• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I do power point for a living. :crying:

I don't know the secret handshake.  :crying: :crying:

If you do all of my power points, I will teach you the secret handshake.  When I applied for a professor in practice position some years back, I had to do a long presentation in front of the full faculty involving power point.  Dh had to do the power point for me.

• Like 1

Don't want to start a whole other thread, so let me just say I just told some employee of a scam company in India that he should be ashamed of himself for being such a fool, or for being such a jerk because if he doesn't know that he doesn't work for Microsoft, he ought to. He was extremely rude and kept interrupting me. "Viruses are interrupting Windows services, ma'am." "Windows doesn't have services!" "Just tell me a little bit about your computer." "No, and just in case you don't know what you are doing, let me explain. You are scamming poor people out of their money."

He's probably heard it before. I know people in India are poor and I do feel sorry for anyone who takes that job but he was rude so I just laid into him. If he had been polite like some previous scammers I would not have read him the riot act. 

• Like 5

They call and try to sell you anti-virus products. They take your credit card information and tell you stuff that will screw up your computer. Evil. I don't necessarily blame the telemarketers. It's a known scam, though. This kid was just a snot. "No ma'am, you don't understand." "I do understand, you're using nonsense language. It doesn't even mean anything." I stayed on the line mainly to get an idea of the scam.

• Like 4

They call and try to sell you anti-virus products. They take your credit card information and tell you stuff that will screw up your computer. Evil. I don't necessarily blame the telemarketers. It's a known scam, though. This kid was just a snot. "No ma'am, you don't understand." "I do understand, you're using nonsense language. It doesn't even mean anything." I stayed on the line mainly to get an idea of the scam.

Ds17 loves those calls.  He uses nonsense language back.  Eventually they give up and hang up.  

• Like 7

Hah! I should try that next time I get a rude one. I just like to waste their time. "Oh, but the Windows services have been timing quite well recently, thank you, and everywhere I go on the Google I am having lots of good interfaces."

• Like 7

Rocky just led us on a glorious chase through the neighborhood.  We chased him past four houses before I got a clue and started to run back toward my house and our open car.  He thought that it was even more fun to chase me and hopped into the car.  Then I had to drive him around the neighborhood so that the lure of the open car door will still work next time.  Stupid dog.  Fortunately we still have about five minutes before we have to leave for the wedding.  

• Like 6

Jean, I got lost on the way to I-90 from picking up my daughter and I was in your neighborhood and I thought... someday, I'm going to have to find Jean in Newcastle and bring her a cake or something.

• Like 1

Hah! I should try that next time I get a rude one. I just like to waste their time. "Oh, but the Windows services have been timing quite well recently, thank you, and everywhere I go on the Google I am having lots of good interfaces."

You could tell them "All your base are belong to us".

• Like 2

Rocky just led us on a glorious chase through the neighborhood.  We chased him past four houses before I got a clue and started to run back toward my house and our open car.  He thought that it was even more fun to chase me and hopped into the car.  Then I had to drive him around the neighborhood so that the lure of the open car door will still work next time.  Stupid dog.  Fortunately we still have about five minutes before we have to leave for the wedding.  

I read all the way until "stupid dog" before I realized it was NOT Rusty the rabbit you were chasing!  I didn't know why you would let Rusty out in the neighborhood.  I also couldn't figure out why he would want to chase you!

• Like 5

Jean, I got lost on the way to I-90 from picking up my daughter and I was in your neighborhood and I thought... someday, I'm going to have to find Jean in Newcastle and bring her a cake or something.

When you said that, what I heard in my head was the voice of Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite saying, "I'll probably build her a cake or something".

• Like 1

true dat.

I do amuse myself by tormenting my ds when he's sitting on his duff doing nothing before dinner. I approach obsequiously "Oh sir, dinner  is just about to be served on the promenade deck. Shall I make a setting for you, sir? We'd be delighted if you'd grace us with your presence."

then he gets all snippy & I'm all "this ends when you get off your *ss while dinner is being made & actually help with stuff. Keep acting like a passenger, & I'll keep treating you like a passenger. Also there's a bill for this cruise...." 

