Menu

Ignore this thread!

Tomorrow I have to go into work and finish some clean up.  My desk area was a disaster and I finally have time to get it so it works right.

Ds has been hemming and hawing about getting a job with Spirit Halloween again.  He worked there the year before last, decided not to last year because of school and he still had money left from the year before.  

I offered to have him work for me.  I have a cleaning person that comes three days a week.  The idea was I would do the other days but I'm teaching 18 classes plus doing ownership stuff so haven't felt like I have the energy.  He'd only make about $60 or so a week but he thinks that's a ton of money.  😂  He's 19 but since he's still in school, we cover all his expenses, just not his "fun" purchases.  But since he's a super introvert, he never goes out anywhere so doesn't really want much.  

ETA:  a -wish I was still young enough that $60 a week seemed like a lot of money- booya.

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Had a baby shower today for DH's nephew's wife. It was nice. Small. Just family. Made a good chicken Caesar salad.

Recipe?

11 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm finally feeling energetic, even though I did do some work today.

I did the laundry - washed, dried AND put away.  I feel so accomplished.

Overachiever!  Mooooooommmmm!!  Toto is making the rest of us look bad!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Recipe?

Lettuce. shredded rotisserie chicken (it was expensive, I wouldn’t buy it on a regular basis, but it was really good) croutons and parmesan cheese. i don’t have a recipe for the dressing because my friend makes it and it’s really good. it’s gluten and dairy free.

• Like 2

Happy Monday!

I stayed up too late last night but I have 80% of my lab sheets done and printed for this entire session.   I have 2 classes that need some finalizing, and my math classes that seem to need constant adjustment but that's the only class plans I'll have to deal with for the next 6 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dd18 and I went to Kroger for gas and butter (so dd15 could make cookies) and went to the Lobby of Hobby (where I did not find the yarn I want) and had story time and I practiced mandolin a little and made cream cheese w/pepper jelly cracker appetizer for the scout court of honor, which was nice.  Dd18 was awarded the Grand Slam Award for having completed all 4 high adventures. I brought two delicious salads home from the potluck. 🙂

I haven't had a chance to read or do my 5 puzzle pieces yet.  I could probably get those in before I fall asleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We made it home by 12:15!  It was apparent that the people in the office had never had to deal with a check that had been chewed on by a dog, at least it held some entertainment value for them.  A request for a new check has been placed to the treasury.

The sun is out now, but there is Weather on it's way, so hopefully we will get more rain over the next few days.

Have you ever made a temperature blanket?  You make a color chart for specific termperatures of where you are and then knit or crochet one row each day using the color for the high temperature of that day. I'm thinking about making one - maybe modified so it's not 12 feet long.

image.jpeg.27dab6c8030f2674b1738cfef12b501e.jpeg

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

That temperature blanket is very cool. (No pun intended). I want to make one. I know how to crochet. 

2 hours ago, Slache said:

SUSAN, I LOVE IT!

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I want to do a temperature blanket with 6 sections for the 6 places I've lived. I won't, but I want to.

I was thinking about starting one on my next birthday (in November) if I have enough time to plan.  Probably will start in January.  I've seen some who make them for a baby's first year, which I think is an adorable idea, too.

Also a scarf would be super fun.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I was thinking about starting one on my next birthday (in November) if I have enough time to plan.  Probably will start in January.  I've seen some who make them for a baby's first year, which I think is an adorable idea, too.

Also a scarf would be super fun.

I would love a scarf! Have you seen the t shirt scarves? I've wanted to make one from the main Texas sportsball teams. Baby's first year is also very cute.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I would love a scarf! Have you seen the t shirt scarves? I've wanted to make one from the main Texas sportsball teams. Baby's first year is also very cute.

I haven't seen t-shirt scarves, but I did have dh's t-shirts made into a few small blankets a while back.  That's a really fun idea!

