Menu

Tell this poor mama how to take care of her face

kwickles

So I had no mom. And I've never done anything to my face ever except wipe it with a washcloth while I'm in the shower. I'm 37 now and my face looks older than that I feel like. What does one DO to their face to help keep skin healthy? Someone take pity on me! ;)

Try sunscreen and perhaps a gentle retinol product. I like ROC deep wrinkle cream or Green Cream, and Neutrogena sunscreen.

I don't get them anymore due to time and child issues, but back when I got weekly or monthly facials, my skin looked amazing. Perhaps a few facials might help you feel better about your skin.

If you wear daily makeup, then try to remove it at night. Other than that, I am pretty low maintenance in regards to skin care.

I would stop using a washcloth pronto. Fingers are fine.

Use a moisturizing cleanser and moisturizer....exfoliate every few days and most Importantly...use a morning moisturizer with sunscreen every single day on your face and neck.

I use Cerave cleanser and moisturizer. They have an a.m. and p.m. You can get it at your local drugstore.

My gma,who had skin as smooth as a baby at 75, swore by oil of olay (well she never actually swore, but you know what I mean). So moisturize, but pick one that fits your skin. Mine is oily, still <_< . My gmas was dry, but she was very fair like me (she was Irish).

Using a wash cloth is fine.  It provides gentle exfoliation.  But you need to make sure you use a clean one each time you wash your face.  I learned that from years of dermatologist treatment for acne!

Then you need a gentle cleanser (Cerave, Cetaphil, etc.) and at a minimum some sunscreen during the day and a moisturizing lotion.  Again, something gentle like Cerave is fine for most people.  You can get fancier/more expensive, but it definitely gets the job done.

Do wash your face with a baby washcloth.  It has the right amount of gentle scrubbing.  Don't use super hot water and don't scrub your face to death.  If you have dry skin, eat more salmon and tuna, and/or take a fish oil supplement.  If you have oily skin, use an antibacterial cleansing soap 1x per day (Dial is fine, no need to get something expensive).  If your skin is nuetral, any simple soap will do (Dove is a good choice).  If you spend a lot of time outdoors, use sunblock.

Everything else is genetic, sorry.

So I had no mom. And I've never done anything to my face ever except wipe it with a washcloth while I'm in the shower. I'm 37 now and my face looks older than that I feel like. What does one DO to their face to help keep skin healthy? Someone take pity on me! ;)

Three steps: wash, tone, moisturize. Use something to wash with that is intended for faces not bodies (it can be soap, but not Caress or Dial...something like Neutrogena); follow that with a toner that you apply with a cotton ball/pad; while your face is still damp from the toner, apply moisturizer liberally--something intended for faces, not bodies.

I wash my face at night in the shower with a facial soap similar to Neutrogena (make-up comes off then, of course); in the morning, I wash with a  cleanser, then tone and moisturize. I could probably not wash in the morning except that I use a gel for my rosacea and I feel as if I should wash that off. :-) Otherwise, I'd just just the toner, followed by the moisturizer.

I've been doing this since I was 18 or 19. I've used a variety of products with pretty much the same results (although not usually inexpensive store brands; I've used Shaklee products, Jordan Essentials, Clinique, Paula what's-her-name, and Artistry. I stay with Artistry, Amway's skin care line, 'cuz I'm an Amway distributor :001_smile: and I'm happy with the results, so I might as well buy from myself, lol).

What kind of skin do you have?  Oily, dry, combination?  Sensitive, tanned, wrinkled, pale, red?  The kind of skin you have will dictate the kind of care you give it :) 

I have combination skin, tan moderately, and almost never get acne.  So, I wash my face periodically with cleanser (in the evenings, when I remember, which is a few nights a week), and every morning I splash water on it and then put in a creamy moisturizer (that has SPF, I think it's Oil of Olay?) because my face feels dry without it.  That's it.  If I had another skin type, though, I would probably need to do more to get the same results that I currently have.

Less is more :). With the exception of exfoliating once a month or so I'd just wash your face gently with your hands, no washcloth.

The least expensive way to proceed would be the sensitive skin neutrogena bar and ponds cold cream. Sunscreen of your choice during the day.

