Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

Also, Slache, you can adjust your diet without affecting the kids or Matt.  If they have a baked potato with the meal, you could skip the potato and eat more meat/salad/whatever.

We do a lot of adjusting at the table here because I don't expect my whole family to give up gluten.  They eat what they want and I eat what I can.

They eat their own breakfast and lunch. Matt's the one that wants to go low carb! We decided 8 years ago that I needed to lose 200 pounds and he needed to lose 30. Since then I've lost about 130 and he's gained 40, so now we're both trying to lose 70. Roughly.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do you know how hard it is to put on your socks when a 50 pound puppy insists on sitting on your feet? 

No, but I know how hard it is to put socks on when you have a 30 pound Alex wrapped around your calf. I wonder which one is more difficult?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The biggest help for MY weight loss has been getting a glucocmeter and strips and using it.  I wish that my doctors had been proactive and had had me do this long long ago when I was first prediabetic.  It has helped me to see what I can tolerate to eat with my insulin resistance.  (The science is that when your body releases too much insulin because of too many carbs, the insulin hormone acts as a fat retaining hormone.)  It has also helped me to see what I can eat when.  You can get low cost glucometers from AFSA and the like.

The other big help for MY weight loss has been the bone broth.  For some reason (having to do with intestinal permeability, I think), I can only lose weight while drinking it.  I have finally found a brand that I like.  Since it appears that I either have Celiac disease or non-Celiac gluten intolerance, this makes sense.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I can lose weight on a low carb diet. The problem is.... sticking to it. I eat to feel good and carbs make me happy. And I hate vegetables. Well, I don’t hate them. I just don’t like to cook them. 

I am very strange in that I can have an extraordinarily boring diet and have no problem with it. I eat the same thing for years without getting bored.

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The biggest help for MY weight loss has been getting a glucocmeter and strips and using it.  I wish that my doctors had been proactive and had had me do this long long ago when I was first prediabetic.  It has helped me to see what I can tolerate to eat with my insulin resistance.  (The science is that when your body releases too much insulin because of too many carbs, the insulin hormone acts as a fat retaining hormone.)  It has also helped me to see what I can eat when.  You can get low cost glucometers from AFSA and the like.

The other big help for MY weight loss has been the bone broth.  For some reason (having to do with intestinal permeability, I think), I can only lose weight while drinking it.  I have finally found a brand that I like.  Since it appears that I either have Celiac disease or non-Celiac gluten intolerance, this makes sense.

I need to look at both. Mine was always extreme fitness. Do insanity, lose 15 pounds, keep it off. Do P90X, lose 20 pounds, keep it off. Do Les Mills (martial arts), lose 10 pounds, keep it off. Then I broke my back, then my insides wanted outside and I'm kinda stuck. I've kept the weight off but I have a lot more to go and it's not going to get easier over time. Whole30 was mostly about making me feel healthy, I'm hoping HFLC helps me feel healthy and lose weight.

• Like 1

Ds has pinkeye (bacterial conjunctivitis—not viral) again. We did a dr run yesterday and I am heat sterilizing his bedding and laundry today. He had an allergy flare during the dryer fiasco, rubbed his eyes, and contaminated himself. I waited until I couldn’t anymore—his body’s immune system just won’t kick in.

I have the kitchen and dining room clean and I am taking a break and then doing the living room. Doing heavy duty vacuuming and dusting twice a week is a chore. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Jean—can u pm me what you try to keep your blood glucose numbers at? I think I need to check my numbers more regularly again and see what’s going on. I have had a 20# creep this fall. It started with a flare and steroids and hasn’t stopped despite me semi-seriously calorie counting.

Good bloodsugars should be under 100 for fasting (I am not there but am trending closer than before). 

120 or under two hours post prandial. I hit this or close at least half the time. But I am also officially diabetic.  My doctor only wants me to get 140 or lower because they don’t think that diabetics will do what is necessary to go lower. But I can only do it with the help of meds and have to fight tooth and nail to keep him from taking the meds away from me. 