11 hours ago, Slache said:

Ooooh nice!  It reminds me of a sketch journal that a lady was making at the Maine Fiddle Camp - she would draw words and little pictures all over a page in her sketchbook.  It was a really cool way of remembering details about her week at camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

It is cloudy and much cooler today.  We got a much needed 2" of rain yesterday, and more to come this weekend due to Helene.  Which makes me think of 84 Charing Cross Road.  I haven't read it in a while. 

I've taken out the bin of fall decorations so I might try getting some of that put out today.  String Quartet is this afternoon and I am making a new dish for dinner - Tuscan Chicken, which has garlic, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, and cream.  All the good things.

Coffee!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I haven't seen t-shirt scarves, but I did have dh's t-shirts made into a few small blankets a while back.  That's a really fun idea!

Ooooh nice!  It reminds me of a sketch journal that a lady was making at the Maine Fiddle Camp - she would draw words and little pictures all over a page in her sketchbook.  It was a really cool way of remembering details about her week at camp.

I always see these things and think "If I only had time," but then there was a pandemic and I did not do the things. Newton invented Calculus, I bought a quart of paint and didn't open it. I guess it's "If only I was that cool."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Tuscan Chicken I made last night was amazing.  We had it with rice.  I can't remember where I got the recipe.

Tuscan Chicken (serves 4)

1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, julienned 
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)    
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided    
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper    
2 to 3 T olive oil, divided    
2 tsp dried Italian seasoning    
5 oz baby spinach (about 5 packed cups)    
1 1/4 C heavy cream

Serve with: baked potatoes or rice 

INSTRUCTIONS  
Cut 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts in half horizontally (also known as butterflying). Pat dry with paper towels. Season all over with 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half of the chicken in a single layer and sear until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate (the chicken will not be cooked through). Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and repeat browning the remaining chicken. Transfer to the same plate.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed, and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add 5 ounces baby spinach a handful at a time. Cook, stirring regularly, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the Parmesan, heavy cream, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices on the plate to the pan and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 7 minutes.

• Like 1

Good morning!

It's raining. We got 3" of rain over night and it looks like it will continue raining until Sunday.  I may chicken out and go to Kroger instead of Aldi this morning.  Anyhoo.  I have chamber orchestra this afternoon and right after that going with dd21 to the county clerk to sign the title to "her" car over to her.  Parking may be a mess in town due to the music festival.  Sigh.

Tomorrow we leave at dark o'clock for a road trip to Family Day at ds19's university.  

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good afternoon!

We left at dark o’clock for Family Day at ds’s university.  It’s drizzly and gloomy so there haven’t been the outdoor activities they usually have.  So we went to a reception, then ds showed us around his classes and we went out for lunch.  

After that we went to an activities building and played ping pong, pool, and video games.  Then went to the library and got coffee, then the new fitness center and now the girls are swing dancing in the computer science hall to Uptown Funk.

Coffee!

• Like 2

Well it's weird that my previous post didn't post at 3pm but we are now home.  It was a dark and drizzley drive home but fine.  We are all exhausted.  Especially ds29 because he went to a movie with his friends that they go see every year (The Room) and this year it was a double feature (The Room and Big Shark) so he got about an hour and a half of sleep last night.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 73349 said:

iVolunteered.

Shoutout to Hurricane Isaac for being a nice guy and steering away from land, unlike Certain Storms. May Joyce and all subsequent storms follow suit.

How did you all fare through the storm?  Boone looks a right mess.

• Like 1

Morning Happy Sunday.

I'm actually getting ahead on my planning work and I won't have to do anything next weekend except adjust math if anyone needs it.  It took me 8 years but I may finally actually be there.   

At least for the next two weeks.  Then I have at least one class I have to make more plans for.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we are breaking ground on the addition to our house next week.   We warned the kids that things were going to be different for a couple months.  Noise in the mornings (they both sleep on a vampire schedule), people around, dog can't just go into the yard (fence has to come down) and needs to be walked.   They aren't thrilled but it should just be a couple months.

Exciting that it's finally happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1