If you are able to spend a bit more a vitamin c serum and chemical peels will help immensely, along with a rich night cream and eye cream to really keep things moisturized. I prefer a much lighter lotion during the day but I really go heavy at night with my combination skin :)

And if you are like me and need things really, really simple, get a system. This I the one I use and love, and I have sensitive skin that is acne prone, in a fairly extremely climate. I was fairly amazed it didn't break me out :)

http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product?sku=5791

This set probably lasts me 2-3 months on average. A little less if I wear makeup more frequently and a little more if I'm at home and barefaced.

Someone else mentioned it but I am going to reiterate - proper diet and hydration is a MUST. Oily fish, flax, and pleeeeenty of fresh water every day will help more than the most expensive treatments. Once you have proper hydration and sufficient dietary fat, the rest is much easier.

There's nothing wrong with a washcloth, but there's nothing great about it either. A chemical exfoliant, in my experience, does a much better job than a physical one. An AHA or BHA product makes my skin feel a lot smoother, and look . . . I don't know how to put it exactly but healthier! I like these:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/

And you need a good broad-spectrum sunscreen. That's about it, really: a gentle cleanser, an exfoliant, sunscreen during the day and a moisturizer if you need it at night. That's basic skin care. If you want to do more you can look into retinol products or anti-oxidant serums. Some people swear by toners but I never felt they did anything for me so I stopped spending money and time on them. But if you do get a toner, do your research and make sure all of the ingredients are safe. People put some crazy stuff in toners!

• Like 2

Drink lots of water. This is very important for your skin!

Use sunscreen and wear hats.

I use something like a wash cloth to gently exfoliate everyday, but I could probably do this every other day.

I don't wear makeup daily, besides lipstick so, I don't have a big cleansing routine.

This simple approach has kept my skin pretty elastic. Remember, lots of water.

• Like 1

Well, I am 47. I have always washed my face with cleanser (now Ivory soap) every night before bed. I make sure I put on moisturizer every day with sunscreen and a night time moisturizer every night. I try to wear a hat when I know I'm going to be in the sun. Now that I'm in my 40's I use an alpha-hydroxy cream that my mother has used for the past 25 years. She is in her mid-70's and her skin looks fantastic.

Drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, stay away from sugar as much as possible. Use sunscreen.

I use a gentle cleanser and a good moisturizer. I really like Clinique.

I am 47, don't have any wrinkles and people think I am fifteen years younger than I am.

I had acne till I stopped using face washes and changed my diet from fast food to home cooked. I don't wear make up. I wipe (not scrub) my face with a clean wash cloth during almost every shower. I use the Loreal youth code glass jar stuff after every shower.  The youth code stuff has spf 30 and makes my skin soft and even colored after two weeks of use. I'm on my third jar! A little penny's worth does the whole face. Soft skin seems to look younger even if it's saggy and dark spotted. (I'm over 30 and did a good amount of tanning till recently)

If you wear makeup, coconut oil is a great makeup remover.  I use that, wipe it off with a washcloth, then wash with Dove soap, follow with a moisturizer.  I wear sunscreen moisturizer during the day but not enough--I have age spots.  I need to do an at-home facial or something--my skin is clean and soft but not glowing and amazing.  Need to read some of the ideas here :)

Coconut oil makes a good simple moisturizer at night too, if your skin will tolerate it.

B

• Like 1

Many people swear by the oil cleansing method, but I tried it and it totally messed up my skin. I never had breakouts before and now my skin blemishes so easily. I'm still trying to figure out what will work for me. I have combination skin (oilier in the "T-zone") and live where it's very humid. Skin type and climate will make a big difference in what works for you.

So far I've had decent results from this routine:

1. In morning wipe face with washcloth/warm water. Pat face with soft cloth to dry.

2. After wiping face apply Oil of Olay Regenerist Lotion with Sunscreen.

3. If my face feels sweaty or itchy during the day, I'll apply wipe some witch hazel on (I like Humphreys brand) and then repeat 1 and 2.

4. Before bed I wash with Neutrogena Naturals fresh cleanser.

5. Apply Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal cream. It feels kind of thick at first but absorbs nicely. I've used Oil of Olay Regenerist serum in the past and liked it also.