has searched for it high and low.  It is essentially a bright blue and gray sleeping bag with bright yellow ropes coming out of each side.  Not easy to miss, unless a certain family member did as is his/her habit and threw it into the pile of stuff in Garage of Doom, promising to "take care of it later".  

As it currently stands, I am done with my camping prep responsibilities.  All food is made/organized/boxed, 95% of the gear is packed, my own bag is packed and the bags of 14-and-under-year-olds have been double checked.  Imma take a shower.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm planning to plant corn today. I bought seeds for a red variety of sweet corn and also a purple variety that Is more of a popcorn type by the look of the seeds but is supposed to be good to eat like a sweet corn when immature.

• Like 5