Menu

Ignore this thread!

I remember nagging about getting a bigger violin when I had a 3/4 size, and my teacher was like "uh, you realize that all those 6'4" tall guys play on a full size, yes?" (Dutch people (my family excluded) are tall, so, there are tons of 6'4" guys around in NL). Me:  :(

Realistically, good 7/8 size violins are harder to find than full size violins. 

So, I guess this means that Gymnast will never be in a full size violin...

ETA: Well, not inside one anyway...I mean play one...

Edited by Renai

I barely managed to scrape up enough steps to meet my 23rd day of my step goal. Tonight I miscalculated when I needed to go work out before going to city council. But after I snuck out of the meeting I walked around and around in the city hall parking lot until my wrist band buzzed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get buzzed when you reach your goal?!?! That's cool.

Booya_Hoodie_400x400.PNG

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

I was helping to put away some chairs tonight and a very nice lady who couldn't be less than 65 but probably is closer to 70 stopped me. She took my chairs for me and said that she'd get it because they looked "a little too big for you." My pride is gone. :blush:  I wanted to help the older ladies! Nobody was under 65 other than me. 

Oh, and she struggled much less with it than I was, so she probably wasn't wrong. I must lift weights!

Don't you have a weight (Kernel) you lift on a regular basis?

So, I guess this means that Gymnast will never be in a full size violin...

ETA: Well, not inside one anyway...I mean play one...

Well, like I said, I did play a full size one from about 12-20yo (and I should get it back later this year). So, even if 7/8 might be better, there's a gray area of what's possible, and personal preference does play a role. But, if she's going to stay under 5' and doesn't have long arms for her height, then yes, odds are she'd be better off not playing a full size violin. It is certainly possible to get good 3/4 or 7/8 size ones, though 7/8 is relatively rare compared to 3/4 (because most kids go from 3/4 to 4/4). 

Besides, who cares what size the violin is, other than tweens who are short compared to their peers? It's not like people wear men's size 12 shoes out of jealousy - you use what fits. 

• Like 2

Don't you have a weight (Kernel) you lift on a regular basis?

Kernel is Maize's baby, but I have a Baby. He's not very big yet, so maybe not a good workout buddy, but I totally could have handled the chairs! I think she thought I looked pathetic because I'm short.

• Like 3

PSA / Edpo (depressing edpo at that)....

All this EFC stuff is stunning to me. 

I think I understand how college costs have risen so astronomically over the past 20 years. Nobody has paid any attention. Our country has been in collective denial. Even if you have a low EFC, where is the rest of the money coming from?!? The federal government can't even fund decent equipment for soldiers, how much do people think their 3.2 GPA senior who dropped Calc I is going to get for four years of higher ed? Not that I approve. I don't approve and I'm not resigned, but reality is what it is.

Also, here's a life pro tip for you: The max Pell grant is six thousand dollars per year, and that is if your EFC is zero. The average state university tuition is nearly ten thousand dollars per year for in-state. You don't get magical extra funds after the $6k. Your need is turned into a credit opportunity for massive lending institutions.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1718/help/typesofAid.htm

Not to be a jerk but every penny counts. You aren't saving against grants, you are saving against loan sharks, in the vast majority of cases.

/soapbox

• Like 5

Wow, Lynn's 9yo is a giant. Or Lynn's signature is seriously outdated. 

Broccoli is almost big enough for a 1/4 size, but since a 1/8 size is so insanely much smaller, he's had a 1/4 size from the start (i.e. 3 months ago). I'm almost 5'4", and I probably would be best off with a 7/8 size, though full size works. Didn't get it until 12yo though (and incidentally, I quit growing at 12yo - had been 5'+ since about 9.5yo). 

Mine aren't. Celery is still like 4'3". I mean, I guess a year ago he was 4'2", and the year before that about 4', but still... hardly epidemic-level growth there. 

Yes, she is giant.   :laugh:   I'll have to measure her later today and let you know what it is.  She has grown a ton in the last year.  

• Like 2

Kernel is Maize's baby, but I have a Baby. He's not very big yet, so maybe not a good workout buddy, but I totally could have handled the chairs! I think she thought I looked pathetic because I'm short.

