Menu

Grammar-stage Geography

Kiara.I

Any suggestions?

I don't think I even know what "Geography" is supposed to cover.  It was never a separate course that I took, I assume it was rolled into Social Studies.  I think you could take an elective one in high school.  All I can really think of when I hear "Geography" is learning country names, and how co-ordinates work.  There must be more to it than that!

So what does grammar-stage Geography look like?  Are there any great curricula for it?

We'll probably use the geography curriculum that's rolled into Classical Catholic Memory (we're secular so we'll just omit the religious aspects). But I am also interested in the wonderfully illustrated Legends & Leagues geography series (the first book is for 1st - 2nd grade and is a shorter introduction; the sequels are more meaty, from what I've heard). Here's a blog review someone here on WTM did of some of the activities.

Evan-Moor Beginning Geography is very popular, but it's not about learning the names of countries, bodies of water, etc. It's about learning cardinal points, how to read simple maps, that kind of thing. DD enjoyed it and it was a good fit for her when she was five. (Every child needs to know those things anyway.) We've also used EM Daily Geography, one week's worth a day as a summer subject. It's ridiculously simple. (Actually, we ended up accelerating to two weeks per day.)

I have my eye on this right now.

Visits-to-Series1.jpg

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/visits-to-geography-series/

Not all geography topics become dated. The topics that used to be covered in the grammar stages seldom become dated.

Books called "Home Geography" were started in grade 3.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12228/12228-h/12228-h.htm

In grades 1 and 2, geography was taught along with nature study and very hands on. It's early here and forget the exact name fo the term used. I need to get on on another device later to find a link.

Grade 4 usually started the first pages of an "Elementary Geography" and most of that, again, is not dated, but towards the end of those first pages is usually a section on the "races of man" that is now considered offensive and entirely incorrect anywhere outside of forensics which has still retained some of the terminologies and divisions. Proofs that the world is round do not include pictures from outer space, but the old ways are still just as good and worthy of discussion.

https://books.google.com/books?id=iz8AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=elementary+geography&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fSMEVeb9LomlNsjAgvAI&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=elementary%20geography&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=M0MAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=elementary+geography&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fSMEVeb9LomlNsjAgvAI&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=elementary%20geography&f=false

There are a number of free geographies at Google books and archive.org. Vintage geograohies have become a bit of a hobby of mine.

Here is a book that is a combination of geography and nature study.

Geographical Nature Study

https://archive.org/details/geographicalnat01payngoog

Geographical readers were also popular. We can now find similar books at our public libraries and bookstores.

Around the World

http://books.google.com/books?id=tP4YAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

I don't know what I would do without the vintage geography resources to at least use as my scope and sequences, even when I use more modern books directly with students.

Legends and Leagues number one was a lot of fun, though very easy.  We're looking forward to the meatier number 2.  My daughter loved the story book presentation and the activities were pretty good.  I'd recommend it. :)

Glad to hear this. We have purchased the first for this summer and South for next year. I bought the ebook version so the kids can read along on tablets as I read it aloud. Just don't buy the ebook version and hope to print it quickly. They limit you to 2 pages at a time (workbook you can print all at once) .

It looks interesting and will keep us on track compared to the sporadic, random geography we do now.

We loved legends and Leagues.  We're doing it out of order, but we did the initial set, then North and we're getting ready to start West.

Are the sets, after the first one, of a similar level of difficulty?  I was thinking of going out of order myself.

• Like 1

For us early grammar geography has been learning the names and locations of the continents along with a small bit about their respective cultures, bio zones, and major landforms and landmarks (think 3-5 per continents). It's very laid back and interest-led, reading picture books set in those continents, cooking traditional foods or going to restaurants, collecting items for our continent box, watching documentaries, talking to people we know from those areas, playing on google maps. We are also learning about directions and the compass rose, how to read maps, the great circles, ect but again, in a laid back way.

Later grammar I plan on teaching them to label all the states, probably when we get to US history. And I'd love love love to road trip around the western United States seeing national parks and landmarks.