Menu

What do you have your kids do for math over the summer?

We school year round, but go lighter in course work in the summer. We take 2 weeks off at the end of June, have a 6 week summer session, and then take off from mid-August to after Labor Day (1st Monday in Sept if you're not US-based). That said, we keep going with our curriculum 4 or 5 days a week during our summer session.

• Like 1

Generally, we finish up any math program for the year and then work on concepts that need cementing.  A few summers ago, that was fractions for my boys.  Two summers ago, we did negative numbers and some other things in preparation for AoPS pre-A.  Last summer, we finished up AoPS pre-A.  Little dd will be doing Life of Fred all summer at her request.

• Like 2

We do not school during the summer, but we do/will continue math...one lesson of R&S per day, and Miquon 1-3ish pages.  My son needs the consistent reinforcement! Plus, I try to keep it light and fun, so it's not *too* school-y. I will give him a week off when we go to the beach!!

We keep working in our regular math books, though not as reliably with so many summer activities in the middle. If I notice we're barely getting any done I'll switch to something more independent and/or self-checking. Math Pizzazz, Key to _____, etc.

I am going to use Beast Academy and MLFLE 3 for my ds8, Finish MUS delta and MLFLE 5 for my dd10, and MUS pre algebra for my dd12.

I also plan on continuing science, history, and art.

The kids will also read a bunch from the library.

This is the first year that I am making them "do school" in the summer. I am sure they will mumble and groan, but I need to get through these subjects before next year!! 

We will scale back to just math and reading for the summer but will continue with their regular textbooks. The hour of reading and 30 minutes of math I expect will still allow them to hit the streets, packed with kids, by 10a. They only come in to eat, shower, and go to swim lessons and/ or gym.

• Like 1

We public school so math is done over the summer, one page per day, to earn screen time. Little one is in Singapore 1B now, she's in K, and big one is in Beast Academy. They will just continue this, and we add on more movement and sport to continue developing their spatial and temporal awareness.

My kids do a math camp one hour per week (with light homework), plus half a day for a week in August.

At home we do various kinds of review, living math books, and remediation as necessary.  We have used workbooks such as Kumon and 5x5=/=10 to build confidence with facts.  One of mine, who is advanced, has played around with some advanced stuff while I worked with her sister on remedial stuff.

This year I would like us to do Beast Academy and Life of Fred together (as a fun activity), in addition to the above.

We always schooled year around with half days in December, July, and August. We always kept going with math. If I had it to do over again, I would have done lots of art instruction in the summer instead of math. Seriously, art would have a been a school subject and the number 1 priority. I've learned that a true education is mind, body, and soul, and the mind functions best when the body and soul are more intact.

I wish I had taken all the money and time I spent on summer math and have spend it on art instead.

• Like 6

Right Start card games, problems from Zaccarro books, occasionally a MM page, lots of board games that require math, some xtramath or other math apps. A variety, but something 5 or 6 days a week. Afternoons in the A/C after a hot morning at the pool are good for us to do RAs, projects and a little math.

We take a tradtitional 12 week summer break.

• Like 1

I am going to continue with our two math books that I am sure we will not finish before June. I did not do math with my then rising 6th grader last summer, and I regretted that choice in October when I needed to go back and help DD relearn concepts from the past spring. Yes, math all summer.

• Like 1

Math is a constant for us, since we (sort of) school year round. We will finish some things in May or June, but math is ongoing. I actually HOLD ONTO some math for the summer (that is, I stretch it out, so we do not finish in May or June and have time off from math).

I like Hunter's idea of Summer Art Camp. ;) We have tended to focus more on exploratory Science during the summer months, but Art would be wonderful, too.

If you wanted a summer break from a formal math course, you could play games such as Blokus, Yahtzee, Monopoly, Battleship, Life, Chess, Uno, Chinese Checkers, Backgammon, Cribbage, and other games with your children.

Have the kids help you in the kitchen -- reading the recipe, measuring the ingredients, setting the timer or watching the clock, setting the oven temperature. That's all applied math.

If you go on a trip, have the kids help you calculate how many miles and kilometers you will travel, how long the trip will take (good time to discuss driving speeds, LOL), and how much it will cost in terms of gasoline, food, and any activities. Or, if you hike or bike, have the kids use trail maps to figure out a ____ mile hike or bike route for your family.

If you garden, have the kids measure out the planting beds, measure the rows, measure the depth and distance for planting seeds or plants. Have the kids keep a record of daily temperatures and when it's time to water. Weigh your produce on a scale, have the kids keep track of how much you grow in a season.

To keep the math facts fresh in mind: http://www.playkidsgames.com/games/mathfact/mathFact.htm

To have fun exploring math concepts with Cuisenaire rods: http://www.educationunboxed.com/

To learn math-related vocabulary and concepts: http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/dictionary.html

To play math games: http://letsplaymath.net/

To sharpen your skills as a teacher: http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/

HTH.

• Like 1

We will continue with our regular math program over the summer and when it's done, simply move up to the next level. I plan to make a weekly math packet at the beginning of each week consisting of three lessons per child stapled together to be completed and handed back to me by Friday. 

We'll be doing half-speed math during the summer. DD8 will keep using Reflex Math. DD6 will continue to play math games with me daily. DS10 will focus on becoming a fast typer. If he succeeds, he'll then learn to program, something I consider within the math umbrella.

Half speed math means a lesson every-other-day and 1 page Singapore IP per day.

We play math games and read living math books.  We've got some Marilyn Burns math books planned for this summer, and we'll probably continue with Life of Fred and Beast Academy a bit over this summer, as well.  She'll probably get a couple of long division problems per week, so she doesn't forget them, as well as an area/perimeter problem once or twice a week with different shapes.  We'll continue MUS from where we leave off at maybe a quarter speed.  We will take a week's complete break over the 4th of July week and 2 weeks completely off at the end of August, so no math or anything resembling school then.  We still consider summer part of our school year and have more of a vacation from November to mid-January (at which time she'll do nearly no math) but we like to give summer a different flavor, anyhow. 

We don't. We take a real break in the summer. Real life brings up math on occasion, but we do no academic math study during the summer. I think for my kids, they will eventually end up with more in their long term memory by coming back to math after a break.

• Like 1

I always say we are going to continue with math over the summer and then we don't. Then the new school year comes and I really regret not staying on top of it because we have to backtrack so much. My oldest has a lot of difficulty with math fact retrieval alone. This year both will continue with fact practice and they will both do about 20 minutes of their current math program. I'm really really going to go through with it this year.