Menu

Help preparing son to return to public school

kiwi3129

I am hoping to get lots of good advice from everyone. I was recently diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I have always homeschooled our 10-year-old son, who is in 4th grade. While I am hopeful that I can continue to homeschool him for some time now, I feel I also need to get him prepared for entering public school at some time in the future. Up until now we have taken a fairly relaxed approach to our homeschooling. We have been using Math U See which I know uses a much different approach from how math is taught in public school. He is only on Beta now because of the mastery approach.

I would like everyone’s recommendations on what materials to use to get him more on track with what would be expected in public school. I am especially interested in math and language arts, but also would like recommendations for science and history/social studies.

Also, for those of you who pray, please pray for me and my family. Thank you.

• Like 2

Khan academy lists out the "common core" requirements by grade and gives lots of teaching and examples, so you can get an idea where the schools are. (most non-common core places like here in Canada follow a similar sequence but different pace). MUS will align, but not until the end of pre algebra. So, going through that may not be your best option unless he's ready to go faster, which he may not be. Anything common-core aligned should be okay, but coming out of MUS, he will have to test in. 

Honestly, at this age, social studies and science are not cumulative, so keep doing what you are doing. He'll be fine with that. 

LA-see if you can find your local outcomes-whether they are common core or something else. Like many, I disagree with the expectations of most schools for younger kids as regards writing and analysis (they are too much IMHO) but you can get an idea of what they are doing, and prepare your kid. R+S and lots of readings has worked well here. It's more grammar and less writing then the kids here get in school, but it's more developmentally appropriate, and the open and go works for me. I do find it challenging, so my younger kids will likely be working a grade level behind, which will still be ample. 

Lots of prayers for you and your family. 

• Like 2

Could you try contacting the local elementary school and ask them for guidance? With a bit of luck you might be able to talk to a 4th or 5th grade teacher who can show you what they do every day, what books they use, and maybe even assess your son a little. Not like the IEP kind of assessments, but my 2nd grade son's teacher regularly assesses what reading level kids are, etc, and when he switched schools in the middle of K his new K teacher had some little assessments for the 3Rs for new students. Teachers in other grades might have the same thing for kids coming from other schools as well. Schools can just vary so much, district by district, or even within a district there are variations.

Wishing you lots of luck.

• Like 3

Come to think of it, I don't know if you son knows any kids in the public school he would attend (from the playground or sports or w/e), but if he goes to public school at some point because of your cancer, he'd be starting public school during a very stressful time in his life, so it'd be really nice if he knew at least *someone* at the school, whether it's a friendly kid in his class or the teacher, or even just the school psych. Going to school for the first time and being around complete strangers with no-one you know is stressful for any kid, but for a kid who has to because of a parent being terminally ill or dead it would probably be even harder (of course, hoping it doesn't get to that). So, I think it'd be good if your son could get to know some adults or kids at the school somehow.

• Like 1

I am so sorry.

I would consider giving him the CAT (California achievement test) at whatever grade he would be in this year. It is entirely possible that he is just fine.

The CAT test tests math and language arts. It isn't a particularly challenging test, but is used by a lot of districts to make sure kids are at a minimum skill level for grade placement. You can buy it from Seton Testing and administer it yourself. You mail it back and they grade it for you.  It is a scantron (fill in the bubbles) type test.

If you do enroll him, you can at least give the school the results of the test if they ask any questions about where he is academically.

• Like 3

I am hoping to get lots of good advice from everyone. I was recently diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I have always homeschooled our 10-year-old son, who is in 4th grade. While I am hopeful that I can continue to homeschool him for some time now, I feel I also need to get him prepared for entering public school at some time in the future. Up until now we have taken a fairly relaxed approach to our homeschooling. We have been using Math U See which I know uses a much different approach from how math is taught in public school. He is only on Beta now because of the mastery approach.

I would like everyone’s recommendations on what materials to use to get him more on track with what would be expected in public school. I am especially interested in math and language arts, but also would like recommendations for science and history/social studies.

:grouphug: 

Some thoughts:

--You could ask the local school which text series they use for math.  They may loan you a copy, or you could buy the previous edition used on Amazon.  (I wouldn't worry about a TE unless you can get one cheap.)  Ideally, you could get a hold of the 2nd and 3rd grade texts, as well as the 4th grade one.  Then you can see what the other kids will have worked through.  Make a list of the skills he will be expected to know (noting which ones will be retaught at the next level and which are expected to have been mastered).  Look through the books and pick and choose what to do and what to skip, based on what your son already knows.  (For example, if he is decent at addition, you may be able to do the 4th grade chapter, but you may have to move back a year or two for fractions, etc.)  You could do the end-of-chapter review or test to assess whether a particular chapter will be worth working through.  If this seems too much, consider having one of those people who are asking "is there anything I can do" do act as a math tutor or to help you to work out a schedule of lesson plans.

--As others have said, I wouldn't worry about science or social studies content.  That can come from reading library books together with you or on his own.  

--Remember, he can go into school at a grade lower than his age-level, which will take some of the pressure off of him and give him some time to catch up.

