Menu

Lego build to express vs story starter

displace

Can someone kind of explain these from lego education?  I'm still confused because they seem similar and I'm unsure if there's a curriculum or just a box of legos and software?

I've watched videos, youtube, looked at links and I just need a brief description of what the goal is for them and how they differ. 

I'm looking to use something to help DS be more interactive with learning subjects: reading, science, etc.  His comprehension is fine but I'm looking to make things more engaging and manipulative instead of just talking about everything.

I don't have the Build 2 Express set. 

I do have the StoryStarter Homeschool pack (comes with the Legos, curriculum pack and StoryVisualizer software). We have only touched on the curriculum, but they are building their own stories frequently. 

The pieces are wonderful. So many things I had not seen from Lego-bats, cats, crates, brooms, and there are a lot of character pieces.

The curriculum gives a paragraph or so setting the the scene. The kids are asked to work in groups to complete the story-but could be done individually. The kit comes with building plates so they can build sequential scenes. Then there are reflecting questions to encourage the kids  to think and discuss why they built what they did.  Then there is a "sharing and documenting" section where they are asked to do something in the StoryVisualizer software. 

The StoryVisualizer software is a template. Kids take pictures of their creations and pick a format that fits what they are doing (writing, comic strip, news report, etc). They insert backgrounds, their images, and either text bubbles or type out their story. We plan to use the curriculum next year. They were just having too much fun with the pieces that I didn't want to interfere. However, they are now ready to work on the computer and share their stories with family. 

• Like 1

So there is a setting given, then they create more to the story and then talk about it?  I guess a lot of the teaching happens with summarizing their scenes or elaborating a bigger story.  Would it be transferable to our own subjects or limited to their stories?  For instance, if we read a chapter and I ask DS to summarize in a scene, would that even be possible or too limiting?  I still am not sure how the build to express is different.

Build to Express has printable cards with literary analysis questions that can be applied to any book. Once we got a feel for the cards I don't even use them anymore, I just ask questions and the boys can build or just respond. They used to build everything when they were younger, but in the last few months my oldest prefers to just discuss.

• Like 1

Build to Express has printable cards with literary analysis questions that can be applied to any book. Once we got a feel for the cards I don't even use them anymore, I just ask questions and the boys can build or just respond. They used to build everything when they were younger, but in the last few months my oldest prefers to just discuss.

So Build to express does not have the software, but has the guiding questions.  Is it just like story starter then, but with questions instead of software? 

So Build to express does not have the software, but has the guiding questions.  Is it just like story starter then, but with questions instead of software? 

The Build to Express Lego kits are much smaller and it comes with a CD-ROM of task cards that include the questions for different types of literature. No software. We have both sets and while I love the Story Starter physical Lego kit and agree it has valuable rare pieces, we don't get much use out of the software. We use both kits for building/literary analysis though.

So there is a setting given, then they create more to the story and then talk about it? 

Yes, the curriculum sets the scene and starts the story. You finish the story by building it. There are a few guided questions to use when the story is complete.

I guess a lot of the teaching happens with summarizing their scenes or elaborating a bigger story.  Would it be transferable to our own subjects or limited to their stories?  For instance, if we read a chapter and I ask DS to summarize in a scene, would that even be possible or too limiting? 

Sure, you can use Legos for anything! Keep in mind the StoryStarter pieces are geared towards story telling and maybe medieval history (swords,arches for castles, bows and arrows, etc).

Looking through the stuff we have not done yet, here are some things Lego lists- distinguish character point-of-view and analyze how it impacts the story, dramatize a real event to make it more interesting, create a non-fiction text based on a fictional experience,write an opinion piece..lots more. It really is about analyzing stories. 

The only reason to purchase the StoryVisualizer software is if you want your children to work with digital media in an easy- to- use starter format. If you are Word savy, I believe you could do the same thing with it. But then you have to plan it out. It probably would never get done here.