Menu

McFarland USA gets a thumbs up from us

creekland

If anyone is interested in current movies (or is finding this far later on and is just interested in the movie), I'm putting a PSA on here that McFarland USA is really worth watching.

It's a movie I plan to add to my personal collection to have to show to kids at school when I need to pull out a movie (usually due to others testing and I'm watching the non-testing group).  It's a huge plus that it's a true movie and not just a made up "feel good" one.  It's definitely inspirational and conveys many good values, but also shows real life and real life is not always ideal life.

I don't recall a single swear word.  There were a couple of incidents of violence, but nothing super graphic.

My two college boys are both home for 36 hours of overlap and we chose this movie to share together.  It's nice when we pick a winner!  (Both boys and hubby loved it too.)

As an aside, prejudice is a huge pet peeve of mine, not just racial, but economic class, nationality, etc, so I do have some personal bias, but even knowing that, this is a good movie with a super bonus that it was true.  

• Like 4

Looks like a tear jerker.  I like feel good underdog movies.  Maybe I'll call my Grandma for a date!

Yes, bring your tissues! But it's a good kind of cry.

My 8 year old is doing track this year for the first time. His track club took the older kids to see it. Would it be appropriate for younger kids too?

DH and I said afterwards that we should have brought our 10yo. I think it depends on your kid, though, because some of the content has to do with adult choices, that kind of thing. I doubt you'd find anything offensive, but he might miss the significance of some aspects of the story. Others with younger kids, please weigh in!

• Like 1

We loved that movie!!

Have you seen Million Dollar Arm?

Yes and that's another one we really liked.  ;)

My 8 year old is doing track this year for the first time. His track club took the older kids to see it. Would it be appropriate for younger kids too?

My kids would have done ok with it at that age, but as mentioned before, they might not get some of the subtleties of what is going on.  There's a really good work ethic taught/demonstrated though.  ;)  A few other things, if they have questions, might have to be explained later - but those could lead to decent talking points.  

As with most films, if in doubt, previewing it first could be useful as my youngest is now 19 - meaning it's been a while since I really understood an 8 year old mindset.

Looks like a tear jerker.  I like feel good underdog movies.  Maybe I'll call my Grandma for a date!

None of us shed tears, but we're not easily moved that way.  If there are tears, it's definitely in a good way.

I haven't seen the movie, but my high school used to play McFarland in sports, and I understand that since this movie took place in the 80's and has some actual footage in it from the 80's, some of my old hs buddies who ran x-c are in the movie.

That would add an interesting aspect to the movie!  Are you planning to see it (even later on Netflix or similar)?