• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

(((Lana))) keep the faucets dripping! Do you have a fire place? Is it out for lots of people? Do you have family or neighbors you can go to? Call the hotels before they fill up!

The faucets are dripping. Husband is on his way home with a generator and the power company says they have "identified the issue and crews are working to restore power."

It's getting pretty cold now, but our house is better insulated than I thought. It took several hours for the cold to get bad.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6

The faucets are dripping. Husband is on his way home with a generator and the power company says they have "identified the issue and crews are working to restore power."

It's getting pretty cold now, but our house is better insulated than I thought. It took several hours for the cold to get bad.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Yay for generator!  Hoping for a quick repair so you are toasty again soon!

• Like 2

Just here to say hi!

Church stuff tomorrow night is cancelled on account of snow.  Yay for not driving!

I'm now risking everything and counting on Bible study being cancelled in the morning too (my homework isn't done but I'm going to bed anyway.)  Living on the wild side.  Go me.

Sleep well, lovelies!  Hugs to all who need 'em... if snow allows, I'll ketchup tomorrow.  

• Like 6

I ate all the things.

Baby has worn one outfit all day for the past 3 days. He used to average 6 a day because of so much spitting up! We think it's because he's eating more easily now. He's still not sleeping better without me, however. Because spoiled. 

• Like 8

Dh's niece and another guy I know are actually allergic to Starbucks coffee. Gives them horrible stomach issues. But they can drink anyone else's coffee. It's weird.

That is weird because it is roasted like anyone else's, just longer and hotter for some roasts.

My DS is 16 and I'm not stressed about college yet. I'm in denial! I told him to do it himself. If he totally slacks off and doesn't do anything, he can go to community college for a year or so until he cares enough to make an effort. 

That's pretty much what I did. I didn't have help with any of the college stuff, and I was in public school with a dedicated school counselor. I applied to some colleges, took some tests (parents did pay for those), got accepted, didn't get the money to attend, and went to community college. On my own. Even there, I didn't get much help. I *think* a counselor may have helped me with a schedule the first semester, but I mostly remember doing it all on my own.

I know, right? On the one hand, everything I know about college admissions I learned there (and, it turns out, I know waaaaaay more than the guidance counselor at the local high schoolwith whom I have spoken. :glare: ) But, holy carp! Talk about rigorous and competitive! If I tried to mandate half of what people ask "is this enough?" about, I'd have an armed insurrection around here!

On the other hand, when I posted about Dancer's struggle with traditional chemistry and how much time she put into it to just get halfway through the book, everyone responded said to go by time and give her a credit (I think Intro to Chem). And at least one person started me on the path to Kitchen Chemistry (since she's a baker). So there's that.

• Like 4

I ate all the things.

Baby has worn one outfit all day for the past 3 days. He used to average 6 a day because of so much spitting up! We think it's because he's eating more easily now. He's still not sleeping better without me, however. Because spoiled. 

That's not spoiled. You're a necessity.  :001_tt1:

• Like 4

Good Morning!

I woke up at 6:30 and felt well-rested.  This is so strange for me.

For my Bible reading this year I have been using audio CDs.  Reading Scripture didn't happen often last year as concentrating on the small print made my head hurt.  And buying a new Bible with larger print didn't help.  So, I'm trying something new.

While I was listening, I headed over to allrecipes and found a bunch of new recipes that look really good that I will probably never try.   :leaving:

• Like 5

Great news, Critter!! Hooray!!

Hugs for everyone, and hopes the cold and trials abate soon.

DD16 and I left on schedule Monday morning. We stopped for the night in Amarillo, and it got down to 2 degrees F before dawn Tuesday. Monday we drove into strong wind gusts but our roads stayed dry. Tuesday we delayed our departure and managed to out-wait wind chill warnings.

Monday night was rough for DD. She was congested and gassy, so letting her sleep in helped. Before leaving Amarillo on Tuesday we picked up some sinus meds and those are helping.

Since we got into Dad's town later we won't see him until about 9 AM today.

DD and I got away from home before the winter storm hit. Schools and places were closed yesterday, and most are planning to be closed again today. Lots of cold and ice expected, and possible snow accumulation. I hope to find out more today about conditions at home.

Right now it is 7 degrees F outside, and the high will be in the low 40s. I'll take it. Yesterday evening dust blew up while we were still on the road, and my windshield sprayers were frozen, so I couldn't clear the dust while driving. I need to thaw those out today.

I'll try to check back in later.

• Like 3

Bookie--you are in my thoughts. I agree with the assessment that self-care is important, but I think of it more as vital to keeping the machine running, like filling the gas tank.

Woke up to no power this morning, but we have wood heat. We had 8F on the porch thermometer. I melted down my kettle handle getting water for hot tea this morning--sadly, did not destroy my old kettle. I hate that thing and want a new one. No pain medication needed this morning. The boy's temperature remains normal, and he's not coughing as much. We will have a light school this morning. No oral recitations, just quiet studying and should finish up by noon so that we can continue resting.

• Like 5

Snow Day! I had to call DS back into the house because he never suspected school had been canceled. We have a dusting! Maybe it’s worse in other parts of the county but it’s not much more than a hard frost.

I wish we’d get nothing or at least 6 inches to play in.

• Like 7

Glad everyone is mending.

Your post reminded me of someone a week or so ago, who said in front of a whole bunch of people that his daughters said he was mean because during family Bible study he made them read aloud even though they had sore throats and were sick. He said, "I don't care."

:laugh: I rather suspect I'll win evil overlord status for having school today because the boys are coughing and don't want to do school. 

ETA: I like my version better, too. :001_smile:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

Okay, I didn't like that Tapatalk siggie and can't find a way to change it. I'm now on full site through a web browser.

I didn't like Tapatalk, either.  But I use the mobile version on my phone without Tapatalk. From the full version I selected "Use Mobile Version" at the bottom.  In the beginning and every so often since, a page for Tapatalk will pop up, and when it does - I hit the back arrow <.  It brings me back to the Mobile Version with no need to use Tapatalk.  Can you do this on your phone?

ETA: I still access through a page on my web browser, but the format is better, specific to mobile phones.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

Help me out- I have potting soil that apparently was contaminated with some kind of gnat eggs. I used the soil for my little indoor herb garden containers and we can't get rid of the gnats. It's driving us crazy- I planted them back in Sept or Oct and instead of dying out, I think they keep reproducing in the dirt!

What can I do? We use the herbs so I don't want any chemicals on them. I've already tried a spray bottle of watered down dish soap. The little gnats are stupid and slow and squish easily, but they hide in the leaves and it's hard to get them all. 

I need more hydration.

Is that code for coffee?

Yes. And I'm dehydrated, too.

Help me out- I have potting soil that apparently was contaminated with some kind of gnat eggs. I used the soil for my little indoor herb garden containers and we can't get rid of the gnats. It's driving us crazy- I planted them back in Sept or Oct and instead of dying out, I think they keep reproducing in the dirt!

What can I do? We use the herbs so I don't want any chemicals on them. I've already tried a spray bottle of watered down dish soap. The little gnats are stupid and slow and squish easily, but they hide in the leaves and it's hard to get them all. 

Bazooka.

Good morning, everyone.

• Like 3