Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Lol, no.

I need to make a dump drop-off of plywood scraps and my gutters are clogged with debris from the trees.  I've been talking to a lot of roofers lately getting bids on reworking the gutters because they've got more issues than just needing to be cleaned.  We're going to finish taking care of our trees issue and then get our gutters and roof cleaned up and fixed.

Oh! I thought we were being figurative. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

mmmm....lizard!

I wasn't paying attention. :leaving:

11 hours ago, KrissiK said:

DH is eying Midland because it apparently has a lot of engineering jobs, per capita. And low humidity. Because he thinks humidity is the worst thing that can ever be about a place. Whatever. I keep telling him most places are More humid that we are because they get rain and we have the good fortune to be living in an irrigated desert.

I don’t know.... we’ll probably end up staying put because of family and roots and all that.  There’s going to have to be something to force the issue, like DH losing his job... but we live in the same small town my grandparents moved to when they came out from Colorado as newlyweds, we go to the same church, people in our SundaynSchool class are people I grew up with, the camp my kids go to is the same one my Grandfather helped start, DS goes to the same Christian high school my parents did and I did and all my aunts, uncles and cousins did... and now with my dad’s poor health and i’m The only one around for my mom..... it’s just really, really hard to decide to pick up and move to someplace where we don’t know anyone and have no support system.

I totally get that.  When we settled in down here I made DH promise me it wouldn't be forever, that we would move to a climate more to my toleration after some years.  The longer we stay, however, the more rooted we are.  We won't move away from DH's parents, since we are the only ones left within half a day's drive.  (They are fine as they are, but in future years -- MANY years from now -- they might not be.  And we are rather attached.)  I have my Dad down here now, so that nixes the idea of accepting even a 3-year assignment overseas, even though that would be an amazing experience for the kids.

No, I know that no matter how much I hate the climate down here for the larger half of the year we won't move away.  We are good here financially, are close to family, and the climate isn't killing me.  And this way when I do get to experience snow it is a treat and not a trudge.  

Roots, even transplanted ones, can grow deep.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Because ITT is the place to ask: I need to shrink my signature. In what part of my profile do I find my signature now? I have been looking.

Let's check the bottom of my siggie.  I think I updated that.

Yup, there it is.  Go to your userid at the top -- one of the options will be account settings (or is that within your profile?...).  Once in Account Settings you will see options on the left; Signature is one of those.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ikslo said:

I always wondered how you ate so many veggies.  I thought maybe you took bean-o or something.

My GI system is changing.  I can't eat quite so many anymore without some really unpleasant after-effects.  Boohooie.  I really crave fresh veggies at times, and don't want to be limited!

• Sad 1

I found trash. I placed it in the trash can.  I paused.  I took it out of the trash can.  I returned it to its original incorrect location.  Child was summoned.  Child was instructed to dispose of his trash.  Child was apologetic.  

Darn tootin’!

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

• Like 9

I’m back. I’m beat. My dinner consisted of bbqued chcken sandwiches and Lays bbq potato chips. At least I got a whole assignment done in Latin sitting there. It was hard, too. And read some more of “All the Light We Cannot See”.it’s tough to get through. But I will finish it.

• Like 5

Day 86 step goal done.

I was pruning the hydrangeas and a Filipina?  Chinese? lady came by and seemed quite distressed.  She kept pointing to the dead parts and the new growth that I was pruning back and was shaking her head.  I told her "It's ok.  It will get big and will have big flowers."  Big smiles - "Yeah, yeah, yeah!"  Crisis averted. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Edpo.

I finished planning our 2nd grade weekly layout so that I could see my weekly and daily tasks and plan out our first year of fun Fridays, or in our case wondrous Wednesdays since we tend to get home late on Tuesdays.

• Instead of IEW or spelling we'll have a free write
  • Instead of Beast we'll play RS games
  • Instead of Spanish grammar we'll do tongue twisters, jokes, poetry & games
  • Instead of our regular Japanese he'll get a Kanji (he loves this)
  • Instead of Greek grammar he'll get to translate a sentence

We will still do our daily Bible, singing, art appreciation, read alouds and memory work.

• Like 8

She is very perfect. I need a blogger who screws up at least 50% of the time but has a special "this actually worked" section. So I don't feel too bad about it.

It is an insecure, petty, jealous-of-a-mommy-blogger booyah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Good morning!  It's Humph Day!

Three cheers for Lynn's Spring Break!

Lots of stuff to do for backpacking today - find summer clothes for the girls because it's actually going to be warm for a couple days, finish the underquilt, try out the bug netting (though with all the hard frosts overnight, I'm not even sure the bugs will be out), find a good ukulele version of The Sky Boat Song (essential to backpacking :lol:), and other stuff.  I need to plant the irises and shasta daisies before we leave.  Ds13 wants to mow the lawn, so yay for that.

Jean, that chicken dish looks amazing, though I stopped reading before even getting to the recipe because it was making me hungry!  We're having tacos de carnitas for dinner tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Beast Academy peeps. Questions. I have them.

1. There are like a bajillion threads and blog posts on how to schedule it. Is there any reason I can't just do the suggested guide book/practice book lineup at his pace? I don't really see a reason to overcomplicate this.

