Menu

Ignore this thread!

I can't say how much we spend on education. Is our Bible instruction part of school or something we would do anyway? What about music? Or our good books? These things are important to me and while you would call them part of our curriculum they are things we would buy if the kids went to school. I dare not count the cost of everything we've bought for education in this house for I would probably cry.

Right, I don't know either. It doesn't total $11k/year though, even if I include music lessons etc. I mean, if I were to include our upcoming educational field trip to The Netherlands, Austria, etc, then yes, I'd imagine we'll hit that number, but including that would be really nutty. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:

Thanks guys. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we had a third kid, though pregnancy and I don't get along very well (no major issues, just 24/7 'morning' sickness), and having an 8 year gap wasn't on my wishlist. Basically, I'm estimating my real odds of getting pregnant at probably more like <1% rather than 3%, but, I don't know what I'd do if I were. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have another baby, but, yeah... it's so nice that the kids are older and we can do big kid things all the time. Plus, I have no idea what I'd do re: career... my plan was to just start a career when Broccoli graduated high school, which is when I'll be 42 or 43 or something... add 8 years to that, and... *poof* to future career plans, unless I either stick the kid in school or figure out how to work while homeschooling. 

Either way, the odds are really small, small enough I'm not really worried. Though I'll obviously be buying some pregnancy tests in a few weeks, since a) I don't recall when my last period started, and b) my cycles are kind of random in length (anything up to 8 weeks is normal for me, though recently I think they have been closer to other people's normal length, I think), so, that's going to be annoying. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

I guess my main concern is that any baby of ours is at an increased risk for being special needs, what with the family history of ASDs and things like bipolar etc. I don't really feel I have it in me to deal with another special needs kid, which is one of the reasons we didn't try to have a third kid - the stress and worry of whether Celery would ever be able to function well enough to become an independent adult is not something I want to go through again (obviously, we still don't know if he'll become an independent adult, but I'd imagine he should be able to... and having seen the huge leaps he's made since he was a toddler/preschooler would make it easier to go through that with another kid.... but still - that was not an easy time). 

Thanks guys. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we had a third kid, though pregnancy and I don't get along very well (no major issues, just 24/7 'morning' sickness), and having an 8 year gap wasn't on my wishlist. Basically, I'm estimating my real odds of getting pregnant at probably more like <1% rather than 3%, but, I don't know what I'd do if I were. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have another baby, but, yeah... it's so nice that the kids are older and we can do big kid things all the time. Plus, I have no idea what I'd do re: career... my plan was to just start a career when Broccoli graduated high school, which is when I'll be 42 or 43 or something... add 8 years to that, and... *poof* to future career plans, unless I either stick the kid in school or figure out how to work while homeschooling.

Either way, the odds are really small, small enough I'm not really worried. Though I'll obviously be buying some pregnancy tests in a few weeks, since a) I don't recall when my last period started, and b) my cycles are kind of random in length (anything up to 8 weeks is normal for me, though recently I think they have been closer to other people's normal length, I

think), so, that's going to be annoying.

Pretty much my train of thought last year...

It’ll be good either way.

• Like 2

Yay, 4% raise!

Me too!  :hat:

I can't say how much we spend on education. Is our Bible instruction part of school or something we would do anyway? What about music? Or our good books? These things are important to me and while you would call them part of our curriculum they are things we would buy if the kids went to school. I dare not count the cost of everything we've bought for education in this house for I would probably cry.

Education is a life.  

• Like 3

Either way, the odds are really small, small enough I'm not really worried. Though I'll obviously be buying some pregnancy tests in a few weeks, since a) I don't recall when my last period started, and b) my cycles are kind of random in length (anything up to 8 weeks is normal for me, though recently I think they have been closer to other people's normal length, I think), so, that's going to be annoying.

Matt and his sister are 7 years apart and their relationship was great. Outside factors destroyed the family, but everyone agreed that the big age gap was awesome.

Me too!  :hat:

:lol:
  • Like 2

It's bill day, and I'm feeling like I should upgrade from tracking everything on..errr.... digital sticky notes.   :leaving:   Anyone here recommend an online app to track online bills, etc?  I might swim in the sea for this one, but figured I'd check here first.

(I actually used to be great at tracking money: I had a formal budget, and an old version of Microsoft Money, but then a new OS rendered it obsolete and I had a terrible time finding a replacement for my Mac that I liked; and now almost everything is paid online anyway...)

