Menu

Ignore this thread!

:grouphug: Jean, Slache, Susan and anyone I missed.

Got my first rejection today. I'm going to print it out, and hang it up for motivation.  :thumbup:

ETA: Just a form rejection--not right for me--but anytime somebody wishes me success in my writing career I'm going to take that personally. :001_smile:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 11

:glare: Why I oughta... :glare:

The road to success is paved with form rejections...

ETA: Plus they make great fire-starters, wall paper and I can decorate my desk with a spike where I can impale them when I'm feeling low, and so forth. Oh, and paper airplanes--don't forget how many paper airplanes I can make! And what about paper wads for the cat to chase, and scratch paper for testing paint colors...so many uses!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8

I am in so much pain, I can't stop vomiting, I have a migraine, I can barely walk or I make it worse. I hate everything. Like a week and a half late and it wants to kill me. Alex is bringing me cars to help me feel better. :001_wub: He hates it when I'm alone with bed with no toys. :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

(((Slachey))) ðŸ’

• Like 2

I am in so much pain, I can't stop vomiting, I have a migraine, I can barely walk or I make it worse. I hate everything. Like a week and a half late and it wants to kill me. Alex is bringing me cars to help me feel better. :001_wub: He hates it when I'm alone with bed with no toys. :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

((SlashIe))

But what a sweet little boy you got. I hate being alone in bed with no toys, too!!

• Like 5

Houston residents may need to raise homes after Harvey

The above headline is incorrect, no?  Shouldn't it be "raze"?  (I see things like this and then doubt myself.)

:LOL:  Nevermind!  I should have read the story.  Doh  They actually need to raise them up to keep living there.  I figured they had to raze them because of all the damage from the flooding. 

Note to self:  Read the story.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7

The above headline is incorrect, no? Shouldn't it be "raze"? (I see things like this and then doubt myself.)

[emoji38] Nevermind! I should have read the story. Doh They actually need to raise them up to keep living there. I figured they had to raze them because of all the damage from the flooding.

Note to self: Read the story.

If the article is talking about destroying homes, it should be raze. If it's talking about the community coming together to build homes, raise is correct.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Or maybe it means lifting. That works too.

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 1

I was invited to join this group on Facebook for Christian women who are... better than other Christian women? I don't really understand the point of the group. They all post about how humble they are. I'm not very humble. I guess I could join and talk about how proud I am of the fact that I acknowledge that I'm not humble?

• Like 6

The above headline is incorrect, no? Shouldn't it be "raze"? (I see things like this and then doubt myself.)

:LOL: Nevermind! I should have read the story. Doh They actually need to raise them up to keep living there. I figured they had to raze them because of all the damage from the flooding.

Note to self: Read the story.

Raise them on stilts? We saw a lot of homes like that in the Philippines.

• Like 2

I was invited to join this group on Facebook for Christian women who are... better than other Christian women? I don't really understand the point of the group. They all post about how humble they are. I'm not very humble. I guess I could join and talk about how proud I am of the fact that I acknowledge that I'm not humble?

Well isn't that special.

• Like 5

Well isn't that special.

Is this a thing? Because maybe I'm misinterpreting it. It's for women who are called to go above and beyond... the normal Christian Life..? Like everyone else is? I feel like I'm missing something. But they literally talk about how grateful they are to be such good Christians. I'm so glad that I'm humbled and not drawn toward that particular sin or what not. It's very odd.

I don't understand why the kids get so mad about me asking them to clean up their mess - i.e. take their plate to the kitchen and clean up the crumbs. I just don't get it. This is not a new chore. But half the time they end up screaming and arguing and they lose privileges etc. It just... why is this worth fighting over?

• Like 3

I attempted to take a nap. Then we went down to the parade route and set up chairs. Now i’m Drinking COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ With peppermint mocha creamer because when I get stressed I eat and things are extremely stressful with oldest DS right now. His grades are in the cellar, he’s got 2 weeks more of school and I keep getting emails from his teachers “D is missing 5 assignments in math right now...†and yesterday I was having a discussion (yes, a loud discussion from a very frustrated mama) and he kept saying we expect him to be perfect and we keep pressuring him and I’m like, “pressuring you to be perfect? Straight A’s is perfect. At this point I just want your grades to be above 60%†I just don’t know what to do with him. I would like to homeschool him, but that ship has sailed and I cannot bring him home, both for my sanity and the sanity of the other kids.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

I’m like, “pressuring you to be perfect? Straight A’s is perfect. At this point I just want your grades to be above 60%†

Above 60% as in "they're currently 60%, and you want them to be higher", or as in "they're currently below 60%, and you'd like them to be at least 61%"? If the former, maybe you could give him a concrete answer as to how high you want them to be, say, 70% (with the understanding that *sometimes* stuff happens and they're going to be lower, but that if he doesn't even try, less than 70% isn't acceptable).