You know there's workout videos with your baby these days? lol I got a free one through my WIC office when Gymnast was a newborn.

• Like 3

I have been so sleepy all day.

I woke up a little before 8 and was back in bed by 11.  Slept through lunch.  Woke up at 3, ate, and went back to bed.  Woke up at 6, ate, stayed up a little and went back to bed.  Got up a little while ago and I feel ready for bed again.

Other than a bad headache this morning, I have felt fine all day.  Just really, really wiped out.

I hope this doesn't mean that I'm getting sick.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope you aren't getting sick, too.

• Like 1

I barely managed to scrape up enough steps to meet my 23rd day of my step goal. Tonight I miscalculated when I needed to go work out before going to city council. But after I snuck out of the meeting I walked around and around in the city hall parking lot until my wrist band buzzed.

:hurray:  :hurray:

I think I understand how college costs have risen so astronomically over the past 20 years. Nobody has paid any attention. Our country has been in collective denial. Even if you have a low EFC, where is the rest of the money coming from?!? The federal government can't even fund decent equipment for soldiers, how much do people think their 3.2 GPA senior who dropped Calc I is going to get for four years of higher ed? Not that I approve. I don't approve and I'm not resigned, but reality is what it is.

Also, here's a life pro tip for you: The max Pell grant is six thousand dollars per year, and that is if your EFC is zero. The average state university tuition is nearly ten thousand dollars per year for in-state. You don't get magical extra funds after the $6k. Your need is turned into a credit opportunity for massive lending institutions.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1718/help/typesofAid.htm

Not to be a jerk but every penny counts. You aren't saving against grants, you are saving against loan sharks, in the vast majority of cases.

/soapbox

I hear ya.  I worked 30 hours a week at three different part-time jobs (one of them merit work study) while attending college full-time, and still had to max out all of my loan options just to get by.  My brother's life insurance paid for my final year of my bachelor's degree, or I would have ended up with far more than the $30K student loan debt I did.

• Like 1

Good early Wednesday Morning!  I'm up to find out what the road conditions are and see if we're having biology lab today.  COFFEE!!!!

Good morning!

Road conditions here today are wet.  It should rain pretty much all day long.  Today's tasks include:

• take the cat to the vet
  • take loads of stuff to Dad's place and carry it all in from many spots away from any building entrance I can use
  • listen to Dad about what he thinks and needs and wants 
  • try to explain some stuff to Dad
  • try to coordinate some stuff to Dad
  • bring more stuff back (laundry and sheets and stuff Dad doesn't want in his place) and carry it all in from the truck
  • laundry
  • get ready to travel to/from and attend the funeral of my friend's DH tomorrow
  • check all of the sundry lists to see what has already been postponed that really needs to get done
  • fall down in exhaustion and log it in Atimelogger

There is supposed to be a brief hiatus in the rain tomorrow, then more Friday and Saturday (Park Day and more take-stuff-to-Dad's-day).  With luck at least there should be less or no rain during the funeral tomorrow.  I'll take the rain on the other (inconvenient) days to spare my friend and her family a deluge tomorrow.

• Like 5

Morning!!

Coffee!!

Job #1 today. We'll see how it goes.

It's cold and I just want to stay home. Both jobs needed me this morning. Would have loved to go to job #2, but had promised the other.

Since we're trying to always be off on Fridays, I promised dc that if they would work really hard Monday through Thursday, we wouldn't do school on Fridays, except fun things like science lab stuff or videos, etc. So far, they're killing it!

I think the break is more for myself, though! 😰

:hurray:  :hurray:

It's cold and wet. I would like to stay under the covers for a while longer.

Today's plan includes speech, a quick trip to the AFSA, canceling park day, picking up a reserved library book, and coming home to drink hot cocoa and cuddle. I might throw some school in there too.

• Like 5

I see.  And what was the group's reaction to these two?

The group leader is very active with helping in the community, and she found out where the homeless guy is staying and found out what he needed. So that was good.

The second--well, we mostly let him talk, and some of the plotters were really interested in his methods, and some of them weren't and I refrained from saying anything.