2. Will we learn all of the Roman numerals (pirate counting methods) in book 2A or the 2nd grade series or later or not?

Awkward sentence. Matt's been snoring since 2:30. I don't like him right now.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

1. There are like a bajillion threads and blog posts on how to schedule it. Is there any reason I can't just do the suggested guide book/practice book lineup at his pace? I don't really see a reason to overcomplicate this.

2. Will we learn all of the Roman numerals (pirate counting methods) in book 2A or the 2nd grade series or later or not?

I did the suggested.  We did it at his pace.

Level 2 wasn’t out yet.  I have no idea.

• Thanks 1

My people need me to be verbal quite a bit earlier than I'd like. Today, conversation with my BFF to get her out the door on time and then again on her way to work; explanation to DH that he cannot take my soap when he uses his up too fast (because dude, that is a shampoo bar and it had to be mail-ordered. Walk to the linen closet for soap.); commiserating with kitty because there is food in her dish that is not the desired kind; previewing today's schedule with DS and admiring the book he's reading....

I did have coffee amid all this. I might need more.

Re: BA, I only wrote down an approximate schedule to get us through all the books in a year, because DS likes to do math only for a few minutes at a time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m the only one up.  DS is sleeping.  DH is not here.  So he may be up.  I have no idea.    All my communication today has been on one device or another, as I’m working from home.  The only noise has been the microwave and the toilet, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I have not started yet. We are doing 2A in the fall. My plan for scheduling is to use the suggested lineup and work for 30 mins a day.

Looking through 2A, it doesn't look like they cover Roman numerals in depth. I think it's just as a teaching tool for place value. I don't know about later in the series.

• Like 1

I think it's National Go Back to Bed day.  That can be a thing, right? I could go back to bed also.

My new oven is supposed to arrive by freight delivery today.  I need to call once it's delivered to schedule to have it hooked up to the downdraft and gas line.  I'll be really glad when this multi-week saga is done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I checked Google for the open hours of my storage unit office -- 8:30 AM.  I headed over there and saw a sign on the door stating they would be back at 9:30 AM.  I checked their website and sure enough, their open hours start at 9:30 AM.

So I used the website to reserve a climate-controlled storage unit (the same size as my current non-climate-controlled unit), and marked myself down for a move-in date of this Friday since that morning will be my next opportunity to go back there.  We'll see how the online reservations work, I guess.

I have run one fruitless errand outside of the house, have a load of my laundry in the dryer and a load of new trousers for Dad in the wash, and am eating second breakfast (because I remembered I has seaweed salad in the fridge and wanted something green).  I am contemplating some flavor of tea for a beverage, too.

Ceramics and music classes today.  A strong resistance to having to think through several things all awaiting impatiently for me to get to them.  To rebel I'm doing some more basic things this morning before we head out to ceramics and music classes.

We might or might not pick up fast food for supper, depending on when DH gets home this evening.  He's planning on going and playing a little after he gets off work since we won't be home when he gets here.  He has earned it.  If he is going to be home in time anyway I might ask him to grill some sausages, but if he isn't we can stop somewhere and pick something up.

General housework tasks help increase my step count for the day.  Time to go do some more instead of letting this desk full of stuff draw me in.  Must remember I'm rebelling against that today.

Hopefully I get some lake-gazing time during ceramics today, too. 

• Like 2

The turtle decided to mix orange juice away from the sink. Of course he spilled. Naturally, he got some on his sock, and proceeded to track all over the kitchen that I mopped yesterday. Sticky everywhere. This makes the third time he's mopped. Third time is the charm, right?

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

The turtle decided to mix orange juice away from the sink. Of course he spilled. Naturally, he got some on his sock, and proceeded to track all over the kitchen that I mopped yesterday. Sticky everywhere. This makes the third time he's mopped. Third time is the charm, right?

This is the perfect time to make mopping HIS chore for a while, to be done on a very regular basis.  This would be done to cement the skill and habit and teach ownership of a task, of course, so he will have this life skill for his adulthood and won't have to marry someone just because she can mop a good floor.

#lifeskillsgiveonefreedom

#onlysemisuccessfulinthishere

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AMJ said:

This is the perfect time to make mopping HIS chore for a while, to be done on a very regular basis.  This would be done to cement the skill and habit and teach ownership of a task, of course, so he will have this life skill for his adulthood and won't have to marry someone just because she can mop a good floor.

#lifeskillsgiveonefreedom

#onlysemisuccessfulinthishere

He does mop his floor, but I do the kitchen on Tuesday. I told him this is the perfect time to learn to mix OJ in the sink where it belongs. Think before you sticky and all that. He was a pretty cantankerous chelonian when I called him in the second and the third time to redo his chore, but I do believe the sticky is gone now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

He does mop his floor, but I do the kitchen on Tuesday. I told him this is the perfect time to learn to mix OJ in the sink where it belongs. Think before you sticky and all that. He was a pretty cantankerous chelonian when I called him in the second and the third time to redo his chore, but I do believe the sticky is gone now.

I never mix anything in the sink...

• Like 1