• Like 1

It will be a long day. My choice is made, and I believe it was the right one. I have a sick cat, but I think he'll be okay. Just a GI thing for an old diabetic cat requires a little more than for a normal old cat.

I have to get through the rest if the day, get home, do chores, and pass out. Was so stressed I was up at 4 this morning, thinking. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

ed po: 

So, ds will be taking health at "electives" co-op in the spring.  These are usually no homework classes that meet once a week, so not enough for a half credit.  But I was thinking about adding a text or something to complete the half credit.  But I think Total Health and Apologia are probably too dense for my purposes.  Any suggestions?  My primary goal is efficiency.  My secondary preference would be Christian but not preachy, lol (not sure that exists, lol). 

So, all this talk about eating healthy and carbs..... I went to church at 11:30 to help set up bells, we were there an hour, I was starving and didn’t want to go home and make lunch, so we picked up Little Caesar’s. I cannot believe myself. I hate that pizza. But, it was cheap, and we ate it all. And for some reason it was really good.🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

ed po: 

So, ds will be taking health at "electives" co-op in the spring.  These are usually no homework classes that meet once a week, so not enough for a half credit.  But I was thinking about adding a text or something to complete the half credit.  But I think Total Health and Apologia are probably too dense for my purposes.  Any suggestions?  My primary goal is efficiency.  My secondary preference would be Christian but not preachy, lol (not sure that exists, lol). 

So, points for quoting myself.  I found this blog post that might be useful.....  https://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/homeschool-health-high-school/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, all this talk about eating healthy and carbs..... I went to church at 11:30 to help set up bells, we were there an hour, I was starving and didn’t want to go home and make lunch, so we picked up Little Caesar’s. I cannot believe myself. I hate that pizza. But, it was cheap, and we ate it all. And for some reason it was really good.🙄🙄🙄

Yummy and cheap!  My kind of lunch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just got home from Costco and realized I hadn’t had lunch either....protein shake with some of the raspberries I picked this summer.

And now I want Papa John’s pizza. 

WITH THE GARLIC SAUCE! Matt used to work there and we got cheese pizza with garlic sauce instead of garlic bread. Weweresofat! :ph34r:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Yummy and cheap!  My kind of lunch! 

👍

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just got home from Costco and realized I hadn’t had lunch either....protein shake with some of the raspberries I picked this summer.

And now I want Papa John’s pizza. 

I threw up years ago after eating Papa John’s, and now I can’t eat it any more. I am happy to eat any other kind, though!

47 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I want a Shakey's pizza. But I haven't done pizza in years, because carbs. Also not sure we have Shakey's pizza here, so there's that.

There was a Shakey’s Pizza in the town I grew up in - it had a player piano and huge windows where you could watch the pizzas being made. If it was your birthday, you could get your very own mini pizza with a big marshmallow in the middle holding a birthday candle. 😊

I’m so hungry. I brought snacks for the kids but not for myself. Just a couple more hours ‘til we’re home. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have the best wood-fired pizza truck in downtown Newcastle.  It's one of Newcastle's best things.  And they have gluten free crust.  But it will send my sugars sky high so instead I am making beef vegetable soup in the pressure cooker (the real kind, not the Instant Pot). 

I saw a video earlier where someone did a crustless pizza. They used like ham deli meat and then put the pizza toppings on it. It looks pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Exactly my face. I stopped in on my way home from the library.

They are also carrying a ton of Indian products they didn’t used to. I picked up some jars of butter chicken sauce. Sometime this week a ton of product lines changed.

You have got to keep me more informed about these things.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Our Costco now carries both gf crust and cauliflower crust pizza in the freezer section.

Pizza Booyah!

I am sticking a frozen lasagna in for dinner tonight.

Oooh, twins. So am I.

hmm, I guess today isn’t  A stellar day for nutrition at my house.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whitehawk said:

Slachey, I think a baked sweet potato or an orange once in a while is not going to hurt you. It's not a slice of cake!

Maybe keep a weekly tally chart in your bullet journal or via an app, with goals for minimum and maximum numbers of servings?

I log my food into Fitbit and they track macros.

• Like 1