• Like 3

Morning!!

Coffee!!

Job #1 today. We'll see how it goes.

It's cold and I just want to stay home. Both jobs needed me this morning. Would have loved to go to job #2, but had promised the other.

Since we're trying to always be off on Fridays, I promised dc that if they would work really hard Monday through Thursday, we wouldn't do school on Fridays, except fun things like science lab stuff or videos, etc. So far, they're killing it!

I think the break is more for myself, though! 😰

This is how we do school during the summer. One day a week is for going to the river. Sometimes it's Monday, sometimes it's Friday. Depends on the weather.

For real?

Seriously. Weirdest. Lent. Ever.

Ds got me a Dell laptop. According to him they have a business line and a personal line. The business line is good. The personal line isn’t. This is a $3000 computer for a fraction of the cost.

Dell is all that Tech Support here buys. He can get high quality machines (Grade 1) off of business leases for far less than it would cost him to build the machine himself. We have a couple that are over 10 years old and still ticking. Which, given the volume of tech equipment around here, may not be a good thing.

I think I understand how college costs have risen so astronomically over the past 20 years. Nobody has paid any attention. Our country has been in collective denial. Even if you have a low EFC, where is the rest of the money coming from?!?

/soapbox

No. People have been paying attention. We just bought into the (repeatedly incorrect) assumption that more government involvement would solve the problem. So, much like in the K-12 public education system and government-provided health services (think, VA), the bureaucracy expands and becomes entrenched (look at the sizes of the admin departments and "fluffy" things unrelated to actual, you know, education), while at the same time the costs rise rapidly and the quality of product diminishes.

#ihaveasoapboxtoo

• Like 7

I hear ya. I worked 30 hours a week at three different part-time jobs (one of them merit work study) while attending college full-time, and still had to max out all of my loan options just to get by. My brother's life insurance paid for my final year of my bachelor's degree, or I would have ended up with far more than the $30K student loan debt I did.

Yep. I worked full time and double over the summers. I guess I don't understand why people think it would be different now for their kids? Or is there a misunderstanding about EFC? There needs to be some awareness raising in our country.

So many posts about EFC and "this can not be a real financial aid package!"

On top of it they always say "put retirement first."

I retire twenty years after my second leaves for college. Imma save for college first.

• Like 2

I found out a relative now lives up the river. I want to write to him and try to help him get through it but I have no idea what to say. We were kids together but never close and I have no idea what he would like or what people up the river want to hear about. I assume it's not really like Orange is the New Black.  :confused1:

• Like 1

No. People have been paying attention. We just bought into the (repeatedly incorrect) assumption that more government involvement would solve the problem. So, much like in the K-12 public education system and government-provided health services (think, VA), the bureaucracy expands and becomes entrenched (look at the sizes of the admin departments and "fluffy" things unrelated to actual, you know, education), while at the same time the costs rise rapidly and the quality of product diminishes.

#ihaveasoapboxtoo

In addition to this, we have been convinced that every child can and should go to college right out of high school, and it pushes some kids to go to the university who might not really be suited for it. And now we have a huge population of kids with degrees working in retail and a severe lack of young people seeking jobs in the trades.

• Like 5

In addition to this, we have been convinced that every child can and should go to college right out of high school, and it pushes some kids to go to the university who might not really be suited for it. And now we have a huge population of kids with degrees working in retail and a severe lack of young people seeking jobs in the trades.

And then we look at those kids and decide college is a poor choice. It's a disaster.

I found out a relative now lives up the river. I want to write to him and try to help him get through it but I have no idea what to say. We were kids together but never close and I have no idea what he would like or what people up the river want to hear about. I assume it's not really like Orange is the New Black. :confused1:

I would just write a normal, friendly letter. Chatty and amusing.
  • Like 3

And then we look at those kids and decide college is a poor choice. It's a disaster.

I agree with you both. I also think there’s so much emphasis on “going away†to college, which can add to expenses considerably. We have a community college in our little town and a pretty good university in the Big City which offers a wide range of majors. So, unless my kid is very smart and wants a highly specialized major, he can live at home for the first two years at least and go to Community College. No, it’s not very glamorous, but it’s less expensive.
  • Like 4

It's cold and wet. I would like to stay under the covers for a while longer.