--I would give him practice in reading things, and writing "short answer" types of answers to questions about what he has been taught, as schools tend to rely on writing (physical and composition-wise) to assess what a child has learned.  

Besides the basic math, writing, and reading to prep him for school, I would focus on making memories together - the two of you and your family..  

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

--You could ask the local school which text series they use for math.  They may loan you a copy, or you could buy the previous edition used on Amazon.  (I wouldn't worry about a TE unless you can get one cheap.)  Ideally, you could get a hold of the 2nd and 3rd grade texts, as well as the 4th grade one.  Then you can see what the other kids will have worked through.  Make a list of the skills he will be expected to know (noting which ones will be retaught at the next level and which are expected to have been mastered).  Look through the books and pick and choose what to do and what to skip, based on what your son already knows.  (For example, if he is decent at addition, you may be able to do the 4th grade chapter, but you may have to move back a year or two for fractions, etc.)  You could do the end-of-chapter review or test to assess whether a particular chapter will be worth working through.  If this seems too much, consider having one of those people who are asking "is there anything I can do" do act as a math tutor or to help you to work out a schedule of lesson plans.

--As others have said, I wouldn't worry about science or social studies content.  That can come from reading library books together with you or on his own.  

--Remember, he can go into school at a grade lower than his age-level, which will take some of the pressure off of him and give him some time to catch up.

--I would give him practice in reading things, and writing "short answer" types of answers to questions about what he has been taught, as schools tend to rely on writing (physical and composition-wise) to assess what a child has learned.  

Besides the basic math, writing, and reading to prep him for school, I would focus on making memories together - the two of you and your family..  

Kiwi, I will be praying for you.  You must be so scared and worried.  

DS2 is in 4th grade, so I can give you some idea as to what he's been doing this year in Public School.  In Math, they use Scott Foresman Envision Math (which I hate)...and the emphasis has been on mastering multiplication, basic division, some basic geometry, and basic fractions work.  DS1 was homeschooled last year for 4th grade, and Math Mammoth 4A and 4B seemed to do a great job preparing him.

For English, they are working on writing paragraphs, book reports, and the like.  Nothing too major in terms of structure, etc.   My DS1 is in fifth grade, and this focus continues into fifth.  There really is a wide variety of skills in the classroom, so I wouldn't worry too much about being behind if your son can write a paragraph.  If not, work on that.  I think it's Scholastic dollar deals right now, so you might be able to get something like that.   Spelling is just lists...and words are not that hard.  Our school doesn't seem to use a set spelling curriculum.

Science/social studies I wouldn't worry about.  Science is science..I don't think he'd be behind even if he did nothing.  If you wanted to, you could watch some Magic Schoolbus and Bill Nye.  They actually do that on Fridays in class.  Social Studies has focused on US map skills as far as I can tell.  They had to make a poster about a famous American.  That's about it.

Cursive seems to be kind of taught, but sporadically...and nobody requires them to use it.  Some schools gave it up altogether.   Keyboarding is increasing in importance, so your son could work on that as well.  BBC has a free typing program, I believe.  

No idea if this is possible, but you might want to contact your local school board and see if you could enroll your son in a virtual academy for the rest of the year (assuming one exists).  That might serve as a good transition between being at home and school.  

I will be praying for you. :(

I would suggest some more independent for him /hands off for you curriculum for you and your son. 

Teaching textbooks for math

Essentials in writing for writing and grammar

I would also look into spectrum workbooks for maybe science and history ( core aligned), and also spelling if he needs it. Cheap and easy. 

I second the idea of getting a testing for him, whether it be Iowa ( the mom can give that ) or some other achievement test.

It will relieve you mind and let you know that, yes, you are doing a great job.

Hugs

• 3 weeks later...

Please forgive me for just now replying to everyone.  This last month has been a blur of tests, procedures, and doctor appointments.

Thanks to everyone so much for the advice.  I have used it and come up with a plan to have my son ready to begin 5th grade in the fall.  I really appreciate the help.  Resources were mentioned that I was not familiar with.

Also, thanks to those of you who have been praying for me.  Prayers are the only thing that has gotten me and my family through this last month.  I would appreciate continued prayers.

• Like 5

:grouphug:  I am so sorry you are dealing with this. 

I think you have been given some tangible and useful strategies for preparing your son. Like someone else said, I would focus on hitting the basics and making fond, loving memories with your son. As my child who tried school earlier this year said, "There were some things I didn't know as well as kids from school, but there were other areas I knew better." I think helping your child with universal skills such as keeping an assignment book, asking for clarification or help when confused and test taking strategies would be the most useful skills. 

• Like 2

Please forgive me for just now replying to everyone.  This last month has been a blur of tests, procedures, and doctor appointments.

Don't worry about it. You have my best wishes as well.

You should remember that nobody, not even his future teachers if he ends up in public school, seriously expects a child with a very ill parent to learn very much that year, no matter where they are being educated. If you have to put in him in school to focus on you, nobody will blame you if he's not at the level of his classmates in this area or that. He has a bigger concern right now.

Not that you should just ditch schooling, because I bet the routine is comforting and helpful for both of you, but you needn't feel guilty or worry about it. Just focus on taking care of yourself and being with your kid during this rough time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...