ETA:  I'm looking at Mint (Intuit/Turbo Tax) right now.

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings

Vopo: Celery threw up an hour and a half before guitar lesson. I did take Broccoli to violin, but really, between everything, I think today is a mental health/sick day or something, because I don't see much of a point in trying to put some education into anyone's head at this point (I'm normally really good about getting something done, even if we start late, but I don't know about today). Maybe I'll watch something educational with the kids. Celery is saying he's feeling better now. 

• Like 5

Vopo: Celery threw up an hour and a half before guitar lesson. I did take Broccoli to violin, but really, between everything, I think today is a mental health/sick day or something, because I don't see much of a point in trying to put some education into anyone's head at this point (I'm normally really good about getting something done, even if we start late, but I don't know about today). Maybe I'll watch something educational with the kids. Celery is saying he's feeling better now. 

“Realize that when the kids are stressed, anxious, frustrated, or basically any other strong emotion, learning just will. not. happen.  It's about the brain - all those neurotransmitters and an overactive amygdala make it impossible to form new memories. So don't persist if you or she are in that place - much better to take a break, deal with what is causing the anxiety/frustration, and come back to the lesson later.†-Chrysalis Academy

• Like 2

:seeya:

Hugs to all who need them.  I've been struggling to keep caught up today.

We did no school, other than eating various kinds of pie.

We dentisted and everyone said that dd13's teeth are lovely post-braces.

I napped.

I killed a bunch of ants.   :scared:  I hate ants.  More than spiders, even.

• Like 6

Well, school went better today than yesterday and the day before that. I am just really discouraged about homeschooling.  I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that all of my kids have learning disabilities in some way, shape or form and they are coming out more and more as they get older.  So then.... what to do? If anything? We just keep chugging along, trying to work at their level, trying to encourage them. DH and I had a long talk yesterday about the possibility of B&M school because I am so overwhelmed (they just don't want to cooperate, they don't want to do school, but we have to do school.... so I chase them down, look at their work, try to calmly go over things they missed.... DS2 I have to sit with him the whole time, or he just refuses to do his work and his handwriting is a mess - a battle I just couldn't fight when he was younger, even though we tried) but I think if we did put them in B&M school it would be worse because they wouldn't do their work, but then I wouldn't know how to help them.

So, I ate a cinnamon roll.  It was really good. I made it.

• Like 5

Yeah, scrap today. I went to Stuffmart (the shame!) and bought Gatorade and chocolate because today has been special in a not good way.

:grouphug:  and also  :grouphug:  for Krissi, and anyone else who needs them.

So, since Celery said he was feeling better, we ended up watching a couple of episodes of GC together (one about history, the other of superstar student), and talking about them some. I think that went fine. I'm not going to try to cram in a full day though. 

• Like 4

Thanks for saying that, Angi. I know you are right! Our oldest DS is in B&M school because I absolutely could not continue homeschooling him and the only problem it solved is that he is not in  my hair for X hours of the day. He is barely passing his classes. I would happily change methodology if I knew what to do, but I don't even know where to start.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Well, school went better today than yesterday and the day before that. I am just really discouraged about homeschooling.  I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that all of my kids have learning disabilities in some way, shape or form and they are coming out more and more as they get older.  So then.... what to do? If anything? We just keep chugging along, trying to work at their level, trying to encourage them. DH and I had a long talk yesterday about the possibility of B&M school because I am so overwhelmed (they just don't want to cooperate, they don't want to do school, but we have to do school.... so I chase them down, look at their work, try to calmly go over things they missed.... DS2 I have to sit with him the whole time, or he just refuses to do his work and his handwriting is a mess - a battle I just couldn't fight when he was younger, even though we tried) but I think if we did put them in B&M school it would be worse because they wouldn't do their work, but then I wouldn't know how to help them.

So, I ate a cinnamon roll.  It was really good. I made it.

Only liking the cinnamon roll.

((((Krissi)))  

• Like 3

You can call it a Slurpee but if I actually hear you slurping, I'll take it away. #mean

Thank you!  I only slurp when I hit the very bottom and am getting the very last bits.  I actually prefer to pop the top off at that point and pour/scoop out the rest.  I'm not a fan of noisy eating, either.

My sheets are in the dryer. #advanced

Mine are back on the bed.  #moreadvanced

But not tucked in yet, and the comforter is not yet back on the bed yet.  #jobstillincomplete

• Like 4