Today's plan includes speech, a quick trip to the AFSA, canceling park day, picking up a reserved library book, and coming home to drink hot cocoa and cuddle. I might throw some school in there too.

It is cold and wet here, too.  I'm back from the vet's, and my poor kitty is now wearing a cone of shame to make her leave her paws alone.  I called my Dad just now, and arranged to go over their in the early afternoon.  He's clearly tired, and talking about the workers who came by his place yesterday in a less pleasant way today.  *sigh*  We will have to see how this all goes.  I need to drop things off and pick things up and listen to Dad.  He's also trying to use prairie and plains weather experience to explain what is happening here in SE TX today -- I don't know if it will even be worth it to try to explain (today) how the weather works here.

I want hot cocoa and a cuddle.  My cat is mad at me, my younger DD is recovering but still coughing, and my older DD needs some space today.  I guess I'll settle for the cocoa, with ITT for virtual cuddles.

• Like 7

The group leader is very active with helping in the community, and she found out where the homeless guy is staying and found out what he needed. So that was good.

The second--well, we mostly let him talk, and some of the plotters were really interested in his methods, and some of them weren't and I refrained from saying anything.

Sounds like a good group!

• Like 1

Oops. Not sure what my brain was thinking. Probably consonant-ai-consonent-e + has baby = Maize/Kernel. 

Good early Wednesday Morning!  I'm up to find out what the road conditions are and see if we're having biology lab today.  COFFEE!!!!

We're supposed to have winter weather conditions too, according to the signs on the high way yesterday. 4-8inches today. I think we're still supposed to go to music lessons though, just supposed to take more time to drive more slowly and carefully. 

I agree with you both. I also think there’s so much emphasis on “going away†to college, which can add to expenses considerably. We have a community college in our little town and a pretty good university in the Big City which offers a wide range of majors. So, unless my kid is very smart and wants a highly specialized major, he can live at home for the first two years at least and go to Community College. No, it’s not very glamorous, but it’s less expensive.

Less expensive being the key words there, especially the expensive part. Depends on your CC of course, but our county's is $5575/year for county residents (and there is the potential for additional fees if your course has a lab or w/e). The CC where we lived in TX is only $2490/year (if taking 30 hours in that year - their pricing depends on the number of hours, whereas the CC here is $5575/year if you're full-time, so anything between 12-18 per semester (extra fees if taking over 18). Once you add the estimated cost of books ($1100/year) you'd be over that $6k Pell grant figure Tsuga mentioned. For CC. 

I also really dislike places that make part-time much more expensive per credit hour than full-time. Obviously, kids who have to work to pay for college are more likely to go part-time, so charging them a ton extra for it makes it extra unfair. At least the schools here don't do that, but look at the price tag.  :svengo:

Saving up for college and then saving up for retirement after that doesn't really work - to come up with the astronomical amount of money needed for retirement, you're going to need compound interest (or, the increase in the stock market, or w/e) over many, many years... 20 isn't really cutting it. 

• Like 2

I found out a relative now lives up the river. I want to write to him and try to help him get through it but I have no idea what to say. We were kids together but never close and I have no idea what he would like or what people up the river want to hear about. I assume it's not really like Orange is the New Black.  :confused1:

How about "Hi" and "I'll write if you write"?

• Like 1

Or they major in something with a very poor job market and get to enjoy that field less than they would have if they had minored in it and majored in something that provided year-round employment and benefits.

#reallifeexperiencehere

• Like 2

Btw, I know NY has a tuition discount program now, but only if you're full time and maintain a certain GPA... in other words, it's still more likely to screw over poor kids who have to work full time+ to pay for their living expenses etc, because they're more likely to not be able to hack full time or maintain the required GPA. 

• Like 1

My college plans involve the kids paying for it themselves and my retirement plans involve having a house paid off, no debt and living on SS. I would love for that not be the case and we're working towards that not being the case, but for now that's what our future holds. John will probably join the military or go into a trade. I have no idea why I think that but I always have.