(don't ask me how to enforce that though - one thing you could do is pay him for any 70 or above, but if you do that, you might want to set up a pay scale so he gets more money for a 90 than for a 70, otherwise you're incentivizing getting exactly 70 (and when I say 'pay', it could be anything of value to him, including chore reduction or candy or w/e - the idea is that it needs to be something he wants in a quantity high enough for him to be willing to work for it - also, if he feels there's no way he can make a 70, then it's not going to work, so then you'd need to incentivize a lower number in order to get any effort)). 

also, if he feels there's no way he can make a 70, then it's not going to work, so then you'd need to incentivize a lower number in order to get any effort

*feels* being the key word there... even if you know he can get a 75, if *he* thinks he can't get a 70, then there's no reason for him to work for a 70 for any amount of incentives. So, in that case, it might make sense to put one unit worth of incentives on a number he does think he can attain, say, 60, and two units on a 65, four units of incentives on a 70, and 10 units of incentives on a 75 (and you can put even higher incentives on even higher scores). Once he's studied enough for a 60, he might decide he can put in some extra effort to get that 65, etc. 

Not that I think bribing is ideal, but realistically, even many adults have trouble putting in effort for nebulous future benefits without immediate incentives, and studies show that it does work... so long as the kid believes the incentive is attainable. 

For incentives, you could say put points towards something he wants, so if he collects enough points, he gets it. I wouldn't however escalate points for ever higher scores... for one, you don't want him to spend extra time on getting a 90 in one subject instead of spending that time on getting a 70 in another - two 70s is better than a 90 and a 50. 

Above 60% as in "they're currently 60%, and you want them to be higher", or as in "they're currently below 60%, and you'd like them to be at least 61%"? If the former, maybe you could give him a concrete answer as to how high you want them to be, say, 70% (with the understanding that *sometimes* stuff happens and they're going to be lower, but that if he doesn't even try, less than 70% isn't acceptable).

(don't ask me how to enforce that though - one thing you could do is pay him for any 70 or above, but if you do that, you might want to set up a pay scale so he gets more money for a 90 than for a 70, otherwise you're incentivizing getting exactly 70 (and when I say 'pay', it could be anything of value to him, including chore reduction or candy or w/e - the idea is that it needs to be something he wants in a quantity high enough for him to be willing to work for it - also, if he feels there's no way he can make a 70, then it's not going to work, so then you'd need to incentivize a lower number in order to get any effort)).

currently he had two grades below 60% and he needs to bring them up to passing. I guess my point is.... you need to pass your classes kid. Pass them. We don’t care about A’s and B’s. You need a high school diploma and you need to pass your classes to get one.

He’s staying at my parents’ house instead of going to the parade tonight (his choice, he knows he’s got work to do and he doesn’t like being cold, which it will be at the parade). He promised to work on his math. I worked with him on an English assignment and he sent that in, so hopefully between that assignment and the one we completed last night, his English grade will not slip into F territory.

• Like 3

:grouphug: Krissi.

Is he not doing the work, failing the work, or losing the work?

he’s not doing the work. He really struggles with organizational skills. He’s fairly bright, scores well on the standardized tests, but just keeping track of everything..... aye-yi-yi!! The one bright spot in all this is that he’s taking metal shop this year and loves it. And he’s discovered he has an artistic bent, so we have all kinds of decorative things around the house made of metal. So, if he can continue in Industrial Arts, get a high school diploma and go through the Jr. College in our town, which apparently had a good welding program, I think he will be able to do pretty well.
  • Like 8

Would a gift card for a few facials be a good gift for teen girls? I've never had a facial and have no idea if it would be fun and relaxing and special or like being waxed which I imagine is not fun. I'm thinking about it for DDs (13). 

I'd probably be more inclined for a spa gift card in general, rather than facials specifically, or maybe something for having their nails done. But I've never had a facial either, and I'm almost certainly the wrong person to ask. It's not like getting waxed though - I know that much.

• Like 1