Menu

Ignore this thread!

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The last two booyahs have been missed. 

Yeah, I think we really need to have a retreat at the Island. Things have been getting kind of slack around here and I think we really just need to have some bonding time and go over our goals and expectations over foot massages and cold drinks with umbrellas in them. I’ll call Rocco and get him on that right away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Dh and gymnast got the laundry done at the laundromat, so there's bags waiting for me (us) to put away. I stayed home and pretended to work by cleaning under the sofa (how does so much stuff get under there anyway?????), snacking on mini Chips Ahoy, and working on book covers for the copywork series. Ignore the part about the mini Chips Ahoy, I washed it down with water, so it's okay.

• Like 3

Tomorrow I am off to see The Wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz.  He's on the other side of The Big City, so depending on rush hour traffic it will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get there and an hour to get back.  That's a lot of driving this week, but they are paying pretty well.  The family is on their own for dinner.  I will stock up on spaghetti.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Tomorrow I am off to see The Wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz.  He's on the other side of The Big City, so depending on rush hour traffic it will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get there and an hour to get back.  That's a lot of driving this week, but they are paying pretty well.  The family is on their own for dinner.  I will stock up on spaghetti.

Don’t pay any attention to the man behind the curtain!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Apparently we had a big storm last night that I slept right through.  :smile:

We have misc. lessons and things this morning, and then I will drop the kids off at music lessons/choir this afternoon and go to The Wizard after that.  Rehearsal starts at 7:00, so depending on the efficiency of the director, I hope to be back home by 11ish.  Dh will pick the kids up from choir after work and bring everyone to Scouts.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Monday!!!!😩😩😩😩

This week is going to be crazy. The kids have state testing. They’ve been doing practice tests and the test is hard. And all this is diametrically opposed to everything I stand for as a homeschooler. And it makes me realize how much I’ve sold my soul to be a part of this charter and then....even more so since I am going to work for the Charter and will have to push the testing.😩😩😩😩 Anyhow, The Kids have testing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so I won’t be making them do regular school then. Today I think we will try to catch up on science and maybe do some art. We haven’t done art in ages. And we’ll do the same thing on Friday.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, Renai said:

I had jury duty. There were 148 of us, and they were asking a bunch of questions to decide who the 16-member jury panel for an upcoming case was going to be. It's a good thing I wasn't selected because the case is estimated to be 3 weeks long, is a murder, and involved two young teens.

ps. It's 16 because there's 12, then 4 alternates. The alternates don't know they are alternates until it is time to deliberate, so they have to be there the entire case too.

2 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

2 years ago.

Goodness gracious, you went all the way back! I still feel there was another. I had to sit with three or four other groups of summoned when the court was seating for four different trials at the same time. I wasn't chosen for any of those either. Maybe that was further back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Renai said:

Goodness gracious, you went all the way back!

I did a search within this thread for "jury." That was the first result I saw from you, but there may be others.

We are in The Pollening. There's so much that the deck is slippery. These loblolly pines need to get a room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I did a search within this thread for "jury." That was the first result I saw from you, but there may be others.

We are in The Pollening. There's so much that the deck is slippery. These loblolly pines need to get a room.

I finally figured out how to do it! 

So, when we are called, we are serving on-call for three months. So the first time I was called was the one you quoted. I was called a second time a month and a half later! No wonder I felt like I'd been called a lot. I wasn't chosen for any of the cases though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only had jury duty once. Drug case involving an informant and 1st offense at a local grocery market that we drive by all the time. 

We measured everyone on the wall before we left. Ds14 is finally a little taller than dd12. Dd10 is still in the 97th percentile for height. Dd16 is up to the 25th percentile!  She just rolled her eyes at me. Pipsqueak. 😂

• Like 2

Tomorrow is the last of my classes for the Winter session.  Today and tomorrow were makeup days from snow.  I'm looking forward to setting up for the new session.  It's the last one for the year, then summer camps.  

I'm teaching a high school level forensics class by request.  That's going to be a lot of fun.

• Like 4

Dh spent the weekend with his parents getting evaluations done for assisted care.  They qualify for everything but evidently they don't actually make recommendations.  They just say what they qualify for and the family has to make the decisions.  There's three brothers - dh thinks fil needs assisted living, one brother doesn't think it's that bad and wants to wait, and the other has no real opinion. 

• Confused 3

Tomorrow I have three classes, Teen Hangout and my tech tuesday job.  Skipped one because they didn't have enough attendance and I couldn't do it the off week because of 4-H.  Nothing too complicated - making hot/cold packs in one class, optics/telescopes/lenses in another class, and optics/kaleidoscopes in the third class.  Bubbles in Tech Tuesday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Never had jury duty.  I was summoned once but was excused because I was caring for minor children.  

That was the case for me when I lived in The Big City, but they don’t allow exemptions for that in my current town. Fortunately my kids are old enough that it would no longer be a major difficulty to be called to serve. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

I found some sparkling water I like but still call it talking rain so now when my kids get older they're going to call all sparkling water talking rain and not know why like how I say tin foil and heavens to Murgatroyd.

Slash!  So good to see you. How are you?

• Like 1

I'm tired.  I slept like a rock last night.  Fell asleep and next thing I knew it was morning.  Problem was it didn't feel that much like I slept in between.  Anyone ever have that happen?  And you feel more rested, or at least like you slept more when you semi-wake up once or twice?

I'm definitely ready for bed. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

@Renai, how did you do this?? I got a jury summons in the mail today! *sigh*

I hope they will accept my excuse. I'm fine with serving on a jury in several years, but not this year. DS really can't be left home alone all day.

We really need a like that's a Wow/Shocked face!  (((whitehawk)))  Hope you're successful!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

@Renai, how did you do this?? I got a jury summons in the mail today! *sigh*

I hope they will accept my excuse. I'm fine with serving on a jury in several years, but not this year. DS really can't be left home alone all day.

I'm sorry.

Here, it doesn't matter if you have children you take care of (get a babysitter), whether you homeschool (get a babysitter), or if you are self-employed and the only one working. They do not care. The last time I was there (February 2017), they DID excuse a new dad - the mom had just given birth a week prior and he was on paternity leave to help her out. Almost 1/3 of us were sole proprietors, and none were excused on the basis that without working, we don't get paid. 

I'm usually not chosen because I've been a victim of rape and have strong views on drugs - any drug, including the "harmless" one that is medically legal in certain instances. They just don't like me once I start talking. 

Yep.

• Like 4