Several months of this & he's mostly cured...

#1 Points for the use of the word obsequiously.

#2 Points for the use of sarcasm, in addition to a curse.

I fear I have trained my minions poorly.

I have also trained poorly.  Mine would think they were utterly deserving of such royal treatment and would assume we really would be delighted if they would condescend to join us and would think nothing at all amiss.  <sigh>

• Like 1

She is overweight.  But I am SO not going there.  We have awesome conversations like, "Do you like my haircut?"  

My reply, "Yeah, but I like it longer.  You should grow it."

"Mom says I am fat and ugly and will be single forever!!!"  

"Yep, that is what I said."  Sigh.

She wears me out.

I have also birthed a reared a prat faller.  (Ds12)  That is how his middle child syndrome is expressing itself lately.  That, and smarminess.   When little dd sat on the large container of dog food and knocked it over while I was reading aloud last week, I told her, "I wonder if you could pick that up and stop bothering it."  I know that is what I said because ds12 wrote it down with the date, time and my full name.  He cut it out from a piece of paper and put it on my pile of books.  So now I have it always to remember that moment.

I don't remember her looking overweight in the picture you posted.  I'm with Hornblower; she was lovely!

• Like 1

I don't remember her looking overweight in the picture you posted.  I'm with Hornblower; she was lovely!

She is beautiful, but she is a bit heavy.  It has been a lifelong (thus far) struggle for her.  She lost about 50 pounds in mid high school on her own volition by counting calories (no eating disorders or unhealthy behavior involved).  She knows what to do to lose weight if she chooses to.  She has gained back a lot of the weight she lost.  I don't personally mind if she does not lose weight, though in a moment of honesty I will say that her weight gain and her fixation on it pushes my own buttons in this area.  But she is an adult, and she gets to make her own choices in this (and most other) areas.  I love and support her no matter what, and I will not say a thing about her weight one way or the other.  She is almost six feet tall so she can carry weight like short folks (such as Renai) could not.  :D

• Like 2

She is almost six feet tall so she can carry weight like short folks (such as Renai) could not.   :D

You might be surprised. I was trained to take down people much bigger than me. They were guys though. I would not do the same job if they'd been female. :D

• Like 2

You might be surprised. I was trained to take down people much bigger than me. They were guys though. I would not do the same job if they'd been female. :D

I only said you can't carry as much weight, not that you are not a BA. I know you are a BA. :)
  • Like 2

We are back from camping. We took a 2 hour historical guided tour through 2 miles of Mammoth cave - very interesting 200+ years of history in that place. Weather was good, though it rained all morning while we packed up. I am glad to again have a sink and soap next to the toilet.

• Like 5

We are back from camping. We took a 2 hour historical guided tour through 2 miles of Mammoth cave - very interesting 200+ years of history in that place. Weather was good, though it rained all morning while we packed up. I am glad to again have a sink and soap next to the toilet.

Yes. I love camping, but I love my shower and bed more.

• Like 1

Don't want to start a whole other thread, so let me just say I just told some employee of a scam company in India that he should be ashamed of himself for being such a fool, or for being such a jerk because if he doesn't know that he doesn't work for Microsoft, he ought to. He was extremely rude and kept interrupting me. "Viruses are interrupting Windows services, ma'am." "Windows doesn't have services!" "Just tell me a little bit about your computer." "No, and just in case you don't know what you are doing, let me explain. You are scamming poor people out of their money."

He's probably heard it before. I know people in India are poor and I do feel sorry for anyone who takes that job but he was rude so I just laid into him. If he had been polite like some previous scammers I would not have read him the riot act.

I had a call from him, or someone just like him. I asked his name. "I am John. I am from California." Imagine that in a nice Bombay accent, complete with that little head bobble they do. Maybe next time I will keep "John" on the line longer, so he will have less time to scam little old ladies.

I feel sorry for the poor people there, too, but they should not be scamming people.

• Like 5